Fallout New Vegas: [INT\CHA <2] FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, WITH THEIR WORDS NARF DARF

• CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So is the Anti-Material Rifle better than the Sniper Rifle? Every time I see one in the store, even fully-repaired it seems to have less raw DMG than my Sniper Rifle. Am I reading things wrong, or does ammo make the difference, or what? I keep my Sniper in tip-top shape, so its damage is always maxxed out.
    The Anti-Materiel rifle is significantly more powerful on a shot-to-shot basis and has a bigger magazine, but has a much lower overall dps because it fires far more slowly.

In real terms, an anti-material rifle should be significantly more effective than a sniper rifle because of how most battles are going to be fought; being able to kill an enemy in one hit naturally gives you a massive strategic advantage over situations in which you hit an enemy but just fail to kill him.

However, .50 ammo is far rarer and more expensive than .308 and it can be awkward to craft your own.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Gobi Campaign Scout Rifle is the best sniper-class weapon there is, though. Absolutely ridiculous damage. One-shotting deathclaws errryday.

Granted you need 100 lockpick (or the magazines/clothes) to get it. But it is so worth it.

Graviija on
  • Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    See, in my game, my Sniper Rifle is 71 DAM fully repaired, versus the Anti-Materiel Rifle which is 61 DAM base. DPS-wise, the Sniper, of course, wins out. This is looking at a fully-repaired Gun Runners AM Rifle right now. Which is why I'm so confused...

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    According to the wiki, the sniper rifles have a 5x crit modifier, which means a sneak attack crit with a sniper rifle should do more damage than the anti-materiel one. This is kind of borne out with my experience, though I don't have any numbers. It seems like a sneak attack headshot with the sniper rifle can one-shot tougher stuff than the same with the anti-materiel.

Yougottawanna on
  • DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Graviija wrote: »
    The Gobi Campaign Scout Rifle is the best sniper-class weapon there is, though. Absolutely ridiculous damage. One-shotting deathclaws errryday.

Granted you need 100 lockpick (or the magazines/clothes) to get it. But it is so worth it.

What chems/clothes would get the skill up?

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I'm moseying my way up to Vault 22 from Goodsprings, and come across a group of raiders who seem to have razed and taken over a village. After gently engaging in high caliber, long-distance behavior correction therapy, I amble down to proceed with some post-mortem resource reallocation.

While sorting through some loose caps on a porch, I dimly register the sound of my pal Ed-E make a dull, metallic thump, and think nothing of it. Then I hear Veronica hit the ground. I spin, expecting to find a raider I missed.

Nope.

Fucking Deathclaw.

Somehow managed to tri-laser his ass to death. Barely. I have never backpedaled so furiously in my life.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    See, in my game, my Sniper Rifle is 71 DAM fully repaired, versus the Anti-Materiel Rifle which is 61 DAM base. DPS-wise, the Sniper, of course, wins out. This is looking at a fully-repaired Gun Runners AM Rifle right now. Which is why I'm so confused...

Is your gun skill or strength is below the minimum requirements?

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jesus, my total asshole run (aka, the first kind of playstyle I always play in a WRPG just because I am a totall asshole by heart) has actually come to a dramatic cliffhanger by the time I had to save and turn off the console. For the record, the game has ranked me as an Evil Vegas Crimelord, and I spend most of my time walking around in a checkered suit, armed with knuckledusters, a power fist and a bunch of high munitions explosives. Minor spoilers regarding the power plant quest.
    So, I'm tinkering around in the power plant, and even though extra power would be nice, I figure that I need a death-star esqe orbital cannon to smite the infedels as I rule over vegas in my lucky38 tower with an iron/power fist. As anyone would, I put on my shades and test my new cannon on the NCR troops patrolling the power plant. It works fine, but my mook/hitman, Boone is displeased at the death of his NCR buddies, so I just tell him to settle down and 'promise' I won't hurt anymore NCR which gets him back into line.

I exit the plant and a while later 3 NCR rangers approach me, telling me I have 3 days to improve my relations with them I'll be on their hitlist. For once, I show some restraint and say things will improve as I don't want that NCR sympathiser behind me plugging me in the back with a sniper rifle after I introduce his pals to the buisness end of my grenade launcher. At this point, I had to save and quit.

Now, I haven't completed Boone's personal quest, and there is a very likley chance I'll not improve relations with his faction, so, I have 3 days to try and get Boone's trust and get his quest done. After that, I'm going to have to start killing NCR rangers, most likley causing Boone to go hostile.

I'm really curious as to what will happen. Will I get his quest done and earn his trust enough to help me fight off the NCR? Get his quest done, then have to plug him in the back to stop him trying to kill me when the NCR comes for me? Will I somehow conjure up a small glimmer of human decency and try to make amends with the NCR as to keep my hitman alive for future protection?

Tune in next time, folks!

By the way, don't spoil anything for me, this is the best glimmer of a 'story' I've had so far in this game :P

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not sure of the specifics on the clothes, but the magazines are always going to be your best bet (especially if you took the Comprehension perk). Best bet on finding some would be just hitting up the wiki. I always leveled up the skill naturally, so I never really kept a lookout for lockpick boosting stuff.

Graviija on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

According to the guide, the Gobi's damage is actually 2 points lower than the snipers; 60 vs 62.

I sold mine because a fully upgraded sniper is more useful (silenced), and because I like caps.

Edit: Deathclaw hunting on my guns dude is Me with a Sniper (.308 handload) and Boone with the AMRifle (.50 handload). He's there to throw down DPS if I don't get the headshot.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited October 2010
    Is there a downside to killing the fuck out of Caesar if you're helping Mr. House?

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    nvm, works fine. :p

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

According to the guide, the Gobi's damage is actually 2 points lower than the snipers; 60 vs 62.

I sold mine because a fully upgraded sniper is more useful (silenced), and because I like caps.

Edit: Deathclaw hunting on my guns dude is Me with a Sniper (.308 handload) and Boone with the AMRifle (.50 handload). He's there to throw down DPS if I don't get the headshot.

Anti-Materiel rifle is far superior to your meager sniper rifle.

Buttcleft on
    edited October 2010
    yeah ahh, AMR makes the sniper rifle look like garbage.

Minerva_SC on
    I'm dead serious."
    edited October 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Anti-Materiel rifle is far superior to your meager sniper rifle.
    Yeah, but if I can get the headshot it's a kill anyway. If not, I want Mr. Laser Accuracy backing me up with all the firepower we can muster.

OptimusZed on

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    AMR SUPERIOR

SNIPER RIFLE INFERIOR

SO SAYS SOUNDWAVE.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Is your gun skill or strength is below the minimum requirements?

My STR is 9 (7 Base w/ Implant + PWR Armor) and my Guns skill is 97.

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Wiki says the gobi rifle deteriorates more slowly, but the silencer more than makes up for that.

Tanolen on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    AMR SUPERIOR

SNIPER RIFLE INFERIOR

SO SAYS SOUNDWAVE.

You're all wrong. Silenced Sniper > AMR all day every day. Once the shit hits the fan though, AMR with .50 Match or Incendiary is where it's at, though.

BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE SUPPRESSOR!!!!!

(Insert awesome video of someone making bad guys curious as to why their comrades are doing random backflips.)

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've sniped with both the AMR and the Sniper Rifle/Gobi Rifle. In my experience for sniper (ie, sneak attack crits), the Gobi/Sniper is better, or maybe I've just had better luck with it.

Yougottawanna on
    edited October 2010
    AMR SUPERIOR

SNIPER RIFLE INFERIOR

SO SAYS SOUNDWAVE.

I have to agree with Soundwave.

Anti-Materiel Rifle has double the damage of the Sniper Rifle.

That, combined with Sneak Attack criticals, will ruin peoples day

Buttcleft on
    edited October 2010
    AMR SUPERIOR

SNIPER RIFLE INFERIOR

SO SAYS SOUNDWAVE.

Seriously, you guys are missing the point. The AMR is fucking loud.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited October 2010
    AMR SUPERIOR

SNIPER RIFLE INFERIOR

SO SAYS SOUNDWAVE.

It dosnt matter when you are hitting your target from 3 miles away

Buttcleft on
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    AMR SUPERIOR

SNIPER RIFLE INFERIOR

SO SAYS SOUNDWAVE.

My God. These sounds like amazing guns. Why did I pick energy weapons? Why!!! Wait, I need to play with my new Gauss Rifle first.

BTW, is there a named Gauss Rifle?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    AMR SUPERIOR

SNIPER RIFLE INFERIOR

SO SAYS SOUNDWAVE.

I always seemed to get spotted by the other guys when I was picking people off with the AMR. With the Silenced Sniper I took out a whole camp of NCR dudes from barely 100 yards out without a hint of detection.

EDIT: I wish I would have done Energy Weapons first. Doing it on the second go-round is just making me miss GUNS.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited October 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    AMR SUPERIOR

SNIPER RIFLE INFERIOR

SO SAYS SOUNDWAVE.

My God. These sounds like amazing guns. Why did I pick energy weapons? Why!!! Wait, I need to play with my new Gauss Rifle first.

There is, but I think you have to play without Wild Wasteland to get it.

Buttcleft on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    AMR SUPERIOR

SNIPER RIFLE INFERIOR

SO SAYS SOUNDWAVE.

Now if only I could see that far. *rambles about PC gaming dying*

Big Classy on
    edited October 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    AMR SUPERIOR

SNIPER RIFLE INFERIOR

SO SAYS SOUNDWAVE.

I can see that far in my game smug.gif

Buttcleft on
    edited October 2010
    AMR SUPERIOR

SNIPER RIFLE INFERIOR

SO SAYS SOUNDWAVE.

Enemies that are out of sight range will load when you scope in. I just find a high vantage, look through the scope, and make a quick pass.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited October 2010
    AMR SUPERIOR

SNIPER RIFLE INFERIOR

SO SAYS SOUNDWAVE.

Enemies that are out of sight range will load when you scope in. I just find a high vantage, look through the scope, and make a quick pass.

What? Really?

You people are making me want to start a new character this weekend. I could hunt deathclaws throughout the Mojave. Mmmm...

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    Oh, on a completely different subject:

"You'll Know it When It Happens" is one of the best quests I've ever done in any game ever.

Not enough :^: in the world.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

"You'll Know it When It Happens" is one of the best quests I've ever done in any game ever.

I think that quest was bugged for me. I had NCR dudes "discovering" me right and left for no apparent reason.

Darlan on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Where do I find scrap electronics? I can find sensor modules everywhere, but I really need scrap electronics. trying to fix up Ed-E

Kadoken on
    edited October 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    AMR SUPERIOR

SNIPER RIFLE INFERIOR

SO SAYS SOUNDWAVE.

Don't worry.

You've got the Gauss Rifle and the Multiplas.

OptimusZed on

edited October 2010
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Where do I find scrap electronics? I can find sensor modules everywhere, but I really need scrap electronics. trying to fix up Ed-E

The Novac gas station has enough to fix her, I think.

OptimusZed on

edited October 2010
    Kadoken wrote: »

Check the rocket factory near Novac. (REPCON or something)
    There is an insane amount of junk their.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    Darlan wrote: »

I think that quest was bugged for me. I had NCR dudes "discovering" me right and left for no apparent reason.

Yeah, it bugged out a bunch on me, too. If I drew a weapon while wearing NCR armor, the crowd freaked the fuck out. I did it in my normal armor and no one batted an eye. Fortunately, you can screw up, and still pass the mission. Namely:
    If you scare the crowd, the president bails out, and you complete the quest.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited October 2010
    Gunrs are great and all, but after 50 hours i want to try some diff weapon types. My second char is EW/explosives with some melee thrown in. Flamer+Grenade launcher+giant sword should be fun, that is if anything can get near me with boone/ED (I didn't use either on my first char.)

Minerva_SC on
    I'm dead serious."
    edited October 2010
    I went Energy Weapons/ Explosives on my first character.

I'm going guns now, and enjoying it. There's a very different feel to the game between the plasma/laser stuff and a shotgun loaded with slugs.

OptimusZed on

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I went Energy Weapons/ Explosives on my first character.

I'm going guns now, and enjoying it. There's a very different feel to the game between the plasma/laser stuff and a shotgun loaded with slugs.

Do yourself a favor at some point on that guns character. Poke around Vault 34, find you a little prize in there. Sweet little gun that'll knock the wheat chaff out your mouth.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
This discussion has been closed.