Options

Sometimes Books Are Turned Into Things that Move...

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Seriously, the DCAU is awesome. I wish I liked DC enough to read more of the books.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    not understanding that line of logic at all

I mean why would you not want more of the characters you be diggin' in that there show

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's not that I dig the characters. The animation is always great, and the storylines are usually really good. I just get past the fact that I'm watching a DC and focus on the good parts of it.

spookymuffin on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    what

that makes even less sense

the stories wouldn't even work if the characters weren't the characters they were

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So you're telling me I couldn't possibly enjoy watching some dude throw another dude through a building unless I knew who they were? Impossible.

spookymuffin on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I mean why would you not want more of the characters you be diggin' in that there show
    Well let's be fair. A lot of the characters in the DCAU, don't line up with their comic book counterparts.

DCAU Question certainly isn't Renee Montoya. Shit, DCAU Question wasn't really Vic Sage, when he was still alive. Same for DCAU Booster Gold, Green Lantern, etc.

Plus, the DCAU had a lot less rape, amputation, and murder than the comics, so the tone's a bit different.

Munch on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    spookymuffin, the words you are saying make you sound like a crazy person.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Munch wrote: »

Well let's be fair. A lot of the characters in the DCAU, don't line up with their comic book counterparts.

DCAU Question certainly isn't Renee Montoya. Shit, DCAU Question wasn't really Vic Sage, when he was still alive. Same for DCAU Booster Gold, Green Lantern, etc.

Plus, the DCAU had a lot less rape, amputation, and murder than the comics, so the tone's a bit different.

Most of the time they change the mainline DC characters to be more like the animated versions though, especially for "second tier" characters. Like remember how Booster Gold had that episode where the whole thing was about him seeking fame, but then saving the world with nobody knowing about it? Guess what now his character is about secretly saving the universe with nobody knowing about it.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also DCAU has less continuity

which is undoubtably a barrier to entry for some

Solar on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, current rumor out is that the Captain America teaser will air next week in front of The Adjustment Bureau and/or Rango and/or Take Me Home Tonight, Green Latern Trailer 2 will air on 3/25 in front of Sucker Punch, and the second Captain America trailer will air in front of Thor on 5/5.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so I just watched All Star Superman

oh my

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

oh my

Had you read it before hand? Just curious

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    is that a good or a bad "oh my"

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2011
    it's good

i think you'd like it, centipede damascus

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I hope so, I took a chance and ordered it off of Amazon last week

it is taking forever to get here

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

oh my

Had you read it before hand? Just curious

I had not. I think I maybe read the first issue. Maybe.

I hope so, I took a chance and ordered it off of Amazon last week

it is taking forever to get here

it is a great time.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I watched All Star Superman a second time with my roomates today.

As much as I love the DC DTVs, this is honestly the first one that has grown on me with the second viewing (although I imagine Wonder Woman would as well; I should watch that one again).

I think once I got over the hangups of what they cut out and how the structure and some of the characters and dialog were tweaked a little, it's actually really fantastic and it works a lot better in a film structure than something like Under the Red Hood did.

People say the pacing made it feel too long or whatever, and it does feel a lot longer than it is. But somehow I actually like it more. It really feels like there's this whole world and mythology to crawl around inside of, and this really beautiful world to just chew on and enjoy for the duration.

James Denton's voice acting grew a little bit on me as well.

I really love this movie.

Timm and Co have been kicking so much ass on these things. There isn't a single one that I would say is less than fun, and the majority of them have been excellent (particularly ASS, Wonder Woman, Red Hood, Crisis). I'm a bit bummed out because I don't think the next two will live up to the ones we've had since 2010.

Also, I finally watched the shorts compilation DVD. The Spectre is still amazing; probably the best one. The Greg Weisman Green Arrow short was also really fantastic; I hadn't seen it before, and it was just spectacular. Jonah Hex was a little slow, and Superman/Shazam itself I found to be very dull. All fighting with hardly any story.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Not knowing All Star Superman beforehand may have made the movie much much better for me.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ya, that's why I had asked, I was in the group that hadn't read it, and I liked the movie enough to go get the TPB's after, and then thoroughly enjoyed those as well.

But I've noticed those that had read it first, didn't like the movie as much as those that hadn't read it/read it after.

So at least those that didn't like it can be glad it caused at least 1 person to get the TPB's as well.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So it's basically the same situation that happens with almost every book that gets turned into a movie, huh?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's odd because so many of these either haven't been direct adaptations (Crisis, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Batmanime), and most of the ones that have been are from source material that was huge when it first came out but isn't exactly in favor or well remembered anymore (Red Hood, Superman/Batman 1 and 2).

So the only ones that have had a lot of auditory complaining are New Frontier and now All Star Superman, the only ones based on well-respected materials so far.

I left Doomsday out of there because it was a loose adaption that kind of bled between all the categories, and looking back, it felt like a really clumsy prototype for what these films would later become.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I'm watching Fairly Legal, a USA show and there's the usual hip but geeky side character. He keeps mentioning how he's going to enter a design your own superhero costume for the "largest graphic novel publisher". And he keeps saying graphic novels, even though it's obvious it's meant to be comic books.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Apperently comic books are still considered to be something childish but the term graphic novel, oh that sounds so much more sophisticated. The defining line between boyhood and manhood seems to be the act of trade-waiting.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The defining line between boyhood and manhood seems to be the act of trade-waiting.

Saving that line, because it seems to be true among hollywood and other media.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm in the limbo of man-child then... damnit

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2011/02/26/sneak-peek-four-green-lantern-movie-wall-posters

Is that fucking Gamera?

THIS MOVIE IS GOING TO BE AWESOME

Bloods End on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The first poster, the upper left part. I assume that's fear-bug.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Bloods End wrote: »

I think that's going to be Isamot. Dude looks a lot different than his comic counterpart, I hope they don't do what they did to Salaak and Voz and make him look more like the movie version.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Apperently comic books are still considered to be something childish but the term graphic novel, oh that sounds so much more sophisticated. The defining line between boyhood and manhood seems to be the act of trade-waiting.

yeah, in my mind, graphic novels are either written as a short mini series and then collected as a trade, or straight up produced as a finished whole already.

Comics that are collected into a trade format aren't graphic novels.

It shouldn't really have a maturity factor to it. One is the on-going serials, and the other is a shorter, more clearly defined work.

Langly on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Eh, "Comic Book" has the greasy nerd stigma attached to it. Graphic Novel on the other hand, doesn't have that baggage, and also sounds like ten times more sophisticated.

It's dumb, but it's also not much of a surprise.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Langly wrote: »

yeah, in my mind, graphic novels are either written as a short mini series and then collected as a trade, or straight up produced as a finished whole already.

It shouldn't really have a maturity factor to it. One is the on-going serials, and the other is a shorter, more clearly defined work.

That's true, but do you think that they know the difference?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Langly wrote: »

I don't know if I agree. I think you could release a single issue book that tells a concise story and still consider it a graphic novel.

To me the whole debate is completely asinine - they are all different words for the same thing. It's like "film", "movies", and "cinema".

That's just my opinion though.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wait, do you mean like, a single 32 page book?

That would be a graphic novel under Langly's rules of comics.

It would just be short. Comic books are serials that never really end.

My rule is law.

Langly on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So according to ComicAlliance Greg Horn is doing the art for the Spiderman Turn off the dark merchandise and program. And man, I guess the only thing the guy can draw is women?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    noir_blood wrote: »
    So according to ComicAlliance Greg Horn is doing the art for the Spiderman Turn off the dark merchandise and program. And man, I guess the only thing the guy can draw is women?

He's done some covers for Emerald Warriors where he showed some range beyond women but some of those Spider-Man images look rather generic (and the webs looks like a rope, not web).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All Star Superman was awesome. The special features are worth a look as well. I look forward to watching with the commentary this weekend. The only complaint I have is that there was not all that much action and the first 30 minutes was kind of blah.

Emerald Knights is looking like it will be good. However I think overall First Flights voice cast is better.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TexiKen on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    New photo from First Class of Black King and White Queen:

xmen-first-class-jones-bacon.jpg

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kevin Bacon

Kevin

Bacon

Solar on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, my 6 Degrees Meter just made me want to watch this movie.

Wildcat on