As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WE HAVE A SERVER! BUY NOW! MINECRAFT!

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    He Vic, I've got gold if you wanna give me a grass block. =P

sarukun on
  • Options
    hiartbillhiartbill Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    err, yes, I Ctrl+C'd, when I meant to Ctrl+A+D. Sorry :P

hiartbill on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Vic can you clear my server-side character file please

there seems to be a problem with it where I lose the ability to pick up any items off the ground or to die from fall damage but I'm not lagging in the slightest

i also experience massive massive chop lag which didn't start happening until the first occurrence of that "i can't die or pick shit up" bug

i'm 90% sure it's tied to my server-side character file so I put everything I had into chests, it's safe to wipe me so I have a fresh start next time I connect

i know it's not clientside because is spent half an hour on bill's to test it and everything ran smooth

T4CT on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blargh. The server is so weird sometimes.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    T4CT wrote: »

there seems to be a problem with it where I lose the ability to pick up any items off the ground or to die from fall damage but I'm not lagging in the slightest

i also experience massive massive chop lag which didn't start happening until the first occurrence of that "i can't die or pick shit up" bug

i'm 90% sure it's tied to my server-side character file so I put everything I had into chests, it's safe to wipe me so I have a fresh start next time I connect

i know it's not clientside because is spent half an hour on bill's to test it and everything ran smooth

Done.

Vic on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wooo he got a bug tracker

http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang

skettios on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    okay seriously how do you use the texture installer built into the client

i only get to play this like once a week now, so pretty much every time i play there's an update

which means haha gotta reinstall your texture pack, asshole

Squall on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    T4CT wrote: »

Probably this: http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/topics/if_armor_is_worn_and_you_die_it_causes_player_corruption. Sounds pretty close to what you were experiencing.

Edit: Although I just tried to reproduce it and had no corruption issues, so it may be somewhat random.

hiartbill on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Squall wrote: »
    okay seriously how do you use the texture installer built into the client

i only get to play this like once a week now, so pretty much every time i play there's an update

which means haha gotta reinstall your texture pack, asshole

Simply take the texture pack, zip it up if it isnt already, then put the zip file into the texturepacks folder. then when you open minecraft and press the texture packs button it should show you the default texture pack and all others you have put in the folder.

Edit: And I am all for bills idea of keeping the server peaceful for now, since the underdark satiates my monster killing needs.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    okay cool, i didn't have it zipped before

I'll have to try that tonight, thanks

Squall on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So one of my friends gave this to me as an early Christmas present. When I fail out of school and end up as a hobo on the streets, I'm blaming him.

I don't think there is any other game where I could completely lose my house and everything I've done so far and still keep playing. Three times.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    How do people feel about Stargate replacing warps? We can adjust permissions so anyone can make one (provided they gather the obsidian themselves), and only mods/admins can destroy them. Or leave it as only mods/admins can actually activate them (to avoid clutter, or portals over lava), but beyond that there would be no limitation on how many a person could make (with their obsidian). Or maybe builders can both build and destroy them, we don't really have a griefing problem and that would be nice for people to have so they don't bother mods much. I need input here!

hiartbill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    skettios wrote: »
    wooo he got a bug tracker

http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang

I like this.

I'm also not nearly as concerned about the lighting bug as I once was. CPU use is still higher than I would like, but I don't think that's a major issue anymore. I'm working on tuning the garbage collector to fix the random hangs (I'm nearly certain those are GC related). The CPU use should go down when Notch optimizes his algorithm; that's really just a matter of time (hopefully this week?!).

hiartbill on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gonna crosspost this stuff:

So, Notch's bug reporting system.

Naturally, it's already being inundated with stupid shit like "WHEN I CLICK QUIT THE GAME CLOSES", but I thought I'd mention it here because it's been almost a month since Notch dropped that Halloween patch with the lighting bugs on us, and he hasn't bothered fixing it yet in lieu of doing, well, just about anything else.

I'm wondering if we can use this to bring it to his attention.

http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/topics/lighting_bug_near_the_bottom_of_maps_is_causing_major_problems

It may not be as big an issue on hiart's server, but we've lost a ton of work because of it on mine because of how low to the bottom of the map we built.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I've added myself to the "I have this problem"
    That's what we need to do right? Get a bunch of those?

skettios on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I mean, Notch has already commented on needing to entirely re-write the lighting code. He knows it's a serious problem.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Who should I contact about being hilariously out of my league in a server with other people?

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I mean, Notch has already commented on needing to entirely re-write the lighting code. He knows it's a serious problem.

Yeah, I wish he would prioritize that though :(. It would be nice to have resource use back to pre-Halloween levels.

To Ein: Have you upped your heap size yet?

hiartbill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This will probably help him prioritize what needs to be fixed.
    I mean, he knows of issues sure.. but which ones should he work on first?

skettios on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeah, but then we've been waiting almost a month since he identified it as a serious problem, and in that time instead of addressing it he's piling more broken stuff ontop.

I understand it's alpha, but the point of having this whole bug reporting system is to identify priorities, like Skettios said. The more people we can get onboard, the better.

Bill: My settings are already optimized, I did that weeks ago. The reason you don't seem to be suffering from the lighting bug is simply because you've engineered your map to fill the problem areas close to the bottom of the world in. Wouldn't help us, unfortunately. :\

Ein on
  • Options
    IrtehmongooseIrtehmongoose Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I haven't played for a bit, thanks to this stupid game where you sell fake items to fake people, but I will sign the thingy to tell Notch to make the server run better.

Irtehmongoose on
  • Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    this stupid game where you sell fake items to fake people

what game?

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Recettear, I have put a stupid amount of time into it so far.

Irtehmongoose on
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    this stupid game where you sell fake items to fake people

what game?

It sounds like he's talking about Recettear: an item shop's tale. It's on steam and was in one of the indie packs the other day and apparently it's quite good.

I am secretly mongooses alt

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    noooo i shoulda bought the indie pack!

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    it's so good and cute and addicting
    <3 mongoose for telling me to buy it

Capitalism, ho!

skettios on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    its like, £13 and i spent so much money today. aaaugh *downloads demo instead*

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    If anyone here wants World of Goo Ive got 3 copies left to gift to people, just hop over to the steam thread and give me your steam ID.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    TiBTiB Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    its like, £13 and i spent so much money today. aaaugh *downloads demo instead*

Oh ho ho, you kid yourself

TiB on
    SatW.jpg
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I am still kicking myself for not getting the indie story pack

Hoping it comes back for the Christmas sale

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    FlatEric wrote: »

I am too, I wised up and snagged the indie air pack though.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ultimakay wrote: »
    If anyone here wants World of Goo Ive got 3 copies left to gift to people, just hop over to the steam thread and give me your steam ID.

I have already purchased that more than once, but that is an awesomely generous offer.

Irtehmongoose on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ultimakay wrote: »
    FlatEric wrote: »

I am too, I wised up and snagged the indie air pack though.

Last time it was on sale I bought DogFighter, and I already owned flotilla from an earlier sale, so I decided to pass on the air pack. I'm hearing good things about it though.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    hiartbill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    hiartbill wrote: »

This is sooo cool. I would love to see this implemented!

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I am excited for this. Launchers/catchers especially

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh God I'd have to learn how to use redstone.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Haha, it seems Notch may not have fixed minecarts/boats afterall: http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/topics/smp_minecarts_still_have_chunk_issues_if_the_chunk_you_started_in_unloads. Who wants to help me test this before I install Minecart Mania? :P

hiartbill on
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    i use that minecart mania for the autocart mode only. unfortunately, it is not quite as good as the original autocart. when you get out of a cart, it has a tendency to go flying away.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Haha, it seems Notch may not have fixed minecarts/boats afterall: http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/topics/smp_minecarts_still_have_chunk_issues_if_the_chunk_you_started_in_unloads. Who wants to help me test this before I install Minecart Mania? :P

I suppose I will. You just need someone to lay down a bunch of track and ride it?

MrMonroe on
This discussion has been closed.