As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

But its for the kids...

MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm toying with the idea of getting a console system for the kidling for Xmas (he's 4) Am i better off getting a Wii, a PS3 with Move, or a 360 with Kinect. I'm trying to convince the missus that we should get one, just need advice on which once.

Obviously its for the kid, but I'd be playing it with him.

Thoiughts?

ready.... go.

steam:maguano2
gamertag:Maguano71
Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
Maguano on

• Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Both the Wii and 360 will have lots of kid-friendly titles available. (Not familiar with the PS3 lineup)

Are you just looking for games that take advantage of the motion sensor type stuff? The Kinect is pretty cool (though my time with it was brief), however all the games are $50, where you may be able to find a bunch of cheap games for the Wii.

Are there any games that YOU are interested in? I think whichever way you go you'll be able to find games for your kid, maybe let the decided factor be your personal taste?

Lail on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Personally, I'd get a wii.

It already has a back-catalogue of games some that'll be extremely cheap by now, the system itself will likely be less expensive than a 360 and kinect, and it'll be a much easier sell to the wife.

Plus, there's still a good number of really decent games that you'll be able to enjoy yourself.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is price an issue? Wii would obviously be the least expensive of the 3, plus it probably has the best lineup especially for younger gamers.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, the Wii would be your cheapest option, since like everyone is saying the games will be pretty cheap...

That said, I have a Kinect, and my little brothers love it (four and seven). I mean LOVE it. The simplicity of the Kinect really is great, and the fact that it senses your whole body really amazes them. So if money wasn't a huge concern, I'd pick up the Kinect + Kinect Sports (and it comes with kinect adventures), which will keep them occupied for quite a while.

billwill on
    I hate you and you hate me.
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    Just from what I've heard about the kinect, What I will say is that it sounds like it has the lowest reading/motor skill factor for entry, so some people are saying while their 4 year old cant always master the wii or ps3 button controls, Kinectimals is easy for a little kid to master without much outside instruction. Basically the skills required are seeing and miming. I don't have a kinect, so this isnt first hand info, but it might be a factor.

For the investment though, the Wii will give you instant gratification with its huge library and its cheaper prices.

Iruka on
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This comic says it all about Kinect.

Edit: Might be NSFW, or your psyche.
    100623.jpg

If he's 4, he's too young to play video games and you shouldn't develop game addicting habits this early ... but if you do have to, you are better off with Wii. It has more cutsey games like Mario Cart, Mario Party, Rabbids, pokemon, etc. PS3 are for older kids (but their online subscription is free.. unlike Xbox)

Seriously this is for yourself, isn't it?

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I personally own a Wii and 360. My neighbor has a PS3 that I get to use often.

PS3 doesn't have the most kid-friendly lineup, although the Move is arguably the best motion device of the three (3D accuracy allowing for precise spacial manipulation like in Tumble can't be done with the other two systems).

Wii will probably be the easiest to find kid games for if you're willing to read reviews and wade through mountains of 3rd-party shovel-ware. It's got the range of Mario titles, Super Monkey Ball, etc. and the virtual console has fantastic classics that every child ought be introduced to. Wii's really got the catalogue size bonus, although most of the best games only come from Nintendo itself. Wii sucks for online, just so you know.

I haven't tried Xbox+Kinect personally. I've heard that it's good, but not as good as the initial claims. At this point there aren't many worthwhile things for Kinect, but the Xbox is a solid system. Good 3rd party developer support. There are definitely general xbox games for kids, for family play time, and for yourself. The Xbox is the most well rounded system and has the superior online experience. Additionally, it (and the PS3) functions as decent media centers for streaming and enjoying music, movies, etc. which the Wii is awful with.

I'd throw my hat in the ring for a 360. It's more expensive than a Wii, but it's a much better bang for your buck, and with good 3rd party support, the flow of decent games is much more consistent than the spurts of Nintendo first party releases for the Wii.
    If he's 4, he's too young to play video games and you shouldn't develop game addicting habits this early

False.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Do you have an HDTV and a blu-ray player currently? Could be a good "bonus" for the PS3 + Move.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If he's 4, he's too young to play video games and you shouldn't develop game addicting habits this early ...

for one, playing games doesn't make one addicted to games
    and really you are not the one to judge whether or not someone else's son is too young do it anyway

i'd say go with wii, or 360 + kinect. but mostly wii because of the cheapness factor, and the huge backlog (including virtual console). while kinect seems to be the easiest to pick up, it's not like the wii is super difficult to use or anything

not that this is a thing, since i believe all consoles have it, but if you don't have it you could get netflix and stream it to the tv. it has all kinds of shows so you can all have things to watch

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maguano wrote: »
    So I'm toying with the idea of getting a console system for the kidling for Xmas (he's 4) Am i better off getting a Wii, a PS3 with Move, or a 360 with Kinect. I'm trying to convince the missus that we should get one, just need advice on which once.

Obviously its for the kid, but I'd be playing it with him.

Thoiughts?

ready.... go.

Wii because it is awesome. There is loads of multiplayer games you can play with your kid and alone.

Julius on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd say the 360 / Kinect because the kid's 4 - this is a present for you, really, and the 360 has the best "traditional" games.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My 4-year-old nephew (well, he's 5 now, but when he WAS 4) had absolutely no problem with the Lego games on the 360. I mean, he knew what the objectives were, he understood the controls, he could figure out the puzzles—there are a lot of kid games on the 360 already, even without Kinect.

So I would say get a 360. You'll probably like it better than a Wii, and your kid is not going to have any problems playing games on it.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The wii will be the best for the kid and the missus without a doubt. But if you're more of a traditional gamer and are looking for something for yourself it will suck. The 360 is probably the best if not the cheapest comprimise.

Casual on
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dont forget you can buy old classics like Mario Bros 1, 2 ,3 , Super Mario World, and such for the wii.

Also upcoming games like Donkey Kong Returns and Epic Mickey.

Get the wii.

Awk on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Do you have a DVD and/or BluRay? If not, I'd go with the PS3. Move requires ($50) controllers, but a lot more accurate than Wii or Kinect.

Kinect has advantage of no controllers, except for non-K games of course, but seems like you need a lot of space to play.

Wii requires controllers, but catalog probably skews the most toward family/kid, though a lot more shovelware too.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd get the Wii - lots of fun games that are child-appropriate and lots of local multiplayer focus so you can play together quite a bit.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Start the kid off right and get him an old NES off of ebay cheap.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    thanks for all the comments. personally i do my gaming on the PC (gasp), so that isn't a factor. Ive got a hdtv, and my blue-ray player has a wireless connection, so we get netflix over that. Seems like the Wii might be the way to go.

off to convince the missus.

oh, btw, thanks for your concern about getting a 4 year old addicted to games. I guess i should have come here 6 months ago before i introduced him to beer and smokes.:winky:

Maguano on
    steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've played video games since I was like 2.

I'm not...

ok I'm only addicted to a couple things. Three.

Five, five things.

look, your kids probably gonna be fine.

Al_wat on