As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] Heroes of Shadow. Dhampyr Vryloka Vampire now possible.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I am confused, we have new essentials class for assassin ready to go, why isn't it in the CB? and I mean Besides ololwotc. Are they not going to keep releases parallel?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The stuff from the new essentials book isn't in there yet either. Not even the race errata from earlier in the month. Or the Dragon magazine essentials things, like the Earth Domain for Warpriests. Hopefully soon?

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It looks like there is code generating a .dnd4e style sheet. You can get at it by going to vecna.wizards.com (be sure to be logged in first with the regular cblauncher as the "not logged in" message locked up my browser) and clicking the Debug tab, you'll see the character data XML that I mentioned grabbing earlier and also a spot for the "character sheet" which appears to be the same idea as .dnd4e files. It uploads to Orokos okay but doesn't parse correctly, since they reorganized some vital things like how race/class/powers/feats are put in. But the gist of it is all the same and would be compatible if I make changes to recognize the new layout.

The good news is that this possibly means an export feature is not far away.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wow uh

is that 'Debug' tab something we are supposed to be able to see

Hachface on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Assuming I wanted to get this stuff out of there, what would I do?
    Copypasta the XML and save it as a .dnd4e in notepad or something?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Assuming I wanted to get this stuff out of there, what would I do?
    Copypasta the XML and save it as a .dnd4e in notepad or something?

Copypasta the "character sheet" (the second box, hit refresh to have it generated) to a text editor and save as Name.dnd4e and voila.

Orokos doesn't support the new format yet and I doubt that the offline CB will work with it either therefore, they changed some crucial things.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    wow uh

In a real development project that is in production, no.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Infidel wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    wow uh

In a real development project that is in production, no.

Had to add emphasis for extra "heh" effect.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Experimental addition of Inherent Bonuses line to saved sheet = failure. Not abject or anything, just didn't work.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Loading the .dnd4e file from the online CB seems to work in the offline builder, except for of course issues with non-existent data getting turned into houseruled elements. Without the Thri-kreen or Dark Sun weapon stuff it breaks my numbers, but everything else seems to show up okay. Interesting.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, someone mentioned that quite a lot of DS stuff is actually coded for the old CB, just not "on" as it were.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, it recognized my houseruled Theme.

Wait, "houseruled Theme"? God dammit, just put the data in like you should have months ago.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That's just amazing. Great job, Wizards.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can someone link to the SE thread or wherever it is that people are seeing DS content in the old builder?

Rius on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Bing Ditches! Motherfucking bing!

Inherent Bonuses a go-go in webCB:
    Add
    <RulesElement name="Inherent Bonuses" type="Internal" internal-id="ID_INTERNAL_INTERNAL_INHERENT_BONUSES" charelem="#######" legality="rules-legal" />

to the "grabbag" section of the file created with the method Infidel outlined above, changing the charelem value to match the rest of the sheet, and import it into the wCB.

Evidence:
    Inherence.png

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    As I mentioned, the CB supports inherent bonuses, it is just asinine that we can't actually just use a checkbox to turn it on or off.

What is amusing is that looking at the interactions with the client and their servers, someone could make their own client and Wizards would not know the difference. It would actually be more functional, since the server API is basically the original CB one and a lot of the missing features are just due to lacking UI.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I know you mentioned it; that's the reason I was even hopeful of getting it to work at all in the first place.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's pretty amusing that thanks to that debug page, you can get the XML and "import" it back in with fixes.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    lol @ your Wizards post, Mr Rose. :^:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Saw that did you?
    :D

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TSI and I were having a discussion about DPR about the new assassin actually. I crunched some numbers using a limited set of equipment that I generally know about and a Slayer with a Battlecrazed weapon is surprisingly good. Zipping around everywhere charging like a maniac, being all "lol immah immune to slow". I actually got really good DPR out of it - not 100% pants exploding spectacular - but really solid. Around 50 DPR or so average and getting up towards 65 - 70 DPR when using power strike. For such a simple class it really does work and this was accomplished without choosing anything obscure rule element wise. Just a horned helm, the right stance and the battlecrazed weapon. If I actually worked on this any further with MBA shenanigans I am sure I could get more.

The best Assassin I could make, stacking static mods to take advantage of vital strike barely pulled 41 DPR or so. I spent a while trying to get as many as possible, assuming CA with a subtle blade and such forth. Overall I found it was pretty damn hard to get anywhere, even with the +8 damage and VS (especially as the best way of hitting was to use a dagger and the poisoned dagger power).

The best thief I made pulled 91 DPR when using backstab though and could get much higher if I actually bothered to look for things that optimized MBAs. Getting around 60 on a regular basis. By the thief is just really really good.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Which?

Rius on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Prob'ly this one.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Rius wrote: »

Which?

Enabling inherent bonuses.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just launching it now for the first time. I hit create new and have now been waiting for 45 seconds for it to ungrey everything and let me do stuff.

Also lol at version 0.1.4.0

edit: Oh shit, I wasn't looking closely, and I hit New, which apparently makes a quick essentials character, and to actually make my own dude I have to hit custom.
    I guess Essentials really is the thing now. :(

grr: when I closed it and hit custom, it asked my if I wanted to recover my level 0 essentials char. I said no. Hit custom, and it let me choose a setting and starting level but is now locked up again. It just says processing at the top and is waiting for vecna at the statusbar. Guess I'll try it out tomorrow or something.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, I wonder how long it would take some decent programmers to write a non-silverlight CB that communicates with vecna, then, if it would actually be possible to do that? Underground CB anyone?

Denada on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hahaha, so I tried loading my character up and started doing other things. Went back to the CB and it's still greyed out and trying to access vecna. That was 10 minutes ago :P

SJ on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Do we know, does the front end filter the choices, or is that done on their servers too? Is it loading a filtered list of powers to select (which would make the most logical sense)?

If so logic for such an interface wouldn't be terrible, you send the right calls to get the correct info back, its more of a translation then anything.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Do we know, does the front end filter the choices, or is that done on their servers too? Is it loading a filtered list of powers to select (which would make the most logical sense)?

If so logic for such an interface wouldn't be terrible, you send the right calls to get the correct info back, its more of a translation then anything.

This is more or less the case. The client is very thin.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The downside is it uses SOAP, ewww.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hahahaha what the FUCK is your DAMAGE, WotC?

This is in regards to the "Final" Assassin Executioner article.
    OK folks, you deserve an explanation. And that is, we messed up.

The article you're seeing and commenting on is not, in fact, the final version of the assassin executioner. Before everyone screams "shenanigans," let me explain what happened.

The magazines and the development team (and everyone else in R&D, for that matter) work on separate calendars. We have our schedule, design has its schedule, development and editing have theirs.

Normally, those things are closely coordinated. In this case, the system broke down.

Back in September, we (being Dragon magazine) promised that the updated assassin would be published in November. Under the impression that it was done, we sent the file through typesetting and posted it. The development team, however, was working toward a December deadline, and had set the assassin aside to deal with other projects. That mis-coordination went unnoticed until today, when one of the developers spotted this thread and realized that something had gone wrong.

The PDF is out there, so we're going to leave it where it is. There's no accelerating the development schedule at this time, because doing so would ripple through other projects that can't be rippled. That means the FINAL final version of the assassin will be available in December, according to Development's schedule.

That's the situation. It's embarrassing, but it's not a conspiracy. We apologize for the confusion.

Steve Winter
    Editor-in-Chief, Dragon magazine

FUCK YOU, Steve Winter and everyone else that's a part of this massive failtrain. Aegeri's Dark Sun game starts on Friday, after months of delays, and I can't even look to you for a simple fucking thing like publishing an article on time and not lying about it's state of development. Really, you all have separate calenders? The braindead retard drone wageslaves who work at my company still know enough to look up each other's project calenders in Outlook, for Christ's sake.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wait, where is that from?

Honestly, what the fuck is going on with Wizards right now.

Edit: Found it.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't even know what to think anymore. 48 hours ago I was eagerly anticipating a refined version of the playtest Executioner. 24 hours ago I was D:, and right now I'm :rotate:.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hah, they updated the Calender page already.
    Despite our earlier claim to the contrary, this version of the assassin executioner turns out to not be the final rendition of the class. There was an unfortunate breakdown in communication between the magazine and development teams. We were working according to our schedule, they were working according to theirs, and the two were not the same. As a result, the class published here is close, but not close enough, to the finished product.

The final, all-in-all-done assassin executioner will be ready in December. We're leaving this not-quite-done version available for readers to play and experiment with. Bear in mind that there will be some differences between this version and the fine-tuned one you'll see in December. We'll also have a "Design & Development" article at that time to explain how and why the class changed from its playtest to finished versions.

We apologize for the confusion.

"FINAL final" and "all-in-all-done" are Bush Administration worthy quotes.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It annoys me as well. Because now I have to assume that when I'm building encounters I'll now have a different character essentially (see what I did there) after a period of time.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yep! And it irritates me because I don't want to switch PCs in December but I won't start on Friday with an Executioner because I have no faith in WotC not to clusterfuck this up further.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Make the encounters harder to compensate for the assassin to be better at a later date. When you murder him horribly in the first encounter, he has to reroll something else. Problem solved.

Honestly I would love to work on an app to act as a character builder, but the limitations right now are that wotc has their gate for the info. Besides major aesthetic upgrades (right clicking for actions and mouse wheel support to name a few), I am at a loss for what people expect besides maybe a linux/smartphone client.

Realistically I'd want to yank all the info for local storage(updated as they update online) but I am 100% sure wotc would never let that fly.

I guess there could be local storage of the characters, importing them back in temporarily to work on them at any time. The point I am trying to make mainly is if someone undertook this, it wouldnt really be that much faster because you still have to send the same information out to WotC, and wait and recieve the changed info back and it would still be the same speed as their app. Personally I haven't had the huge bugs you guys have had, except timeout errors occasionally.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Make the encounters harder to compensate for the assassin to be better at a later date. When you murder him horribly in the first encounter, he has to reroll something else. Problem solved.

This game is actually completely murderous as it is. I might as well turn up on vent in dominatrix outfit with a whip.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's Aegeri and it's Dark Sun; the shit will be hard enough already.

Edit: See? SEE?!?

Edit x2: Aegeri, hit up GTalk if you please?

Rius on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow. Different calendars. Different versions of articles floating all over the place. No confirmation process before posting. It's just like ... man. I don't even know how they would stay in business without MtG backing up their bottom line.

Denada on