As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]The old thread is dead. Long live the new thread.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Why the hell is the engineer so cool

I didn't know I could dual wield muskets. God dangit.

fffffffffff

Rend on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hocky27 wrote: »
    So guys I am wondering what sort of specs are going to be required to run this thing decently (medium settings, solid playable frame rate) ? I realise it might be a bit early to be asking this question but I will be in a foreign country for the rest of the year and thus am looking for a laptop now. I would really like to make sure that what I buy will be able to play this because after reading the last few pages of this thread I want to get this day one.
    It's pretty early, but GW is remarkably good looking for its requirements and I believe ANet is doing something similar with GW2. You might expect to play it on medium settings with a laptop that has 4GB of RAM and any not-entry-level discrete graphics card.

That is a rough guess though I think it is a reasonable expectation.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have a 3.0Ghz Core 2 Duo/8800GT and I expect that I'll be able to run it in some fashion though I'm thinking of building a new computer.

Also, I don't intend on choosing between anything. I am hoping that there are 8 character slots so I can play every profession simultaneously, forever!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I have a 3.0Ghz Core 2 Duo/8800GT and I expect that I'll be able to run it in some fashion though I'm thinking of building a new computer.

Also, I don't intend on choosing between anything. I am hoping that there are 8 character slots so I can play every profession simultaneously, forever!

But then you have Races so you need 8 Slots per race.

OCD Nightmare fuel right there.

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    sidhaethe wrote: »

haven't watched the video yet, but it's a pretty big deal if casey schreiner actually said something similar to this

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    sidhaethe wrote: »

haven't watched the video yet, but it's a pretty big deal if casey schreiner actually said something similar to this

I watched the video, he does declare as such and goes into detail with his co-hosts as to why. I've never heard of this man or show before now, but it's a great piece of exposure and I can tell that he's not as much of an airhead when it comes to video games as some of the people i've seen working for G4TV, which is a plus.

As to computer specs, don't worry too much about it right now. GW was built on great code and looked good for the low specs, and all MMOs in general should shoot for a broader range of machines and graphics cards as part of their design so as to support the 'massively multiplayer' part of the genre.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Speaking of g4tv, this was posted yesterday:

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/54023/The-MMO-Report-Guild-Wars-2-Preview-Special/

Not too much that we dont already know at this point. But still interesting to watch.

Draygo on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Who-Psyd wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »

But then you have Races so you need 8 Slots per race.

OCD Nightmare fuel right there.

Nah, I'll pair up a specific race with each profession. Like a norn ranger so I can get a bear pet while in my bear form. Yo dawg I heard you liked bears so I turned you into a bear so you can tell your bear to terrorize while you terrorize. I don't want to play asura, either. They are straight-up pindicks.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Draygo wrote: »
    Speaking of g4tv, this was posted yesterday:

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/54023/The-MMO-Report-Guild-Wars-2-Preview-Special/

Not too much that we dont already know at this point. But still interesting to watch.

He is right, there is nothing not to like about Polar Bear Monks on Iceburg Sailboat.

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I just remembered that we haven't heard much about the "extended experience" they revealed regarding being able to interact with the game while not playing it, such as with an iPad application. I hope that wasn't scrapped. That was something else I've always wanted to be able to do.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I can't wait until people can stalk me ingame while not even playing!

Xagar on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    KTR has an engineer article up.

KTR purview of the engineer

The only negative point he brings up is that turrets are too much plop down and forget.

on the other side, turrets can gain aggro, and there seems to be quite an engaging and intensive gameplay around using an engineer effectively (higher skill cap).

Draygo on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Draygo wrote: »
    KTR has an engineer article up.

KTR purview of the engineer

The only negative point he brings up is that turrets are too much plop down and forget.

on the other side, turrets can gain aggro, and there seems to be quite an engaging and intensive gameplay around using an engineer effectively (higher skill cap).

Exactly what I want to hear.

Interesting. I wonder if Anet will be reviewing this aspect of turrets and changing it at all? Or maybe they are supposed to be tools you don't need to focus on too much because you already have enough to do as an Engineer.

EDIT: Quoting that article:
    Ravious wrote:
    Playwise I know this might be a stretch, but for me the engineer felt most like the warden class from Lord of the Rings Online. The warden uses gambits, which are basically combos gained from using a set pattern of skills to create the final pattern, and thus skill. The engineer is nothing like that, but the thought processes were very similar. I had to try and think one step ahead by quickly narrowing down a whole field of options. The only MMO class that feels like that, for me, is the warden. It’s almost a meta-game of speed chess built in to the class.

For example, an Ascalon ghost warrior is running at me. What to do? I could Net Shot him to immobilize him, switch to flamethrower to throw down a napalm wall near him and his ghost buddies, Air Blast him back through the flame wall, switch to a grenade satchel and throw down a Freeze Grenade right as he is standing in the flame wall, and then Overcharged Shot him to knockdown as he tries to heal. This is just one combo I thought up. Perhaps two are running at me, so I can’t effectively use Net Shot. Instead I could lay down a turret and overcharge it just as they get to me in the hopes the turret’s DPS and distance draws aggro, and go from there.

The engineer is very similar to the elementalist having four attunements worth of skills, but I feel the engineer is designed more to be the MacGyver of the battlefield, finding on-the-fly solutions to problems. The elementalist’s changing nature is going to be more in line with the tempo of the group and battlefield. Good engineers are going to be in the moment. The best engineers are going to micro-manage their skills with scalpel precision.

I definitely like the sound of this.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Turrets are supposed to be a fixed emplacement. A turret-focused Engineer trades mobility/flexibility for area control.

The active part of Engineer is the tool-belt and kits. Engi is not necessarily supposed to be a "Ritualist replacement", so I think that was a bad way to approach it as far as the KTR article.

Also, don't the turrets have that "overload" skill that they can use?

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I hope they elaborate on the changes to Elementalist (which I plan to main if Mesmer doesn't knock my socks off), they have changed the functionality of weapons according to range to a combination of set roles each weapon will provide. I wonder if they will decide to make them include 2 weapon slots but limit to access to 2 attunements or continue to adjust skills so that a Staff user isn't force to use longe range abilities with all attunements. Also where are my damn Earth skills?!

Tyberius on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The new Elementalist will be in the San Diego comic-con demo later this month, so we will have info on that soon.

I am wondering if we will get to see the reworked Thief as well. I intend to main Thief first, most likely.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    They still haven't revealed the new Sylvari?

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Not until they do their race week release which may be in August if they plan to unveil the Mesmer profession this month.

Tyberius on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Wait, they said they were re-working the thief?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    None of the class designs are final at the moment.

Elementalist is getting a significant change which we will soon see, Necro got rebalanced and the Death Shroud mechanic was changed, and supposedly Thief is getting some re-working also.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The point of the class reveals is to show the direction they're taking the class. It's all subject to change, considering how far out release still is.

The first game changed shitloads between reveal and release. Whole sections of the game and world were removed and added.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's a shame they removed the whole corpse mechanic, it could have been improved by giving players the ability to target what corpse you want to use and being able to drag around corpses (:p or maybe not).

I guess corpses would lag up permanent worlds which is why they removed, but I would like to see them return.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    It's a shame they removed the whole corpse mechanic, it could have been improved by giving players the ability to target what corpse you want to use and being able to drag around corpses (:p or maybe not).

I guess corpses would lag up permanent worlds which is why they removed, but I would like to see them return.

That mission in Guild Wars Prophecies where you're up against dwarf necromancers? And it dawns on you that not only do you have to kill dwarves, you also have to utilize their corpses with your necromancers before the enemy does? Amazing. It was an entirely new layer of twisted strategical fantasy warfare I'd never thought about.

I don't see why corpses couldn't just decay after a minute or whatever.

Frem on
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It'd mean that they'd have to keep feeding you baddies for all prolonged encounters, lest they risk the potency of the class. That leads to certainties in the way each boss fight has to be played out, which can be boring at best, and exploitable at worst.

It's a fun mechanic, but it doesn't work all the time. Doesn't mean they can't introduce it again via events, though.

naengwen on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If they can keep PvP balanced it's looking like this may scratch the PvP itch I've had since I got fed up with Warhammer online. I still get the urge to play because outside of T4 I had a blast PvPing in that game.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Arenanet are pretty good on the PvP balance front. It's what they enjoy as well. The problem Guild Wars had with PvP was the ever widening pool of skills. Like, every year another 300+ skills were dumped into the pool.

With Guild Wars 2, not only is dual classing not changeable, since your secondary is your race, but the pool of skills is a lot more limited. Most of your skillbar is chosen by your weapon class which is also affected by your profession, with a few being selectable. This lets them at least control the flow of skills into each class with expansions. They can add, say, a new warrior weapon, and not have to worry how it's going to completely fuck up balance because of the ranger class because someone figured out that the ranger attributes completely break it, or one of its inscriptions makes it the default goto for casters rather than warriors (HoD swords... what a great idea), since they can just easily make it warrior only.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    How was gear handled? Did they have gear you could get that let you just completely dominate someone who just hit max level? that's what was the worst about warhammer. Fresh 40s are almost useless against someone who's been playing since launch.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    How was gear handled? Did they have gear you could get that let you just completely dominate someone who just hit max level? that's what was the worst about warhammer. Fresh 40s are almost useless against someone who's been playing since launch.

In guild wars 1 gear was a moderately big deal, but you could literally click a button to customize and receive a set of gear that was close enough to optimal that the difference was negligible. Unlike in other MMOs, in GW1 you didn't gain stats from gear, it was mostly abilities that procced or minor additional health or energy.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Perfect! I've always hated the stat progression on gear in PvP, but procs/abilities seemed like a reasonable replacement (as long as they weren't ZOMG OP.)

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    In GW2 competitive PvP everyone will have access to max-stat gear from the start. It should be a completely level playing field. Skill only.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Rend wrote: »

In guild wars 1 gear was a moderately big deal, but you could literally click a button to customize and receive a set of gear that was close enough to optimal that the difference was negligible. Unlike in other MMOs, in GW1 you didn't gain stats from gear, it was mostly abilities that procced or minor additional health or energy.

It should be worth noting that it took a long time to get PvP characters to that point for Arenanet. For a while, they had max level armour and one weapon set. Weapon switching is a huge deal in PvP. Like, when monking, starting on a negative energy set, swapping to a wand/stave set when extra energy is needed, swapping to a max energy, low regen set when retreating, is pretty standard. And PvP characters couldn't do it unless they grabbed some un-customised weapons in PvE and put them in their account storage box.

What PvP characters get now - multiple weapon sets that are fully customisable, ways to get new weapon skins, etc were all brought in, ironically, about the time Arenanet shifted to GW 2 development and put GW 1 PvP on auto(matic tournament) pilot. When PvP was a thing that was supported by Arenanet with world tournaments, PvE characters were what you needed, since you could have shitloads of weapon and armour sets. The weapons were generally easy to get, but the requirement of a PvP character to be competitive in PvP rankled with a lot of people.

However, Arenanet know this now. From what they've said, when you go into PvP, it's basically like PvP is now. You get access to everything. You just can't keep it when you leave and go back to PvE. Which, really is a far better system.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    One thing though - back in Prophecies, power creep was much less. You didn't have things like massive energy burn/denial, dervishes spreading conditions so fast a RC monk couldn't keep up, Fevered Dreams mucking shit up etc. Did you see the latest MAT? Triple Dervish simply rolled over everything. Monking is really much harder now than it was back then.

Note that I don't agree with your point that PvP really needs to be UAX from the start to give it a good player base though. I remember the shenanigans back that resulted from selling unidentified Sup. Vigor runes so that people could just unlock what pretty much is a mandatory item.

Slimcea on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ClinicMindClinicMind Registered User new member
    edited July 2011
    Can't wait for this game to come out XD

ClinicMind on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Slimcea wrote: »
    One thing though - back in Prophecies, power creep was much less. You didn't have things like massive energy burn/denial, dervishes spreading conditions so fast a RC monk couldn't keep up, Fevered Dreams mucking shit up etc. Did you see the latest MAT? Triple Dervish simply rolled over everything. Monking is really much harder now than it was back then.

Note that I don't agree with your point that PvP really needs to be UAX from the start to give it a good player base though. I remember the shenanigans back that resulted from selling unidentified Sup. Vigor runes so that people could just unlock what pretty much is a mandatory item.

I remember e-denial being big in the meta around the time monks were doing boon prot, and that was pre-factions.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Slimcea wrote: »

There was definitely energy denial in Prophecies PvP. The energy denial skills were, IIRC, nerfed after the first GWWC. Monking was harder then? Boon prot monks say hello. They make current monk builds look tame. Energy denial came from this - you basically needed it to get the boon prot monks down. It wasn't automatic like a LoD monk, but you were almost invincible until either the boon prot was denied energy for a few minutes or killed by a lucky spike.

You also had power creep in the form of spike builds, which were all the rage before the GWWC. Ranger spike (which, I admit, I loved), 'rainbow' spike, etc. The top guild of the time (EP) exclusively played rainbow spike. In fact, it's the reason why they failed to qualify for the GWWC. Which is a hilarious story. But those spike builds rolled over everything until the start of the GWWC, when the 4 big players pulled out their warrior pressure builds they'd been practising against solely each other secretly.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    I played Boon Prot back then. Perhaps my memories were vague, but mesmers tended to be less e-burn and more blackout/interrupt based. Regardless, I could be wrong though. I quit for WoW approximately a month after Sorrow's Furnace was released.

As for monking being easier back then, I stand by my statement. Perhaps I wasn't high-level enough, but a Boon Prot combined the both healing and protection reasonably well. If a warrior was beating on you right then (and when i still played, balanced ran Gale/Axes pretty much), Guardian gave you enough breathing space. RoF was great in mopping up any other damage, and Mend Ailment (IIRC) was usually sufficient to handle whatever conditions came - usually pretty much only Deep Spike / Blind back then. Holy Veil was also sufficient to catch the one or two major hexes that would get through, since the majority of damage back when I still PvPed was still Warrior based.

I'm not sure if spiking was really considered power creep though. Gimmick builds? Probably, since anything non-balanced is a bit gimmicky in nature. I would consider them more in the vein of stuff like IWAY, Spirit Spam, ER Smiters. Power creep would be more something like.. say Dervishes doing just about everything better than a warrior?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ah guildwars 2 thread here in we remember all the past failings, and how arenanet learned from them and isnt repeating them in GW2.

The metagame in Guild wars prophecies evolved to 2 Esurge/Eburn mesmers, an Air/Earth Elementalist, 2 gale axe warriors, 2 boon prots and a E/Mo runner with Heal Party. Replace your flag runner or flag stand elementalist with a ranger as nessisary.

A typical spike would have a warrior knocking down a monk and unloading their adrenaline skills on their target, mesmers would alternate surge and burn/shatter enchantment, often throwing mind wrack on the spike. A lighting orb/strike combination from the elementalist. There was a lot of energy denial because the members could dedicate their surge and burn to just denying energy for the first 2 or so minutes of the match, before even trying to spike anyone.

Loki here participated in a higher bracket than I did at the time. I think my guild hovered around 75th-150th position on the ladder for quite a while.

I can confidently say that the warrior was the toughest role to play in guild wars pvp. Everything centers on them.

• Options
    Got to say I'm really, really looking forward to the competitive side of GW2. Though I don't think it'll capture the magic like GW 1 did, though mostly because since I'm now about to get married, I just don't have the time to sit there until 3am play Guild Wars.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote:
    Got to say I'm really, really looking forward to the competitive side of GW2. Though I don't think it'll capture the magic like GW 1 did, though mostly because since I'm now about to get married, I just don't have the time to sit there until 3am play Guild Wars.

Until you have a youngling! Then you'll be awake at 3am at times! All the times! Probably not playing Guild Wars, though. :-(

• Options
    We quickly approach Comic Con reveals and stuff. While we wait, have your minds blown courtesy of Ashens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM7_36SP1tA

On a side note, new forum is lacking in post features but i'd never let a little thing like that stop me from enjoying this great forum community.

488W936.png