As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

COD:BLOPS - Play on the Black Wang, Friday night!

• Options
    HandfalconHandfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Handfalcon wrote: »
    I vote for the knife to be removed and have the melee be swinging the butt of the gun for a two hit kill. If one MUST have stabbing with a balde in their shooter game, well make a bayonet attachment available for selection. I would rage less at this ad they are giving something up for instant melee kills, and it removes the speed of light let-go-of-gun-grab-knife-stab-in-face-instantly garbage.

2 swing kill is too ineffective, albeit I would support making the lunge require a weapon attachment (bayonet).

A really good butt stocking can render an enemy combat ineffective in a single hit IRL anyway.

A shattered jaw tends to do this.

Although I wouldn't hit someone with a plastic stock on an AR-15 platform. An M14 or a shotgun? Sure.

I don't know if the IRL effects of a gun butt to the noggin can be used as an argument in a game in which people can take 1 or 2 assualt rifle rounds ot the chest while still being able to competantly return fire.

The fact that if me and a person turn a corner and both push a button at the same time: Me to shoot a stream of bullets from my SMG and him to pull a knife and stab me, I will lose most times. That is patently offensive to my sensibilities.

Handfalcon on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    npc.EXE wrote: »
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm that a silenced sniper rifle headshot is now a 1-hit kill?

I can. So long as you actually hit their head ie the latency difference between you isn't night and fucking day.

Regarding the snipe rifle patch it seems to have lessened the drunken sway quite a bit and made it so you don't have to wait three whole seconds to have the bullet go where the reticule is pointing (ya know, instead of four feet to any other direction.)

Good to hear. This may be my sniper rifle prestige, then.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Missing a LeggMissing a Legg Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lets shoot dudes! Just send me an invite.

Missing a Legg on
    GT:Missing a legg
    PSN:Missing_a_legg
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Are there any SMGs that can actually kill people at ranges greater than 15 feet when silenced?

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Are there any SMGs that can actually kill people at ranges greater than 15 feet when silenced?

Spectre. Kiparis. I've had some luck with the scorpion on that front as well.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Spectre. Kiparis. I've had some luck with the scorpion on that front as well.

I'm using the Kiparis right now, and while I really like the gun, I run out of ammo after 2-4 kills. (Don't want Scav since this is my Ghost class) Tried the Spectre, too, but that thing kicks like a mule even with a grip.

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just got into a game almost full of quickscopers on the other team. That was interesting.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    ConchobharConchobhar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Braincow wrote: »
    Ganluan wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed odd behavior playing split screen multiplayer? When we've done it, it's done strange things like change my clan tag to the other guy's or vice versa, deleted our custom class names, and other weird crap.

Yup. All my custom class names were deleted the other day. Also, the game wouldn't load anyones emblems while I was splitscreen'ing, so I just saw the default rank emblems.

This happens to me almost everytime I splitscreen.

Custom Classes revert to Custom 1, etc (The names revert, but the settings remain)

Clan Tag goes away

But its only a little bit of trouble....

Conchobhar on
  • Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    I need to figure out a better class progression for prestiging. I despise all of the starting weapons, and I'm too stubborn to learn a new playstyle to fit said weapons. M16 is too unreliable for me since I lack this "aiming" skill everyone else seems to be on about. I really want to try out a speedy class, but my reaction time is so shit that by the time I realize there is a person in front of me, I'm dead. So many bad habits from years of Halo that must be unlearned.
    Did the patch do something to Ghost? It seems that everyone knew exactly where I was when I was running it earlier.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I haven't been playing for more than 2-3 weeks and jesus all the gun stats are THE SAME.

Herpaderp lets see this AR does
    35 damage * 3 shots = 105 damage
    this other one does
    40 damage * 3 shots = 110 damage

and oh look at long range they both take 4 shots to kill.

The only thing thats different between the full auto weapons is rate of fire. blahhumbug

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    And recoil. I don't know, all of the guns feel different enough to me to warrant a prejudice with certain guns.

Irons/recoil/rate of fire make all of the guns different.

Were looking for a gun that was better statistically than all the others? I'm glad there's no mp40/ump45. The 74u is the closest thing and that' still a 5 shot kill at range.

Edit for also: you're comparing ARs to ARs. They're all good at medium/long distances, although some are better than others. The fact that the classes all have different strengths and weaknesses is pretty boss in my mind.

belligerent on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm pretty sure they made the gun stats with Stopping Power in mind, and then took out Stopping Power. Because those numbers would make a difference if you were running it...

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What pisses me off is that half the recoils and ranges of the SMGs (and to a lesser extent the ARs) are exactly the same.

Also there's only like four fire rates in the entire game.

Xagar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Famas/aug are basically the same gun. Then you have the galil, which is different than the AK, which is different from the commando which is different than the m16 which is different from the g11. You can't sit there and tell me all of those guns handle the same way.

belligerent on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    twmjr wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here (possibly NSFW due to Lego violence/gore)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smETLCCPTVo&feature=player_embedded

Quoting because this needs to be on this page. That was great.

Just started checking their other stuff myself, it's pretty good.

@Walrus: The Kiparis pretty much needs Scav, period. As much as I miss Flak Jacket, I also run a Crossbow in reserve as my long range weapon, and it actually resupplies from Scav, unlike the Launchers.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Famas/aug are basically the same gun. Then you have the galil, which is different than the AK, which is different from the commando which is different than the m16 which is different from the g11. You can't sit there and tell me all of those guns handle the same way.
    weaponp.png

Really because the fire rate and recoil on the galil vs ak vs Enfield is preeeetty close.

Same thing with the famas/aug, Fal/M14. The damage rates are the same on all SMGs except skorpion and ak47u and then there are two fire rates 750rpm or 938rpm.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    But they just feel different.

Also, Array is empirically the best map.

Firing range still has crap performance.

Way too many frames dropped even on medium performance. So annoying. Everyone else get this? My sad, sad, PC brethren.

goggles on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    While I've sworn by the PM63 for some time now, I've begun to sway toward using the MAC-11 more. I'm trying out various attachments for it, though I've settles with Warlording it with Grip and Ext. Mags. The other option is using SoH and Ext. Mags...

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Do the forumers on the PS3 list actually play together still, I haven't seen them post much recently?

Also decided to give sniper rifles a go again and Dragunov w/suppressor is pretty much my favourite weapon forever now. Hiding in a bush with ghost while pulling off headshots with that thing, great fun.

Firmus_Piett on
    camo_sig.png

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    New resolution - practice in Combat Training with snipers for much longer before taking them to player matches again. Missed the flag carrier but I got his buddy trailing a second behind :( Baby steps, I suppose.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Complaining about weapons having similar stats

the UMP45 had different stats than other guns

the UMP45 was ridiculously broken

???

ergo, similar stats are good. Weapons feel different and that's what's important. Also, the difference between the 40 and 35 max damage ARs is that the 40 damage will kill in 2 shots up close if you headshot, whereas the 35 damage guns will always do it in three.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is it dumb that my favorite mode now is Pure TDM? I feel like its dumb because they're basically taking everthing but the guns out of the game, but I had the most fun playing it last night. Maybe it was nostalgia, but it was like the good ol days where you just had a gun and some grenades and you shot dudes. And if you die its not because of some stupid BS. They lied about nerfing knife lunge range though.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Is it dumb that my favorite mode now is Pure TDM? I feel like its dumb because they're basically taking everthing but the guns out of the game, but I had the most fun playing it last night. Maybe it was nostalgia, but it was like the good ol days where you just had a gun and some grenades and you shot dudes. And if you die its not because of some stupid BS. They lied about nerfing knife lunge range though.

I honestly think it's the best mode of the game. Call of Duty would probably be perfect for me without the kill streaks.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I honestly think it's the best mode of the game. Call of Duty would probably be perfect for me without the kill streaks.

Kill streaks would be way less annoying in this game if they got rid of care packages.

Making it harder to get really good killstreaks is awesome and would prevent most people from getting them. Letting them get them from a magical box of wonders kills the whole point. Some jerkoff getting a huey or dogs because a metal Christmas present dropped out of the sky is annoying.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    twmjr wrote: »

Kill streaks would be way less annoying in this game if they got rid of care packages.

Making it harder to get really good killstreaks is awesome and would prevent most people from getting them. Letting them get them from a magical box of wonders kills the whole point. Some jerkoff getting a huey or dogs because a metal Christmas present dropped out of the sky is annoying.

Except killstreaks themselves promote camping a spot... and nothing else until you run out of killstreaks to get.

It's like the reason I hate
    halo
    multiplayer. People learn where the power weapons are, camp the shit out of them, and then just whore those out for the win.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    again, when I hear someone say that all the guns in the game are the same just make me think they don't play the game.

I get what the spreadsheet is saying, but if the spreadsheet were everything, then LMGs would rule the day because they don't lose damage over range.

If spreadsheets were king, why does "everyone" use the 74u?

belligerent on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    but scat, the UMP45 was the only gun with different stats.

I'd be fine with a powerful SMG if they increased recoil with it significantly, then maybe had one SMG with no recoil but super weak, one that was a balance between powerful and weak, one with a ridiculously large magazine that took longer to ADS and reduced your movement speed by more, etc.

Though once again I'd simply make all the guns of a particular calibre have fairly similar stats, damage output within a 2-3% margin depending on barrel length among other things, same for accuracy and recoil.
    That way you could have a boatload of guns in the game (Yay customization) yet only have to balance about as many classes to balance as there are guns in the game already, but without causing me to rage when for some crazy fucking reason the 9mm in my SMG does the same amount of damage as the 7.62 in my motherfucking light machinegun.

also I still want my .22LR which does 1 damage to everywhere on the body except the head where it does 100 damage at <5m and like 60 damage at <20m and tapering off to 0 at 30m but zero recoil and fast reload and ADS.
    ... and a guarantee that people with modded controllers aren't allowed to use it.

edit: re ak74

sure the spreadsheet says that its damage is the same as the MP5, but what people probably aren't reading is that it is better in every other way except for a 100ms slower ADS time, which is less than the average fucking ping in this game, and is moot when you don't even need to ADS to kill a dude.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    As far as I can tell, people use the AK74u because it's an SMG that does 40 damage and it has a good set of attachments (even a grenade launcher!).

Also because the idea that "the AK74u is a good gun" is kind of a metagame idea that people get, and they just follow it. From there it tends to snowball until LOTS of people are using them.

Xagar on
  • Options
    BookerBooker Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It also uses the same BS recoil model as the AK47 and FAL, where firing will not take you off target, but simply makes your weapon bounce around a bit. It's the closest thing to an ACR in term of behaviour, really.

Booker on
  • Options
    HibernusHibernus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    again, when I hear someone say that all the guns in the game are the same just make me think they don't play the game.

I get what the spreadsheet is saying, but if the spreadsheet were everything, then LMGs would rule the day because they don't lose damage over range.

If spreadsheets were king, why does "everyone" use the 74u?

Because of the stupid fast ads and mobility stats the ak74 has over the LMGs?

Hibernus on
  • Options
    AllUrBaseAllUrBase Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tac mask just takes three thousand eternities to unlock and even then is very situational since very few pubs actually use their bitch grenades. But when they do and you just shrug it off it's great. Double it up with Flak Jacket for "screw the rules I have perks"

Tac Mask Pro should be pretty easy to get once you get Scavenger Pro and Warlord Pro.
    Just spam you tactical grenades all over the place and replenish as you go along.

AllUrBase on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Regardless of any one of your answers for why people use the 74u, the answer is because it's a different gun than the rest of them. remember that this argument started with "lolol all the guns are exactly the same".

Which they obviously aren't.

belligerent on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Booker wrote: »
    It also uses the same BS recoil model as the AK47 and FAL, where firing will not take you off target, but simply makes your weapon bounce around a bit. It's the closest thing to an ACR in term of behaviour, really.

Nah I think the Mac10's closer, it just suffers from a tiny clip. The AK47 has some pretty significant recoil, it just happens to be more or less straight up, and thus fairly easy to control.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    BookerBooker Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You're on PC, right? Because the platform might explain our different experience. I've always seen the AK47 jump straight up for each shot, but then return to its original position before the next shot. Unlike other weapons, which jump randomly.

Booker on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ah yeah, I am PC. The mac10 would be my favourite gun if I didn't also consider it the ugliest and dumbest sounding.

I am so very shallow.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I decided to try some pub play this morning since no one I knew was on.

I didn't play a single game that ended due to actually killing enough people to win.

Time ran out FOUR GAMES IN A ROW because the teams refused to move. Stupid. If I hadn't been running around resetting spawn points combat would have never occurred.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Firmus,

I play every night. I don't actually know any of the other PS3 players though.

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wish the zombies looked like NPC's sig.

Tridus1x on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    Ah yeah, I am PC. The mac10 would be my favourite gun if I didn't also consider it the ugliest and dumbest sounding.

I am so very shallow.

I miss you and your shallowness. Perhaps this week we can get reacquainted.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Scatman at 10PM : Man Hardcore is pretty cool I'm raping fools.

Scatman at 11PM: FUCK THIS SHIT. SHEEP'S THE CLOSEST. DIE SHEEP. *BOOM* *KICKED FROM GAME*

But, hey, at least in Hardcore the Commando isn't a huge piece of shit.

Sheep on