Options

Hands off my balls, TSA Agent (scat swapping thread)

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    You have a one in six chance of rolling a 2 when you throw a six sided die

And guess what? The next time you roll the die, you also have a one in six chance of rolling a 2

I know some dudes that think that if you roll a d20 twenty times you will get a 20

I tried to explain why they're retarded

and then they brought up that they got good grades in prob and stat and I cried blood an passed out

haha have you seen those people that store "preloaded" dice?

the idea is they roll a dice a lot and if it gets low numbers, they store it away so that the next time they roll it, it rolls higher

hah

This is dice superstition. nearly all players of table top rpgs have it in some form or another, whether they admit to it or not.

I have an example of which on my phone's camera which showcases my own brand. I cannot, for the life of me, get it from there to my computer anymore. the software won't work.

basically, I smashed an horrendously under-performing dice with a hammer, and placed it's remains in the center of a ring of other dice of it's type. To give an example of the price for failure, you see.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Actually they said if the machines function PROPERLY the odds of killing you are 1 in 30 million.

Point is, you have to weigh the risks. The risks of doing the scanning vs not doing it and presumably getting blown up by an underwear bomb. Because that's what these scanners are designed to prevent. They aren't to prevent a 9/11 style attack because they put LOCKS on all the cockpit doors to prevent that...

So what are the odds of getting killed by a (sucessful this time) underwear bomb? Because statistically, so far, that chance is ZERO.

But let's say someone gets smart and builds one that works. The last time a bomb sucessfully blew up a plane in the US, was when?? I don't even remember one. There was TWA flight 800 in 1996, but they finally concluded there was no evidence of it being a bomb... but lets assume it was. 230 people were killed on that plane, in 14 years, 800 million people flying a year for 14 years, that's 11.2 BILLION people. 230 killed, so you have (roughly) a 1 in 48.7 million chance of getting blown up by a bomb on a plane.

vs 1 in 30 million of getting killed by the xray machines designed to prevent it.

Those don't sound like great odds, I'm just sayin.... if you're a betting man.
    (always bet on black)

jwalk on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

And guess what? The next time you roll the die, you also have a one in six chance of rolling a 2

I know some dudes that think that if you roll a d20 twenty times you will get a 20

and then they brought up that they got good grades in prob and stat and I cried blood an passed out

the idea is they roll a dice a lot and if it gets low numbers, they store it away so that the next time they roll it, it rolls higher

hah

This is dice superstition. nearly all players of table top rpgs have it in some form or another, whether they admit to it or not.

I have an example of which on my phone's camera which showcases my own brand. I cannot, for the life of me, get it from there to my computer anymore. the software won't work.

basically, I smashed an horrendously under-performing dice with a hammer, and placed it's remains in the center of a ring of other dice of it's type. To give an example of the price for failure, you see.

Yeah everyone knows that new dice roll badly for example.

Also when palying organise your dice so that they all show the desirable number. That way you will train them into rolling that number more.

Gotta discipline your dice.

Solar on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    jwalk wrote: »
    So what are the odds of getting killed by a (sucessful this time) underwear bomb? Because statistically, so far, that chance is ZERO.

I am vomiting everywhere

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    statistically the chance of your mom's underwear rapidly disintegrating upon viewing hot TSA agents is 100%

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Solar wrote: »

hah

Yeah everyone knows that new dice roll badly for example.

Also when palying organise your dice so that they all show the desirable number. That way you will train them into rolling that number more.

Gotta discipline your dice.

I used to place them desirable number-face down. Because I realized that I pick them straight up and then roll them. I've observed this to result in better rolls than not, though as with anything it is still mostly unpredictable.

as for the smash and show technique I displayed earlier, that's primarily for the effect of personal catharsis.

Works wonders, man.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    jwalk I don't understand what you are saying. Is it, as a betting man, you are not going to fly anymore because there is a 1 in 30 million chance you could get cancer

FAQ on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The real solution is only hire models to be TSA agents.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    you can easily create pretty undetectable cheating dice by placing them in an oven for a few seconds, btw

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    Uh no, I understand math.

1 in 30 million will DIE FROM CANCER from these machines, that's their own figures.

So if 800+ million people fly 25 people WILL BE KILLED every year, guaranteed.

Oh sure that's a fair price to pay so that Michael Chertoff can get rich, why not.

Not my math, the math of the people who sell these machines.

You are incredibly dense.

Which is fortunate for him. It make him far less susceptible to radiation poisoning.

:lol: :^:

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FAQ wrote: »
    jwalk I don't understand what you are saying. Is it, as a betting man, you are not going to fly anymore because there is a 1 in 30 million chance you could get cancer

1 in 30M every time you fly, and FATAL cancer, they don't even say how many will "only" get some form of non-fatal cancer ...

But no I'll just opt out and get a free hand-job instead.

Point is, are the risks worth it? Even if they are small? Keep in mind no plane has ever been blown up by an underwear bomb, and the 9/11 style attacks are not designed to be prevented by these machines.

Not to mention all the other ways of getting a bomb on the plane that these scanners can't detect...

Do they even do anything? AT ALL?

Meanwhile they flat out tell you, right to your face, that 1 in 30 million people will get fatal cancer from the machines. Is that worth it?

Of course if you are getting paid a lot of money selling the machines your answer is probably "yes", you know like the man who recommended them when he was director of the TSA and then also got paid by the company who makes them... total coincidence of course..

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    it's cute when jwalk keeps pretending to get how probability works or that he has a clue about assessing relative risks

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    THE CHANCE BEING ONE OUT OF 30 MILLION is not equal to ONE OUT OF 30 MILLION WILL DEFINITELY DIE

Probability and reality are two different things

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    jwalk you clearly do not understand the difference between 1 in 30 million scanned will get fatal cancer and a 1 in 30 million chance that someone scanned will contract fatal cancer.

There is nothing inherently wrong with not knowing this! It is something many people are unaware of.

However.

You should be aware of is that there is a difference. Now you may not understand the difference and it may not suit your arguments, but it is there, and you are ignorant of that difference. Accept that you are wrong (Pro-tip: You are wrong).

Solar on
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    free hand jobs????

and they are already in uniform
    holy shit this owns

Swill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Uh no, I understand math.

1 in 30 million will DIE FROM CANCER from these machines, that's their own figures.

So if 800+ million people fly 25 people WILL BE KILLED every year, guaranteed.

Oh sure that's a fair price to pay so that Michael Chertoff can get rich, why not.

Not my math, the math of the people who sell these machines.

You are incredibly dense.

Which is fortunate for him. It make him far less susceptible to radiation poisoning.

:lol: :^:
    Yeah, today's best post

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    No, no, the obvious answer is for jwalk to just keep repeating himself. If he keeps saying the same thing it makes him right, right?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    No, no, the obvious answer is for jwalk to just keep repeating himself. If he keeps saying the same thing it makes him right, right?

if he says it 30 million times, it will be right
    (he thinks)

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    you are also forgetting that the planes on 9/11 were not carrying bombs. they were overtaken by terrorists with weapons. weapons that were passed through inferior scanning techniques. the whole point is ahhhhh screw this.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    there's a 1 in 4.4 million chance of a left handed person dying using a right handed product

1 in 2 million chance of dying falling out of bed

IS THIS ACCEPTABLE RISK?!

(having fun with google)

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    TheHasselhoffs.jpg

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    jwalk how many lottery tickets do you buy a week

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

if he says it 30 million times, it will be right
    (he thinks)

you and caulk bite are on fire
    because of the radiation burns from the airport scanner

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There's a lot of things one can criticize about these machines and their use, but I don't think a 1/30 million chance is one of them
    You need to grow a thicker skin

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How are so many people just completely ok with these measures and find them a reasonable trade-off for what little security they offer?

It just confuses me!

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    How are so many people just completely ok with these measures and find them a reasonable trade-off for what little security they offer?

It just confuses me!

It should be noted that arguing with jwalk does not mean agreeing with the security measures

some stupid is just so bad it has to be shot down whatever ones opinions

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wonder how many people are like me and just don't wanna fly ever because of the security

I mean I have psychological issues though and the whole idea of taking off my shoes and being investigated like that makes me violently mad in a way I can only control with sedation so

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i don't mind it so much
    oddly enough the only thing that really bothers me about it is the idea that bombardier will eventually be a pilot and someone other than me will start feeling him up every time he flies commercially
    i think

mully on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I fly maybe once a year anyway so I don't really give a shit about any of this

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    i don't really understand the point of screening pilots

oh shit pilot has a knife he might take control of the plane away from... himself?

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

It just confuses me!

It should be noted that arguing with jwalk does not mean agreeing with the security measures

some stupid is just so bad it has to be shot down whatever ones opinions

I don't mean you guys.

This is just my knee-jerk reaction to all the opinions on the matter I've been exposed to in asking people.

Samir Duran Duran on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Zoel wrote: »

oh shit pilot has a knife he might take control of the plane away from... himself?

really?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also there is this gallup poll:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/125018/Air-Travelers-Body-Scans-Stride.aspx

When did airport security get to the point when essentially strip-searching everybody became "reasonable"?

Samir Duran Duran on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    americans became more attractive during the period from 1999 to 2007

Zoel on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Zoel wrote: »

I'm sure there is no reason for it, but I suppose one could make the argument that if the pilot was some kind of terrorist the co-pilot could maybe stop him unless he had a knife.

But that is a silly argument so yeah...

Samir Duran Duran on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also there is this gallup poll:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/125018/Air-Travelers-Body-Scans-Stride.aspx

When did airport security get to the point when essentially strip-searching everybody became "reasonable"?

yeah, that's not hyperbolic at all

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I fly maybe once a year anyway so I don't really give a shit about any of this

This is pretty much my view.

Also i'm of the opinion that while i'd rather not be subjected to loads of security checks and abuse from overzealous security, its the lesser of two evils.

The other bigger evil is me dieing in a terror attack.

Also i almost submitted this post without realizing i had misspelled bigger, with the letter to the right of b on my keyboard instead of b. Boy would that have been awkward.

Karl on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yes, it isn't as extreme as a physical strip-search. But there really doesn't seem to be that much difference between the two.

Also, why do we only debate the downsides of this? Are we assuming that the security gains from these measures are certainly important and effective?

Samir Duran Duran on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    couldn't I just club him in the back of the head or slit his throat with the tools that have to be in the cockpit anyway

fuck have none of you seen that episode of Macguyver

Zoel on