As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 3: The batarian who stole Christmas

• Options
    ConnoQuicksilverConnoQuicksilver Current blackout status: Mass Effect 3, Batman: AC Athens. GreeceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Can I put in my 2 cents about Miranda?

I get all the jokes and complaints about her... the way her character in the game evolved was a real letdown for me, because her first 20 minutes gave out a totally different vibe.

I mean, in the intro video & at the start when you're running through the Cerberus lab, she comes out as a cold, calculating person.

She's all "this Shepard person isn't worth the risk", Jacob implies that they had an affair but she dumped him ("nice abs, toyboy, now get lost"), the traitor guy is all "oooh that bitch ice queen, I'll get her har har", and then she shows up with a bullet for traitor guy and a "shut up guinea pig, I got this" answer for every exasperated question you ask her.

Now bear with me here... by now, and with her telling me that she reports directly to TIM, I'm thinking that she's playing the role of one of those old Soviet political officers or a WH40K Commissar, with the power to overrule your orders on the mission and cause you real problems when you turn your back on her.

Like "WTF Miranda, I was asking that dude a question, why did you blow his head off?!"
    "None of your business." (he knew something about Cerberus, or her, that you shouldn't learn)

Just like Renegade Shep.

The Miranda I'd like to deal with would
    shoot dead her sister after we found her, for some reason like revenge... or maybe she wasn't actually her sister, just a Cerberus traitor that needed to be terminated. Something like that, and she was just playing the "poor lonely girl" routine on you to make you help her.

I really thought she could evolve into a character you would have to confront at some point verbally (not in the "har har, I was a traitor all along, boss fight time!" kind of way). Perhaps she'd try to
    steal the Reaper embryo from you when you decided to destroy it, under TIM's orders.
    Or screw your mission up some other way, putting Cerberus' interests over common sense.

Just like the council in ME1.

Anyway, I had these high hopes for her at the start, thinking "how am I going to deal with her later, she'll be a real problem when shit gets real". And then she turns into "abloo abloo, it's so hard being perfect, hold me Shep!" And I go "WTF Bioware, another strong interesting female character you turn into a Mary Sue. Good job patronising your customers again, wooo."
    All this goes for Jack as well.
    Samara and Kasumi were a bit better, but still no dice.
    You know who I'd REALLY like to have with me? Enyala. Yeah Miranda, you stay here like a good girl with your sister and I'll leave with the hard-ass mercenary commander, she's proving to be a better smart-ass than you.

ConnoQuicksilver on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the dialogue that busts out if you take Jack on Miranda's loyalty mission when you speak to Enyala is amazing

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Which orifice is that fleshlight supposed to simulate?

I've had some up close experience with human anatomy and I'm failing to connect those experiences with the item in question.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    ConnoQuicksilverConnoQuicksilver Current blackout status: Mass Effect 3, Batman: AC Athens. GreeceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    the dialogue that busts out if you take Jack on Miranda's loyalty mission when you speak to Enyala is amazing
    "I like her. Are we still recruiting?"
    I wish we were Jack... I wish...

:^:

ConnoQuicksilver on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That's why I think Samara is the best female character in the game.

I mean honestly, she seems like the only person who could maybe teach Shepard a thing or two instead of being pathetically depending in him to solve her issues. No angst over Morinth, she's at peace with it. No hopeless "Shepard I LOVE YOUU", if you try to flirt with her she puts you down. The discussions with her are pretty interesting and actually get you thinking about things. And at the end of all if it (at least if you are a total renegade), she says that she's probably forced to kill you if you meet her again.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    it wouldnt be a bioware game if you couldnt put your wang into any female character you choose

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    it wouldnt be a bioware game if you couldnt put your wang into any female character you choose

Chakwas.

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That's why I think Samara is the best female character in the game.

I mean honestly, she seems like the only person who could maybe teach Shepard a thing or two instead of being pathetically depending in him to solve her issues. No angst over Morinth, she's at peace with it. No hopeless "Shepard I LOVE YOUU", if you try to flirt with her she puts you down. The discussions with her are pretty interesting and actually get you thinking about things. And at the end of all if it (at least if you are a total renegade), she says that she's probably forced to kill you if you meet her again.

Granted... but she's not smart-ass enough for me to really like her.

Opinions man, y'know.
    QUAAAADS!

Edit:
    Bobble wrote: »

Chakwas.

GILF?
    I mean, isn't she like 50-60 years old or something? Or the equivalent of the 23rd century?

ConnoQuicksilver on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Chakwas.

man she passed out on the medical table
    who knows what shepard does to her when you save and log out

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2010

Chakwas.

:winky:

A duck! on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I want Joker's SR2 hat. Does it exist?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

in-game or IRL?

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Miranda's loyalty mission is really uncomfortable for me because, seriously, the merc captain at the start makes a very good point - she kidnapped a baby. The fact that Miranda just straight up murders him no matter what you do shouldn't end the conversation there. Shepard should at least have the option of saying "No, fuck this, I'm going back to the Normandy." Even if ultimately the "right thing" is to help Miranda, its easily one of the more morally questionable missions and yet you can only choose the one path.

Popesnax on
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Popesnax wrote: »

Miranda's loyalty mission is really uncomfortable for me because, seriously, the merc captain at the start makes a very good point - she kidnapped a baby. The fact that Miranda just straight up murders him no matter what you do shouldn't end the conversation there. Shepard should at least have the option of saying "No, fuck this, I'm going back to the Normandy." Even if ultimately the "right thing" is to help Miranda, its easily one of the more morally questionable missions and yet you can only choose the one path.

While I agree with you that it was definitely morally questionable for Miranda to essentially kidnap the girl in the first place, you're still preventing her from being kidnapped back in the loyalty mission. Its stated in the mission that her current family is the only one she's ever really known, so its not like Miranda's father and his hired goons have the moral high ground here.

Emporium on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

in-game or IRL?

IRL. Like, I want to buy it. For my head.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Emporium wrote: »
    Popesnax wrote: »

While I agree with you that it was definitely morally questionable for Miranda to essentially kidnap the girl in the first place, you're still preventing her from being kidnapped back in the loyalty mission. Its stated in the mission that her current family is the only one she's ever really known, so its not like Miranda's father and his hired goons have the moral high ground here.

I'm not saying that I personally feel like its right to not help her, I'm just saying that there is definitely a plausible moral argument to just side with Niket outright. Especially at the mission start when all you know is what the Merc tells you.

Popesnax on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    To be honest, I just started so I can only talk about the first segments, but up to now ME2 does really feel a lot darker than ME1 - and, unlike in 1, it feels like, as Pope mentions, you're forced to go along with several of the morally questionable choices, with no option for Shepard to stomp his foot and say "no sir, that kind of shit won't fly here, explain yourself", like you could in ME1.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Drascin wrote: »
    To be honest, I just started so I can only talk about the first segments, but up to now ME2 does really feel a lot darker than ME1 - and, unlike in 1, it feels like, as Pope mentions, you're forced to go along with several of the morally questionable choices, with no option for Shepard to stomp his foot and say "no sir, that kind of shit won't fly here, explain yourself", like you could in ME1.

ME2 wants to be darker. But it's not really.

You're going into the most dangerous, wild, and untamed parts of the colonized galaxy run by warlords and all sorts of shady folks.

So basically, the big hub there is just like taking a trip to the Citadel, but it has red lighting instead of blue.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    But red is evil.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, but I mean, the changes in Shep's actions and dialogue - they really funnel you a lot more towards a darker Shep.

For example, I just arrived in the planet to find the Krogan.
    Found a wounded merc. I got given the option to offer him a medigel - but then wasn't given the option to actually give it to him. The only available option to end conversation was just "start running and you'll probably find somewhere to get patched up before you bleed out". Even Mordin comments on how adding insult to injury like that was completely unnecessary - to which Shep simply automatically responds "Don't care. Felt nice".

In ME1, I probably would have been given an option to make him quit the gang and then heal him. In 2... nope, sorry. And when you're playing both game almost back-to-back after an almost-fully Paragon run, it makes for quite the whiplash :P

Drascin on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A duck! wrote: »

Chakwas.

:winky:

Who knows what she did when Shepard was passed out after touching the Beacon in the first game.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Pancake wrote: »

ME2 wants to be darker. But it's not really.

You're going into the most dangerous, wild, and untamed parts of the colonized galaxy run by warlords and all sorts of shady folks.

So basically, the big hub there is just like taking a trip to the Citadel, but it has red lighting instead of blue.

Omega's crime wasn't that different from the Wards, but Omega is better because you got to see Batarians dying on the floor as you walked.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, but I mean, the changes in Shep's actions and dialogue - they really funnel you a lot more towards a darker Shep.

Found a wounded merc. I got given the option to offer him a medigel - but then wasn't given the option to actually give it to him. The only available option to end conversation was just "start running and you'll probably find somewhere to get patched up before you bleed out". Even Mordin comments on how adding insult to injury like that was completely unnecessary - to which Shep simply automatically responds "Don't care. Felt nice".

In ME1, I probably would have been given an option to make him quit the gang and then heal him. In 2... nope, sorry. And when you're playing both game almost back-to-back after an almost-fully Paragon run, it makes for quite the whiplash :P

Don't your party members say that he's wining and his injuries arn't life threatening in any way? I thought you were just bluffing.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Why would you waste medi-gel on some mercenary? If he didn't want to get shot, he shouldn't have spent his days slaughtering newborn krogan.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Blurbl wrote: »

Don't your party members say that he's wining and his injuries arn't life threatening in any way? I thought you were just bluffing.

Yeah, they comment that it's just a minor flesh wound. Shepard is just scaring him and making a joke at his expense.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    Blurbl wrote: »

Yeah, they comment that it's just a minor flesh wound. Shepard is just scaring him and making a joke at his expense.

"The extra scare was a nice touch."

"I thought so."

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    Why would you waste medi-gel on some mercenary? If he didn't want to get shot, he shouldn't have spent his days slaughtering newborn krogan.

Well, not like I was using it anyway, I think I've used a grand total of one medigel in what little game I have beat for now (ME2 sure is a lot more forgiving than ME1 when it comes to companion survival!) so might as well give it to someone who doesn't regenerate within seconds, no? If a little diplomacy and some medigel could convince him to leave that kind of life before he got actually shot down, all the better - and you actually get a few options like that in ME1, convincing the newbie, easily scared minion that he's not cut for this shit and should probably take up a farm :P. Mostly it's the difference in callousness that keeps throwing me off - ME1 Paragon Shepard was basically Captain America, ME2 ParaShep seems to be more on the vein of John McClane on average (with some awesome exceptions. Loved the paragon reply to the reporter).

In any case, just got Grunt. Why is it that whenever a Krogan goes scientist, it always seem to be of the mad kind? Also, I'm starting to love Charge a lot - biotic powers seem to have been a bit neutered, on average, in the way from 1 to 2, but the addition of Charge is really fun.

And I guess it can't be put off any longer. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get this psychotic Jack girl I keep hearing about.

Drascin on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Though she doesn't openly express it much before, Paragon Shepard is probably pissed off that all of her ME1 allies abandoned her or did nothing to help stop the reapers. Even on a nice Shepard I can't bring myself to be polite to people who are so clearly part of the problem that only Shepard and TIM seem to acknowledge.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If a little diplomacy and some medigel could convince him to leave that kind of life before he got actually shot down, all the better - and you actually get a few options like that in ME1, convincing the newbie, easily scared minion that he's not cut for this shit and should probably take up a farm :P.

have you played archangel's recruitment or not.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, that's a pretty badass paragon option there.

Orca on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Worst paragon option is on Samara's loyalty mission

'Oh, I'll pay you money so that you don't mug people'.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah that one bothered me a lot. Thats more of a PussyShep than ParagonShep response.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    "You need to relinquish your weapons before you proceed."

"I'll relinquish one bullet. Where do you want it?"

Bad.

Fucking.

Ass.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Worst paragon option is on Samara's loyalty mission

'Oh, I'll pay you money so that you don't mug people'.

That reminded me too much of being a light side Jedi in KotoR. I did like the Paragon Shepard response to Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani, in that it was the same as the renegade option with a little nicer way of saying "punk, step off." Or you could just punch her.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    "You need to relinquish your weapons before you proceed."

"I'll relinquish one bullet. Where do you want it?"

Bad.

Fucking.

Ass.

"If I chose to I could kill every person in this room and walk out unscathed."

"If I flee I might trip over the dozen Krogan I killed to get here."

"Name our target, and it will die."

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Replaying ME1 before starting ME2, I can't help but feel that at least some of the Paragon major decisions are going to wind up biting Shepard in the ass in the third game. Hrm.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Burnage wrote: »
    Replaying ME1 before starting ME2, I can't help but feel that at least some of the Paragon major decisions are going to wind up biting Shepard in the ass in the third game. Hrm.

I seriously, seriously doubt it. BioWare games are almost always afraid of punishing the player for any choice they make, no matter how good or stupid it is even in minor ways.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Please, paragon or renegade, none of the decisions you made will bite you in the ass unless you just sucked generally.

Edit: Beat

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    People thought that about ME1 decisions and really you got no more than a cursory mention for any of them. Even killing Wrex doesn't change much.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    I am PacalI am Pacal Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Please, Paragon or Renegade, none of the decisions you made will bite you in the ass unless you just sucked generally.

Well, playing a lesbian FemShep meant that I was unable to get the romance achievement in ME2. That kind of bit me in the ass because I did not get any ass to... bite.

I am Pacal on
This discussion has been closed.