As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam | CHRISTMAS SALE! - Wait for Daily Deals on Games You Want

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm excited and nervous for tomorrow.

Today I got out cheap, just 2 copies of SMB.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So those Motioninjoy drivers to get a PS3 controller working on Windows?

Warning to anyone using it, it's sort of a shoddy piece of shit.

I mean, it does what it advertises, but it plays so poorly with the wired 360 controller that trying to plug the 360 controller in would cause my system to bluescreen and shut down.

I had to do some retarded song and dance to scour the whole thing from my system before my 360 controller would function again.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Okay, Just Cause 2 is as cool as you guys said.

I'ma gonna watch it this week to see if it drops lower than $14.99, as I really need to watch my budget right now.

(I really hope it drops.)

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm gonna ease the Heck of the gifting now. I'm findingI already don't have enough too get what I want D:

Big Classy on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In a shocking display of willpower, I spent under $10 today, picking up POP 2008 and the original Sands Of Time.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I sorta just bought about 5 games and gave them out to PA'ers on my friends list. I hope those that got them enjoy them!

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anyone have any good mystery games to recommend? I know there are a few to choose from but I'm not sure if any of them are actually any good.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    And now, I bring you a word-for-word transcript of my thoughts about fifty seconds ago...

"Why are there two Steam Windows open?

Ugh, must be another one of those ads they put up every once in a while to remind you of shit they want you to buy.

Waitaminnit.

What's this? Toki Tori? A gift? From ProjectMayhem?

Wow. That guy really is some cool dudes."

Thanks man!

But for future reference, Mr. X is my father's name :P

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you pm me something you want that's cheapish BigIsy, I'll gift you something for being a sport.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Twenty bucks down the Steam Hatch today

Got SMB, the FEAR pack, and BC2 (gifted)

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    I'm still on the fence about the FEAR pack. Looks like a nice deal, unsure how much I'd like that much of FEAR. I think I might just only get the first FEAR.

u fraid?

I don't like scary games in general but I don't fear FEAR D:

ah heck, I feel like supporting monolith even though they'll likely never make another NOLF again :(
    The first game seems like a no brainer, FEAR 2 seems 'uninspired' from a quick glance through reviews

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The only game that has ever legitimately frightened me is Amnesia, for what it's worth.

Which, coincidentally... is on sale again, for all you schoolgirls you wimped out on the last sale

Maddoc on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Ok, so I was trying to be all cool about it and make a neat picture for it all, but it isn't working, so hopefully people see this post.

GET A FREE GAME!

I've been gifted a bunch so far already, so I'm going to start paying it forward (or back I suppose, depending on if someone who's gifted me also wins). Anyway..

Pick a game from the daily deals, PM me with (and this is the important part):

Your Steam pofile LINK - I want to make sure I've got the right person.
    The game of your choice

That's it. The only other rule is that you've got to have a PA forum profile that is at least 3 months old and 100 posts. Sorry new people, but I feel like our Thanksgiving crazy-awesome-ness attracted a lot of people and I want to give back to people who've been here a while and are at least half-active.

I'm going to wait till tomorrow morning to see how many people I've got PMs from, then I'm going to randomly draw a winner and gift the game.

I've got 37 entries, anyone else? I haven't gotten a PM in a little while..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah I had to grab a couple of Prince of Persia games

The Digital Deluxe edition of Forgotten Sands, which comes with Sands of Times (and is the same price as the regular version and SoT separately), and PoP 2008.

I had to talk myself down to getting only those.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm still on the fence about the FEAR pack. Looks like a nice deal, unsure how much I'd like that much of FEAR. I think I might just only get the first FEAR.

u fraid?

I don't like scary games in general but I don't fear FEAR

ah heck, I feel like supporting monolith even though they'll likely never make another NOLF again :(

Did you notice everyone freaking out about Amnesia? FEAR is nothing like that. You have guns and you get to shoot back at anything that can hurt you.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    If you pm me something you want that's cheapish BigIsy, I'll gift you something for being a sport.

haha that's very kind if you but I'm good for today. Gonna save my magic beans for another round of daily deals.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I heard Stranger's Wrath wasn't a great port, can anyone confirm?

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »

haha that's very kind if you but I'm good for today. Gonna save my magic beans for another round of daily deals.

Ok, but keep it in mind.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Inkyblots wrote: »

It's a shitty shit shit port

Though, if it makes you feel any better, it is very likely only a placeholder.

See, they're working on an HD version of Stranger's Wrath for PSN, and they wanted the Oddboxx out for the Holiday season.

So they gave us a shoddy placeholder port while they finish up the HD resources, and then they plan to update the PC version afterward.

Really extra shitty of them, but if you take them at their word it may be worth grabbing it now for cheap.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm not catching up on 25 pages of Steam thread since I went out, but I believe I have some games to give away..... tomorrow.

adytum on
  • Options
    dawningphoenixdawningphoenix Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    "The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request."
    Nooooooooo Why, Steam? Why must you take all my money?

dawningphoenix on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Augh... can I justify spending another $5 on Titan Quest.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »

See, they're working on an HD version of Stranger's Wrath for PSN, and they wanted the Oddboxx out for the Holiday season.

So they gave us a shoddy placeholder port while they finish up the HD resources, and then they plan to update the PC version afterward.

Really extra shitty of them, but if you take them at their word it may be worth grabbing it now for cheap.

That's kind of shitty, 7.49 isn't cheap enough to wait for patches since I own a PS3 and might as well wait. Still, Stranger's Wrath is one of my favorite games of all time.

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Ok, but keep it in mind.

well that didn't last looking. Stupid Prince of Persia being so good. Sand of time would be great if you're offering :)
    And thanks allot man. Mighty kind of you.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »

It's really not a placeholder of any kind, the meat of the game is there, they'll just be swapping in better art assets and changing some stuff when they eventually patch it. The more recent patches are what we should be looking for and apparently they're hard at work on them.

I'd recommend buying the Oddboxx anyway. It's an absurdly cheap price, Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus are still fantastic games and Munch's Oddysee is meant to run quite a bit better than Stranger's Wrath (which apparently had some really weird implementation on the Xbox that's causing all the current problems). Then when Stranger's Wrath is fixed up, you can play that too.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey you know since they had like five goddamned years to work on this, you'd think they would've actually made a competent port, right.

(Yes I know they haven't actually spent five years porting. But since the game is that old anyway, you'd think they wouldn't have an excuse.)

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Ok, but keep it in mind.

well that didn't last looking. Stupid Prince of Persia being so good. Sand of time would be great if you're offering :)

Do you have forgotten Sands? I can give you both for 7.50

Or Sands of Time and 08. Do you have Pop '08?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It's a bad excuse, to be sure, but I'm slightly less critical of it because I didn't own any of the other games in the pack to begin with.

As long as they fix it down the line, I figure I'll have gotten more than my money's worth.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lepwave wrote: »
    so, Deus Ex is really good for a game that's so old. Heck, it's good for a modern game. I have a weird graphics problem though. The textures get all muddled and turn green whenever I get too close to something. If I turn off the higher res textures the problem goes away but then they look worse from a distance.

any idea on how to fix that?

Could try this?
    This was posted a few pages back, I haven't tested it myself yet though.

wooo! that worked and now it's running with some nice textures i picked up off a link from that site.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Ok, but keep it in mind.

I've got none of there Prince of Persia games. How does that work? bloody good deal.
    Edit: forgotten sand please! pop'08 already completed on the360. Really awful ending.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    JDcapoJDcapo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well I did it. I got SMB instead of Battlefield.
    Not enough to get anything else anymore...so i think im done D:

JDcapo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Okay, Pop08 and Sands of time it is.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Ok, but keep it in mind.

I've got none of there Prince of Persia games. How does that work? bloody good deal.

Forgotten sands digital deluxe. I may add something I've mentioned to your stocking for being good.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    So how are the Commandos series of games?

Since this thread is going to be pretty much nothing but contest pictures with no actual discussion, I'll ask one more time. How are the Commandos games? The whole set is $3 on Steam right now, and while the price is fine, I've got this thing about buying games I won't like, unless they're part of some bigger developer pack.

I'm sure someone has chimed in by now, but just in case: I loved the Commandos games I played (1-3) back int he day and I bought that pack on Steam myself. IIRC the manual that came with the third game was rubbish. I found out on-line there there was so much more I could go int he game than the manual indicated. Like knocking on wall to distract guards and such.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dr. AvalancheDr. Avalanche Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Picked up a few things today (Plants and Zombies GOTY, the Future pack, Winterbottom), but I'm really holding out for a better price on Arma II: Combined Ops and Age of Wonder: Shadow Magic. F2: Las Vegas at a better price would be nice, too, but I'm not holding my breath.

A bit like a gameshow, these Steam sales: take the offer, or risk what's behind Day Number 2...

(though if you wait long enough, you always win the game, I suppose)

Dr. Avalanche on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ah, bigisy, you need to accept my firends request.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    PopeTiberiiPopeTiberii Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just wanted to say thanks for the help with getting my PS3 controller to work with windows... And SMB? Ridiculously awesome game. :)

PopeTiberii on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    well it's bed time for me. I got out pretty cheaply. Three copies of SMB, one of which has already been gifted and Bad Company. Plus Mayhem gifted me deus ex, which after the first hour of playing, I can tell is going to get the most gameplay for the next week or two along with SMB.

things I resisted buying included PoP, Lego Batman, Indie Fright Pack and Just Cause 2.

a good day.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ah, bigisy, you need to accept my firends request.

I thought I already had you as a friend... So who did send sniper elite to?!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    ...I dunno. Don't worry about it.

Fencingsax on