As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GRAW2 -- Demo out now! [NSF56k]

043043 Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
625.54MB. Found it right before getting ready for bed, and now it looks like I'll be up for a while to check it out.

"Following the failure of the "coup d'etat" in Mexico City, Mexican rebels have gathered their remaining forces on the US border. Lead your team of elite Special Forces for the first time on US soil -- straddling the border between Juarez, Mexico, and El Paso, Texas. The Ghosts have less than 72 hours to stop a nuclear attack."

tomclancysghostreconadvqo7.jpg
tomclancysghostreconadvwn2.jpg
tomclancysghostreconadvmh6.jpg
tomclancysghostreconadvka3.jpg

If this one is anywhere near as good as GRAW, expect plenty of PA players. Can't wait to see how much smoother they've made everything with the demo.

[Also: Demo, already?]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
043 on

• Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I assume this is for the 360?

Tzen on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tzen wrote:

Nay. Gameboy color.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    He speaks the truth.

God damn you. Already? :shock: Now I have to leave my 360 on while I go to university.

Thanks for the heads up

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Holy shit, I will download this tonight.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, that's surprising.

I'll have to get this first thing tomorrow.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Now we've got an OP with some 720p goodness.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I know they're probably bullshots, but aw, pretty. :^:

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

• Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GOOD GODDAMN

I didn't even have time to get hyped for this proper.

Oh well. Will be sucking this out of the internet promptly.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It does make me slightly less confident they've fixed everything that needed fixing in GRAW, but hey, I'll happily be proven wrong.

Eight Rooks on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    I wanna know if they changed it to holding L, like R6:Vegas to take cover. 'cause I use the GR layout in R6, and with the cover mapped like that, the controls are damn near perfect.

But hey, GRAW was fun. So fix it's glitches, and make it prettier. You've got my money.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    043 wrote:
    I wanna know if they changed it to holding L, like R6:Vegas to take cover. 'cause I use the GR layout in R6, and with the cover mapped like that, the controls are damn near perfect.

But hey, GRAW was fun. So fix it's glitches, and make it prettier. You've got my money.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm not too bothered what layout they use, as long as they fix the amount of times I ended up thinking "I should be able to duck behind this but for some reason the bastard game won't let me". In terms of how well their systems worked I'd say it definitely goes Gears > Vegas (only slightly behind > GRAW.

But hey, I'll still get it. I'd still get it if it was a prettier GRAW with a new campaign, so in a way any tweaking is just gravy. Still, fingers crossed.

Eight Rooks on

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is it less brown?

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I doubt it. Perhaps more taupe.

Eight Rooks on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Is it less brown?

What color are your deserts?

EDIT: They haven't changed the cover controls, but goddamn, is it pretty.

I'm sure the full game will have different setups.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It is pretty. Not too bad, either, at least from initial impressions. Enemies still don't do much - Gears' enemies were charging and/or flanking me from the word go, as were Vegas', so I think I'm justified in pointing that out - but it handles pretty nicely and is at the very least a nicer-looking GRAW with a few extra bits tacked on. Controlling the UAV and the Mule is a laugh. :)

Tried it for a few minutes, got into the camp no problem, then I foolishly took cover by the truck when the assault starts and, well, you can probably guess what happened next. <_< :oops: Certainly worth the download, though. I'll probably give it a proper shot when I get back from uni.

Eight Rooks on

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Must. Write. Exam.

So, my exam starts in 1 hour... if I were to download 694mb, over a 1.5 mbps connection, It'd take like 10 - 15minutes... Meaning... 45 minutes of demo playing before exam?

Wezoin on
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    043 wrote:
    Is it less brown?

What color are your deserts?

EDIT: They haven't changed the cover controls, but goddamn, is it pretty.

I'm sure the full game will have different setups.
    Surely not brown.

I don't know if GRAW was the game I played recently at a friends, but it involved chaos, running around, and not knowing who you were actually shooting. Hence I can only assume this is some of the same.

It was a GA game though. (For the 360.) :o

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Goddamn helicopter.

I need some sleep. Then I'll tackle this tactically.

Fuckin' feet, keeping me out of the military.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Since this is taking place right where I live, I'll be interested in playing. I wonder if they're going to model the in game city to match the real world.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Kyougu wrote:
    Since this is taking place right where I live, I'll be interested in playing. I wonder if they're going to model the in game city to match the real world.

I wonder how much of it is really gonna take place on our side of the border? It seems like they wanna leave big portions over it over there so they can get away with big, desert environments with the occasional run down building.

Having never been to Texas, I don't know how many run down buildings you have in your open environments. :wink:

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2007
    yesss, i will have to download this when it is up for us mere silvers

bongi on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ...and I was wondering why there weren't more posts. Heh. I keep forgetting I'm paying for this. :oops:

Eight Rooks on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Okay, I know a demo is free and everything, but... you have got to be fucking joking. <_<

Spoiler'd just in case:

[spoiler:5c52146e79]Get the order to clear out the camp, head down the slope, down the tunnel, chopper comes in, grenade it a couple of times, it circles, comes back...

"To Be Continued"?
    [/spoiler:5c52146e79]

Fuck's sake. After the Crackdown demo, this? I know we're not talking sandbox environment here but still, you couldn't give me more than ten minutes tops with no replay value other than to stare at the pretty graphics? Christ.

I'm sorry to bitch, and again, I know a demo's free, but it just struck me as... kind of perfunctory, to say the least. Oh well.

I'll probably still buy it. >_> :oops:

Eight Rooks on

• Options
    NicholololasNicholololas Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pretty "meh" in my opinion. Seems more of an expension pack than anything really (even the menus are identical), and after RS: Vegas, the control scheme seems slow and clumbersome. Will be passing on this alright.

Nicholololas on
    Workin' on leavin' the livin'.
  • Options
    VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, that's some major bullshit. They gave me some fresh assault rifles and I expect to use them and then that shit.

VaLiantine on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So when exactly did Ubisoft start releasing a new game in each Tom Clancy series every year with only slight improvements? They're turning into fucking EA. Of course the overall quality is much better, but it's still annoying. It'd be better if they put each sequel in the cooker for a couple years and coming out with really new stuff.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    VaLiantine wrote:
    Yeah, that's some major bullshit. They gave me some fresh assault rifles and I expect to use them and then that shit.

Only thing I saw new were the Beretta CX4 and PX4.

Unless you didn't play GRAW.

The one thing I don't like about it, is that all the weapons feel the same. There's no sense of power with them, like there is in R6:Vegas. Ooh, now you can punch through thin cover.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's more of the same.

Which is fine by me, because I like it. But damn was that an underwhelming demo.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    RepoMan1023RepoMan1023 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pretty "meh" in my opinion. Seems more of an expension pack than anything really (even the menus are identical), and after RS: Vegas, the control scheme seems slow and clumbersome. Will be passing on this alright.
    I feel the same way. Everything feels disconnected. Like there is a slight delay between pressing the trigger on the controller and your character actually firing.

RepoMan1023 on
    splasersigqg6.jpg
    RepoMan1023.gif
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yalborap wrote:
    Tzen wrote:

Nay. Gameboy color.

He might have been asking if there was a PC demo too because thats what I want to know ass.

I propose a new topic titling rule: If its a demo please state whether or no its a PC demo, 360 demo or some other kind in the topic title. As we all know now that downloadable demos aren't PC exclusive anymore and this isn't a single console game.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I never played GRAW, but the Ghost Recon game that launched with the first Xbox Live only got about two nights of play out of me. If the demo is impressive I may rent GRAW 2 when it comes out.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bruin wrote:
    So when exactly did Ubisoft start releasing a new game in each Tom Clancy series every year with only slight improvements? They're turning into fucking EA. Of course the overall quality is much better, but it's still annoying. It'd be better if they put each sequel in the cooker for a couple years and coming out with really new stuff.
    they are essentially 'the other EA' as i understand it. Except with a little more effort.

And i'd heard this got bumped up to compensate for the Assassin's Creed slip.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    darleysam wrote:

Not to derail, but what slip?

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    043 wrote:
    darleysam wrote:

Not to derail, but what slip?
    it was delayed by a few months. Was meant to be out early this year, got bumped back to a later release. It hasn't slipped further, as far as i'm aware.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    After playing the demo, I'm not really very impressed. The game looks good. Very good, actually. But it just feels... bad. The controls feel cumbersome and unnecessarily slow, especially with Vegas and Gears of War out now, which both do cover much better.

Weapons feel lifeless and lack the same kind of impact I'd wish they had. I might as well be shooting cap guns at the enemies.

The enemies are one of the big problems I had with the first game too. Not that they just stand around, but also that the way the game plays, "enemies" usually translates to "red diamonds on my HUD." It creates this odd disconnect. With the weapons as lifeless as they are, and enemies usually just being little red shapes in the distance, I always feel detached from the experience and the experience ends up feeling flat and lifeless.

All these problems I had with the first game as well, so I guess if you enjoyed that, then GRAW2 would be right up your alley. It sure is pretty...

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is the AI improved?

Daemonion on
  • Options
    AsciipandaAsciipanda Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Call me insane.But I like the demo.The kills seemed satisfying.Its pretty.If this is what the real games like.Color me Impressed.

Asciipanda on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Asciipanda wrote:
    Call me insane, but I like the demo. The kills seemed satisfying, it's pretty, and if this is what the real game's like, color me impressed.
    fixed, sorry.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    043 wrote:
    VaLiantine wrote:

Only thing I saw new were the Beretta CX4 and PX4.

Unless you didn't play GRAW.

The one thing I don't like about it, is that all the weapons feel the same. There's no sense of power with them, like there is in R6:Vegas. Ooh, now you can punch through thin cover.

Not in that terms, after you kill the the soldiers in the quarry, the UH-60 comes down and gives you new weapons and your squad.

VaLiantine on