As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GRAW2 -- Demo out now! [NSF56k]

2»

• Options
    LachLach Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I also enjoyed the demo. Even though it does feel like an expansion. I'll probably still pay full price for it because I <3 GRAW.

Lach on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    VaLiantine wrote:
    043 wrote:
    VaLiantine wrote:
    Yeah, that's some major bullshit. They gave me some fresh assault rifles and I expect to use them and then that shit.

Only thing I saw new were the Beretta CX4 and PX4.

Unless you didn't play GRAW.

The one thing I don't like about it, is that all the weapons feel the same. There's no sense of power with them, like there is in R6:Vegas. Ooh, now you can punch through thin cover.

Not in that terms, after you kill the the soldiers in the quarry, the UH-60 comes down and gives you new weapons and your squad.
    I did rather like the ability to carry an automatic in my secondary slot.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You had the ability to carry a MP5A3 or SD variant in the demo.

VaLiantine on
  • Options
    crash5scrash5s Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    WHY wrote:
    VaLiantine wrote:
    043 wrote:
    VaLiantine wrote:
    Yeah, that's some major bullshit. They gave me some fresh assault rifles and I expect to use them and then that shit.

The one thing I don't like about it, is that all the weapons feel the same. There's no sense of power with them, like there is in R6:Vegas. Ooh, now you can punch through thin cover.

Not in that terms, after you kill the the soldiers in the quarry, the UH-60 comes down and gives you new weapons and your squad.

Couldn't you carry an automatic as a secondary in the first one? Or was that PC only.

Come to think of it, I still need to finish the first one.

crash5s on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    crash5s wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    VaLiantine wrote:
    043 wrote:
    VaLiantine wrote:

Couldn't you carry an automatic as a secondary in the first one? Or was that PC only.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't even change what was in my pistol slot in the first one.

Even in multiplayer, it was a choice between a regular and silenced Baretta.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    electricpirateelectricpirate Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ubisoft seems to follow the "Star trek" rule, where every other game in a series is really good. They like to make a good game, then farm out the sequel which invariable is "ehh, derivative." The third goes back to the original studio, who makes it awesome. Just look at these two series,

PoP: First amazing, second terrible, third great
    Splinter cell: First amazing, Second was eh (Great MP though), third broke the doors open, fourth; good but generic.

electricpirate on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ubisoft seems to follow the "Star trek" rule, where every other game in a series is really good. They like to make a good game, then farm out the sequel which invariable is "ehh, derivative." The third goes back to the original studio, who makes it awesome. Just look at these two series,

PoP: First amazing, second terrible, third great
    Splinter cell: First amazing, Second was eh (Great MP though), third broke the doors open, fourth; good but generic.

Remember, GRAW was originally titled Ghost Recon 3. They changed it at like the last second.

So GRAW2 is actually just GR4, really.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    WHY wrote:
    crash5s wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    VaLiantine wrote:
    043 wrote:
    VaLiantine wrote:

I'm pretty sure I couldn't even change what was in my pistol slot in the first one.

Even in multiplayer, it was a choice between a regular and silenced Baretta.

lol that sucks. In the PC version you had a pretty decent selection for second weapon.

Though since the guns weigh more it should slow you down, but I never noticed it.

Reall though you didn't need the second weapon. yeah it was nice if you decided you wanted a sniper rifle to have a sub machine gun at your side, and yeah it was nice if you had a full machine gun to have a scoped semi at your side.

But since you always played to your main weapon I never used mine much.,

crash5s on
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mexicans invade the U.S.? They should have called it Ghost Recon Advanced Border Patrol. GRABP? Doesn't sound right.

Seriously, I want to fight some terrorists or enemy soldiers from a Middle Eastern or Asian country, which will probably never happen with this series, because Ubisoft is a French company.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    ZoldenZolden Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just downloaded and played through it a couple times, I had a blast. Not only does it look absolutely gorgeous, it plays pretty sweetly imo. I played the original GRAW for all of 15 minutes on my friends 360 and wasn't too impressed so I didn't buy it. But this I'll definitely pick up, launching nades at all the enemies at the end with the SCAR was so satisfiying. The explosions looked real, bullets bounce off material that they should. Firing was real feeling. I liked it quite a bit.

Wish they released a multiplayer map or something with it.

Zolden on
  • Options
    atf487atf487 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I liked it...

I don't think I'll pick it up when it comes out but maybe once the first CAG deal appears I'll jump on it.

atf487 on
    ATF360.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    atf487 wrote:
    I liked it...

I don't think I'll pick it up when it comes out but maybe once the first CAG deal appears I'll jump on it.

Problem with that is you'll miss the XBL shenanigans. To me, that's half the fun. Unless you don't really care.

Lach on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Daemonion wrote:
    Is the AI improved?

It's difficult to tell given the demo's so short, but signs point to no, unfortunately. Like Pancake says, lots of firing at little red diamonds in the distance that rarely move, if ever.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A lot of old school Tom Clancy games are becoming polar opposites from their roots.

Where was the sensitivity settings in the demo? Only thing I found to be nice was the option to have your default fire mode on single shot or auto.

VaLiantine on
  • Options
    atf487atf487 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lach wrote:
    atf487 wrote:
    I liked it...

Problem with that is you'll miss the XBL shenanigans. To me, that's half the fun. Unless you don't really care.

It's more of a money thing than anything else. I'm trying to blow less money on games so I have to prioritize things.

atf487 on
    ATF360.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    darleysam wrote:
    bruin wrote:
    So when exactly did Ubisoft start releasing a new game in each Tom Clancy series every year with only slight improvements? They're turning into fucking EA. Of course the overall quality is much better, but it's still annoying. It'd be better if they put each sequel in the cooker for a couple years and coming out with really new stuff.
    they are essentially 'the other EA' as i understand it. Except with a little more effort.

And i'd heard this got bumped up to compensate for the Assassin's Creed slip.

Essentially, most folks consider them "the EA that gives a shit about it's customers."

Also, GRAW was amazing, and I'd pick up a new one each year if they included an excellent story. Same with R6.

As for the demo... was fun, what I played (had to quit fast), but the mortar shower seemed really cheap to me. -shrug-

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Not played GRAW 1 for a while.

The graphics are much improved, but the controls felt like crap after Gears. Downloaded the demo, didn't finish it, played some Gears and had a blast. I liked GRAW 1, but it never really clicked with me, I'll skip this I think, many other shooters to be getting on with (like Lost Planet which also hasn't clicked with me). I might be jealous of the Live shenanigans, but Live is getting pretty healthy these days, certainly no problem getting games on in other popular titles so... skip (for now).

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    AtomicBananaAtomicBanana Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Not played GRAW 1 for a while.

The graphics are much improved, but the controls felt like crap after Gears. Downloaded the demo, didn't finish it, played some Gears and had a blast. I liked GRAW 1, but it never really clicked with me, I'll skip this I think, many other shooters to be getting on with (like Lost Planet which also hasn't clicked with me). I might be jealous of the Live shenanigans, but Live is getting pretty healthy these days, certainly no problem getting games on in other popular titles so... skip (for now).

This is scary, are you me? :P I feel exactly the same way. I enjoyed GRAW when it came out, but now the whole thing just feels so clumsy after playing gears. I played for a few mins, and just didn't feel happy with the controls so stopped.

AtomicBanana on
    isonline.AtomicBanana.gif Atomique+Banana.gif
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This game is clumsy compared to gears, and gears is mentally handicapped compared to R6. I'm surprised they kept the control scheme and system so basic after R6.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mexicans invade the U.S.? They should have called it Ghost Recon Advanced Border Patrol. GRABP? Doesn't sound right.

Seriously, I want to fight some terrorists or enemy soldiers from a Middle Eastern or Asian country, which will probably never happen with this series, because Ubisoft is a French company.

I dont really understand what you're getting at. Either way you shoot dudes in the face who have guns aimed at you.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    VaLiantine wrote:
    A lot of old school Tom Clancy games are becoming polar opposites from their roots.

Where was the sensitivity settings in the demo? Only thing I found to be nice was the option to have your default fire mode on single shot or auto.

Yep.

I went PC for GRAW and while it does have more depth and is better then the 360 versions it's still nowhere as deep or demanding as the older clancy games.

It doesn't make them worse, but the game is far more run and gun, and far less tactical and deep then the earlier ones.

Oh well.

crash5s on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    crash5s wrote:
    VaLiantine wrote:

Yep.

I went PC for GRAW and while it does have more depth and is better then the 360 versions it's still nowhere as deep or demanding as the older clancy games.

It doesn't make them worse, but the game is far more run and gun, and far less tactical and deep then the earlier ones.

Oh well.
    Ehh... R6 stopped being R6 the second Raven Shield was released.

As for Ghost Recon, I didn't like GR in the first place.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    VaLiantine wrote:
    043 wrote:
    VaLiantine wrote:

You start the game with a RX4, also new.

but yeah, all the guns feel kinda samey.

I really hate how the guy talking to Mitchell mentioned something about countersniping like it's new. It's not new. Maybe that's a new rifle, but I doubt even that.

...On the other hand, I really like GRAW. Just how different is one assault rifle going to be from another?

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    WHY wrote:
    crash5s wrote:
    VaLiantine wrote:

Yep.

Oh well.
    Ehh... R6 stopped being R6 the second Raven Shield was released.

As for Ghost Recon, I didn't like GR in the first place.

Yes on R6, but the latest one is even more shallow then the prior ones.

I don't think it's really that bad, it's for a broader audience. The original games were really hardcore realism shooters. And while PC gaming is all about depth and complexitiy, they were a bit daunting.

crash5s on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    OK so I finally gave the demo a proper run and I'm not very fond of it. It's way to short and it feels like GRAW 1.5. when I first played GRAW I thought it was so cool, this game doesn't have that wow factor because it's more of the same. I'll probably buy it anyway, but I'll be shaking my fist the entire time.

Lach on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah. Gotta say, the controls have gone to shit having played Gears. That's depressing.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I gave it a third chance, and, well, it's not any better than the first or second time I tried the demo. It really is the same game as the first GRAW, which was great back when it came out, but since then, we've gotten Gears of War and Vegas that have done the cover thing so, so much better than it's done in GRAW, and yet, for some reason, the same developer that made Vegas decided that it would be best not to change how GRAW controls.

This is the mistake that really kills it for me. When I saw it announced, I was a little excited about it since I didn't have a 360 while GRAW had a thriving community and I thought maybe I could get in on that with GRAW2. But apparently I can't. I can't help but feel I'm better off sticking to playing Vegas online. At least there, I'm not struggling with the awkward controls while I'm in cover while people are shooting at me.

Another thing I thought I'd whine about is the suppression thing. GRAW and GRAW2 both have you with limited health. You don't regenerate health. You're hurt, you're hurt, and you just have to deal with it. That's fine, but the problem for me is the bouncing camera when I'm being shot at while in cover or near cover getting hit. I get it, you're throwing my aim off so I can't take stupid risks and pop out and shoot while under fire.

I keep finding this incredibly annoying. If I can't regenerate health, I'm not going to want to be stupid and try to take aimed shots out of cover while five guys are shooting at me. You really don't need to make me nauseous by flicking my camera up and down really fast to drive the point home.

The whole game just irritates me. Better things have come and gone (by the same company, no less!) and all it's gotten is prettier. So I'm going to shut up now.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This is a pass for me. I guess I'm just not much of a gamer anymore.

:shrug:

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    since i didn't even really enjoy the GRAW demo (just couldn't find that 'feel' for the game), i think i'll just pass on this.
    A shame, but oh well.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Woodroez wrote:
    You start the game with a RX4, also new.

I didn't even know Beretta made a .223 carbine. Now I've looked it up.

Yet another weapon Ubisoft brought to my attention. <3

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]