As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Radioactive Drama Island, With our new contestant, Psychotic Super Mutants!

• Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd like to point out that I have a character that's siding with the Legion that has no trouble getting quests. I mean, he's not going around murdering NCR folk, so they let him be. You can even sabotage the NCR from within in certain moments.

What I mean is, there should be equal amount of Legion specific quests to NCR specific quests.

never-ending-reign on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    C2B wrote: »
    Also, yeah. Romans did. Like most/all warfaring nations back then.

Of course they fucking did. But reducing the entire methodology and range of qualities that the Roman empire used to become the dominant world power of its time to "Commit atrocities against civilians" is laughable, especially since, as you point out, everybody did that so there was nothing uniquely "Roman" about it and yet not everybody managed to become the proverbial intersection of all highways.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »

Of course they fucking did. But reducing the entire methodology and range of qualities that the Roman empire used to become the dominant world power of its time to "Commit atrocities against civilians" is laughable, especially since, as you point out, everybody did that so there was nothing uniquely "Roman" about it and yet not everybody managed to become the proverbial intersection of all highways.

Yes. Also No they didn't and you are oversimplifing it. Cesar and the Legion didn't just get to where they are by "commit atrocitis against Civilians". (Not that they don't do it. The legion conquers through fear)

Edit: Thats not to say that the Legion resembles romans 100%. Don't forget that Cesar got basically his related knowdledge through a textbook and the rest he made up in his own twisted mind.

C2B on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yes. Also No they didn't

What?
    Cesar and the Legion didn't just get to where they are by "commit atrocitis against Civilians".

One would think not, but that's pretty much all we ever actually see. Again, there's nothing about them that suggests that they're actually trying to emulate or at all similar to the Roman empire beyond borrowed terms and kitschy costumes. Heck, most Legion troops don't even know the aesthetic is supposed to be Roman, they think Caesar got the idea from the god Mars, to the extent that they care at all.

This is the point I'm getting at: there's nothing actually Roman about Caesar's Legion. To suggest that things should work the same for one as they did for the other or that one is capable of the same things as the other is ridiculous.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    To suggest that things should work the same for one as they did for the other or that one is capable of the same things as the other is ridiculous.

No, its not the same thing. Yes it has some (twisted in cases) similiarities because its based on it.
    One would think not, but that's pretty much all we ever actually see.

Yeah, I'd guess thats a pretty usual complaint if you live/visit (in) a country that gets invaded. (Especially by a force with war tactics like the legion)

Apart from that I'd love for a future Fallout game or DLC playing in Legion territory and its true that there are way too few quests for the legion.

C2B on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ...I did not expect my one-line not-funny-at-all joke to generate this kind of intense discussion.

This thread appears to be serious business.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    To suggest that things should work the same for one as they did for the other or that one is capable of the same things as the other is ridiculous.

No, its not the same thing. Yes it has some (twisted in cases) similiarities because its based on it.
    One would think not, but that's pretty much all we ever actually see.

Yeah, I'd guess thats a pretty usual complaint if you live/visit (in) a country that gets invaded. (Especially by a force with war tactics like the legion)

Apart from that I'd love for a future Fallout game or DLC playing in Legion territory and its true that there are way too few quests for the legion.

Thank you.

never-ending-reign on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    ...I did not expect my one-line not-funny-at-all joke to generate this kind of intense discussion.

This thread appears to be serious business.

Vidya gayems iz serius biznesss!

El Guaco on
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I just finished Dead Money.

The writing and characterization was pretty good, the actual gameplay was infuriatingly bad. Too many 'beep beep' sections meant the last hour or so just felt like a grind. And I hate DLC that won't let you go back to the main game until you've finished it. Oh, and there wasn't much decent loot. In summary, it pretty much sucked.

Even though the writing was good, there was only one bit that really took me by suprise:
    Dean deliberately maimed Christine to 'tune' her voice so she could open the vault? Dude is a badass.

Deicist on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    badass, sociopathic

what's in a name

L|ama on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tallus wrote: »
    So I just finished Dead Money.

The writing and characterization was pretty good, the actual gameplay was infuriatingly bad. Too many 'beep beep' sections meant the last hour or so just felt like a grind. And I hate DLC that won't let you go back to the main game until you've finished it. Oh, and there wasn't much decent loot. In summary, it pretty much sucked.

Even though the writing was good, there was only one bit that really took me by suprise:
    Dean deliberately maimed Christine to 'tune' her voice so she could open the vault? Dude is a badass.
    The guy spent 2 centuries trying to break in the Sierra Madre. Don't you think it would be expected that he'd try something like that?

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I kept hoping there was a way to
    lure Dean into the vault and have him seal himself in. That situation was literally tailored for him, right down to the Poe reference.

On the upside, the automatic rifle rather nicely fills a gap in my arsenal. New Vegas was short on good auto guns apart from heavy weapons.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Do I want the perk that gives me 2 points per book instead of 1? I've only found about 38-39 of the possible 300+ books in Fo3 so far, so it seems like it might be a good thing to grab. I didn't have the forward thinking to just save up my books because I didn't know about the perk at first.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't think I ever felt low on skill points in FO3. So i'd say no. Better to grab Intense Training.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Comprehension's not a bad pick if you're looking to max out everything ASAP, but stat points and damage bonuses are more immediately useful. That said, you'll find at least one book in almost every location - usually more - so if you habitually check out nearby map markers then it's a good way to round out lesser-used skills over time.

You'll also have a few level stretches where you won't get many new options. So don't worry too much about passing up something that looks useful, you'll probably wind up picking it eventually.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    I don't think I ever felt low on skill points in FO3. So i'd say no. Better to grab Intense Training.

Wouldn't it be better to get Almost Perfect at level 30?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Well, you kind of need to wait till the end of the game for it.

I'd rather have the SPECIAL bonuses through early and mid game then wait till the end.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nah, FO3 you can get 30 waaaaaaaaaay before the end of the game. Just do things to maximize your XP, turn up the difficulty, always lockpick a safe before you hack a computer for double the xp, etc. You can get it pretty damn early if you try. Better to do so too if you're aiming for a "max" character, so you don't have to backtrack too much for bobbleheads etc.

EDIT: I mean, hack the computer but don't unlock the safes; just log out and then lockpick the door/safe.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

But what's the point? It adds some skill points to everything, but by then, you already have that awesome build that can take on just about anything regardless of your specialization.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "You fail to finish Young Hearts because you opened Alice Mclafferty's desk (locked) even though it has nothing whatsoever to do with this quest"

O_o Might want to test your game a bit more next time.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The rule is, if a quest has more then two steps to it, it will fail.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    MerculoreMerculore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just like when I dance.

Merculore on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sirialis wrote: »
    "You fail to finish Young Hearts because you opened Alice Mclafferty's desk (locked) even though it has nothing whatsoever to do with this quest"

Did you do that in front of someone? Cause that'll piss Mclafferty off.

You wouldn't appeal to your teacher for a makeup test after you got caught cheating, would you?

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sirialis wrote: »

Did you do that in front of someone? Cause that'll piss Mclafferty off.

You wouldn't appeal to your teacher for a makeup test after you got caught cheating, would you?

No, I did it like 4 hours before that, and has been to Crimson Caravan regularly since that, its listed as a bug in the quest under falloutwiki, and thats how I discovered that it was the reason.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    John BradleyJohn Bradley Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tap, tap, tap... is this thing on?

John Bradley on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have been inspired to create one of Stocking's swords in Fallout 3! I may do Panty's if I am so inspired.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have been inspired to create one of Stocking's swords in Fallout 3! I may do Panty's if I am so inspired.

Hahaha, awesome! Show us how it turns out.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Two related news

1. Clarification from JR Vosovic

http://okidus.blogspot.com/2011/03/gdc-post-clarification.html
    Hello new followers, if you are here for 40K ramblings, welcome! If you are here re: the GDC post, I'd like to clarify a couple of things.

The words I used were harsh, but also an exaggeration. At no time did I ever feel anything unreasonable was asked of me during my employment at Obsidian Entertainment.

OEI was and remains to be the best company I have worked for. The Game Industry is notorious for its 'Crunch' and when I said 'FNV Crunch crushed my will to live...' it was intended as a joke and a gross exaggeration. (and an excuse as to why I didn't finish personal projects, when the truth was I just didn't feel like working on them.)

2. John Gonzalez. New Vegas Lead Writer/Creative Lead left Obsidian for WB Games. (NV was his only project at Obsidian. Man likes to switch companies I guess. 4 games 4 developers)

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnrgonzalez
    John Gonzalez

Current
    Lead Designer, Narrative at WB Games

Past
    Lead Creative Designer / Lead Writer at Obsidian Entertainment
    Lead Narrative Designer at Ubisoft Entertainment (Shanghai)
    Writer at Outrage Entertainment

C2B on
  • Options
    Jason00Jason00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Been playing Dead Money and I haven't really hated it, but I sure have not liked it.

My main two observations based on how deep into I am so far (not sure if this is a spoiler, so I will be vague -- I just got into the place you need to get in to): 1) Christine is totally sweet and I wish I could take her back to the wasteland with me, and 2) I fucking hate the fucking fuck out of the motherfucking bear traps. Seriously, it seems like I can't walk up a single flight of stairs without having to disarm two bear traps, and then miss one anyway and lose 20% of my health. It's not challenging, it's annoying.

Edit: Finished the dlc. I wanted one ending (trying to avoid spoilers here: if you look at the achievements, it was the 30 pt ending) but I wasn't able to -- the game froze every time I tried it. Finally, I did the other one and it worked like a charm. Not a big deal, since the endings don't seem to affect anything at all, but it was pretty annoying.

Jason00 on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just finished Dead Money a few days ago. The second half -- where you are now, if I understand you correctly -- is much better than the first half. I'm pretty sure you're past all the bear traps, for one thing.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Real life vaults becoming a thing of reality? It's more possible than you think.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/22/real_estate/doomsday_bunkers/index.htm

Vault-tec is just around the corner.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Does anyone who uses the CASM mod save system for New Vegas know if the quicksaves and autosaves generated by it suffer the same fate of corruption/CTD's that the games default system of quicksaves and autosaves do?

Metallikat on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Metallikat wrote: »
    Does anyone who uses the CASM mod save system for New Vegas know if the quicksaves and autosaves generated by it suffer the same fate of corruption/CTD's that the games default system of quicksaves and autosaves do?

I'm pretty sure that the patch fixed those issues. I didn't hear anyone talking about corrupted saves in the months after it came out.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Metallikat wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that the patch fixed those issues. I didn't hear anyone talking about corrupted saves in the months after it came out.

I had to restart my game a while ago due to the save game corruption issue. I started a new game, doing only manual saves from the menu. While I get the occasional CTD every now and then, I'm about 27 hours into this run.

Also, I just beat Dead Money last night. I enjoyed it, despite some tedious spots. One thing that really annoyed me...
    So, I finally get to meet Elijah, and not only does he not look anything like the picture I'd been talking to, he is in fact wearing generic, bearded old man face number 3. Come on guys, a little effort here! I figure the guys who design NPC faces and the guys who do the character animations must have some serious blackmail material on their higher ups

Metallikat on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm playing through this again finally (school waylaid my playthrough when it came out), and I've got the King offering a favor. Now I'm trying to figure out the best use for it. Besides the initial favors he allows, I've also got the option to ask him to cease the violence in Freeside, but some searching online shows there may be another option involving the platinum chip?

Except I have the platinum chip, and there aren't any other favors offered, and no amount of searching will tell me where in the story this supposed favor shows up. Can you help a brother out?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    He can also offer you
    A pass into the the Strip, if you don't have enough caps or high enough science to make it in.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    He can also offer you
    A pass into the the Strip, if you don't have enough caps or high enough science to make it in.

Honestly, by the time you get to that point, you should have waaaay more than the 2000 caps necessary to pass the check. I usually have anywhere from 30 to 40 thousand caps by then.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also if you have a high enough speech, you can just talk to the person who'd give you the Strip pass and he'll offer it anyway. Another speech/barter check and you can get it for even cheaper.

However, having the full 2000 caps means you have a net loss of 0 caps, so it's still the best way.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also if you have a high enough speech, you can just talk to the person who'd give you the Strip pass and he'll offer it anyway. Another speech/barter check and you can get it for even cheaper.

However, having the full 2000 caps means you have a net loss of 0 caps, so it's still the best way.

You can also SCIENCE! your way past the robot at the gate.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why would you pay 2000 instead of 500 at that shop?

Kadoken on
This discussion has been closed.