As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Radioactive Drama Island, With our new contestant, Psychotic Super Mutants!

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think that listing was a mistake or way early.

Besides the fact that I don't think NV won any GOTY awards, they have 4 DLC's planned (total including Dead Money and the Hearts one) and I suspect a full edition won't come out till all the DLC's are complete. At least, I'd hope not, that'd be stupid. The game just came out in the fall. this fall at the earliest should be when a full version comes out.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Speaking of the other DLCs, has ANY news surfaced on them in the last month or so?

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Speaking of the other DLCs, has ANY news surfaced on them in the last month or so?

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1179411-an-update-from-bethesda/
    Hi everyone,

On behalf of all of the hard-working teams at Bethesda and Obsidian, I’d like to give you an update what we’ve been working on these past few months.

Well, here’s what happened: our next DLC release (announcement coming very soon, we promise) has been complete while we worked on getting a patch ready for you all. We didn’t want to just release more DLC before we had a patch that would improve the overall New Vegas experience.

The good news is that we do have such a patch and it’s been handed off to the necessary platform owners. It should be released in the next couple of weeks on 360, PS3 and PC (can’t be more specific than that, I’m afraid, although PC will almost certainly get it first).

So what’s in that patch? First and foremost, optimizations and stability improvements. While there are bug fixes, our core focus was on improving stability and performance. We worked directly with first party platform owners to identify issues, and we have fixed a great deal of the crashes and lockups that people were experiencing. In addition, we scoured the forums and this patch includes weapon balance tweaks and other requested fixes.

We know we’re not done yet. There’s still more work to do, and we’ll be monitoring the forums very carefully following the release of this patch, looking for more issues. We do have another update planned further down the line.

So I’d like to apologize for the radio silence. Hopefully you’ll be pleased with the enormous amount of work we’ve put into this update over the last few months, and will enjoy the rest of our DLC releases. We have some pretty cool stuff coming soon. Stay tuned!

Thanks,
    Jason Bergman
    Senior Producer, FNV

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    finnith wrote: »
    Chinese Stealth Armor breaks the game. I would suggest you not use it at all.

Have you played The Pitt or Broken Steel?

I still have bad memories from my times in the Presidential Metro Tunnels.

Nah - I got all the DLC a long time ago when my friends and I went in on purchasing the DLC discs and just all installed them. And then I bought Zeta when it went on sale.

I did Anchorage first because I play as a stealthy character whos great with energy weapons, and figured the Stealth suit would make the rest of the stuff fun. It has not done that.

Then I moved on to Zeta because I heard you get some good energy guns.

Ive done a few quests that came along with Broken Steel, because Im making myself walk from locations. They've been by far much more enjoyable than either Anchorage or Zeta (just did the one with the church, and Ive done the one with the ghoul selling aqua pura).

I totally forgot Point Lookout existed, so I guess Ill do the Pitt, then Lookout (because I remember people saying its the best), THEN finish off Broken Steel to end Fallout 3 for a long time.

...and move on to New Vegas.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I found that the best way to make use of the stealth armor was to not hold back and go balls deep stealth, with either a shady sands shuffle or forgoing long range attacks to mow everyone down at close range.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I found that the best way to make use of the stealth armor was to not hold back and go balls deep stealth, with either a shady sands shuffle or forgoing long range attacks to mow everyone down at close range.

Dart gun. Or just blow cover using a powerful weapon for a sneak attack, like the Gauss Rifle.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dunwich building needs a chaos sorcerer.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

There is a mod for it that adds Deadites and the Necronomicon.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not really interested in NV DLC, which is weird since I got all the FO3 DLC. I think it's mostly due to the stupid delay schedules: if the 360 gets DLC next month, the pc gets it...um...christmas? Then I might as well just not buy it and wait for a DLC bundle at some point.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    pretty sure they're all simultaneous release except the first one

L|ama on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Has there been news about the second dlc yet?

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited April 2011

There is a mod for it that adds Deadites and the Necronomicon.

But are they are part of the Traitor Legions?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Domhnall wrote: »
    Has there been news about the second dlc yet?

I have the news about it in an earlier post. On this very page, in fact.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think one of the problems I am having with new vegas is the setting, some areas feel little post apocalytpic, but more often then not it feels like an old west setting, just not as nice as red dead redemption, despite the tunnels in DC, the wreckage of the city was just so much fun, and the wastes just felt that much more... alien.

I really hope in the DLCs they examine some of the raider gangs in the area more in depth, the vipers, khans or something like that, they just felt so under represented despite the fact they are supposed to be holding a good bit of the city

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    farbekrieg wrote: »
    I think one of the problems I am having with new vegas is the setting, some areas feel little post apocalytpic, but more often then not it feels like an old west setting, just not as nice as red dead redemption, despite the tunnels in DC, the wreckage of the city was just so much fun, and the wastes just felt that much more... alien.

It's been 200 years since the nuclear war. The level of devestation in D.C. just plain doesn't make any sense. New Vegas is setting consistant. I know people like the destroyed, post-apocalyptic look, but it simply isn't logical for the IP in question.

Bethesda should've gone with their original plan and set their game much, much earlier. Like, Fallout 1 era or before.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think the logic went that the DC area were higher value targets and were hit more and had more of the population in vaults....still, there is the point that we didn't see more shanty towns at the edge of the coast or on the fringes.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, you know, there were the highly active super mutants constantly sieging the entire area. That would hold back civilization quite a bit.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Just finished Zeta, and I really, really disliked it. Like a ton.

It started out interestingly enough, but I got hit with bugs hard and fast, and it just kind of ruined any enjoyment I was having.

On my way to the bridge it glitched and trapped me in a room, not letting me activate any teleporters. A quick look online showed its fairly common. Well from that point on, things just seemed really off. What people were saying never seemed to match what was happening, two of my crew kind of randomly died in battles, and the end battle was just a mishmash of trying to haphazardly figure out what was going on while everyone was yelling and dying. I SUPPOSED that is the intent - chaos on the alien ship! - but it didnt come off like that. It came off like a fight with the controls and with the game itself, not the aliens.

And I never found anything really awesome. And was also very dissapointed out of the 3 people that survived, 1 doesnt talk, 1 had no real resolution (is it even possible to find Sally's sister anywhere? It has to be, right?), and the last one simply dissapeared altogether. Couldnt find Somah at all once the fight ended, but didnt get a message she died.

All in all, glad to be back in the wasteland and have the real "Fallout world" type packs left to do - Point Lookout, The Pitt and Broken Steel.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ...Yeah...Zeta was pretty bad.

The enemies take way too long to kill, there is next to no real plot or exploration, and while it is a nice setpiece it gets old fast.

Best thing about the whole thing was the items but I was pretty much done with everything else at that point so it didn't matter.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Glad to hear you thought it was bad too, in a way. I noticed I havent played FO3 in over a year - but bought the expansions and just never got to them. So I figured id make myself play them before New Vegas. I LOVED FO3, but the whole time I was playing Zeta in the back of my mind I was wondering what the hell I loved about it, and was worried maybe I just wouldnt like it anymore...

So Im glad Zeta is the exception and my memories are still correct, haha.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah. The other were pretty decent(though I think Point Lookout suffered from bullet sponge enemies too a little bit).

On the subject of DLC I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about NV in that department yet. It's been 4-5 months now. If the next one is an expansion like Shivering Isles was then that'd be cool I guess.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    the next DLC is done and they're finishing up a new patch to go out first

check last page

Elendil on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

It's been 200 years since the nuclear war. The level of devestation in D.C. just plain doesn't make any sense. New Vegas is setting consistant. I know people like the destroyed, post-apocalyptic look, but it simply isn't logical for the IP in question.

Bethesda should've gone with their original plan and set their game much, much earlier. Like, Fallout 1 era or before.

Definitely I mean everything in FO3 fit a very early point in the timeline. You had the Brotherhood not being totally secluded douchbags which could have been from them still remembering being the military who's goal was to protect the people. The destroyed ruins obviously wouldn't have had the time to decay and be rebuilt. The number of people who understand real science and could work to rebuild things also lends itself to a time period around when the bombs fell.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    the next DLC is done and they're finishing up a new patch to go out first

check last page

Sorry...it's hard to find actual new updates with all the FO3 vs F:NV bickering and what not.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Definitely I mean everything in FO3 fit a very early point in the timeline. You had the Brotherhood not being totally secluded douchbags which could have been from them still remembering being the military who's goal was to protect the people. The destroyed ruins obviously wouldn't have had the time to decay and be rebuilt. The number of people who understand real science and could work to rebuild things also lends itself to a time period around when the bombs fell.

Oddly enough there are still indications in-game that this was the case. Pinkerton talks about remnants of the Naval Research Center (I think that was the group) clearing the carrier decades ago. I can buy a continuity of government program lasting centuries, with the proper resources, but that stuck out for me.

I let it slide because he could remake my face in better lighting. I probably spent more time fiddling with the face maker than I did with stats and skills.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »

The enemies take way too long to kill, there is next to no real plot or exploration, and while it is a nice setpiece it gets old fast.

Best thing about the whole thing was the items but I was pretty much done with everything else at that point so it didn't matter.

I think I benefited from doing both Anchorage and Zeta early in my playthrough, and before the other DLC. The power armor and guns I ended up with, not to mention the aplexi stuff, helped out a lot with the game. Also, I hadn't gone through many vaults and subways yet so the corridor gameplay didn't bother me.

AZChristopher on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I think I benefited from doing both Anchorage and Zeta early in my playthrough, and before the other DLC. The power armor and guns I ended up with, not to mention the aplexi stuff, helped out a lot with the game. Also, I hadn't gone through many vaults and subways yet so the corridor gameplay didn't bother me.

It's called epoxy.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Stolls wrote: »

Oddly enough there are still indications in-game that this was the case. Pinkerton talks about remnants of the Naval Research Center (I think that was the group) clearing the carrier decades ago. I can buy a continuity of government program lasting centuries, with the proper resources, but that stuck out for me.

I let it slide because he could remake my face in better lighting. I probably spent more time fiddling with the face maker than I did with stats and skills.

I just attributed that to bad writing; I'm pretty sure that they decided to go to the "50 years after FO2" thing pretty early in development. My response was, "If it's 50 years after FO2, then why do most towns have 4 residents and they still live in utter filth, when the settlements in FO2 had dozens if not hundreds of people and were re-learning sanitation procedures?" Sigh.

I don't want to bag on FO3. It was a good game, for what it was. I sank a lot of hours into it. It was like reading fanfiction, though. It pandered to the aesthetics of a thing I liked, without thinking it through very well.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well really, at best a writer (or team of writers) is going to be just one voice in determining the layout or infrastructure of a given location. I admit it's weird that DC survivors have somehow eked out a living despite showing little development over such a long period of time, but that by itself is more a basic design issue than strictly the writing. Given Bethesda's reputation with TES games, I can imagine they had their hands full elsewhere, so I have a hard time holding that against them.

Now Trouble on the Homefront, that was bad writing. 101 was a lot quieter when I left for good.

Stolls on
  • Options
    Captain BlackCaptain Black Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I really hope in the DLCs they examine some of the raider gangs in the area more in depth, the vipers, khans or something like that, they just felt so under represented despite the fact they are supposed to be holding a good bit of the city
    I don't feel like the Vipers or the Great Khans were underrepresented in NV. I know there's at least one loading screen blurb that basically says, "The Vipers/other generic Raider gang name were once an issue in the Mojave, but the NCR has nearly wiped them out." As such, you don't really see many of those tribes besides the odd small encampment/random encounter. They're simply nearing extinction.

To touch on your remarks about NV's setting, I feel like the more "Old West" theme is much more believable than FO3's post-apocalyptic theme. Not only was the Mojave not hit as hard as some other locations in the US, but the first major signs of a return to normalcy appear on the west coast. The east coast, with its many major cities, was undoubtedly hit harder than the west, resulting in worse condition of infrastructure, etc.

FO3's style really stretched my suspension of disbelief with some of its choices. Take Rivet City, for instance: it's supposedly the most "settled" area in the DC area, and arguably the safest area in DC, and yet there's still trash EVERYWHERE inside the place. I know for a fact that Gary's daughter sweeps now and again, and there's no way that she's doing that bad of a job.

Captain Black on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And maybe I'm not remembering, but I don't' remember FO1 or 2 hitting the post-apocalyptic or retro 50s angles nearly as hard as 3 did.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    And maybe I'm not remembering, but I don't' remember FO1 or 2 hitting the post-apocalyptic or retro 50s angles nearly as hard as 3 did.

Those were kind of different though. It's... hard to explain, but in Fallout 1 & 2, the 50's themes came from stuff you found, the old classic cartoon characters (vault boy/girl), and the Galaxy News Radio TV broadcast in the intro scene, showing a black and white TV and commercials with no sound, save for the song "Maybe".

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

What the hell.

Thats like.. I cant even come up with a thing, thats how far deep in the land of wrong you are.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's important to remember that FO3 isn't really any more abstracted or "shallow" than FO1 or FO2 were; the more visible nature of the 3d environment just makes that more obvious. In FO1/2, you could kind of see sections of the towns but that you couldn't visit- so you unconsciously assume there are more people than are actually represented in the game world, as would make sense. The world map, barren as it was, left plenty of space for other places. But, of course, you can walk around the entirety of the map in FO3.

If you look at the original games the same way you look at Fallout 3, they make just as little sense- towns with too small a population, not enough farmland, etc. You have to accept the world is an abstraction; it's just more obvious in FO3.

New Vegas, in my opinion, more skillfully concealed the problem, but it's still there if you think too hard about it.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's important to remember that FO3 isn't really any more abstracted or "shallow" than FO1 or FO2 were; the more visible nature of the 3d environment just makes that more obvious. In FO1/2, you could kind of see sections of the towns but that you couldn't visit- so you unconsciously assume there are more people than are actually represented in the game world, as would make sense. The world map, barren as it was, left plenty of space for other places. But, of course, you can walk around the entirety of the map in FO3.

If you look at the original games the same way you look at Fallout 3, they make just as little sense- towns with too small a population, not enough farmland, etc. You have to accept the world is an abstraction; it's just more obvious in FO3.

New Vegas, in my opinion, more skillfully concealed the problem, but it's still there if you think too hard about it.

This is an old problem in gaming. A mid-size town nowadays can have tens of thousands of people in it, which is more than any one game can ever conceivably process. A nuclear war would certainly have the excuse for smaller populations, but viable communities could still number in the hundreds; more than most players have time to reasonably interact with. On top of that, when each of those people is fully rendered and has a voice, instead of being a 2D sprite with a couple lines of text, the required resources increase exponentially.

Warren Spector once stated he'd like to do a game based in one city block, with a semi-realistic accounting of everything that can happen to every inhabitant in that block. Obviously you can jam dozens if not hundreds of people in that, and covering everything they can do isn't really practical. This is one of the main reasons Deus Ex took place at night, spending a lot of time in abandoned areas and cities under curfew.

Back to Fallout, FO1 and 2 are old enough that it's easier to use your imagination to fill in the gaps. As Phobos points out, that's harder to do with 3 given its engine, so it does stick out more. Granted, a modern game can still skew towards towns that feel cramped or underpopulated - to bring up DX again, Invisible War is a good counterpoint here - but a good team can work around this. New Vegas does a better job of hiding it, I agree, but it's there if you look: with just one terminal at McCarren (it would've had several even back in the 50s) there's still a lot of open space, and it has one of the larger NPC counts in the game.

For what it's worth I do agree that 1 and 2 put more thought into their worlds and the infrastructure to maintain them, but there's a world of difference between doing so in 2D and 3D, and given that difference it's pretty far down on the list of things that bug me about 3. I'm glad NV spent more time developing it, of course.

Stolls on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Replaying NV this weekend, I realized one of my biggest problems with it, besides the lack of any story at all beyond "Go kill Chandler, BTW Andrew Ryan wants that thing back, so do Bush and Heston.", is what I call chaining. For instance, in order to complete For the Republic Part 2, I need to complete Oh My Papa. In order to complete Oh My Papa, I need to complete Aba Daba Honeymoon. In order to complete Aba Daba Honeymoon I need to not do an unmarked quest from Col. Hsu.

Ugh.

Also, in regards to D.C., you have to remember it was hit harder then the West Coast, and had no grand organizations to try to pull it together. No NCR, no Followers, hell, even the Legion never went that far east. The only groups with any real power and ability to produce are Ashur's, the Institute, and the Enclave, none of which want to play community.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    By the way, which is more useful, a Gatling Laser or a Plasma Caster?

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    By the way, which is more useful, a Gatling Laser or a Plasma Caster?

Plasma Caster, definitely. More power to it and it uses MFC as opposed to the more expensive ECP. Plus Gatling Lasers burn through ammo, whereas a modded Plasma Caster can do awesome DPS and has large plasma shots, making it easier to hit targets.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah. I like the Gatling Laser because it looks so cool but it just isn't economical.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Replaying NV this weekend, I realized one of my biggest problems with it, besides the lack of any story at all beyond "Go kill Chandler, BTW Andrew Ryan wants that thing back, so do Bush and Heston.", is what I call chaining. For instance, in order to complete For the Republic Part 2, I need to complete Oh My Papa. In order to complete Oh My Papa, I need to complete Aba Daba Honeymoon. In order to complete Aba Daba Honeymoon I need to not do an unmarked quest from Col. Hsu.

Ugh.

I don't see what the problem is. The game builds upon your consistant accomplishments in a logical fashion. In a lot of cases, you'll have done most of that stuff already in the normal course of playing the game. Makes a lot more sense than new quest objectives appearing out of nowhere when you reach the endgame.
    Also, in regards to D.C., you have to remember it was hit harder then the West Coast, and had no grand organizations to try to pull it together. No NCR, no Followers, hell, even the Legion never went that far east. The only groups with any real power and ability to produce are Ashur's, the Institute, and the Enclave, none of which want to play community.

That's really the problem, though. They designed the east coast without compelling wide-spanning groups. They could've, you know, not designed it that way by creating actual groups you feel cool joining. Rivet City could've easily have been a lot more important (in the game world, not the plot), for example. The Republic of Dave could've been more than one shitty dirt farm (and getting involved with their electoral process could've actually had a purpose). Having options with Tenpenny Tower beyond "allow homocidal maniacs in" would've been great... how about have options revolving around a ghoul community and Tenpenny actually sharing resources if you put the correct people in charge of each?

I understand the "harder hit by nukes" thing. It still doesn't explain why civilization barely exists 200 years later. The super mutants rampaging everywhere would make a compelling argument, but, aside from Big Town, there's not much evidence that mutant attacks have substantially decreased community sizes, if I'm remembering correctly.

Dracomicron on
This discussion has been closed.