As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 Questions

2»

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the add anoffday.

I added you last night.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    Well, I will hopefully be getting my system this week or early next! So far I've scrounged up from GameStop:

- Uncharted 1 & 2
    - Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
    - Demon's Souls
    - 3-D Dot Game Heroes

Plus I'll be getting Wipeout HD and Shatter, and I already have Flower, which will help me relax after I get tired of Demon's Souls punching me in the dick. Might get the PSN Tetris. What does the Fury expansion add to Wipeout HD, and is it worth the extra bones?

Will probably pass on PSN Plus for now, but I'll be keeping my eye on the sale features.

Go for WIpeout HD on it's own first, I'd say. I bought it, I love it but not enough to complete it. I put it on every now and then for a quick race but it's not a game I can put substantial time in to.

On the other hand you may love it, then you can snap up the expansion.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Prince of Persia series got the HD treatment, too if that's your thing. You can get the PS2 remasters individually on PSN, too. Fat Princes is a fun PSN exclusive, and if you get the Plus service you get some games for free each month, along with discounts. It's not necessary like XBL Gold membership is because playing online is still free, but it's a nice deal. And while I'm on the subject of multiplayer, MAG, Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 are all decent shooters.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ohio wrote: »
    Question about custom playlists on the PS3--

I'm used to how it works on the 360. I can put the physical MP3s on the xbox, or I can stream it from my computer. I can get to it by pushing the xbox button no matter what I'm doing at the time.

How is this on the PS3? Can I stream it from my computer? (It's an iMac, actually.)

Or should I put the music on the PS3? And if so, how do I do that?

And then how do I do custom playlists when I'm playing a game?

You can stream from any DLNA device. (My NAS does this, also free programs for PC, MAC and Linux)
    However I don't think you can stream your music when you are playing games, you can only play music that is stored locally on your PS3. But you can copy the music off of your server if you hit triangle and do a multiple file copy.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is there any indication that Jak and Daxter might get a HD remake? Or even a new Jak game?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Didn't they finish the story with the third game? I would not be surprised at all if they announced an HD remake for the series, though.

• Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Naughty Dog has more or less stuck to one title per generation haven't they?
    PS1 - Crash
    PS2 - Jak and Daxter
    PS3 - Uncharted

Not that I would complain if they made another Jak and Daxter (although I don't remember the conclusion of 3) but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything other than an HD remake.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Lunker wrote: »
    Well, I will hopefully be getting my system this week or early next! So far I've scrounged up from GameStop:

- Uncharted 1 & 2
    - Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
    - Demon's Souls
    - 3-D Dot Game Heroes

Plus I'll be getting Wipeout HD and Shatter, and I already have Flower, which will help me relax after I get tired of Demon's Souls punching me in the dick. Might get the PSN Tetris. What does the Fury expansion add to Wipeout HD, and is it worth the extra bones?

Will probably pass on PSN Plus for now, but I'll be keeping my eye on the sale features.

Go for WIpeout HD on it's own first, I'd say. I bought it, I love it but not enough to complete it. I put it on every now and then for a quick race but it's not a game I can put substantial time in to.

On the other hand you may love it, then you can snap up the expansion.

I ended up going for the HD + Fury bundle, since it was only $5 more. The game is jawdroppingly beautiful: 1080p, 60 frames a second, all glorious, shiny, electronica-infused honey. I'm not sure if I'll actually make it through all of the content, but I'll have fun trying (and the black Fury menu screen is much nicer than the blindingly white HD one!).

How are the Prince of Persia HD upports? I completely forgot about those and didn't even know they were available a la carte. Might upgrade from my old Cube versions of SoT and Two Thrones. I'll also be checking out the InFamous demo based on all of the love it's getting here, and I really, really want to try out Heavy Rain, especially since the PS3 I was gifted has the Move controller and I've heard some good things about how HR integrates it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I actually forgot the damn thing plays Blu-Rays until last night. :lol: Any crazy-awesome movie recommendations? Defaulting to The Dark Knight seems so cliche, but my wife and I did like the movie a lot.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Demon's Souls is great. If you are really struggling at first, just hit up the wiki for some hints.

CrewMember169 on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Is there any indication that Jak and Daxter might get a HD remake? Or even a new Jak game?

HD remake? Are you talking about a HD Collection? Because that's a certainty, some time in the next couple of years. An actual remake or new Jak game though? The only way that's happening is if Sony contracted some other company to make one and that's probably not going to happen. They're certainly not going to move Naughty Dog off Uncharted, seeing as it's far more popular and quite frankly, a far better series. The closest the PS3 will get to a new Jak game is Playstation Move Heroes, the R&C, Sly and Jak crossover game.

Lunker, the PoP ports are decent but not ideal. Graphically they look a little better but there's not much of a noticeable improvement. There's also some real weird sound bugs in there, where the music will just cut out abruptly. I can't really speak for Two Thrones though, it's meant to be the best port but I haven't played it yet.

As for Blu-Rays, The Dark Knight's IMAX scenes look absolutely amazing so pick it up. And while it wasn't filmed with IMAX cameras, Inception looks amazing too. Otherwise, Pixar movies are good bets.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am going to have a de-recommendation.

There is no reason to play Uncharted 1, just play 2, it is a better game in every conceivable way.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am going to have a de-recommendation.

There is no reason to play Uncharted 1, just play 2, it is a better game in every conceivable way.

That post is bad and you should feel bad. Just because a roasted chicken breast is not a rare sirloin steak does not mean that is it terrible.

Uncharted 2 is certainly the better of the two, but the first one is still an amazing game. If anything it's strongly recommended that you play the first one before you play Uncharted 2, but do play it.

I went into the first game almost completely blind about six months ago. As such the first wtf moment that happens pretty early on (beneath the big waterfall) was pretty great.

On a side note, if you have a keen eye and a boner for exploration (like I do) there are a ton of hidden treasures throughout the game that give you trophies as you collect certain amounts of them.

edit: Also, I would throw money at Naughty Dog if there was a new Jak and Daxter game. I am eagerly awaiting the likely inevitable HD Collection of the PS2 games.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The shooting is just so blah in Uncharted 1. Enemies take a million bullets to die unless hit with a headshot and the shooting sections just play out too long because of this.

Uncharted 2 adjusts things so the action is just more fun. Hell it does this for the platforming too.

I'm not saying Uncharted 1 is horrible, it's just that it doesn't hold up well its sequel at all. If your a completist, go out and get 1. But even it might be better just to dive right into 2 and go back to 1.

If you only want the cream of crop on the PS3, just skip 1 and get 2.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    No no no, do not dive into two and then go back to one. One is fantastic, but two is so much better that you won't want to play one after you've played two.

If you haven't played two, than it won't matter if one doesn't hold up as well to two, because you won't have any frame of reference. You'll get a great game in one, and then an even greater game in two. If you play two and then go back to one you'll get a great game in two, and then a less great game in one.

It's all about sequel experience management.

Plus if you play one first you'll know who that blonde chick who shows up in two is.
    one two one two one two

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They're two different games, god. Play Uncharted 1 if you want a more realised environment, more Sully/Elena and AI that will brutally fuck you up. Play Uncharted 2 if a crazy rollercoaster of awesome, Claudia Black and a bit of an easier experience.

Both are in my top five of this generation.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just skip Uncharted 1. You're not missing much.

Arteen on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PSN-Video-Editor.jpg

Ok. The PS3 video editor / uploader. Has anyone used this thing? I guess it came along with a firmware update at some point in the past year.

It is a perfectly realized vision of utter, useless, insulting garbage.

I recorded some video in Joe Danger. I thought, hey, I'll try trimming and uploading it with that editor thing in the XMB! So I launched it. It did its express-install thing. And then I went to import my Joe Danger video...

But I couldn't. Why? Because it is apparently copyrighted! And there's a copyright flag to prove it! All of the videos of Joe cavorting about his dangerous stunt tracks that I'd recorded were ghosted out. In fact, so were all the videos on my hard drive! Noby Noby boy recordings, copied-over files, everything!

So apparently the video editor / uploader is a perfect way to edit and upload video, as long as the video doesn't actually exist, because if it exists, it is probably under copyright and thus cannot be imported.

So, yeah. The PS3 video editor / uploader is essentially a punch in the face, only a little more sneaky, like an offer of a free sandwich with spicy mustard that is actually just a punch in the face. Some day, I'd love to meet the party responsible for the video editor / uploader and offer them a free sandwich with spicy mustard.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, it's for editing your own shit, not stuff you created in a game. I believe it works fine with stuff from EyeCreate.

EDIT: Yeah, Uncharted 1 is great, get it. But when you play Uncharted 2 you'll probably never touch 1 again. It's the Mass Effect... effect.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »
    2) What's the best way for me to get my PS3 to talk to my Logitech Harmony? I know that there's an official adapter, but I also remember some people talking about being able to find a cheaper IR adapter somewhere from a third-party remote.
    This adapter is small, unobtrusive, and has worked great for me.

Thanks for the recommendation on this—I'm in the process of trying to set it up and I'm not quite sure how to, though. I'm futzing around with my Harmony setting and I'm not sure if I'm setting it up properly; any tips?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tell your Harmony that it's a PS2, and that'll get almost every button programmed properly. On my Harmony I had to manually tell it to make the main button act as the X button, but other than that I just kept things as-is.

The remote won't be able to turn on the PS3, and if you want it to turn it off you'll have to program a macro to input the series of commands that you would do using a game controller.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got a PS3 for Christmas along with Uncharted 2. I seriously loved that game. Despite the Steam sales, Steam backlog and my (now overcomed) 4th WoW addiction, I played the crap outta that game. So much so, I went out and go U:DF right after beating 2.

While the first is an above average game, if you play 2 first, chances are you'll get a little frustrated with DF. Namely the dancing, ENDLESS stream of bullet-eating enemies. I can't tell you enough how, even on normal, these guys took SO..... MANY..... SHOTS..... to kill. If you didn't run around gathering ammo after every fire fight, you wouldn't have enough to survive the next encounter. While it might sound "nice and challenging", guys were taking upwards to 10 bullets with an AK or 4 with a shotgun. Which to me screams artificially created difficulty boosting. Which I hate.

While I wouldn't recommend skipping Drakes Fortune altogether, I would say play it before 2. Otherwise the whole time you're playing 1 you'll be thinking about 2... and Chloe's ass.

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's been a while since I played it, by I remember thinking 2's enemies were tougher. I leafed very quickly to go for headshots in 1, though.

Willeth on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Willeth wrote: »
    It's been a while since I played it, by I remember thinking 2's enemies were tougher. I leafed very quickly to go for headshots in 1, though.

Part of it was perception. There are enemies that take more hits in Uncharted 2, but they're drowning in layers of kevlar. Compare this with Uncharted 1, where all the enemies took a while to kill, but most had on little more than a tank top :P

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yep. I liked the miniboss enemies in 2. A dude shows up with a shotgun and body armor, and just starts slowly. Walking. Forward. Shoot him. Shoot him in the head now or just run.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Demon Souls isn't difficult as a flaw. It's a simulator. This is what would happen if magic was real and you really strapped on some armor and got thrown into a kingdom overrun with shit bigger and badder than you could ever be.
    the difficulty is part of the package. Without it you wouldn't be anywhere near as immersed by whats around the next corner.
    don't be afraid of it because everyone calls it difficult.
    Embrace it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I dunno about simulator. I think of difficulty as having two ways of turning. You can be hard, or you can be bullshit. Demon's Souls is hard while staying fair. If you die it's on you.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Don't take that "simulator" comment literally please. It is not a simulator in the literal sense.
    I mean from an immersion sense.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I understood.

• Options
    KizKiz Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Have any of you guys used the SplitFish FragFX (or any of its siblings)? I just got one coz it was cheap to import over the Christmas period and tried it out with some of the Killzone 2 single player. It just feels really bad - I think largely because of the whole controller delay thing that KZ2 has going. Just wanting to see if anybody else has any experience with this to see if I'm doing something wrong.

Kiz on
    PSN: Kiz-ziK | Gamertag: KizziK | Steam: Kizzik
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Killzone doesn't have controller delay, the weapons just have a real world weight to them. You can't swing a fifteen pound weapon around like it was a Nerf gun in real life.

If you've updated the game there is a setting in the controls options for a "high precision" mode, which brings the movement back in line with other FPS games though.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    KizKiz Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh cool, I'll try that out. Just for the record I loved how Killzone controlled with the controller, but it just hasn't translated well to the FragFX from what I've played so far. Hopefully that setting will help sort me out.

Kiz on
    PSN: Kiz-ziK | Gamertag: KizziK | Steam: Kizzik
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, both Uncharteds get stupidly hard at the end, and not in a good way.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Whats a good deal for a PS3?

I now have Blu Rays, and no Blu Ray player - and no real NEED for a PS3, but I figure if I'm going to get a BR player ANYWAYS, why not.

I've seen a few locally on Craigslist - a 60GB and an 80GB both for $150. Is that a great deal, or kind average?

I'm in no rush, so I don't mind holding out if there's a chance in the next couple months things may get even cheaper.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay, I have some PSN questions.

It's kinda annoying...but im a litle bit afraid of buying some stuff on the PSN store. Demos and obvious games i can buy safely but what confuses me are the PSP and the mini's and such. They seem to be puchasable and PLAYABLE on the PS3 (And i assume downloadable to the PSP Go) but i dont have a PSP go, and i was wondering if any game available for the PSP Go / PSP could be played on the PS3? For instance, that sequel to 'what did i do to deserve this my lord' or Valk Chronicals 2 or Prinny. I dont want to buy something i cant play and i feel its not very specific about what happens if i download something that looks interesting.

Thanks for the help.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Whats a good deal for a PS3?

I now have Blu Rays, and no Blu Ray player - and no real NEED for a PS3, but I figure if I'm going to get a BR player ANYWAYS, why not.

I've seen a few locally on Craigslist - a 60GB and an 80GB both for $150. Is that a great deal, or kind average?

I'm in no rush, so I don't mind holding out if there's a chance in the next couple months things may get even cheaper.

the standard rate right now for a PS3 is 300 bucks...sometimes you get a pack in sometimes not, depends on if your buying a bundle and there is a sale on. So pretty much set 300 with a pack in as a decent deal. I've seen slightly lower prices and 2 pack in deals but they usually are games you arent neccesarily interested in. I use my PS3 as my blu ray player but only for blue rays. (Dont waste the life of the Drive by playing normal DVD's on it, just games and Blue Rays).

150 for a 60 gig is actually probably a pretty good deal as that one sounds like it might be the old fattie model with the best backwards compatibility (If that matters to you). I have an 80 gig fattie and its still chugging along after purchasing it less then a year after release i think.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If it's listed as a PSP game it can't be played on the PS3. Minis and PS1 Classics are the only things I can think of that are playable on both (I've got Angry Birds on both my PS3 and PSP and I only bought it one time), and they have their own section in the story. What Did I Do To Deserve This? 2, VC2, and Prinny are all PSP-only.

If you download a PSP game to your PS3, it will show up in your games menu, but you won't be able to install it - it's there so you can transfer it to your PSP via USB or wireless.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    azith28 wrote: »
    Okay, I have some PSN questions.

It's kinda annoying...but im a litle bit afraid of buying some stuff on the PSN store. Demos and obvious games i can buy safely but what confuses me are the PSP and the mini's and such. They seem to be puchasable and PLAYABLE on the PS3 (And i assume downloadable to the PSP Go) but i dont have a PSP go, and i was wondering if any game available for the PSP Go / PSP could be played on the PS3? For instance, that sequel to 'what did i do to deserve this my lord' or Valk Chronicals 2 or Prinny. I dont want to buy something i cant play and i feel its not very specific about what happens if i download something that looks interesting.

Thanks for the help.
    AFAIK PSP games can be downloaded to the PS3 but are not directly playable. Remote play may be possible (I've never tried) but as you still need a PSP for this it doesn't help you. Most minis are playable on the PS3 but not all; just pay close attention to the product description.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, hey, I got a PS3 last Thursday from Best Buy and I find THIS on my Twitter feed.

Is there anything I can do to go back and get this deal? Like, if I show them my receipt from last week, can they honor it if they want to?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »
    So, hey, I got a PS3 last Thursday from Best Buy and I find THIS on my Twitter feed.

Is there anything I can do to go back and get this deal? Like, if I show them my receipt from last week, can they honor it if they want to?

Have you opened it yet? Is it resellable? I don't really see a reason why you couldn't get a refund with your receipt and then do a 360 degree turn in place and buy it back on the deal.

Willeth on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Willeth wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »

Have you opened it yet? Is it resellable? I don't really see a reason why you couldn't get a refund with your receipt and then do a 360 degree turn in place and buy it back on the deal.

I was going to just bring the receipt of my 160gb PS3 and see if they could honor it. My friend works there and said they would, but I didn't ask if I am supposed to bring the receipt, console, or same credit card used for the transaction. To be honest, it just feels like a hassle right now. Haha.

I am tempted by the buy two $30+ games, get one free deal they have going. I could go for some ModNation Racers, Heavy Rain, and Uncharted (or something like that). I have about $120 in Best Buy bucks, so I would get three free games. Heh.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85