Options

Cooker? I barely know her! [Cooking Thread]

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh, I can see people using some bits of bacon or pancetta I suppose, still, even if a recipe involved those it would be no biggy to not include them.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Best tried and true scalloped potato recipe: GO! (Minus any that use meat as an integral component, please. :) )

My dad's got a dynamite recipe that pretty much dominates every family holiday dinner. It involves Cheese Wiz, a can of sliced jalapenos and a jar of Mrs Renfro's Green Salsa. Sadly, I don't have the recipe on me currently...

Speaking of Mrs Renfros Salsa, I saw that they had put a Ghost Pepper Salsa on the market recently and I was deeply considering trying it. Has anyone sampled it?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tef wrote: »
    i made some red snapper

it was good

tad pricey though

how did you prepare it? I'm a big fan of whole snapper wrapped in aluminium foil with some lime, ginger, coriander and parsley chuckled onto a BBQ hotplate. man, it's so good.

Just out of interest, how much do you pay for snapper in NY?

i put olive oil, garlic, oregano, lemon, mixed up, put the snapper in it, put snapper on pan, put cut up slices of tomato on it, put more oregano on top and baked it

basically i used the first recipe i found on google

came out well

how much do i pay? well, i was at whole foods, so $$$$, aka like 22/lb
    and i had like half a lb

damn pricey

also, yesterday i made baked yam fries! not really fries...

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Salsa made from Bhut Jolokia? I'd be careful with that, if they've actually used the real peppers for it.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Salsa made from Bhut Jolokia? I'd be careful with that, if they've actually used the real peppers for it.

I looked at the ingredients list. The Ghost Pepper is like the fifth ingredient, below jalapenos and vinegar.

Also it's sold in a grocery store in the non-import/Pace picante section, so I doubt that it's elephant-strength capsicum.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I made some lamb rump in a tapenade the other day, it worked out pretty well. I'm not a fan of anchovies at all, but they really add a much needed kick to my tapenade.

@shazkar, man no kidding about snapper prices. I usually pay about $15/lb or thereabouts, is your snapper locally caught?

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    huzzah. cornish game hens tonight.

dad's 'cooking' so fairly uninspiring side dishes, just rice mixed with garlic powder, onion powder, cream of mushroom soup. The Hens are seasoned with, garlic, onion, pepper, flour, paprika.

i can't wait until i can start experimenting with spices and herbs and things again.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Slider wrote: »
    Help me cook frozen chicken breasts. Basically, I want to throw a bag of these in the oven and cook them all at once. I don't know what I should put on them for flavor and I don't know how long they need to cook.

here is what is easy and good

when you are defrosting the chicken breasts, mix a brine. that's 1 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tbsp salt with 1 cup of water. you can add peppercorns or a bay leaf or something if you like.

put the frozen breasts in a ziploc baggie with the brine. leave it in the fridge overnight.

take the breasts out of the bag, rinse them and pat them dry, then cook them.

i recommend dredging them in flour seasoned with salt and pepper and sauteeing them in a mixture of 1/2 butter and 1/2 olive oil.

you can make a big batch without much trouble and rewarm them whenever you want

if you don't brine the breasts first they will be dry and tasteless and even worse when reheated.

what if you're brining something that is already defrosted?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As long as its refrigerated, you don't need to change anything. If you're doing it outside the fridge, just use lots of ice.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2011
    Slider wrote: »
    Help me cook frozen chicken breasts. Basically, I want to throw a bag of these in the oven and cook them all at once. I don't know what I should put on them for flavor and I don't know how long they need to cook.

here is what is easy and good

when you are defrosting the chicken breasts, mix a brine. that's 1 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tbsp salt with 1 cup of water. you can add peppercorns or a bay leaf or something if you like.

put the frozen breasts in a ziploc baggie with the brine. leave it in the fridge overnight.

take the breasts out of the bag, rinse them and pat them dry, then cook them.

i recommend dredging them in flour seasoned with salt and pepper and sauteeing them in a mixture of 1/2 butter and 1/2 olive oil.

you can make a big batch without much trouble and rewarm them whenever you want

if you don't brine the breasts first they will be dry and tasteless and even worse when reheated.

what if you're brining something that is already defrosted?

do the same thing. just put them in the brine overnight.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2011
    so i have a 5 pound pork loin

what do i do with it dudes?

i am kind of thinking of figuring out a way to brine it, then rubbing it with like a chipotle sauce and roasting it

but maybe you guys have a better idea

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I know its been a while since I posted in this thread but cooked something new today. Was pretty easy but was also delicious. Nice meal especially since you get to drink the sake afterwards.

1 1/2 cups of dashi but I used chicken base. I actually used one full can because I had like 1/4 of a cup left anyways.
    5 table spoons soy
    3 table spoons mirin
    1 1/2 tbs or so of sugar
    1 tbs of sake
    1 lb of thinly chopped beef
    3 medium shitake mushrooms
    1 medium onion or half a large onion
    Veggies of choosing, I did asparagus tonight

Cooking is easy. Simmer sauce and get it all mixed together. Add veggies and simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes. Add meat and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes or till all cooked. I added cornstarch to thicken it a bit but you might half to.

Put on rice.

Really really easy.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I tried to cook muffins for the first time about a week ago, and it was surprisingly easy. I experimented with another batch today, and it looks like the recipe I used is great for cooking a basic muffin to which I can add anything I want. The recipe is for banana, honey, and cinnamon muffins, but I can put blueberries or whatever in there. With that in mind, what do you recommend putting in muffins? Just stuff that I can chuck into the mix at the final stage, like fruit or spices.

Also, how good is garam masala? I'm pretty lazy, so I often run out of ingredients, but I've found that if I just replace missing ingredients with garam masala I end up with something tasty. Last night I only had pasta, onions, and tomato, but a liberal dose of garam masala made it actually really tasty.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    hey guys, I'm planning on making some chili for my superbowl party next sunday, any suggestions on what I should add to my crock pot other than this and this?

histronic on
    WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    histronic wrote: »
    hey guys, I'm planning on making some chili for my superbowl party next sunday, any suggestions on what I should add to my crock pot other than this and this?

gross

um

make it from scratch?

Fartacus on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

i am kind of thinking of figuring out a way to brine it, then rubbing it with like a chipotle sauce and roasting it

Slathering it with oil, sprinkling with sea salt/rosemary/sage and roasting never fails.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

The funny thing about the no-bean chili is that the bean substitute is made from soy.

Which is also a bean.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Decius wrote: »
    So I was on 4chan in /ck/ (I know, I know) and was looking at some of those visual recipes for a good :lol:. I then ran into this one.

1293939029038.th.jpg

This actually looks like it might be good. What say you, cooking thread?

So I made this tonight. So very good. I recommend it. Maybe needs a little more chicken.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    nothing wrong with chicken tikka masala

i'd brown the chicken first but whatever

also, if you finish with more greek yogurt rather than half and half it's a little healthier and ends up tasting pretty much the same.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Slathering it with oil, sprinkling with sea salt/rosemary/sage and roasting never fails.

yeah i am probably gonna end up brining it with bay leaves, rubbing it with black pepper and sage and salt and roasting it.

i considered rubbing it with some mole that i made a little while ago, but it's a lot of meat for two people and i want it to be flexible enough to work in sandwiches.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    honestly I just hate cooking meat at this point

from my hands cracking and peeling from the repeated hand-washing at scalding temperatures to the obsessive cleaning of surfaces to the inevitable anxiety about foodborne illness it just doesn't seem worth it

granted I'm someone who generally refuses to eat spinach raw for fear of foodborne disease, but sometimes it's easier to just work with your crazy rather than fight it

but goddamnit it's hard to find meal recipes that are vegetarian and not some fucking health-nut vegan crapfest

like filtering cooking websites and apps and such for vegetarian food, you get 95% salads, appetizers, sides, and sauces, and 5% real meals. And most of those meals are designed for the worst kind of health-freak yuppie.

Like the concept of a vegetarian recipe with butter or something is apparently not something anyone thinks about

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I followed your brine recipe Will, I really liked how the chicken turned out. Crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside :^: I didn't even season it, just used 1tbsp sugar and 1/2tbsp salt. Not sure what to throw in there next, but I have some chicken breasts.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »

from my hands cracking and peeling from the repeated hand-washing at scalding temperatures to the obsessive cleaning of surfaces to the inevitable anxiety about foodborne illness it just doesn't seem worth it

granted I'm someone who generally refuses to eat spinach raw for fear of foodborne disease, but sometimes it's easier to just work with your crazy rather than fight it

but goddamnit it's hard to find meal recipes that are vegetarian and not some fucking health-nut vegan crapfest

like filtering cooking websites and apps and such for vegetarian food, you get 95% salads, appetizers, sides, and sauces, and 5% real meals. And most of those meals are designed for the worst kind of health-freak yuppie.

Like the concept of a vegetarian recipe with butter or something is apparently not something anyone thinks about

Look in this thread, there are veg recipes

Eggplant parmesean is a fav of mine

Or you can make things like mac n cheese which is filling and doesn't need meat

So It Goes on
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So It Goes wrote: »

Look in this thread, there are veg recipes

Eggplant parmesean is a fav of mine

Or you can make things like mac n cheese which is filling and doesn't need meat

And, to be honest, most vegetarians I know tend to eat lots of smaller meals. Almost like doing small plates or appetizers in the day.

But you can easily sub something like mushroom, tofu, or eggplant in lots of dishes if you don't want the hassle of meat.

I dunno, I do it all the time; I guess it just takes a bit of adjustment to realize it's not as complicated as it seems.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

And, to be honest, most vegetarians I know tend to eat lots of smaller meals. Almost like doing small plates or appetizers in the day.

But you can easily sub something like mushroom, tofu, or eggplant in lots of dishes if you don't want the hassle of meat.

I dunno, I do it all the time; I guess it just takes a bit of adjustment to realize it's not as complicated as it seems.

yeah that's true

i mean eggplant parm and mac and cheese are def staples of mine

italian in general is a great resource for veg meals that feel like real meals

but i should start just subbing stuff out more often also

portobellos alone can replace so many different meats in recipes

Fartacus on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Maybe you should try some steak tartare, to remind yourself that raw meat isn't poisonous?

More helpfully, lentils are your friend. If you have any favourite veggie casseroles or stews or whatever, just pack them full of lentils (and extra water, because the lentils soak up a lot as they cook), I use around 500g of French Green lentils in around 4L of casserole, but I guess if there were no meat in there I'd up that a bit.

Also, I make something that is called a lentil salad but really isn't a salad. In a frying pan, caramelise a big ol' pile of onion, garlic, carrot, and celery, with cumin, paprika, and chillie. Add 500g lentils, a big splash of red wine, and enough water to just cover everything. Cook it until there's no water left, let it cool for a bit, then add tomato wedges and olives. It's extra-good with chorizo, which is already cooked so you don't need to worry about raw meat, just chop it and chuck it in with the lentils.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Mushrooms are one of my loves. Seriously.

Mushroom tacos, fajitas, enchiladas, open faced sandwiches, burgers, mushroom parmesan, toss them on salads, just grill up a nice fat mushroom steak, make soups, sub them into curries, mushroom masala, throw them in lasagna....

Mexican and asian food tend to be easily adapted as well.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There are as many varieties of vegetable curry as you can think of as well.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Try foreign recipes, like kasha varnishkes or West African peanut sout. There's also egg curry, with the recipe with the closest appearance to what I'm used to being this one.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I love salmon but know zero on how to cook it. Anyone can give me advice on:
    1. Choosing good salmon
    2. Cooking it
    3. Making my tummy happy

I always get those fillet salmons and while cooking it just falls apart.

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Horus wrote: »
    1. Choosing good salmon
    2. Cooking it
    3. Making my tummy happy

The easiest way I found of cooking salmon fillets is making little packets of foil with them in (ie not wrapping the foil close but making parcels with space) and then putting them in the oven for 10-30 minutes (depending on size). You can do them plain, or add various things (my favourite is a little olive oil, fresh dill and capers, and another way I like is putting some soy sauce and a good amount of pepper on them and then serving with a veg stir fry and some rice/noodles).

BobCesca on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Chickpeas are a very flexible ingredient. You can use them as the base in vegetarian curries, stews and burgers. They are also delicious.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's pretty much how I cook my salmon, Cesca.

sometimes i'll put in some sundried tomatoes, or asparagus into the packet as well.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Horus wrote: »
    1. Choosing good salmon
    2. Cooking it
    3. Making my tummy happy

If you buy fillets you will almost never get bad salmon.

Most times I just leave the fillets in the oven at 225°C for ~15 min. Squeeze lemon juice on them and salt and pepper before the oven. Eat with grilled veggies and a cold sauce, like lime and garlic in creme fraiche (maybe american sour cream would work as well, dunno).

In the oven you can either put them on a grating with a tray under to stop the juices to mess up your oven. Or you can put them on a bed of coarse salt rocks in a pan. That absorbs the juices as well and the salt can be discarded afterward, and if needed removed from the fish easily. Fish juice smells horrible if left in the oven.

Or, even better, if you have access to a real grill just slap them on there for a 5-6 mins on each side.

Salmon is finished when the meat stops looking semi-transparent like raw fish. If it falls apart you are cooking it way too long.

Movitz on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Two other cold sauces with creme fraiche as the base are:

1. Lemon juice, salt, pepper, random Italian herbs (oregano, thyme, basil etc)
    2. Pepper, salt, smoked caviar (the cheap stuff, I normally buy cod). This one is really good with grilled salmon fillets on hot days.

Movitz on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Smoked salmon is great with double cream, lemon and dill served with tagliatelle. The advantages being that it is trivial to make, and that as you're cooking it and combining it with things, you can get away with a quality incremental less than you'd usually go for (although you should make sure that the packaging or fishmonger at least makes some cursory claims about it being responsibly fished).

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

OK well you know you're being OCD about hygiene so no point going over that. Honestly, if your meat is so untrustworthy that you have to clean at that level then you shouldn't be eating it anyway.

Last time I had to cook for a non vegan vegetarian I made a mushroom&spinach lasagne, and it turned out pretty well. In fact it was good enough that a confirmed carnivore like me was happy to eat it on its own merits.

The thing with mushrooms is they contain a lot of water. A lot. So if you're going to use them as a meat substitute, you'll end up using a large quantity. And for something like lasagne you'll need to replace the meat fat with some oil or the sauce wont taste right.

What I did was make the sauce with about 2lbs of ordinary chestnut mushrooms chopped pretty small (make a pile of mushrooms and hit that pile with a sharp knife until the activity is no longer amusing). Then cook the "mushroom mince" in olive oil and a good shake of salt until the volume has reduced by 1/4 or so. Then make your sauce pretty much as you normally would. Since you're not actually vegetarian, you can beef (ba-dum *tish*!) your sauce up a little with a stock cube. You could also mix a few black olives in if you didn't want tog o the stock cube route.

I also bought some big flatcaps (aka portabellos) sliced them into thick fingers and cooked them up in oil garlic. Then I put them on the top of the lasagne, along with some oil-preserved sun-dried tomatoes. I used the oil from the jar of sundrieds to make the lasagne sauce, as it had a really good aroma.

V1m on
  • Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

The funny thing about the no-bean chili is that the bean substitute is made from soy.

Which is also a bean.

I actually am mixing 2 cans of no-bean chili and 2 cans of with bean chili. I suppose I could just get a bunch of ground beef and a can of a beans and make it from scratch but does anyone have a good recipe for it or any suggestions on how to cook it?

histronic on
    WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What are some good things to do with hard boiled eggs? I got 4 I just made (ate 2).

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What are some good things to do with hard boiled eggs? I got 4 I just made (ate 2).

Egg salad? Or put them on top of salads. Mmmm...

radroadkill on
This discussion has been closed.