As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam Steam lol | We have some classy gents here in this thread.

• Options
    OchoOcho Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I own KB The Legend and Armored Princess and have only an interest in Crossworlds... which by itself is a buck and change more than the Platinum edition.

Steam math is crazy math. :D

Ocho on
    Steam ID : Ocho
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Maybe Warband but god damn does Mount & Blade ever suck me in when I get into it. Two weeks in 2009 October I got about 2 hours of sleep each night.

That is either a good thing or a bad thing, in a Civ one-more-turn kind of way. Sounds like a dangerous game. That is why I think/hope I will resist SimCity 4.

Any game that has territory conquering with interactive battles really really grabs me. M&B has you raise a massive army of horsemen and infantry. Then you conquer many villages and castles all the while being in the thick of battle slicing heads off.

Oh god oh god the urge!

That is...I mean...you guys are supposed to stop me from wanting to buy games. Damn it.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dirt 2! I'm so excited, bigisy got my all pumped up for it.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    I'm considering Section 8. The only things I've heard about it before (that I remember) is that you spawn in drop pods and you have some kind of lock on ability.

Its Tribes. Thats really all there is to say about it. I put a good amount of time into Section 8 back when it came out. It's very team-centric if you want to be good, and the bots aren't terrible either.

You can have fun with it, but at that price it may just be better to hold off until the new one comes out as its going to retail for like 15$ or something.

Unless the new one is going to be 2€ too, regardless of how much better it might be. Currently my mind is stuck between "it's only 2€" and "it'll just add to the pile of games I haven't played".

Peewi on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    Come on, guys, show some love for IL-2. It looks beautiful, and is (IIRC) highly regarded amongst the flight sim crowd.

Meh.

It's a good game, no doubt. But on any semi-realistic mode it actually requires a decent setup (with rudder pedals) to play, and turning it to a more arcade mode just makes it feel like a waste.

I bought that and a HOTAS for my dad a few year back. Could barely manage to take off w/o crashing. Bought him MS Combat Flight Sim so he could have a game he could actually play. Maybe I just missed the arcadey setup option on IL2

The people who play IL-2 with a lot of regularity, I think, are actual pilots. Like, I don't see how someone with a passing interest or hobby in airplanes can find any sort of enjoyment out of crashing repeatedly. Like, I cannot take off for the life of me, no matter how many online guides or tutorials I have tried, I end up hitting things, or barely taking off and asploding cuz the plane will suddenly fall to the ground from 30 feet in the air.

Yeah, I suck.

I'd really only recommend it if you're really, really wanting to put the effort forth to learn how to fly a WWII plane. And I do mean really.
    Online is kinda fun though, if you like dying a lot.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    Come on, guys, show some love for IL-2. It looks beautiful, and is (IIRC) highly regarded amongst the flight sim crowd.

Meh.

It's a good game, no doubt. But on any semi-realistic mode it actually requires a decent setup (with rudder pedals) to play, and turning it to a more arcade mode just makes it feel like a waste.

I bought that and a HOTAS for my dad a few year back. Could barely manage to take off w/o crashing. Bought him MS Combat Flight Sim so he could have a game he could actually play. Maybe I just missed the arcadey setup option on IL2

You can go into the Realism options (or some such) and basically adjust every aspect of the flight engine. By default, however, it's pretty damn realistic. Like "have to trim ailerons to adjust for propeller torque" realistic. Getting the fucking plane off the ground is, indeed, a challenge with this setup.

And flying it without proper rudder pedals is hopeless.

However, you can basically turn almost all that shit off, even (IIRC) to the point where it basically plays like an arcade shooter.

EDIT: Oh, and once you're actually in the air? In the default realism mode, nearly any combat maneuver, executed incorrectly, will swiftly cause you to stall, spin, or otherwise lose control... generally unrecoverably. Welcome to crashing! I got to the point where I could "kinda" play it, but without rudder pedals it still just wasn't possible.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thank God I owned a majority of the games on today's list.

That is, all of them except the DOOM Mega Pack. Bought'd. <3

Kami on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Iolo is a classy son of a gun.
    Thanks for the copy of Freedom Force.

Agreed. He did the same for me. Thoughts on FF vs. The Third Reich, anyone?

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

If you play Freedom Force and like it, FF vs The Third Reich is something you should definitely get. It's not quite as good as the original, but it is still pretty great.

Since you will like FF, just save yourself some time and buy it now.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Looks like just IL-2 for me today. I have the original on disc somewhere but had computer problems at the time so never actually played it. I don't even own a joystick at the moment either but for $5? I'm sure I'll get a joystick eventually. Oh, and I have no shame about turning down the realism, either. I'm fine with something only a little more difficult than the classic Aces of the Pacific or Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe games.

I was in love with Warband for a couple weeks but eventually I just got sick of the poor AI. Not so much the tactical AI, but rather the strategic/diplomatic AI. Presumably that's not as much of an issue if you play a lot of MP. I'll get it on Steam someday, but not today.

Anyway, I can't really think of anything I'm anticipating popping up on the sale at this point. I have a couple of things sitting in my wishlist waiting until the last day, but they're all under $5 already, so I can't really see any of them going on sale.

Though if they throw up some kind of Europa Universalis pack I'd probably get it.

cckerberos on
    cckerberos.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

If you play Freedom Force and like it, FF vs The Third Reich is something you should definitely get. It's not quite as good as the original, but it is still pretty great.

Since you will like FF, just save yourself some time and buy it now.

The WORST support group ever.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    fading's Mount and Blade Complete Contest!

I think I have 200 hours into the two M&B's combined and so should you.

Requirements:

1. Have you been around PA a bit?

2. Are you entirely new to M&B, or did you love the original and still need Warband?

3. Does one or more of these vidya pique your interest?

1:17 to 1:22?

Or perhaps 1:40 to 2:04 here?

Or is this more your style?

If you answered YES to all these questions, you need to win M&B! Or buy it if you lose.

Entries:
    A flipbook
    or comic
    or story
    in
    this
    format

You can use text, ascii art, MSPAINT, whatever you want.
    You can use as many or few nested tags as you want.
    Recommended themes are:

Mounts
    Blades
    Other

Contest ends no sooner than 2AM EST (about 12 hours from now) and may run into the morning tomorrow.

gl hf!

e~ALSO:
    PM me a link to your entry and give me your Steam email address or friend me.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm a bit surprised that people have an issue with Crysis' DRM when it seems like plenty of people in this thread picked up AC2 a few days ago. Now THAT is some horrific DRM. I guess you're not the same people.

Anyways, I'm not too sure how the SecuRom included with Warhead (and possibly with vanilla Crysis although despite what the store page says I don't think the game actually uses activations) is any different from that included with Steam versions of Batman:AA other than you have to go and download the deauthorization tool yourself.

What I'm trying to say is that if the only thing really holding you back is DRM concerns, then you probably don't need to worry so much.

By the way, I recommend Warhead over Crysis because it makes me feel like a bit more of a badass and doesn't require me to shoot space squids for the last few levels, although you can't really go wrong with either (and the first has a few levels that have to be played to be believed).

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If I wanted to give away another game for shits and lols rather than to give something I love, I would totally make a contest centered around re-imagining the box art for Section8 as if it were a game about urban housing.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey,anyone knows if i download the global agenda demo and end up buying it,i need to download it again or?

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I see Machinarium on sale for $2.99. I boot up my desktop, load Steam, see Machinarium on sale for $9.99.

Damnit.

guar on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I appear to have two guest passes for Killing Floor so if anyone wants one throw me a private message, unfortunately I only have two so its a first come first serve thing

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    burnbomb wrote: »
    I got Cricket Revolution and Pro Cycling Manager as gifts

2011 is going to be an interesting year...

I ACTUALLY had to go Google those to see if they were real games.

I really hope that Cricket Revolution is a cricket-themed take on Dance Dance Revolution.

Especially if it has a bonus mode where you thwack zombies with a cricket bat to the tune of New Order's Blue Monday.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    burnbomb wrote: »
    I got Cricket Revolution and Pro Cycling Manager as gifts

2011 is going to be an interesting year...

I ACTUALLY had to go Google those to see if they were real games.

I really hope that Cricket Revolution is a cricket-themed take on Dance Dance Revolution.

Especially if it has a bonus mode where you thwack zombies with a cricket bat to the tune of New Order's Blue Monday.

I would buy that

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dirt 2! I'm so excited, bigisy got my all pumped up for it.

:^: I just wish they'd put GRID up as a daily deal. Both are fantastic.

only IL sturmovik and doom pack are tempting, even then it's only a meh.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not much for me today. Briefly tempted by SimCity IV, but then I think about how I bought Civ IV last year and how I haven't touched that. Everyone seems to love Dirt 2, but I can't see myself enjoying a racing game these days.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dirt really tempts me after the ridiculously stellar recommendations it has received around here since the last sale.
    However I don't know man, I own Forza 3. Do I really need an arcade racer with that filling up so much of my plate?

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I bought the Doom pack first thing before even looking at the rest. I love Doom. On the other hand, my raging OCD feels compelled to now hate the Doom pack simply because doom 2 and 3 are nicely organized on the list, while the first one is 'The Ultimate Doom' thus seperating it from the pack and making me unhappy. :(

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If I wanted to give away another game for shits and lols rather than to give something I love, I would totally make a contest centered around re-imagining the box art for Section8 as if it were a game about urban housing.

My contest would involve photoshops of Corporal Klinger.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Kings Bounty: AP demo felt kinda iffy. The health bar had two values and each unit was made of more units and I don't know what the fuck. And each battle went on forever.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Blurbl wrote: »
    The Kings Bounty: AP demo felt kinda iffy. The health bar had two values and each unit was made of more units and I don't know what the fuck. And each battle went on forever.

That's why I didn't purchase during Thanksgiving... I just didn't know what to do/where to go.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Mount and Blade complete pack kind of pisses me off. The original and warband are basically the same game, warband just being a really big update. At this point they should really just be selling warband, not trying to make it off like you are getting two games with this package.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Can I get an invite to the PA group, username: emoisms

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    As has been pointed out, you need vanilla M&B for certain really popular mods, so if they only sold Warband I'd be kind of sad.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The Mount and Blade complete pack kind of pisses me off. The original and warband are basically the same game, warband just being a really big update. At this point they should really just be selling warband, not trying to make it off like you are getting two games with this package.

This is true, but at the same time ten bucks for Warband alone is very worth it. Hell, ten bucks for the original is worth it if you don't have WB.

Also~ win this games.
    fading's Mount and Blade Complete Contest!

I think I have 200 hours into the two M&B's combined and so should you.

Requirements:

1. Have you been around PA a bit?

2. Are you entirely new to M&B, or did you love the original and still need Warband?

3. Does one or more of these vidya pique your interest?

1:17 to 1:22?

Or perhaps 1:40 to 2:04 here?

Or is this more your style?

If you answered YES to all these questions, you need to win M&B! Or buy it if you lose.

Entries:
    A flipbook
    or comic
    or story
    in
    this
    format

You can use text, ascii art, MSPAINT, whatever you want.
    You can use as many or few nested tags as you want.
    Recommended themes are:

Mounts
    Blades
    Other

Contest ends no sooner than 2AM EST (about 12 hours from now) and may run into the morning tomorrow.

gl hf!

e~ALSO:
    PM me a link to your entry and give me your Steam email address or friend me.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If I have the cash left I'll be doing one for the fright pack, or maybe Amnesia if it drops to $5

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    As has been pointed out, you need vanilla M&B for certain really popular mods, so if they only sold Warband I'd be kind of sad.

PoP has been ported to WB as of this past few weeks. I'm sure there are others this is still true for, though.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, I've never played Mount and Blade but this Warband game sounds awesome. I love huge online multiplayer battles with swords and the like - is it worth the $7.49?

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, I've never played Mount and Blade but this Warband game sounds awesome. I love huge online multiplayer battles with swords and the like - is it worth the $7.49?

Is air worth breathing?

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

YES!!!

BathTubb on
    Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    If I have the cash left I'll be doing one for the fright pack, or maybe Amnesia if it drops to $5

Just shell out the $10 for Amnesia. It's for a good cause. The devs are on the verge of bankruptcy. I don't know if they get more or less money if something is on crazysale (does Valve take the hit, or the devs, or both?)

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Goddamnit Steam. Gotta wait til I'm out of monies to finally put the Crysis pack on sale, huh?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NovafoxNovafox Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Steam! Please release your grip on my wallet. :( Picked up Crysis Maximum Edition and Section 8 today. Crysis because I've always wanted to play it (and I'm a little excited to see if it eats my PC for lunch or not), and Section 8 because it looks fun.

Novafox on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Crysis:Warhead. Yay/Nay?

I liked Crysis if that matters. Not OMFG liked, but I thought it was a decent enough shooter that liked raping my video card.

Astale on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So, total damage today... Doom pack, Dirt 2 and Global agenda.

Skipped on IL-2 because I'd feel cheated without a proper flight stick setup, and skipped on Crysis because Living legends looks to be MP only right now and they've been working on it quite possibly forever, so I doubt it'll see any meaty single player content any day soon.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png