As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Misanthropy vs. Idealism - are most people inherently good or bad?

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, lately I've been having a lot of difficulty with the human race as a whole. I'm well aware that humans can be altruistic. I even experience that streak of goodness on a daily basis (my boss is paying for my college education. All of it, with nothing asked for in return except that he be invited to my graduation party). As I get older, though, I feel like I'm starting to get way more jaded with people. See, I personally feel like there's very rarely any reason to start shit. Why in the fuck would I want more drama in my life? And here's where things get tricky. I can probably count on one hand the number of people in my life who subscribe to this "not starting shit for no reason" philosophy. We're talking petty, unreasonable and stupid shit that people blow way out of proportion and consider friendship-breaking or use to lower their opinion of myself or others. Nobody seems to have any issues making crap way more important than it has to be.

Even when shit gets started, I try to find it in myself to be conciliatory. Maybe there is something to it after all, right? I mean, people can't change the way they feel. But I usually find myself giving ground over and over until I feel like I make ridiculous concessions for people (that I have no choice but to interact with; like at work, for instance) and they are usually not reciprocated to me.

I'm 28 years old. I'll be 29 next month. I feel the streak of idealism and that I had as a kid/young adult rapidly fading. In fact, it's worse than that. I'm starting to feel hatred for people in general. I mean, I didn't expect to be a starry-eyed JRPG hero or anything, but it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to trust people or let them get close to me, even people I have known since childhood. Is this just a part of reaching your 30s? If so, why? How abnormal is it to be distrustful of the human race? Is it even an important thing to retain that idealism and generally trust people?

joshofalltrades on

• Options
    Wanton DudeWanton Dude __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    It's called growing up. Next you'll realize that young idealists are actually petty jerk offs who think too much of themselves and their altruism and good deeds are only ego masturbation, and so were yours. You'll grow up a bit more, and become a lot more aware and informed about the world around you. You'll become a metric ton more conservative, and start seriously worrying about things like kids, bills, your 401k.

The plus side is, you're no longer a naive fool, and you have more money for nice toys.

Welcome to being an adult, it happens to the best of us ;)

Wanton Dude on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's a difference between being a conciliatory idealist and being a doormat. Be nice to people, expect them to be nice back. If they're assholes, or being unreasonable, call them on it. You deserve respect as much as they do, if you're not getting it, they don't deserve it.

I feel like this thread is on the cusp between D&D and H/A, and I'm not sure how much of this is a general question versus personal issues you've got.

edit:: You remind me of a friend who was always overly nice (read, a doormat) to girls, doing whatever they wanted, constantly buying them things, and then getting mad when they didn't want to go out with him, or do what he wanted them to. He had to learn to stand up for himself.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Like I said though, it's more than just a loss of the starry eyes. I'm really starting to dislike people as a whole. On just about every level, from personal to geopolitical (how can so many people actually approve of Palin, fucking seriously). I know it's possible to get to a ripe old age and still not be a crotchety misanthrope who hates the human race. It just doesn't seem to be a normal thing related to increasing in age.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I put this in D&D because I feel like there's more that can be discussed than just my personal situation. Is there something inherently wrong with generally distrusting people? Is it a natural side effect of our society? Why do so many people feel like they can just walk all over others? Etc.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Misanthropy is just wanking with the other hand.

Maintain calm, do good things because you'd like to do good things.

I hate that "I make concessions and I get nothing" complaint. No shit. No one asked to owe you anything. Do things because you'd like to help, or stop doing things you don't like to do. Going out of your way for someone and then getting pissed that they don't get you back is just silly. Either you cared, in which case the act was the reward, or you didn't in which case why should anyone want to pay you back?

"I helped that old lady across the street and the jerk didn't even bake me cookies!"

Also! Yeah you can help how you feel, where'd you get the idea you can't? I mean, it doesn't make people any more rational, but you can take a deep breath and not be angry, or psych yourself up, or cheer up, or whatever.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Those are some loaded questions. What do you mean 'generally distrusting'? I think I generally trust people, but I also don't leave my house and car unlocked all the time either. Do people really walk all over others, or do some people just lay down on the ground and look inviting?

You're covering a wide area here, and in a really vague and obviously biased way.

I'll say that things like politics, a lot of the issues come from not being able to see other people's perspective. If you're ever looking at a large group of people and saying that they're all idiots, then you need to change how you're looking at it, because they're obviously not all idiots.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'll say that things like politics, a lot of the issues come from not being able to see other people's perspective. If you're ever looking at a large group of people and saying that they're all idiots, then you need to change how you're looking at it, because they're obviously not all idiots.

This. X1000.

Also, a certain level of distrust of your average human being is a healthy thing to have... just so long as you can set it aside when appropriate.

Galahad on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2011
    Your complaints are a little too vague. Can you offer some examples of the "petty, unreasonable and stupid shit that people blow way out of proportion and consider friendship-breaking or use to lower their opinion of myself or others"? And what do you mean by "generally distrusting people"?

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Misanthropy is just wanking with the other hand.

Maintain calm, do good things because you'd like to do good things.

I hate that "I make concessions and I get nothing" complaint. No shit. No one asked to owe you anything. Do things because you'd like to help, or stop doing things you don't like to do. Going out of your way for someone and then getting pissed that they don't get you back is just silly. Either you cared, in which case the act was the reward, or you didn't in which case why should anyone want to pay you back?

"I helped that old lady across the street and the jerk didn't even bake me cookies!"

Also! Yeah you can help how you feel, where'd you get the idea you can't? I mean, it doesn't make people any more rational, but you can take a deep breath and not be angry, or psych yourself up, or cheer up, or whatever.

I'm not talking about people not baking me cookies. I'm talking about people starting shit, getting into arguments with me for little to no fucking reason, and when I am nice in response, getting, "Well yeah you're going to be conciliatory to me" in response. I mean, I'm not saying I've never defended myself. This typically gets me labeled as "defensive" and I get nowhere regardless.

I wouldn't call passively not going out of my way to be a douche to people the same thing as actively doing nice things for people. Basically, I guess I just need to stop expecting people to not be twats on a daily basis.

Also, I've been told I'm basically the epitome of Avoidant. So, maybe I need to see someone about that. But I think my distaste for generally bastardly behavior is tangentially related; nobody likes assholes, even if they're not avoiders.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's called growing up. Next you'll realize that young idealists are actually petty jerk offs who think too much of themselves and their altruism and good deeds are only ego masturbation, and so were yours. You'll grow up a bit more, and become a lot more aware and informed about the world around you. You'll become a metric ton more conservative, and start seriously worrying about things like kids, bills, your 401k.

The plus side is, you're no longer a naive fool, and you have more money for nice toys.

Welcome to being an adult, it happens to the best of us ;)
    Most of this actually sounds like the antithesis to growth.

Lucid on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    If you have conversations with people and it leads to unpleasant behavior, stop having those conversations with those people.

If you do nice things for people and find they walk all over you as a result - as an example, I have friends whose kid we often watch while they go out on dates, yet they never seem willing to reciprocate - then stop doing nice things for that person. Don't be an asshole about it, just don't go out of your way to be helpful.

People are generally pretty decent. If you find yourself questioning this, maybe you should hang around different folks. Or maybe lower your standards.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Your complaints are a little too vague. Can you offer some examples of the "petty, unreasonable and stupid shit that people blow way out of proportion and consider friendship-breaking or use to lower their opinion of myself or others"? And what do you mean by "generally distrusting people"?

Okay. I didn't want to get into specifics because this is long drama story material. Also, this is just one of many recent examples.
    I'm the director of contemporary music at my church. We don't have somebody dedicated to mixing our sound. There's this guy who is part of the praise team and is just really picky about everything (he's crazy OCD). He is supposed to be playing the piano and singing, but because of his OCD he typically gets up in the middle of songs and starts adjusting the mix. And the thing is, he's really bad at it. It always sounds like mud when he messes with things.

So we have a big meeting where it's decided (not just by me, in fact I said nothing about this) that he should not be mixing anymore. This is put as delicately as possible by our pastor. Somehow he attributes all of this to me, however, and he stops coming. He is about as passive aggressive to me as is possible for a human to be. He starts sitting close to us and makes a point of never even looking in my direction. It sounds like I'm being paranoid or something, but this guy is making it really clear to me that he's pissed off at me.

So we start sounding better than ever now that he's not involved, and somebody who knows how to mix (me) is mixing us. So he starts showing up again. Then he gets pissed because I'm doing the mixing and he's not. The pastor tells me to let him mix because he's being a goose. He's my boss, I can't say no. So the guy starts mixing again. Then we start sounding like crap again.

Finally, to cap all this shit off, we get to the point. I get a 5-page long manifesto from this goose about how he doesn't feel like I care about how we sound. That as the leader, I should be more concerned about our mix. How he's taken it upon himself to take care of it but he doesn't feel like I'm handling things as best I could. Etc. etc. et motherfucking etc.

I respond carefully to this. I tell him that he asked to be in charge of the mix and that the last time I insinuated myself in front of the board, he quit the team. So it seems like I can't win?

And he sends an email to my pastor saying basically, "This guy isn't worth my time."

And my pastor accidentally carbon copies an email response to me basically saying, "You know how Josh is, he's defensive, just work through it".

Now I can't quit this job. I need the money. But now I have to be diplomatic with a total goose and a pastor who doesn't back me up.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My grandpa always said "think like an idealist, act like a pragmatist"

which is more or less "Hope for the best, plan for the worst"

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I lost a lot of trust and faith in people about 5 years ago now when my best friend died. I pulled away from everyone and everything and refused to let anybody get past that exterior wall. I shut down any and all emotional reactions to people who could have easily become lifelong friends. I cut out people who were friends at the time. I just stopped being social.

Over the last 3 years I've become even more of a reclusive hermit than before. Rarely leaving the house to do errands, and even then only when I had to. I've had a brand new car for 5 years, I just hit 30k miles on it. And that's with driving from maine to delaware to come home. There were a lot of reasons for being reclusive and a homebody. I was poor and didn't have the money to pay for gas, let alone get the car registered, inspected, and kept insured. So, I stayed home. And I've stayed this way for almost 3 full years now.

I still have a hard time trusting people and truly becoming 'best friends' with anybody that wasn't already in my life before this.

However.

I have gotten better. It is possible to get your idealism back, if you want it. You have to work for it a bit, but you can.

More thoughts later, after I get back from the gym.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Galahad wrote: »
    I'll say that things like politics, a lot of the issues come from not being able to see other people's perspective. If you're ever looking at a large group of people and saying that they're all idiots, then you need to change how you're looking at it, because they're obviously not all idiots.[COLOR]

This. X1000.

Also, a certain level of distrust of your average human being is a healthy thing to have... just so long as you can set it aside when appropriate.

I'm fine with calling most people, in the US, ignorant of politics. You can try and look at it from the perspective of someone else but often times that perspective is "I'm too busy with my kids/life to pay any attention to whats going on in the world and which politician best represents me and this country."

Remember, not all perspectives have the same amount of reasoning or thought behind them.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    DrukDruk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I've definitely been extremely successful at avoiding drama since I took up the "I hate people" mantra. There's a downside in that I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of what life has to offer, but that's the tradeoff I guess.

Druk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I think a large part of this is just a side effect of the area I live in. A lot of people here have sort of a cliquey small-townishness and if you don't possess that (I grew up in Dallas) then you're not allowed in the club. Which really sucks. Being an outsider in a little place will kind of let distrust fester like a tumor, I suppose.

I know I took a big risk of being the smelly internet asperger syndrome guy starting this thread. I still know people that I like off of the internet. I'm just sick of pettiness in general, and feel like the world could use less of it.

And obviously not everybody who likes Palin is a total moron in every respect.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We, as a species, tend to view most things that we, ourselves, do as a result of external factors. Things we see other people do, however, we assume to be a result of their internal state.

If you're in the parking lot at Wal*Mart and you cut someone off, it's because you thought you had the right-of-way or you'd waited for 5 cars to go by already or you're just in a hurry because you've got ice cream in the trunk. You didn't mean to be a jerk, and probably didn't even consider that you might be being a jerk; it was just time for someone to go and it was either you or them. On the other hand, if you're in the parking lot of Wal*Mart and someone else cuts you off, the natural assumption is "That guy is an asshole and/or doesn't know how to drive."

If you're at work and are busting your ass trying to get things done while you watch your co-workers chat on facebook, but you get in trouble for slacking off when you take an extra half hour at lunch because you lost track of time, you wonder why nobody notices or appreciates your hard work and why you're the only one who isn't a waste of air. Meanwhile your co-workers are thinking about how hard they work and how they're only on facebook because they worked their asses off yesterday or they had a late night and can't concentrate or 'Nobody appreciates me around here and that guy still isn't back from lunch, so fuck it I'm going to play Farmville'.

People don't think about why other people do things. They don't wonder - by and large - what causes events to happen or really think very far ahead about what their own actions might cause. If an action will net positive for someone over the near term and they can think of a way to justify whatever inconvenience it may cause others around them, that's usually good enough. I do it, you do it, we all do it. Most of the time the thought train leaves "I'm angry" station, passes through the "I'mma yell at that bitch" junction and never arrives at "She's going to yell back and that's going to make me angrier rather than solve anything" station.

If asked, most people will agree that they want to help their fellow man. They want to work together for the betterment of all and be altruistic and so forth. Day to day and action to action, almost no-one thinks of themselves as an asshole. They think of themselves as a generally good person. Sometimes things don't turn out the way they expect, but it's not their fault. It's the other person's expectations, or circumstances, or whatever.

None of this really points to a way to deal better with people's actions that you view as selfish. I haven't figured that out, beyond the turning of the cheek that eventually leads to doormat-town.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm really starting to dislike people as a whole. On just about every level, from personal to geopolitical

I turned 29 a few months ago and I can completely relate. Driving is the worst for me, it really brings out my vitriol for mankind. I just don't really like people as a whole, I've found. I remember feeling this way in Junior High, when most of my idealism was systematically destroyed.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    We, as a species, tend to view most things that we, ourselves, do as a result of external factors. Things we see other people do, however, we assume to be a result of their internal state.

If you're in the parking lot at Wal*Mart and you cut someone off, it's because you thought you had the right-of-way or you'd waited for 5 cars to go by already or you're just in a hurry because you've got ice cream in the trunk. You didn't mean to be a jerk, and probably didn't even consider that you might be being a jerk; it was just time for someone to go and it was either you or them. On the other hand, if you're in the parking lot of Wal*Mart and someone else cuts you off, the natural assumption is "That guy is an asshole and/or doesn't know how to drive."

If you're at work and are busting your ass trying to get things done while you watch your co-workers chat on facebook, but you get in trouble for slacking off when you take an extra half hour at lunch because you lost track of time, you wonder why nobody notices or appreciates your hard work and why you're the only one who isn't a waste of air. Meanwhile your co-workers are thinking about how hard they work and how they're only on facebook because they worked their asses off yesterday or they had a late night and can't concentrate or 'Nobody appreciates me around here and that guy still isn't back from lunch, so fuck it I'm going to play Farmville'.

People don't think about why other people do things. They don't wonder - by and large - what causes events to happen or really think very far ahead about what their own actions might cause. If an action will net positive for someone over the near term and they can think of a way to justify whatever inconvenience it may cause others around them, that's usually good enough. I do it, you do it, we all do it. Most of the time the thought train leaves "I'm angry" station, passes through the "I'mma yell at that bitch" junction and never arrives at "She's going to yell back and that's going to make me angrier rather than solve anything" station.

If asked, most people will agree that they want to help their fellow man. They want to work together for the betterment of all and be altruistic and so forth. Day to day and action to action, almost no-one thinks of themselves as an asshole. They think of themselves as a generally good person. Sometimes things don't turn out the way they expect, but it's not their fault. It's the other person's expectations, or circumstances, or whatever.

None of this really points to a way to deal better with people's actions that you view as selfish. I haven't figured that out, beyond the turning of the cheek that eventually leads to doormat-town.

This is exactly the sort of post I was hoping for. Thanks.

I know that there are people who just don't give a shit about anybody else except for themselves, and on reflection they probably are a minority. The problem for me arises because when my thought train leaves "I'm angry" station, it hits a fork and instead of going to "I'mma yell at that bitch" junction, it ends up at the "It's not worth my time to yell at someone, and I'll do them a favor by letting this slide" station. I may be an aberration there, maybe not. I should probably stop expecting that favor to be returned, it's becoming increasingly clear that's an unrealistic expectation that I have.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Those are some loaded questions. What do you mean 'generally distrusting'? I think I generally trust people, but I also don't leave my house and car unlocked all the time either. Do people really walk all over others, or do some people just lay down on the ground and look inviting?

You're covering a wide area here, and in a really vague and obviously biased way.

I agree with you in regards to politics and other largely opinion-based topics. Obviously some people have a personal reason for agreeing with any given pundit or policy or for disagreeing with any given other one.

That said, just because a group is large does not mean that they're not idiots.

Nearly 20% of American adults think that the sun revolves around the Earth. About the same number don't know what nation America declared its independence from. (http://www.gallup.com/poll/3742/new-poll-gauges-americans-general-knowledge-levels.aspx)
    Around a third of Americans believe in astrology. (http://horoscopicastrologyblog.com/2008/12/11/31-percent-of-americans-believe-in-astrology/)

That may not fit everyone's definition of 'idiot'. There's an argument to be made that finding out basic knowledge facts or applying even a modicum of critical thought to your superstitions isn't necessary in day to day life, so a person who can't be arsed to figure out which way around the solar system is set up or that being a capricorn doesn't really mean shit can still be a brilliant luminary. But I'm fairly comfortable calling them idiots.

Collecting a random population of a million people, sure, they're not going to be all idiots. Most of them won't be, since 'idiot' carries the implication of below average intelligence, competence, and/or knowledge and the level of such in a random population is, by definition, average. But if you're selecting for a certain belief (i.e. "The world will end in 2012", "The moon landing was faked", "Palin would be a spectacular president") and that belief is demonstrably false with even basic thought or research, the odds of the entire population being idiots skew upward dramatically.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Let's please not turn this into a political thread. A large number of people are capable of holding an objectively idiotic belief, but it doesn't make them an idiot in every respect. I'm fairly certain I hold some questionable beliefs myself.

lonelyahava, I'll be looking for your post.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I know that there are people who just don't give a shit about anybody else except for themselves, and on reflection they probably are a minority. The problem for me arises because when my thought train leaves "I'm angry" station, it hits a fork and instead of going to "I'mma yell at that bitch" junction, it ends up at the "It's not worth my time to yell at someone, and I'll do them a favor by letting this slide" station. I may be an aberration there, maybe not. I should probably stop expecting that favor to be returned, it's becoming increasingly clear that's an unrealistic expectation that I have.

It's really not worth it most of the time, though. I've been in several altercations with shitty drivers (the tendency where I live is for everyone to give everyone else the finger. It's how we say hello!) over being tailgated or almost collided with due to their poor driving.

You know what? People crazy enough to run a red light or drive down the shoulder of the highway or tailgate are generally not mentally balanced!

Now I just get in my zen zone and drive, because god damn my life is awesome and I don't want to lose everything over some jerk weaving in and out of traffic! I'm done with having people physically threaten me because I called them on running a stop sign and pulling into traffic without looking, or something equally dangerous to everyone around them.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm fine with calling most people, in the US, ignorant of politics. You can try and look at it from the perspective of someone else but often times that perspective is "I'm too busy with my kids/life to pay any attention to whats going on in the world and which politician best represents me and this country."

Remember, not all perspectives have the same amount of reasoning or thought behind them.
    Well, that's an important part of it. When someone expresses, for instance, a really stupid opinion about science, it's important to consider the context. Are they deeply invested in the science being accurate? Was their intention to provide the most factual information, or to express a loose opinion, or even simply an emotional reaction?

Knowing why someone is expressing an opinion is at least equally as important as knowing what opinion they've expressed.

For instance, when someone says "The moon landing was faked", they're actually saying "I do not trust our government to tell the truth most of the time, and I do not actually care that much about scientific research or progress. It seems distant and unimportant, while government malfeasance looms large."

Because obviously it wasn't. That or they're saying "I would love it if Buzz Aldrin punched me."

I think understanding that most beliefs aren't designed to hold up to scrutiny is an important step toward respecting people more, if not their opinions.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I do the same thing. In my case, at least, I recognize that this is largely a result of my fear of conflict. I don't like conflict so I strive to avoid it, often making me the proverbial doormat, and I can conveniently justify my behavior in many situations by the fact that getting in someone's face is really not going to do any good anyway. Most people don't have that fear of conflict, though, and enough critical portions of our society revolve around competition and aggression that it's not at all surprising that the average person reacts violently when provoked in day-to-day life. I like to hope that, eventually, people who react with passive-aggressive dramatic bullshit or violent rage whenever someone does them some half-imagined sleight will learn that their tactics aren't getting them to the places they want to be. Unfortunately it works often enough that most people don't bother finding out that there are more consistently productive ways to behave.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mental illness commonly begins presenting during the late 20s, which is a particularly insidious time to present because people assume that they're getting "jaded" or "growing up" during that period - developing a general sense of loathing of humanity is not healthy, nor is thinking that everyone else is stupid. The feelings your describing seem to allude to a general sense of paranoia.

I would urge you to speak to a professional at your earliest convenience, and to follow their advice.

Robman on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, that's an important part of it. When someone expresses, for instance, a really stupid opinion about science, it's important to consider the context. Are they deeply invested in the science being accurate? Was their intention to provide the most factual information, or to express a loose opinion, or even simply an emotional reaction?

Knowing why someone is expressing an opinion is at least equally as important as knowing what opinion they've expressed.

For instance, when someone says "The moon landing was faked", they're actually saying "I do not trust our government to tell the truth most of the time, and I do not actually care that much about scientific research or progress. It seems distant and unimportant, while government malfeasance looms large."

Because obviously it wasn't. That or they're saying "I would love it if Buzz Aldrin punched me."

I think understanding that most beliefs aren't designed to hold up to scrutiny is an important step toward respecting people more, if not their opinions.

I see your point but it is hard for me to wrap my head around why people act that way. I'm just so used to being around people who reason through their ideas. I think it is a Bad Thing™ that people do not reason through things and I believe we should work towards correcting that. Of course you have to be tactful while doing it, but I think that it is a better approach than letting illogical conspiracy theories slide.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Robman wrote: »
    Mental illness commonly begins presenting during the late 20s, which is a particularly insidious time to present because people assume that they're getting "jaded" or "growing up" during that period - developing a general sense of loathing of humanity is not healthy, nor is thinking that everyone else is stupid. The feelings your describing seem to allude to a general sense of paranoia.

I would urge you to speak to a professional at your earliest convenience, and to follow their advice.

I don't think everybody else is stupid. I never actually said that.

Generally disliking people lately is probably due to the overall feeling of pettiness I am getting locally. I don't think I've ever experienced it quite so acutely before. That said, I should definitely ask a professional if I have Avoidant Personality Disorder. Just looking over the symptoms, I seem to have quite a number of them. Even if it's not, I could probably benefit from talking to someone about this.

CptHamilton, I agree with everything you wrote. I think it's a side effect of the fight or flight that people get when they are stressed or angry, and I just happen to go into flight and expect people to do the same. The problem is that so many people around here get into that fight or flight state over the dumbest bullshit and then invariably choose fight.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I see your point but it is hard for me to wrap my head around why people act that way. I'm just so used to being around people who reason through their ideas. I think it is a Bad Thing™ that people do not reason through things and I believe we should work towards correcting that. Of course you have to be tactful while doing it, but I think that it is a better approach than letting illogical conspiracy theories slide.

Ah, but you don't. You, and your friends, have some opinions that are just wooooah totally incorrect.

You don't really remember what they are, or care, because they matter very little to you.

I mean like... how many people believe that glass is a slow liquid or that water runs down drains in the opposite direction in Australia?

Expressing those opinions is not meant to indicate that they've spent years researching drain-related physics, it's meant to express "Hello, I have read things in places."

You will never have the time or inclination to reason thoroughly about everything. It is possible to offload that responsibility to other trustworthy people, though. The test of being a sensible person, in my opinion, isn't in removing from yourself all unconsidered opinions. It's having the ability to endure the embarrassment of being hilariously incorrect and alter your opinion.

You don't need to let conspiracy theories slide. I would never encourage that. But you do need to realize that there's a difference between "I have spent 5 years exploring in detail Subject X, but because I am A Dumb I've come to a totally crazy conclusion" and "I could not give less of a shit about Subject X, but I would like to express how little I trust our government." Otherwise you can't convince anyone of anything because you're too busy patting yourself on the back for not being dumb.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Ah, but you don't. You, and your friends, have some opinions that are just wooooah totally incorrect.

You don't really remember what they are, or care, because they matter very little to you.

I mean like... how many people believe that glass is a slow liquid or that water runs down drains in the opposite direction in Australia?

Expressing those opinions is not meant to indicate that they've spent years researching drain-related physics, it's meant to express "Hello, I have read things in places."

You will never have the time or inclination to reason thoroughly about everything. It is possible to offload that responsibility to other trustworthy people, though. The test of being a sensible person, in my opinion, isn't in removing from yourself all unconsidered opinions. It's having the ability to endure the embarrassment of being hilariously incorrect and alter your opinion.

You don't need to let conspiracy theories slide. I would never encourage that. But you do need to realize that there's a difference between "I have spent 5 years exploring in detail Subject X, but because I am A Dumb I've come to a totally crazy conclusion" and "I could not give less of a shit about Subject X, but I would like to express how little I trust our government." Otherwise you can't convince anyone of anything because you're too busy patting yourself on the back for not being dumb.

While I agree with your sentiment here - that people tend to form bizarrely inaccurate beliefs about shit that doesn't matter to their daily lives (case in point, Big Bang Cosmology: it doesn't actually matter, day to day, for the vast majority of the populace, so why not say it's BS?) - I disagree that it's a reasonable state for people to be in on all scales.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." Or, if you prefer, Ockham's Razor.

If you don't have much of a scientific education or have never bothered to think about it then sure, "Water goes the other way down drains in Australia" gets a pass. It's a fairly banal claim and "I read it somewhere" is sufficient justification for most claims of similar scope.

"The moon landing was faked" or "The British monarchy are lizard-aliens" are not okay. They are extraordinary claims requiring vast collusion on the part of thousands of individuals over decades at tremendous expense. Whether you know thing one about the science, history, evidence, or investigations into your oddball belief or not, simple deductive reasoning in a vacuum should be sufficient to disabuse you of the notion. It would probably be harder to have faked the moon landing at this point than it would have been to actually just go to the moon. These kinds of beliefs aren't merely a case of minsinformation or misunderstanding and get a pass because they're exposing some core belief about the government or whatever. They are exposing a dedicated campaign of self-delusion which has allowed a belief which flies in the face of not only common sense but continued presentations of evidence to the contrary on a day-to-day basis, almost whether you care about the subject at all or not.

Now, if your particular bullshit is wide-spread, commonly-accepted bullshit then fine. You think astrology is the real deal, okie dokie, so do, apparently, 30% of everyone else around you. I get that. But if you have some whackadoo idea about Nature's 4-Sided Harmonic Time-Cube that you and three guys in Uganda all agree is The Way and The Truth but everyone else disregards as the horse-puckey that it is, then no, you don't get to fly under the moron radar just because your Time-Cube is a symbol of your disrespect for patent law reform.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Maybe I should not have picked conspiracy theories as an example.

My point wasn't to justify belief in any conspiracy theory, it was to say that stating "but you are factually inaccurate" has no weight against an argument that was never supposed to be a presentation of accurate facts. The reason you never convince a conspiracy theorist they're wrong isn't because you haven't constructed an air-tight enough case, it's because their reason for arguing is not to come to the most reasonable conclusion given the evidence. It is to say "I am smarter than the average person" or "I hate the current/all governments" or whatnot.

The same way when someone expresses amazement at all the weight they've gained recently, they're not honestly saying "Oh, wow, I cannot believe eating a ton and not exercising causes weight gain. Have you noticed this?"

Having a surface-level argument with people who aren't interested in it isn't usually all that useful.

I mean that dude who kept talking about the pyramids being built by ancient aliens and whatnot a while ago, do you think he really would have been convinced if only more of us had presented effective peer-reviewed evidence? He wasn't discussing possible explanations for ancient architecture, he was saying 'Hello, forum. I am smarter than you'.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hey guys, I can see where that's sort of tangentially related, insofar as when it's acceptable to start an argument. If you have to keep the back-and-forth, though, could you relate it more to the thread regarding petty people and the dislike thereof?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's not about when it is or is not acceptable to start an argument. It's about how to be less petty, by avoiding the sort of "everyone is dumb" silliness that allows you to pretend misanthropy is maturity. People generally aren't being dumb. They just don't care about what you care about.

Well, that and we're irrational. But irrational isn't dumb.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, I won't pretend that misanthropy is maturity. Nor do I think that everyone except for me is dumb, or that I'm especially more intelligent than anybody such that I need to lord it over them. I wouldn't call myself a misanthrope, it's just that I'm beginning to despise the petty nature of a lot of my fellow man. It has nothing to do with intelligence for me and everything to do with people feeling like they should start a fight over small things so they can feel like the alpha male/female/whatever.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Alchemist449Alchemist449 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't say that I have much to add to the discussion, except that the idea of becoming misanthropic, of giving up my idealism, is so deppressing an idea that I refuse to succumb to it. I don't want to go through life hating everyone, or being unhappy with humanity in general. I have to believe that we all can be better because the alternative is, to me, such an unsettling concept that I refuse to acknowledge it as a possibility. I have to believe that we can be better; or at the very least, that I can be.

Also, the David Foster Wallace speech to Kenyon College in 2005 seems relevant here.

Alchemist449 on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2011

Yeah, this puts me in mind of DFW's commencement speech at Kenyon College, that has circulated around the web for a few years now.

The relevant part:
    And I submit that this is what the real, no bullshit value of your liberal arts education is supposed to be about: how to keep from going through your comfortable, prosperous, respectable adult life dead, unconscious, a slave to your head and to your natural default setting of being uniquely, completely, imperially alone day in and day out. That may sound like hyperbole, or abstract nonsense. Let's get concrete. The plain fact is that you graduating seniors do not yet have any clue what "day in day out" really means. There happen to be whole, large parts of adult American life that nobody talks about in commencement speeches. One such part involves boredom, routine and petty frustration. The parents and older folks here will know all too well what I'm talking about.

By way of example, let's say it's an average adult day, and you get up in the morning, go to your challenging, white-collar, college-graduate job, and you work hard for eight or ten hours, and at the end of the day you're tired and somewhat stressed and all you want is to go home and have a good supper and maybe unwind for an hour, and then hit the sack early because, of course, you have to get up the next day and do it all again. But then you remember there's no food at home. You haven't had time to shop this week because of your challenging job, and so now after work you have to get in your car and drive to the supermarket. It's the end of the work day and the traffic is apt to be: very bad. So getting to the store takes way longer than it should, and when you finally get there, the supermarket is very crowded, because of course it's the time of day when all the other people with jobs also try to squeeze in some grocery shopping. And the store is hideously lit and infused with soul-killing muzak or corporate pop and it's pretty much the last place you want to be but you can't just get in and quickly out; you have to wander all over the huge, over-lit store's confusing aisles to find the stuff you want and you have to manoeuvre your junky cart through all these other tired, hurried people with carts (et cetera, et cetera, cutting stuff out because this is a long ceremony) and eventually you get all your supper supplies, except now it turns out there aren't enough check-out lanes open even though it's the end-of-the-day rush. So the checkout line is incredibly long, which is stupid and infuriating. But you can't take your frustration out on the frantic lady working the register, who is overworked at a job whose daily tedium and meaninglessness surpasses the imagination of any of us here at a prestigious college.

But anyway, you finally get to the checkout line's front, and you pay for your food, and you get told to "Have a nice day" in a voice that is the absolute voice of death. Then you have to take your creepy, flimsy, plastic bags of groceries in your cart with the one crazy wheel that pulls maddeningly to the left, all the way out through the crowded, bumpy, littery parking lot, and then you have to drive all the way home through slow, heavy, SUV-intensive, rush-hour traffic, et cetera et cetera.

Everyone here has done this, of course. But it hasn't yet been part of you graduates' actual life routine, day after week after month after year.

But it will be. And many more dreary, annoying, seemingly meaningless routines besides. But that is not the point. The point is that petty, frustrating crap like this is exactly where the work of choosing is gonna come in. Because the traffic jams and crowded aisles and long checkout lines give me time to think, and if I don't make a conscious decision about how to think and what to pay attention to, I'm gonna be pissed and miserable every time I have to shop. Because my natural default setting is the certainty that situations like this are really all about me. About MY hungriness and MY fatigue and MY desire to just get home, and it's going to seem for all the world like everybody else is just in my way. And who are all these people in my way? And look at how repulsive most of them are, and how stupid and cow-like and dead-eyed and nonhuman they seem in the checkout line, or at how annoying and rude it is that people are talking loudly on cell phones in the middle of the line. And look at how deeply and personally unfair this is.

Or, of course, if I'm in a more socially conscious liberal arts form of my default setting, I can spend time in the end-of-the-day traffic being disgusted about all the huge, stupid, lane-blocking SUV's and Hummers and V-12 pickup trucks, burning their wasteful, selfish, 40-gallon tanks of gas, and I can dwell on the fact that the patriotic or religious bumper-stickers always seem to be on the biggest, most disgustingly selfish vehicles, driven by the ugliest [responding here to loud applause] (this is an example of how NOT to think, though) most disgustingly selfish vehicles, driven by the ugliest, most inconsiderate and aggressive drivers. And I can think about how our children's children will despise us for wasting all the future's fuel, and probably screwing up the climate, and how spoiled and stupid and selfish and disgusting we all are, and how modern consumer society just sucks, and so forth and so on.

You get the idea.

If I choose to think this way in a store and on the freeway, fine. Lots of us do. Except thinking this way tends to be so easy and automatic that it doesn't have to be a choice. It is my natural default setting. It's the automatic way that I experience the boring, frustrating, crowded parts of adult life when I'm operating on the automatic, unconscious belief that I am the centre of the world, and that my immediate needs and feelings are what should determine the world's priorities.

The thing is that, of course, there are totally different ways to think about these kinds of situations. In this traffic, all these vehicles stopped and idling in my way, it's not impossible that some of these people in SUV's have been in horrible auto accidents in the past, and now find driving so terrifying that their therapist has all but ordered them to get a huge, heavy SUV so they can feel safe enough to drive. Or that the Hummer that just cut me off is maybe being driven by a father whose little child is hurt or sick in the seat next to him, and he's trying to get this kid to the hospital, and he's in a bigger, more legitimate hurry than I am: it is actually I who am in HIS way.

Or I can choose to force myself to consider the likelihood that everyone else in the supermarket's checkout line is just as bored and frustrated as I am, and that some of these people probably have harder, more tedious and painful lives than I do.

Again, please don't think that I'm giving you moral advice, or that I'm saying you are supposed to think this way, or that anyone expects you to just automatically do it. Because it's hard. It takes will and effort, and if you are like me, some days you won't be able to do it, or you just flat out won't want to.

But most days, if you're aware enough to give yourself a choice, you can choose to look differently at this fat, dead-eyed, over-made-up lady who just screamed at her kid in the checkout line. Maybe she's not usually like this. Maybe she's been up three straight nights holding the hand of a husband who is dying of bone cancer. Or maybe this very lady is the low-wage clerk at the motor vehicle department, who just yesterday helped your spouse resolve a horrific, infuriating, red-tape problem through some small act of bureaucratic kindness. Of course, none of this is likely, but it's also not impossible. It just depends what you want to consider. If you're automatically sure that you know what reality is, and you are operating on your default setting, then you, like me, probably won't consider possibilities that aren't annoying and miserable. But if you really learn how to pay attention, then you will know there are other options. It will actually be within your power to experience a crowded, hot, slow, consumer-hell type situation as not only meaningful, but sacred, on fire with the same force that made the stars: love, fellowship, the mystical oneness of all things deep down.

Not that that mystical stuff is necessarily true. The only thing that's capital-T True is that you get to decide how you're gonna try to see it.

edit: what, seriously? I guess I shouldn't have taken the time to re-read it before I posted. :P

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Ok, two points.

First, those are not the two only options, and you shouldn't really be taking either of those roads. You obviously don't want to blow a gasket and yell at somebody, but that doesn't mean you completely capitulate either. You've built up a false dichotomy, and you're picking the more reasonable of those two, but there's a large gray area inbetween you can explore. Be angry, but be as calm as you can, as reasonable as you can, and try to see their side. Actually explain what the issue is. Be honest. You will both be angry, but you can also both be adults.

If you never explain the problem, you can never resolve the problem. This is directly relevant to your example.

Secondly, if you're letting it slide, then you're not doing it a favor. If you have that mentality, that it's a favor, then you're going to expect a favor in return. Well, of COURSE you're not going to get a favor in return, because you didn't really give anything to them, at least not expressly. If I'm arguing, and the other person throws up their hands and says 'ok, I don't care', my reaction is not 'Oh, I really owe them for this one', I think 'Oh, I guess they don't care'. You're seeing a give and take which is only occurring in your head, and has nothing to do with reality.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, I won't pretend that misanthropy is maturity. Nor do I think that everyone except for me is dumb, or that I'm especially more intelligent than anybody such that I need to lord it over them. I wouldn't call myself a misanthrope, it's just that I'm beginning to despise the petty nature of a lot of my fellow man. It has nothing to do with intelligence for me and everything to do with people feeling like they should start a fight over small things so they can feel like the alpha male/female/whatever.

If you're making this assumption about why they're doing things, it's basically the same as thinking they're an idiot. You're assuming they're arguing with you for no good reason at all.

I have a friend who accuses me of this, and it annoys the ever loving shit out of me, because he cannot conceive that I might actually disagree with him on things. He doesn't assume that I have well thought out positions, or reasoning which is different from his. He assumes that I'm arguing with him just to be arguing. It's pretty insulting.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011

If you're making this assumption about why they're doing things, it's basically the same as thinking they're an idiot. You're assuming they're arguing with you for no good reason at all.

I have a friend who accuses me of this, and it annoys the ever loving shit out of me, because he cannot conceive that I might actually disagree with him on things. He doesn't assume that I have well thought out positions, or reasoning which is different from his. He assumes that I'm arguing with him just to be arguing. It's pretty insulting.

Yes, I can see where you're coming from here. But this completely ignores the possibility that people can just be petty. If somebody obviously deeply cares about whatever it is that they're arguing about, I can get behind that. But the possibility exists that people can care way too much about things that they shouldn't be attributing so much to.

On the above, yes. I get that it's a personal failing of mine, hence the way I ended that post with "I'm seeing that this is an unrealistic expectation".

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Okay, so did anybody read the example I gave on the prior page? It's just one example of the kind of pettiness I'm dealing with sometimes. Here's another, and hey, at the same place.
    The church secretary accidentally changed my salary to $200/mo. minus taxes instead of the $300/mo. minus taxes I have been making for the last three years. This was a mistake on her part, but for some reason it stuck in the budget. Then at the budget meeting I'm required to go to, I noticed it had decreased. When I spoke up about it, everybody seemed to be confused about what exactly goes into my job. So I spent the next month arguing with people and telling them I deserve to make $300 for 40 hours of work. It's only $7.50/hr, as opposed to the $5/hr. I'd be making otherwise.

A lot of people I talked to seemed surprised. That I'd want to be compensated for my job. The church would save $1200/yr. dropping my salary down (a drop in the bucket; we have a half a million dollar yearly budget). Meanwhile, the lady who does bells for 1 song every other week and plays the church organ once a month makes over $800/mo. because she has been there a long time.

Do you see what I mean by petty? And why I'm getting disillusioned with people?

EDIT: Oh, and the secretary in question? When I asked her why she didn't come out and say she made a mistake, she launched into a tirade about how she doesn't like me much and feels like I don't deserve to get paid for working for a church. Just... *HYPOCRISY HEAD ASPLODE*

joshofalltrades on