As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Misanthropy vs. Idealism - are most people inherently good or bad?

12346»

• Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PEOPLE AREN'T INHERENTLY ANYTHING! Why do people keep asking that?

The OP should just be like The Dude.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Houn wrote: »
    I just read this whole thread. My thoughts:

1. Relativity is awesome and Einstein kicks ass.
    2. People are simply people, and categorizing them will lead to problems.
    3. Josh, all of your problems are caused by living in a small town where you will always be labeled an outsider. Trust me when I say, GET OUT, GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN.

On-Topic, I've always adhered to the general philosophy that individuals are smart, but people are dumb. Additionally, the typical path one takes is young idealist, to jaded misanthrope when the ideals are shattered, eventually settling in to a general apathy when you find your misanthropy shattered as well, and decide that people are complex individuals with varying motivations and behavioral factors and keeping track of it all is a pain in the fucking ass so why fucking bother?

(Guess which stage I'm in.)

The enlightened, hovering in place with your legs criss-cross applesauce and humming "OM" to yourself stage?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lucid wrote: »
    And why is a thread about idealism now discussing relativity? This thread is weird.
    It's become an ACSIS thread.
    And just for the record i tried to prevent it. I managed to break off at the right moment on the creationist issue (barely but it was a clean cut), but i failed miserably in the relativity debate. I just wanted to explain... oh, alright, screw that.

It was related to the topic. I just wanted to point out that just because somebody has a different perspective of things than yourself that person is not automatically mistaken.

And if you keep insisting on one perspective without seriously exploring alternatives you act just like that. You are looking into a mirror then. To prevent that the only feasible way is to consider alternatives at least.

You might learn a thing or two along the way.

But i always get dragged down into detail (whilst comenting about special relativity... talk about a worst case scenario).

You can't blame me alone ^^

ACSIS on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Most people are, in my opinion, Unaligned, which means that they generally put the wants and needs of themselves and those people close to them first. They don't volunteer at the soup kitchen, but they don't go around kicking puppies, either.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Most people are what you generalize them to be. If you legitimize yourself acting like a bit of a dick by saying that all of humanity is dicks/dumbs, the people that get that you're acting haughty towards them will treat you like a dick.

Which is what you're being.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Most people are, in my opinion, Unaligned, which means that they generally put the wants and needs of themselves and those people close to them first. They don't volunteer at the soup kitchen, but they don't go around kicking puppies, either.

This is very true, and also completely understandable. People almost always align themselves with others in similar groups, and they construct and organize these groups based on some internal system of ranking. They then offer allegiance to people in like groups based on this ranking.

For example, people will almost always place "immediate family" at the top. They will side with, protect, and assist any family member above all else. Beyond that, maybe they have close friends. Then maybe people who share the same religious beliefs, then maybe people who share the same political beliefs, then maybe people in their town, then people in their state, and so on. How they interact with people, how they choose to offer charity, all this is based on their internal ranking system.

They will thus, for example, place their wife above a friend. They will perhaps place someone who is Christian (assuming the person is Christian) above a Jewish neighbor they don't know well. They will assist in a local soup kitchen before donating to a national charity. They will ally with a fellow American above some guy from Italy. All this based on some complex notion of kinship, because people like to feel included in groups.

In a lot of people, maybe most, I think that once you get a few categories removed from close friends and family, they cease to really even see them as fellow persons. Which is why someone can be devastated if a local fire kills ten people they barely knew, and shrug out a bland "oh, bummer" if an earthquake kills 5000 people across the globe. Those 5000 people aren't terribly real to them; they're part of an entirely different classification of beings.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    People do what they perceive as "right". People that manipulate people are not conscious of it. If there are people out there like that, I believe they are in the (very small) minority. Most people do it because.. well shit.. they don't think it's "wrong".

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    People do what is beneficial to them, their kin, or their cause. Being "right" is usually secondary to that.

L|ama on
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You guys are essentially talking about the monkey sphere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar's_number

Lucid on