As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailers:MoneyBall? More Like Broke Brad Pitt

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Sentry wrote:
    darunia106 wrote:
    Houn wrote:
    Sentry wrote:
    There are lots of problems with Click, mainly Sandler and the Director, neither of whom had what it takes to make it a good movie. Which is sad, because there IS a good movie in there.

Late, but that "good movie" you're referencing is It's a Wonderful Life. Click is just a pseudo-comedic remake of It's a Wonderful Life. Also, it was horrible and no one should bother watching it and I want my money back.

I mean... I guess. If you want to boil any movie whose theme is "this is what your life COULD have been" down to that one thread and call it a "It's a Wonderful Life" clone. But doing so would be pretty disingenuous. Plus it would force you to mention Click and It's a Wonderful Life in the same sentence, which is punishable by stoning in some parts of the south.

Also, "this is what your life COULD have been" is pretty much exactly what "It's a Wonderful Life" is not about.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    CasedOut wrote:
    CasedOut wrote:
    You probably should read the thread at least a little to find out if something has been posted.

If you were talking to me I went back a few pages and didn't see it. I don't have time to read the entirety of every thread on here. So I apologize if it was a repost.

I just thought it was funny because the very first post on this page is talking about Contagion. The trailer is at the bottom of the page right before this one.

maybe you should see who posted it on the page right before this one (hint it was me), and then maybe you should notice that the "post" of it on this page was someone quoting me

Quotes on this new forum look weird!

Also I am kind of dumb sometimes.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    It's a Wonderful Life was no classic until it started airing every year on TV 30 years later.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    CasedOut wrote:
    CasedOut wrote:
    You probably should read the thread at least a little to find out if something has been posted.

If you were talking to me I went back a few pages and didn't see it. I don't have time to read the entirety of every thread on here. So I apologize if it was a repost.

I just thought it was funny because the very first post on this page is talking about Contagion. The trailer is at the bottom of the page right before this one.

maybe you should see who posted it on the page right before this one (hint it was me), and then maybe you should notice that the "post" of it on this page was someone quoting me

Quotes on this new forum look weird!

Also I am kind of dumb sometimes.

yeah the quotes on the new forum are sort of hard to make out

452773-1.png
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    -SPI- wrote:
    As for The Thing, it looks fine I guess. But it seems so close to the carpenter version that it just seems pointless. Sorry new guys, that version has Kurt Russel in it, so you lose.

You are aware that it's a prequel to the Carpenter film, right? And that the production crew very, very purposefully tried their best to make it fit with the Carpenter film? And that John Carpenter has been a very vocal supporter of this film?
    Yeah, but that doesn't stop it looking like it's just more of the same.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Bama wrote:
    On the plus side, it might be a good idea to buy Purell stock now and sell it after this movie comes out.

:lol: These were exactly my thoughts within about 10 seconds of that trailer.

"Oh great, another movie to freak the public out about how dangerous all those diseases that are everywhere, even in your house!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote:
    -SPI- wrote:
    As for The Thing, it looks fine I guess. But it seems so close to the carpenter version that it just seems pointless. Sorry new guys, that version has Kurt Russel in it, so you lose.

You are aware that it's a prequel to the Carpenter film, right? And that the production crew very, very purposefully tried their best to make it fit with the Carpenter film? And that John Carpenter has been a very vocal supporter of this film?
    Yeah, but that doesn't stop it looking like it's just more of the same.

T-that's the entire purpose of the film.

It's literally more of the same to flesh out the plot of the first movie.

That's what Prequels are.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I'm fully aware that it's a prequel, but that doesn't stop it from looking like a pointless retread. Nothing in the trailer indicated it was fleshing out much of anything, and a lot of the scenes looked to be lifted directly from the original. It appears as much a remake as a prequel.

• Options
    DavosDavos Registered User regular
    SPI is right. By the looks of the trailer, it's a remake in every place that counts. It's a prequel only because that somehow excuses a lack of originality.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Of course the prequel is the exact same plot as the original. It has to be; the original told us so. That's how they established in the original that the alien is indeed a bad thing to have in a camp.

They didn't go over to the other camp and see the remnants of a bitchin' "WE FOUND A ALIEN TIME FOR INTERGALACTIC PEACE FOREVER" party, they found shredded humans and bad things. That's what the new trailer is showing us: the prelude to shredded Norwegians and bad things that serves as the prelude for shredded Americans and bad things in the original.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    However, there is a disconcerting lack of Norwegian dialogue in the trailer.

• Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
  • Options
    All I know is that Mary Elizabeth Winstead is in that movie so I pretty much have to see it.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I think CG could be used effectively in the Thing prequel if it's used subtlely like that face movement in the trailer.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    WankWank Registered User regular
    Hard to make out the dialogue in there, I got:

"The Batman must come back"

"What if he's gone?"

and that is about it...still super jacked

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote:

God, I know that song in the middle of the trailer. Its the Samiid eadnan, Norways contribution to the eurovision song contest in 1980. It was so catchy that people used to sing it for years afterwards. It is going to be stuck in your heads after one viewing.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Hell

We're all gonna watch it, no matter what.

Do you know I loved the Dark Knight, and I have only seen it once? It was great, but a second viewing seemed unnecessary, and seems that way still.

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    I've watched the Dark Knight at least 100 times since it came out. It's one of the best films I've ever seen.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Oh, I agree completely. I just enjoy the whole memory of the original viewing more than, say, watching it on Netflix in my house could ever hope to do. I don't want to sully that.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    It's a Wonderful Life was no classic until it started airing every year on TV 30 years later.

That happens fairly regularly. The Searchers wasn't recognized as a classic till 20 years after it was in theaters. And Tim Riggins is John Carter. Huh.

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Kagera wrote:

That happens fairly regularly. The Searchers wasn't recognized as a classic till 20 years after it was in theaters. And Tim Riggins is John Carter. Huh.

The fact that Searches wasn't considered a classic till 20 years after it came out shows that audiences in any era are really stupid.

• Options
    PaperFootballPaperFootball Registered User regular
    John Ford was one of the first American auteurs. Most film around that time was basically film d'art.

It's worse today when we have so much good film out there but people are still going to see Larry the Cable guy movies.

• Options
    John Ford was one of the first American auteurs. Most film around that time was basically film d'art.

It's worse today when we have so much good film out there but people are still going to see Larry the Cable guy movies.

True, but I will give them credit for universally shitting on the Jack and Jill trailer.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote:
    True, but I will give them credit for universally shitting on the Jack and Jill trailer.

You're assuming people aren't going to see it.

Man, are you gonna be disappointed the Monday after it comes out.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote:

Hey, people said that to me before the Sarah Palin movie came out. But apparently no one actually went to see it.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    tbloxham wrote:
    Disco11 wrote:
    CasedOut wrote:

Is there anyone in Hollywood that is not in that movie?

It's "Hollywood doesn't understand how viruses and disease transmission work" the movie!

Hmm, although I wonder if they actually have brewed up a 'megaplague' which actually would kill everyone for this movie. It seems unlikely due to the fact that we see the woman dying quite quickly after her return home, which means that the time between infection and death is quite short. Infection by contact or contact with a surface is dangerous, though not as effective as airborne transmission, however if that is the only transmission method and it is known while the outbreak is still at smaller levels then it would be relatively easy to contain. People can be very brutal at isolating the sick when they need to be.

Still, it does seem to have no obvious external signs of infection, which is a big plus for it killing everyone.

The problem with the film is that it will either be ridiculous, or pointlessly sad. Yes, if they put together a virus which is infectious through skin and from any contact, with a 3 month period in which you are infectious but not sick and everyone who gets it dies then yes, everyone dies and the flailings of the heroes are pointless. If there is a single chink in it's armor (you have to touch your mouth with infected hands, you are obviously sick, you die in a week etc) then them not seeing it and shutting down the transmission quickly enough to make it just a disaster is absurd.

Maybe you can become a carrier if you catch it from a squirrel and only die if you catch it from a human, like those pig worms.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    There's pretty much zero chance that movie won't be ridiculous.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I've watched the Dark Knight at least 100 times since it came out. It's one of the best films I've ever seen.

Same. It's an absolutely perfect Batman movie. If they top it with DKR... I might die. I'm really excited to see Bane, but I don't think it's possible for him to top the screen presence of Ledger's Joker.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:
    wirehead26 wrote:

Hey, people said that to me before the Sarah Palin movie came out. But apparently no one actually went to see it.

That's because her base feels movie cameras are the work of Satan. Ironic really.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    I find it ridiculous that people can go and say that "The Dark Knight" is one of the best films they've ever seen. I liked the movie but the only thing that stood out to me was a few scenes with the Joker.

Oh and the ending was awful

It certainly is the best comic book movie I think I've ever seen

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Zzulu wrote:
    I find it ridiculous that people can go and say that "The Dark Knight" is one of the best films they've ever seen. I liked the movie but the only thing that stood out to me was a few scenes with the Joker.

Oh and the ending was awful

It certainly is the best comic book movie I think I've ever seen

Meh its no ghost rider.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Make no mistake, I love The Dark Knight. It is flawed, though. The scene where he somehow lifts prints off a shattered bullet is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in such a polished film. It also doesn't really do anything with Batman as a character. I could list probably twenty films I've seen that are better overall films than The Dark Knight. I wish people wouldn't put it on quite as high a pedestal.

• Options
    I'm mostly disappointed that the contagion trailer showed Madagascar infected in their simulation graphic.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    IMO, the problem with the Dark Knight is that it's not a good batman film. Its a GREAT Joker film, but the entire film pretty much just serves to make Batman look like a chump compared to the Joker. Batman pretty much gets trumped at every encounter, save the final bit, and he even winds up torching his ethics to try to stop the joker. Ultimately, though the Batman takes the fall for the final crime to stop the Joker's ultimate victory, it still has the benefit of ostracizing batman from Gotham, which will make it that much more difficult for Batman to actually fight crime in the future.

The only two times the Joker even came close to failure in that movie is when the ships didn't blow each other up (which was ultimately irrelevant as he already turned Dent, proving he was right.) and the final act of Batman sacrificing his reputation to prevent word of Dent's action from getting out; which again had the bonus of causing a major interference to Batman. Everything else was a carefully planned out (or skillfully improvised) into part of his plan.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    You know the old adage, "You can get something done well, done cheaply, and done fast, but never more than two of those choices at once?"

The Dark Knight seems to offer a similar adage for the creation of a quality film:

"You need great acting, a great script, and a great director, but never fewer than two of those."

• Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    -SPI- wrote:
    I'm mostly disappointed that the contagion trailer showed Madagascar infected in their simulation graphic.

Well, clearly the virus reloaded its game until it started in Madagascar.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote:

Well, clearly the virus reloaded its game until it started in Madagascar.

Actually, that's pretty funny, and I'd laugh if the guy that made that graphic was a Pandemic fan.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Of course the prequel is the exact same plot as the original. It has to be; the original told us so. That's how they established in the original that the alien is indeed a bad thing to have in a camp.

They didn't go over to the other camp and see the remnants of a bitchin' "WE FOUND A ALIEN TIME FOR INTERGALACTIC PEACE FOREVER" party, they found shredded humans and bad things. That's what the new trailer is showing us: the prelude to shredded Norwegians and bad things that serves as the prelude for shredded Americans and bad things in the original.

This is a good point, in my eyes. Now, to some it might be incredibly lazy, but I see some value in having the two experiences be fairly similar, but the Norwegian camp fails to do something right that the second team did, and that's why things happened the way they did. Basically; they were similarly equipped, intelligent and resourceful people, but due to reasons/causes X, Y and Z, one team has things go horribly wrong, whereas the other only has things mostly go horribly wrong. But I could be crazy and giving them way too much benefit of the doubt.

Saw the Dark Knight Rises trailer before Harry Potter on Friday night, and squealed in glee. ... and was admittedly chanting "come on Batman" before each trailer started.

Contagion looks okay. A lot of conclusions to jump to, but it basically looks like Outbreak: 2011 edition, and I enjoyed Outbreak, so I might check this out as well.
    Make no mistake, I love The Dark Knight. It is flawed, though. The scene where he somehow lifts prints off a shattered bullet is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in such a polished film.

I don't know, I kind of like moments like that; where they do something that's essentially impossible but really not as impossible as a lot of shit we see in movies. I know Nolan had an aim that all tech in at least BB was supposed to be, like, at least theorized to be at a prototype stage in the next decade or two or something, but even if that's stretching things a lot for said "bullet reconstruction", it was basically a throw out to the CSI fans that "here's Batman, and he can do shit that would make modern forensics scientists wet their pants".

I admit I found it funny that they can do all that reconstruction but needed to baseline it against the results of eyeballing a series of bullet holes in bricks. The rail mounted gun was pretty sweet though.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
This discussion has been closed.