As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailers:MoneyBall? More Like Broke Brad Pitt

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Contagion looks good. Loved the John Carter trailer too, up until the 3D logo at the end, where I groaned like I always do.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    So is John Carter basically Flash?

Looks good though.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    John Carter looks good! They're sticking surprisingly close to the source material, by the look of things. Well, I guess it's not that surprising, it wasn't exactly classic literature.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    John Carter looks great, I'm glad to see that the horrible scifi movie was not the only version of that story they are going to do. Though technically it should be "A Princess of Mars." But if they want to franchise it, it does go better using the first main character.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Scorsese doing a family film? Alright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYIm6bJPolU

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    CasedOut wrote:

Is there anyone in Hollywood that is not in that movie?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    Behemoth wrote:
    John Carter looks good! They're sticking surprisingly close to the source material, by the look of things. Well, I guess it's not that surprising, it wasn't exactly classic literature.

I've never read any of the books, but I have seen enough Frank Frazetta paintings to know that if there is not a scene of John Carter riding a giant lizard with a half naked chick while fighting a six legged gorilla then the film makers have failed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You probably should read the thread at least a little to find out if something has been posted.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

You know what else I hated? Click. What a fucking horribly depressing movie. It was marketed as this fun, silly comedy about a guy with a remote that can control the world. And it is, for about 45 minutes....then for an hour it's this fucking tragic story of loss, missed moments and general depression. It's fucking horrendous.

Holy shit yes

Click is one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen, probably because I wasn't prepared for it. I mean, not in an introspective or deep way that sad films can be when they're really good (like 50/50 might be), in just a ... really dark and awful way that's such a clash with the movie you were watching. It's like coming home from an enjoyable but not terribly memorable evening with friends and your dog is dead because you left the gas on

override367 on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote:
    So is John Carter basically Flash?

More like Flash Gordon wishes he was John Carter.

• Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    After reading that interview with the cast and director of The Thing prequel I was genuinely excited for it... until I watched the trailer. I'm going to re-watch the original just to wash this away from my brain.

3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Where's the trailer

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    I thought the Jack and Jill you guys were talking about was that other movie by the guy who did Birdemic (actually called Julie and Jack.)
    Would still be interested to see which is worse.

"lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    What was wrong with The Thing trailer? Other than, of course, the title of the film. I thought it looked decent.

And I can't wait for John Carter. Kudos to Disney for releasing such a weird and melancholy teaser trailer, though from looking at the YouTube comments a lot of people can't tell this film takes place on Mars. They think it's just another SciFi/Western mashup like Cowboys v. Aliens.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Mattie wrote:
    After reading that interview with the cast and director of The Thing prequel I was genuinely excited for it... until I watched the trailer. I'm going to re-watch the original just to wash this away from my brain.

I felt the trailer gave too much away, which unfortunately revealed the prequel is a retread (pre-tread?) of the original plot, only now with one female character who looks half the age of the rest of the cast.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

is that... Borat?

• Options
    Mattie wrote:

I felt the trailer gave too much away, which unfortunately revealed the prequel is a retread (pre-tread?) of the original plot, only now with one female character who looks half the age of the rest of the cast.

The Thing prequel actually looks to be a loose remake of the original The Thing From Another World, what with the female lead and actual alien frozen in ice and the spaceship and all. I think that's kind of cool.

A prequel to a remake, which is actually a sequel, that is a remake.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hugo looks ok, but that trailer has awful music that does it absolutely no favours.

As for The Thing, it looks fine I guess. But it seems so close to the carpenter version that it just seems pointless. Sorry new guys, that version has Kurt Russel in it, so you lose.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    You probably should read the thread at least a little to find out if something has been posted.

If you were talking to me I went back a few pages and didn't see it. I don't have time to read the entirety of every thread on here. So I apologize if it was a repost.

452773-1.png
  • Options
    -SPI- wrote:
    As for The Thing, it looks fine I guess. But it seems so close to the carpenter version that it just seems pointless. Sorry new guys, that version has Kurt Russel in it, so you lose.

You are aware that it's a prequel to the Carpenter film, right? And that the production crew very, very purposefully tried their best to make it fit with the Carpenter film? And that John Carpenter has been a very vocal supporter of this film?

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote:
    CasedOut wrote:

Is there anyone in Hollywood that is not in that movie?

It's "Hollywood doesn't understand how viruses and disease transmission work" the movie!

Hmm, although I wonder if they actually have brewed up a 'megaplague' which actually would kill everyone for this movie. It seems unlikely due to the fact that we see the woman dying quite quickly after her return home, which means that the time between infection and death is quite short. Infection by contact or contact with a surface is dangerous, though not as effective as airborne transmission, however if that is the only transmission method and it is known while the outbreak is still at smaller levels then it would be relatively easy to contain. People can be very brutal at isolating the sick when they need to be.

Still, it does seem to have no obvious external signs of infection, which is a big plus for it killing everyone.

The problem with the film is that it will either be ridiculous, or pointlessly sad. Yes, if they put together a virus which is infectious through skin and from any contact, with a 3 month period in which you are infectious but not sick and everyone who gets it dies then yes, everyone dies and the flailings of the heroes are pointless. If there is a single chink in it's armor (you have to touch your mouth with infected hands, you are obviously sick, you die in a week etc) then them not seeing it and shutting down the transmission quickly enough to make it just a disaster is absurd.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    On the plus side, it might be a good idea to buy Purell stock now and sell it after this movie comes out.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Tbloxham's post sums up my feelings exactly about contagion.

Also super excited about John Carter of Mars. Andrew Stanton's directing!

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    darunia106 wrote:

Forgive me I don't recognize the name, whats he done?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CasedOut wrote:

If you were talking to me I went back a few pages and didn't see it. I don't have time to read the entirety of every thread on here. So I apologize if it was a repost.

I just thought it was funny because the very first post on this page is talking about Contagion. The trailer is at the bottom of the page right before this one.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    darunia106 wrote:

Forgive me I don't recognize the name, whats he done?

Writer and/or Director and/or Producer to a metric ton of Pixar stuff.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    The Judge wrote:

Oh cool, so someone who will give the source some respect. I remember when scifi did their horrific one I was sad because I thought that would be the only adaptation they did. John Carter is one of my favorite old school heroes, his line in Thuvia Maid of Mars is how I always picture a hero should be.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I'm really excited about John Carter; the trailer is classy as all hell and suggests something equally adventurous and thoughtful, which is a fucking rare breed these days.

• Options
    Preacher wrote:
    The Judge wrote:

Oh cool, so someone who will give the source some respect. I remember when scifi did their horrific one I was sad because I thought that would be the only adaptation they did. John Carter is one of my favorite old school heroes, his line in Thuvia Maid of Mars is how I always picture a hero should be.

To put it in a bit more context, he also directed Finding Nemo and Wall-e which are widely regarded as the best pixar films.

So excited!

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote:

It's not that I'm not interested to see how the movie will play out, I just worry it will inevitably be played like any other disaster movie.

IE. The virus is coming to get us! We only have 30 minutes to synthesize the vaccine in the Vaccinotron to save everyone, and Dr Evil McEnvironmentalist has stolen the Proton Matrix we need to turn on the Vaccinotron! Quickly Dr Heroine SaveTheChildren, use your womens intuition to save us!

On no, we've got to go into the science room. Dodge those biology lasers! Explosions! Hurrah, I've got the formula, get it into the machine. The world is saved!

Or

Strive struggle, everyone is dead but us 10 people. However, we've learned a valuable lesson about self reliance and the value of community!

I think it would be much more interesting to see the occurrence and after affects of a virus today which killed say, 1/8 of the worlds population. Like the real plagues which swept Europe. Yes, there are maybe a billion dead, and corpses are piled in the street but society can go on. The question is should it go on in the same way, how are we affected by this? Who is getting the blame, does it even matter? How does society deal with the aftermath of the draconian efforts which saved so many lives, but which led to say, 50% of the population of Seattle dying in quarantine.That would be much better than a plague which killed everyone. Also, more believable as a pandemic. If someone knows that someone is definitely going to die of the disease, then once enough people have died to show the severity they will just abandon them and hide.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sentry wrote:
    There are lots of problems with Click, mainly Sandler and the Director, neither of whom had what it takes to make it a good movie. Which is sad, because there IS a good movie in there.

Late, but that "good movie" you're referencing is It's a Wonderful Life. Click is just a pseudo-comedic remake of It's a Wonderful Life. Also, it was horrible and no one should bother watching it and I want my money back.

darunia106 wrote:
    To put it in a bit more context, he also directed Finding Nemo and Wall-e which are widely regarded as the best pixar films.

So excited!

I'll raise you a Brad Bird's Incredibles and Ratatouille. Sophisticated Animations for Classy, Dignified Gentlemen.

Houn on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    He also did iron giant

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Which is completely awesome in all regards, but not a Pixar movie. Thus, for the purposes of that particular "best of Pixar claim"...

Houn on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote:

is that... Borat?
    Yes, yes it is.

I will say, my first impression is something along the lines of; "Wait... this is a Scorsese movie?".
    It looks like they have a pretty good cast. I'm sure it will be fine; it really doesn't seem like a film I'd have any interest in seeing though (I doubt I'm among the intended audience anyway).

It is a bit depressing seeing someone like Scorsese make a 3D movie.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I assume the 3D is for the kids benefit, Tube.

This isn't THE DEPARTED 3D,

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    TehSpectre wrote:
    I assume the 3D is for the kids benefit, Tube.

This isn't THE DEPARTED 3D,

Oh, no question. It's still depressing to hear Scorsese and 3D in the same sentence though.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Makes no sense.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Houn wrote:
    Sentry wrote:
    There are lots of problems with Click, mainly Sandler and the Director, neither of whom had what it takes to make it a good movie. Which is sad, because there IS a good movie in there.

Late, but that "good movie" you're referencing is It's a Wonderful Life. Click is just a pseudo-comedic remake of It's a Wonderful Life. Also, it was horrible and no one should bother watching it and I want my money back.

darunia106 wrote:

So excited!

I'll raise you a Brad Bird's Incredibles and Ratatouille. Sophisticated Animations for Classy, Dignified Gentlemen.

Then what I really should have said is "among the best." All those are in my top five.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote:
    Houn wrote:
    Sentry wrote:

I mean... I guess. If you want to boil any movie whose theme is "this is what your life COULD have been" down to that one thread and call it a "It's a Wonderful Life" clone. But doing so would be pretty disingenuous. Plus it would force you to mention Click and It's a Wonderful Life in the same sentence, which is punishable by stoning in some parts of the south.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    CasedOut wrote:

I just thought it was funny because the very first post on this page is talking about Contagion. The trailer is at the bottom of the page right before this one.

maybe you should see who posted it on the page right before this one (hint it was me), and then maybe you should notice that the "post" of it on this page was someone quoting me

452773-1.png
This discussion has been closed.