As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Batman killed?

ptlsbntrptlsbntr Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Alright to start yes I realize this is a couple years old but I've yet to have this actual argument/discussion with anyone so here goes.

I just finished watching The Dark Knight again (I've seen this movie far too many times to count) and I still think that Batman killed Harvey Dent/Two Face when pushed him off the ledge of the building. My reasoning, one, if Harvey isn't dead in the rest of that scene he's in a very deep coma, two, and this negates the coma theory, Gordon's giving Dent's eulogy at the end of the movie. Really I think point two seals it, Harvey's dead and Batman killed him.

Believe me I know Batman doesn't traditionally kill people and that it would mean the Joker won but come on in this movie that's exactly what happened. The Joker won and Gordon and Batman lie about it. Now if it turns out that in the next movie or some movie related short, comic whatever comes/is out that says Dent's actually in Arkham then ok I'm wrong but right now I don't see how I could be.

ptlsbntr on

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't think it really matters, I mean, I love Batman as much as the next man, and I agree that not murdering people is an absolute necessity for his character. However, in that scene it was a necessity that Dent be stopped, and he accidentally killed them. I don't have a problem with the occasional accident, helping to add to Batman's history as an imperfect character*.

That or Harvey Dent is indeed dead, but Two-Face lives. Dun, dun, duuuuuuuun.

*Then again, isn't everything a part of Batman's plan?

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Batman didn't kill Harvey Dent.

Harvey was seduced by the Joker. He ceased to be Harvey Dent and became Two-Face. When that happened, the good man who was Gotham's white knight was destroyed. Two-Face betrayed and murdered Harvey Dent... from a certain point of view.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    He didn't mean to kill him, it just kind of happened. He did what he had to do to stop him, which led to his accidental death. I don't really count it as Batman breaking his no killing rule.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "I won't kill you ... but I won't save you, either!"

*flies away*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ULSvR6hhyI

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Holy crap. That fat dude's actually the final arm wrestler from Sly Stallone's epic "Over the Top."

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »
    "I won't kill you ... but I won't save you, either!"

*flies away*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ULSvR6hhyI

The characters in that series of movies were grimdark as hell (It was a Tim Burton film, after all.), though. And the first two were really good. The second one (Which is where that video came from.) is probably the darkest Batman movie ever to exist, and it's also the best.

Then some executives fucked it up with the last two movies by changing over directors from the first two. Apparently Batman can't be dark. So they made it be all kid friendly instead. Which is what killed the Batman franchise until it got a realistic reboot. :(

Also! We don't see him die. I bet that hole was set up to let the fat man escape in time. I mean, come on. It's Batman.

Archonex on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Klash wrote: »

That or Harvey Dent is indeed dead, but Two-Face lives. Dun, dun, duuuuuuuun.

I only watched the movie once, when it first came out, and this is how I went with it.
    I seem to remember a conversation about Harvey being dead right before the death scene. It just seemed like "yeah, Harvey is dead. let's let two-face do his thing and bury Dent to give closure to whatever loved ones he has around."

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Archonex wrote: »
    Also! We don't see him die. I bet that hole was set up to let the fat man escape in time. I mean, come on. It's Batman.

What about in the first movie when he remote drives the Batmobile into the Ajax Chemicals building and detonates a bomb ... a bomb he was keeping in the ... tire? O_o

Anyways, whole buncha goons surely died in the explosion.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

What about in the first movie when he remote drives the Batmobile into the Ajax Chemicals building and detonates a bomb ... a bomb he was keeping in the ... tire? O_o

Hey. They're called mooks for a reason.

And I never said the first two Burton style movies were light on the death scenes. They were both pretty dark, but they also oozed style in a way the new movies don't, as a result. The second one more-so then the first.

I mean, look what the Joker did with the laughing gas/poison to Gotham in the first film he directed. Some of his actions make the Scarecrow in the rebooted movie series look like a kitten by comparison.

Archonex on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

And I never said the first two Burton style movies were light on the death scenes. They were both pretty dark, but they also oozed style as a result. The second one more-so then the first.

I mean, look what the Joker did with the laughing gas/poison to Gotham in the first film he directed. Some of his actions make the Scarecrow in the rebooted movie series look like a kitten by comparison.

Darker, yet cartoony.

Like Looney Tune cartoons where they cut eachother in half for our entertainment. Yeah, dark as fuck, but no body really gets hurt.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ptlsbntr wrote: »
    Alright to start yes I realize this is a couple years old but I've yet to have this actual argument/discussion with anyone so here goes.

I just finished watching The Dark Knight again (I've seen this movie far too many times to count) and I still think that Batman killed Harvey Dent/Two Face when pushed him off the ledge of the building. My reasoning, one, if Harvey isn't dead in the rest of that scene he's in a very deep coma, two, and this negates the coma theory, Gordon's giving Dent's eulogy at the end of the movie. Really I think point two seals it, Harvey's dead and Batman killed him.

Believe me I know Batman doesn't traditionally kill people and that it would mean the Joker won but come on in this movie that's exactly what happened. The Joker won and Gordon and Batman lie about it. Now if it turns out that in the next movie or some movie related short, comic whatever comes/is out that says Dent's actually in Arkham then ok I'm wrong but right now I don't see how I could be.

Yes, Batman killed Dent (accidentally, in the process of saving a child's life). Shit happens.

From the script:
    Dent FLIPS the coin. High. Dent's eyes FOLLOW the coin up-
    Batman HURLS himself at Dent and the boy.
    All three of them VANISH over the edge. A TERRIBLE CRASH-
    then silence, but for the sound of DENT'S COIN, SPINNING on
    the floor at the edge of the hole.
    Gordon, horrified, RUNS to the edge- peers down-
    Dent lies at the bottom of the hole, his neck broken. DEAD.
    The coin stops spinning, GOOD SIDE UP.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Besides, I don't think that it's whether or not Batman will kill someone (shit happens) it's that he doesn't execute criminals.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Besides, I don't think that it's whether or not Batman will kill someone (shit happens), it's that he doesn't execute criminals.

pretty much
    superman is the one who unequivocally will not kill (though there have been exceptions to this as well)
    batman's thing is he will never use a gun, he doesnt go around killing people, but i dont think he has qualms if people die in the process of his crimefighting

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Besides, I don't think that it's whether or not Batman will kill someone (shit happens), it's that he doesn't execute criminals.

pretty much
    superman is the one who unequivocally will not kill (though there have been exceptions to this as well)
    batman's thing is he will never use a gun, he doesnt go around killing people, but i dont think he has qualms if people die in the process of his crimefighting

I'm pretty sure Batman does have qualms if people die in the process of his crimefighting. His parents died, so he obviously feels like other people should not die.

Superman generally won't kill but like you said, there's exceptions. The biggest one being that he was ultimately forced to kill Zod. Though that was a while back and might not be in continuity anymore.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The only reason Batman doesn't kill on a regular basis is because of the fucking Comics Code Authority and how it neutered pretty much any real violence in comics starting in the 50's. Batman carried and used a gun in his original inception. He was just a straight up vigilante. If anything, the movies are returning him to who he really is.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

And I never said the first two Burton style movies were light on the death scenes. They were both pretty dark, but they also oozed style as a result. The second one more-so then the first.

Darker, yet cartoony.

Like Looney Tune cartoons where they cut eachother in half for our entertainment. Yeah, dark as fuck, but no body really gets hurt.

That's a matter of opinion, really.

The third and fourth movies weren't directed by Burton.

They kicked him out of control of the project, and he was coming under attack at the end of the second movie, from parents that felt that the second movie wasn't "kid friendly" enough.

The movies got cartoony fast after that. And the last one, with Arnold's puns and Ivy, was just a trainwreck of awfulness. The Bat Nipples scene haunts me to this day.

The second movie, which is directed by Burton, is pretty much the penultimate Batman experience if you like the concept of Gotham and Batman.

It depicts Gotham at it's worst, and it's characters at their best, respectively. It always seemed to me to nail that effect of what would happen if you put larger then life characters in a relatively grounded setting.

It is also dark as all hell. I seriously can't re-state that enough.

It has child abuse (The Penguin's parents are almost as bad as he is.) and that fucking Catwoman origin scene/s. Which starts out as high octane nightmare fuel. To give you some concept of it, it starts out with cats eating her corpse after she gets murdered by being pushed off the top of a very tall building. It somehow gets worse from there after her "resurrection", leading to a full blown psychotic meltdown on the part of the character.

Pretty much every scene with the Penguin himself in it past the midpoint of the film crosses the line twice and then some, too.

That's not getting into the thugs, or some of the antics the characters get up too when interacting with themselves.

It has some great interactions, though. Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWFerfgiCTs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcQPsklmsnY&feature=related

But to get back on topic, my understanding is that Batman is a little cracked himself. If someone dies as a result of him following his rules, he may feel a bit broken up about it. But he won't change his behavior.

Which makes the scene at the end of the first rebooted movie kind of a wall banger, since I can't recall the Batman actually refusing to save someone when he could turn them over to the authorities after everything was all said and done.

Archonex on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i wouldnt be surprised if the tv series ends up retconing the movie and dent is alive just to have him in the tv show for abit.

which im ok with.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    tv show?

Joolander on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Burton's Batman is so bad, seriously.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I don't deny that it had some issues.

But you can't tell me that Batman hauling ass in what's essentially a tank down a high-way, totaling every cop car that comes after him, doing god knows how much money in terms of property damage, and most likely killing dozens of cops, is true to the spirit of the comics.

I mean, it's certainly a cool scene. But I sure as shit don't recall the actual character the reboot is based on ever considering doing something so batshit crazy and irresponsible.

Archonex on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The only reason Batman doesn't kill on a regular basis is because of the fucking Comics Code Authority and how it neutered pretty much any real violence in comics starting in the 50's. Batman carried and used a gun in his original inception. He was just a straight up vigilante. If anything, the movies are returning him to who he really is.
    I would argue that not killing is a huge part of who Batman is in the modern comics. Sure, the character originally had machine guns mounted on a hang glider and mowed down mobsters. But that was like 6 universe resets ago, and today Bats and his crew are the biggest proponent of the 'no kill" superhero in the DCU. It's pretty integral to the characters at this point.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

But you can't tell me that Batman hauling ass in what's essentially a tank down a high-way, totaling every cop car that comes after him, doing god knows how much money in terms of property damage, and most likely killing dozens of cops, is true to the spirit of the comics.

I mean, it's certainly a cool scene. But I sure as shit don't recall the actual character the reboot is based on ever considering doing something so batshit crazy and irresponsible.

Out of the two Nolan films vs the two Burton films, I'd say the one scene you cite above compared to all of the out-of-character scenes in Burton's films still makes Nolan's come out the victor.

• Options
    edited January 2011
    That one chase scene bugged me to hell.

Oh hey, this ancient 18th century building can easily support a 7 ton vehicle.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, it's not a good scene at all. I especially hate the cop on the CB Radio that's interspliced with that scene. It's but a small price to pay for the rest of the movie being fantastic.

• Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tim Burton's Batman Returns contained one Michelle Pfeiffer in skintight black leather, that alone gives him a pass.

As to the whole killing thing, I just look at it as certain directors tell certain stories, no different than DC's many different universes where the same character might act in different ways. The character cannot not be constrained by one set of movies or the comic book continuity from which it was first derived because it limits the flavor a certain artistic director may want to put into his movie. Best just to count the Burton movies as a stand alone experience while Nolan's films adhere more to the comic book continuity that we are familiar with.

I also think Casual Hardcore hit the core issue on the head that Nolan's Batman can't prevent the deaths in the case of "shit happening", but he's not going to needlessly execute criminals like Rais Al'Ghul wanted him to in Batman: Begins. In the case of Harvey Dent I think Batman had to choose who he was going to save, Dent or Gordon's son, and by that time Dent was too far gone for Batman to save mentally much less physically. He could only catch one and Batman chose the innocent.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Out of the two Nolan films vs the two Burton films, I'd say the one scene you cite above compared to all of the out-of-character scenes in Burton's films still makes Nolan's come out the victor.

I can only recall like one out of character scene in the two Burton films when it came to character deaths, though. That being the previously mentioned "bomb on a fat guy" scene, which makes Batman look a bit sociopathic, what with the smile and all. The actual death is done off-screen, if it occurs (And to be fair, it most likely did.), though.

I do recall the Batman in Burton's films at least trying to save some of the villains before they got fried. He sure as shit didn't go out of his way to murder Schreck, for instance. The entire reason why Batman is present at the end of the film is that he was trying to save the guy, along with the city, despite what an utter piece of shit he was.

The Penguin, similarly, got taken out by his own half-assed, insane plan going awry.

When he was firing the Batplanes guns at the Joker, I do recall the continued existence of an entire cities population being on the line, which was probably a bit of a game-changer.

Perhaps i'm missing more from the first movie, though. I've seen the second one plenty of times, but it's been quite a few years since I was able to track down the first Burton film.

But I think it ultimately comes down to a matter of preference. Some folks like the Nolan-verse movies for how "grounded" they are. Others like the Burton films for being a bit more over the top and comic bookish in nature.

Archonex on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I can only recall like one out of character scene in the two Burton films when it came to character deaths, though. That being the previously mentioned "bomb on a fat guy" scene, which makes Batman look a bit sociopathic, what with the smile and all. The actual death is done off-screen, if it occurs (And to be fair, it most likely did.), though.

I do recall the Batman in Burton's films at least trying to save some of the villains before they got fried. He sure as shit didn't go out of his way to murder Schreck, for instance. The entire reason why Batman is present at the end of the film is that he was trying to save the guy, despite what an utter piece of shit he was.

The Penguin, similarly, got taken out by his own half-assed, insane plan going awry.

When he was firing the Batplanes guns at the Joker, I do recall the continued existence of an entire cities population being on the line, which was probably a bit of a game-changer.

Perhaps i'm missing more from the first movie, though. I've seen the second one plenty of times, but it's been quite a few years since I was able to track down the first Burton film.

Boom

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm not talking about just Batman vis a vis character deaths, I'm regarding the entire take on the character and mythology of each pairing of films.

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, Burton's stuff is uh... it's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA6hZ4f34II

It's nuts.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm not talking about just Batman vis a vis character deaths, I'm regarding the entire take on the character and mythology of each pairing of films.

I really don't know what to say, then.

Both film series messed with the concept of "Batman", as a whole.

The Burton films mesh alot of the comic book concepts of Batman together. The Joker was merged with Joe Chill, to create dramatic tension (And give the rather untested Batman a reason to go lax on the no killing rule.), for instance, and the first film has the Joker at his most omnicidal.

I always felt that the Nolan films kind of threw out the entire concept of Batman as a traditional DC Comics super hero. Alot of his gear got played down to be more realistic, and the villains are definitely less of a threat to the continued existence of the city, as a result of the whole realistic bent.

I don't think the Nolan-verse films are bad, by any means. They're quite clearly excellent pieces of cinema. I just prefer the version that leans more toward's the over the top comic book angle, since that's what I grew up with.

It also helps that Tim Burton seems to be good at portraying people at their absolute looniest, which helps sell the setting the two films try to create.

Edit: That video up above has him trying to trick/bait the Joker. I don't think it actually counts as crazy if you're faking it to fool someone who has you at gunpoint.

He did make the Joker flinch, though. Which is funny all-in-of-itself.

Archonex on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Clearly, the best Batman film is the Adam West interpretation.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Clearly, the best Batman film is the Adam West interpretation.

Indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0UJaprpxrk

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Growing up in the late 80's-early 00's, I prefer the more grim dark look.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Reevaluate the entirety of Batman through the following lens:

head trauma is much more deadly than you think it is

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's frustrating that every time this discussion pops up, we end up making reference to faithfulness to the character, the comics, or some abstract canon. When we're talking about a property that has passed through the hands of hundreds of writers and artists, it's insane to assert that any one is more valid than any other, or that any work deviating from this archetype somehow invalidated. As has been shown in this thread, there are varying ideas of what "the rule" really is, for example. I think that Burton's Batman films suck for many reasons, but these are common complaints across his body of work.

Each artist that is given an opportunity to write the character will inevitably put their own spin on it. No one can pretend that their interpretation is definitive.

On TDK: Nolan and Eckhart have apparently stated that Two-Face is indeed dead. We don't know if they're telling the truth or not, but I'm not sure that matters. I think the intent of TDK was to make Batman realize his rule might have to be broken. Taking Two-Face over that ledge was a gamble- he might live, he might not- but that point is that Batman was prepared to roll the dice. This is Nolan's take on the character, which fits with his style. Whether some interpretations are more or less "Batman" is one debate, and whether or not they're good films is another.

Personally, I hope Two-Face's death is worked around and he returns, either in the body of the third film or as a cliffhanger at the end. There is still life in the character. That said, I won't lament it if he stays dead...at this point, I have a lot of faith that they will make something I enjoy in TDKR.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Its certainly more true to the comics than Burton's mess.

I'm sorry, but Batman Returns is the best Batman movie?

Good god. Do you actually read the comics? Because when you keep saying things like the Burton films played up "comic book qualities" it just sounds like you don't actually follow the titles, and your perception of the Batman comics is giant floating duck boats and awful dialog. Its two steps removed from Schumacher shouting through a bullhorn "Remember people, these are comics! PLAY IT UP!"

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's been a while, and my brain's tried its hardest to forget everything about the film, but I do remember a huge army of penguins with rockets on their backs being a key plot point.

That always struck me as retarded.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Burton's film's were basically the camp of the 60's Batman television affair with the proverbial "Darker & Grittier" trope added to the recipe.

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Raynaga wrote: »

Its certainly more true to the comics than Burton's mess.

I'm sorry, but Batman Returns is the best Batman movie?

Good god. Do you actually read the comics? Because when you keep saying things like the Burton films played up "comic book qualities" it just sounds like you don't actually follow the titles, and your perception of the Batman comics is giant floating duck boats and awful dialog. Its two steps removed from Schumacher shouting through a bullhorn "Remember people, these are comics! PLAY IT UP!"

The duck boat was featured in the silver age and the 80/90's Batman animation that everyone loved and received so many awards. So I don't know where the hell you got that complaint from. I can hardly defend my position if that's the only specific complaint you're going to mention, either.

Not that my position needs defending. People have different tastes. That's perfectly fine, if you ask me.

As for Schumacher. Here's a brief history lesson as to why the original set of films crashed and burned:

Schumacher only came into the picture in the third and fourth movies. Burton was effectively side-lined by some executives toward's the end of the second movie's development. By the time the third movie rolled around he was a producer in name only, and apparently had very little influence, if any at all, on the project.

By the time the fourth one was put into production, he wasn't even brought on board for the project. Which is a good thing, because the fourth movie was a horrible mess that essentially killed the franchise until the Nolan reboot came along. It also was so bad that it damaged a few careers of the staff and actors that were associated with it.

It's an interesting case of executive meddling, because Schumacher claims he essentially got side-lined and forced to do what the executives that were funding the project wanted to do.

Schumacher has gone on record as saying that his original pitch was essentially a live action recreation of Year One.

But the execs wanted something that would more appeal to kids, rather then potentially terrify and traumautize them, so the last two movies went more corny "Adam West's Silver Age", rather then "The Nightmare Before Christmas meets Batman" that the Burton films seemed to be, aesthetically speaking.

Archonex on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Burton's film's were basically the camp of the 60's Batman television affair with the proverbial "Darker & Grittier" trope added to the recipe.

Pretty much this. Its Adam West, if he liked killing hobo's.

Raynaga on