As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pre-PAX Bar Crawl] (Closed) Pokecrawl Episode 2: Mewtwo Strikes Back!

• Options
    cyntheticcynthetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    whypick1 wrote: »
    It's MA. Legally, the only forms of that are acceptable for alcohol purchases are MA ID, MA drinking ID (mostly for non-resident college students), military ID or passport. Doesn't mean all establishments will uphold this law (I imagine bars near large conventions might find themselves "forgetting" the particulars of this law), but I've personally been burned by it.

So... another state's ID wont do it? I wasn't exactly planning to take my passport to Boston (just one more thing to lose...)

cynthetic on
  • Options
    DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    cynthetic wrote: »
    It's MA. Legally, the only forms of that are acceptable for alcohol purchases are MA ID, MA drinking ID (mostly for non-resident college students), military ID or passport. Doesn't mean all establishments will uphold this law (I imagine bars near large conventions might find themselves "forgetting" the particulars of this law), but I've personally been burned by it.

So... another state's ID wont do it? I wasn't exactly planning to take my passport to Boston (just one more thing to lose...)

It wasn't an issue last year, but it's something to keep in mind.

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • Options
    JamersJamers Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I have HUGE difficulty believing that only MA-issued IDs and passports are acceptable given the amount of tourist traffic that Boston sees.

Jamers on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DStalefish wrote: »

It wasn't an issue last year, but it's something to keep in mind.

I had a Jersey DL for the first 5 years I lived in Boston and it was never an issue. The only place that will be an issue I think is the Garden and since you guys are catching a game it won't be a problem. Some bars in Allston have asked for backup ID (my credit card or student ID) to go with the out of state DL but downtown it was not an issue.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    TheSeffTheSeff South Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I never had a problem with my Florida license, which I used in Boston bars from May through February. I just got my Mass license so it's a non issue now. Once in a while someone will just ask to see something else with your name on it like a credit or debit card, health insurance card, etc. I can honestly say though I've never been turned down anywhere in Boston using an out of state ID.

TheSeff on
    I am literally only registered on this forum for the PAX East PokeCrawl; Red Gold four years running. Feel free to ask questions regarding Boston Area bars, restaurants, attractions, etc around PAX East.
  • Options
    Icarus027Icarus027 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you have an out-of-state ID/drivers license it shouldn't be a problem at any of the bars. I'm from Maine (the most beloved template for fake IDs) and I've never had an issue at a bar. However, from my experience its only some liquor stores (the huge warehouse sized ones) that enforce the Mass ID/military ID thing (to limit transport out of state).

Icarus027 on
    Trust me, I'm (almost) a doctor.
  • Options
    TuftTuft Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    But I'm from NY, they hate us in boston! AIYEE! PANIC

Tuft on
  • Options
    LanderolinLanderolin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pfft. I'm from Britian. They really hate us! :D

I'm liking the noms pic though, I'll have to see what I can do.

Landerolin on
    Pokecrawl 2011 - Team Squirtle!
    Tweet me @Landerolin
  • Options
    Icarus027Icarus027 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Landerolin wrote: »

What? We don't hate you British folks. Don't you remember that huge tea party we threw you a couple hundred years ago?

P.S. - The NY Yankees can die in a fire

Icarus027 on
    Trust me, I'm (almost) a doctor.
  • Options
    cyntheticcynthetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Icarus027 wrote: »

What? We don't hate you British folks. Don't you remember that huge tea party we threw you a couple hundred years ago?

I'm alright with any Yankees fans... as long as non of you are Cubs fans >.> <.< >.> lol.

cynthetic on
  • Options
    JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Icarus027 wrote: »

note to self: wear Yankees tshirt on Thursday :P

Jerkfish on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Go Team Blue, scourge of Boston! XD

Tuft on
  • Options
    LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I still have my MA license, still valid for another year before I have to renew it...here in Kentucky. I just don't want to part with it ever. ;__;

Being from Western MA originally, I hate the Red Sox. Deal with it.

LollerskateDJ on
    PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • Options
    LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Puka wrote: »
    @Starlightslk I say leave your costume as it is and if you're ever cold, you know Team Blue will keep you warm ;D
    I'm wearing a mini skirt and heels so you know I'll be cold! But it's mostly inside, right? =x

Shush, you have a boyfriend so you won't be that cold. At least you can wear heels...I play it safe and stay low to the ground with no heels. I know I won't stumble and break my ankle. That's what I need, a broken ankle.

LollerskateDJ on
    PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • Options
    GalFridayGalFriday Community and Social Media Manager NovatoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I have been living here for a few weeks and do not have a MA ID and have not run into any problems, however when showing my out of state ID I was once asked for a second form of ID; which luckily I had on me. It is not unwise to bring two forms of photo ID if you are coming from afar.

Really though I don't think it will be a problem. Enough people have weighed in on this, I am going back to talking about Sexy Pokemon.

@Starlightslk I say leave your costume as it is and if you're ever cold, you know Team Blue will keep you warm ;D
    I'm wearing a mini skirt and heels so you know I'll be cold! But it's mostly inside, right? =x

I strongly concur. Go with the mini skirts ladies, alcohol will keep you warm.

GalFriday on
    @Ga1Friday is the twitter account I use to talk about everyday things. Sometimes work things. Lots of work things.
  • Options
    PukaPuka Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I know some bars/clubs won't accept MA State IDs, so it's best to bring a passport or at least two types of IDs like GalFriday suggested. :3

Shush, you have a boyfriend so you won't be that cold. At least you can wear heels...I play it safe and stay low to the ground with no heels. I know I won't stumble and break my ankle. That's what I need, a broken ankle.

I was just saying us girls gotta stick together and stay warm. ;]

Puka on
  • Options
    RokalRokal Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sorry, I only recently learned about this bar crawl and I couldn't find an answer to my question within the last couple of pages. I noticed all the groups are full, what's the situation for people like me that would like to join you folks even though the groups are full?

Rokal on
  • Options
    ZarienZarien Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really appreciate everyones replies about the bar age. That sucks, at least we will have all of the amazing beauty that is pax for the rest of the week, the best thing to happen to boston in years, besides the squirtle squad coming to town thursday. Real talk, we rock sunglasses, AT NIGHT. No big deal....but it is.

Zarien on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Rokal wrote: »
    Sorry, I only recently learned about this bar crawl and I couldn't find an answer to my question within the last couple of pages. I noticed all the groups are full, what's the situation for people like me that would like to join you folks even though the groups are full?

afaik, the groups are full due to logistics and safety issues. We're already crowding these bars with 400+ peeps, so adding random people is probably not a good idea. You could try to talk to the members of team Snorlax and see if there's something you can do with the campers, but I believe after past years' experience, tagalongs are discouraged.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    SausageSausage FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This might be a dumb question since a lot of people are going to be dressed like Pokemon, but I know a lot of places follow a dress code so I thought I would ask before getting there, is there anything I should avoid? I'm not wearing heels to the bar crawl, but in my mind I was planning on packing for comfort for PAX and just want to be clear that if someone were wearing tennis shoes or jeans that they would still be ok to get in.

Sausage on
    3DS: 2964-9827-0033
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sausage wrote: »
    This might be a dumb question since a lot of people are going to be dressed like Pokemon, but I know a lot of places follow a dress code so I thought I would ask before getting there, is there anything I should avoid? I'm not wearing heels to the bar crawl, but in my mind I was planning on packing for comfort for PAX and just want to be clear that if someone were wearing tennis shoes or jeans that they would still be ok to get in.

I can't confirm 100% but they don't seem like the type of bars (a lot are part-restaurant, for instance) that would have a strict dress code. Nice sneakers / good jeans, etc. should be fine regardless.

Tuft on
  • Options
    ZarienZarien Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You should be fine sausage. They are bars. Not clubs. Jeans are normal wear considering the cold. I don't really see a problem with sneakers as well for an event of 400 people walking around all night drinking either.

Zarien on
  • Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I know some bars/clubs won't accept MA State IDs

This happens A LOT near Faneuil Hall, so if you are someone who has an out-of-state, non-driver's license ID, bring as many forms of backup as humanly possible. Or your passport.

I recently lost my New Jersey driver's license (it fell out of my pocket somewhere) so I will be carrying my passport too, so I feel all you guys' pain :(

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • Options
    KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I can say with reasonable certainty (I worked around there for a long time) that for the bars we're going to, they are only going to deny an out-of-state license if it is from an easy-to-counterfeit state.

They are not legally required to accept ANY ID EVER however in MA- but the acceptable list that they are supposed to accept are Passport cards, Passport books, MA driver's license, and MA Liquor ID. I've never seen them turn down a Military Id though (Many of my friends are / were in the military ;))

That said, I HAVE seen some random state licenses get denied. West Virginia I think was one that gets the big no often.

Basically, if you don't think:
    A) That your state has a reasonably hard to counterfeit license
    or
    B) That your state is in the Northeast (Yea, the states near us have an easier time of it)

Then bring your PASSPORT (yes, I mean it even if you're just coming from inside the states) or you might get bumped. It's annoying, but with the craploadton of colleges, they get careful with fakes.

Oh, and if you're under 21, don't bother. After 9 you ain't getting in anywhere but the Hard Rock. Before 8, the Bell In Hand will likely let you in if you are with people before, and it won't throw you out when they go into "21-only mode". (Shh, I didn't tell you this trick.)

Kiashien on
    The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Last year I went to a bar with a New York State Driver's Licence, and I can tell you, if they really want to, they can scan that id to prove it's legit. They did last year. These are not small bars that never see these IDs, they're huge bars in the single most touristy area of Bosotn.

RidleyDragon on
    PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Last year I went to a bar with a New York State Driver's Licence, and I can tell you, if they really want to, they can scan that id to prove it's legit. They did last year. These are not small bars that never see these IDs, they're huge bars in the single most touristy area of Bosotn.

Yea, I am not really worried about this to be honest. It's a friggin bar, not an airport.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    One thing I am concerned about: The cover. I've heard Mcfadden's is a College bar, and I'm wondering if I'm walking into it twice, are they going to charge a cover twice?

RidleyDragon on
    PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They're gonna charge a group of 100 cover? O.o;

Heleor on
  • Options
    LibrarianofdoomLibrarianofdoom Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Forgive me if I've missed this, I can't seem to find it---

If I'm signed up for a team, is there anything else I have to do besides show up? Do I need to wear something special? I feel lost. :/ I think that my lack of internet for two weeks has totally thrown me off and made me miss out on awesome things. (Such as, where do we meet?) I'm a sad monkey.

Librarianofdoom on
    The Princess Who Saved Herself
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Heleor wrote: »

I'm waiting to hear back about this so hang on for a bit.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    AurorBKAurorBK Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    About IDs: If you don't want to be hassled, bring a passport. Out-of-state driver's licenses should work at most bars provided you have a backup ID/something with your name on it. Foreign ID's? Unlikely. Use your passport.

Dress codes: I don't think (but I could be wrong, haven't been to them all and quick google isn't always reliable) any of the bars on the list have dress codes, but many of the bars in the surrounding areas do. So keep that in mind if you wander off track or want to go somewhere else after 12:30.

AurorBK on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    GB330033 wrote: »
    Hello Ladies and Gents,

I realize I'm a bit late to the party here, but if any team still has room, my liver is ready to serve!

Seriously though, I'm coming into town on Thursday but my girlfriend won't be in until Friday afternoon, leaving me to my own devices Thursday night. What better way to celebrate than drinking?

If there aren't any spots left hanging 'round, I suppose I could just tag along...

At this point I doubt we will have enough spots open up to accommodate you as we already have several people waiting to get in. I would also like to discourage people from tagging along with the crawl proper. We're not capping the attendance to exclude people. We're capping attendance to keep our numbers somewhat reasonable. We're not sure if these bars will be able to handle our numbers let alone anyone who tags along.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

If I'm signed up for a team, is there anything else I have to do besides show up? Do I need to wear something special? I feel lost. :/ I think that my lack of internet for two weeks has totally thrown me off and made me miss out on awesome things. (Such as, where do we meet?) I'm a sad monkey.

The OP has some good infos.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=135237

Here is where you should be at the beginning of the night.: 0730 Hard Rock Cafe: First Meeting with Team Blue

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Challenge 4: Escape the Cloning Facility!

Mewtwo had kidnapped your Pokemon and you find yourself trapped in his cloning facility separated from your friends! In order to rescue your Pokemon you must partner with a rival from the other team and drink 5 shots split amongst the two of you in order to navigate Mewtwo's traps.

For example, George from Team Yellow Group B lost his prized Electabuzz that was given to him by his father. He swallows his pride and partners with Ginny from Team Red Group B who is looking for her Rapidash. George is already stumbling from side to side. Ginny bravely decides to take the Arcanine's share of drinks and down 4 shots leaving 1 for George. She's now in just as bad shape as George is but they can both continue looking for their Pokemon.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

To follow up on this, McFadden's has waived the cover charge for us and is opening the downstairs bar and assigning extra bartenders.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    LibrarianofdoomLibrarianofdoom Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rdr wrote: »

The OP has some good infos.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=135237

Here is where you should be at the beginning of the night.: 0730 Hard Rock Cafe: First Meeting with Team Blue

Thank you. :)

So, do we need to wear anything specific? Something....blue? I saw mentions of t-shirts but I'm pretty sure I missed that bandwagon.

Librarianofdoom on
    The Princess Who Saved Herself
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Mewtwo had kidnapped your Pokemon and you find yourself trapped in his cloning facility separated from your friends! In order to rescue your Pokemon you must partner with a rival from the other team and drink 5 shots split amongst the two of you in order to navigate Mewtwo's traps.

For example, George from Team Yellow Group B lost his prized Electabuzz that was given to him by his father. He swallows his pride and partners with Ginny from Team Red Group B who is looking for her Rapidash. George is already stumbling from side to side. Ginny bravely decides to take the Arcanine's share of drinks and down 4 shots leaving 1 for George. She's now in just as bad shape as George is but they can both continue looking for their Pokemon.
    You beautiful bastard.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This pokecrawl is gonna be expensive. haha
    So, do we need to wear anything specific? Something....blue? I saw mentions of t-shirts but I'm pretty sure I missed that bandwagon.

Depends on your Professor. You should PM him see what kind of specifics he wants.

Rdr on
  • Options
    AurorBKAurorBK Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Damn, looks like we're stepping up the amount of drinking this year. Well, I didn't go to college for nothing. It's on like Kangeskhan.

AurorBK on
  • Options
    ProeliatorProeliator Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

To follow up on this, McFadden's has waived the cover charge for us and is opening the downstairs bar and assigning extra bartenders.

... ::Sniff:: .... ::Hugs::

Proeliator on