Options

The Good (Rodgers) The Bad (Roethlisberger) and the Ugly (Al Davis) [NFL]

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    defending belichick felt almost as weird as rooting for the steelers over the jets did (if you feel you would've done something else during that game, you were not watching the game in a jets bar)

satansfingers on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    at least mark sanchez is likable

is there anybody on the steelers i can say that about? honestly, no. i like the concept of a Mike Wallace but i don't know if he has any personality.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    oh come on polamalu is likable

he lands the big hits everyone loves, but his technique is impeccable. i really appreciate that he is a ferocious but clean tackler.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i used to like him but he bitched and pissed and moaned a lot this year

about the whole "goodell hates our team of dirty players and rapists :(" thing

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    polamalu is actually one of the more genuine dudes in the nfl about the real risks concussions pose
    When I brought up the call for change with the Steelers’ Troy Polamalu, an All-Pro safety who plays with brilliant abandon, and mentioned that the sport’s popularity seemed to be unflagging, he cut me off. “Is that your opinion? That it doesn’t need to be changed?” He later added, “This game’s on the verge of getting out of hand,” and defended the refs, who, he said, were “just trying to protect it.” This from a guy who, a few weeks earlier, had complained that there was “a paranoia that is unneeded,” and that if people wanted to watch soccer they could and would.

“In the past, it was a style of ball that was three yards and a cloud of dust, so you didn’t see too many of these big hits, because there wasn’t so much space between players,” Polamalu said. “I mean, with the passing game now, you get four-wide-receiver sets, sometimes five-wide-receiver sets. You get guys coming across the middle, you get zone coverages. You know, there’s more space between these big hits, so there’s more opportunity for these big hits.”

satansfingers on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mike Tomlin is likable.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    yeah i love omar epps

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Mike Tomlin is likable.

UNLEASH HELL

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like Polamalu well enough, but he is surrounded by utter a-holes

The Jets have some shitty people too, but they have that dude who does backflips, and they pretend to be airplanes, and I can't help but find Rex Ryan annoyingly lovable

And if you're rooting for the Steelers against the Packers, you are a rapist. Add it to the list

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    as a guy who has spent the last 12 years putting together protection to keep a QB on his feet, you would think that an OL guru (who started as a defensive player/coach) would actually understand defenses pretty well and might actually do a good job.

under the radar, the eagles also hired howard mudd to coach the OL. Mudd was the guy who put together and coached the OL to keep peyton manniing on his feet since he's been in the league.

zucchini on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    i love the packers

as of the championship games, they were the only remaining team i liked

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    like i hate both of these teams equally so i'm not watching or rooting for either one

but i will go out of my way to guarantee a stillers victory

they have the twelfth man

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    NotASenator on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I am currently reading through the Washington City Paper article that Dan Snyder is suing them over for defamation of character for "lies, half-truths, innuendo and anti-Semitic imagery to smear, malign, defame and slander".

The article can be found here and the "anti-Semitic imagery" is the scribbling of a unibrow, devil horns, and a fu manchu on his portrait below.

1290037123_m_cover_illo.jpg

Even if only half of these allegations are true it's hard to think of a worse owner in sports.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think Donald Sterling gives him a run for his money; also Al Davis and a smattering of cheap baseball owners. But Snyder's probably the worst.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    So I am currently reading through the Washington City Paper article that Dan Snyder is suing them over for defamation of character for "lies, half-truths, innuendo and anti-Semitic imagery to smear, malign, defame and slander".

The article can be found here and the "anti-Semitic imagery" is the scribbling of a unibrow, devil horns, and a fu manchu on his portrait below.

1290037123_m_cover_illo.jpg

Even if only half of these allegations are true it's hard to think of a worse owner in sports.

It appears here - http://mirror.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2011/02/02/to-our-readers.html - that he is just threatening to sue in an attempt to get the investors to force the paper's hand.

I love the response on all sides here: The investors said "We don't write the damn paper", the writers said "it's not libel if it's true" and the paper said "nothing's better for ad sales than controversy, why don't you come and write a response piece!"

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Donald Sterling has the excuse of owning the goat franchise of the LA sports market and the once successful Al Davis is 257 years old. Snyder is 45 and looking at this laundry list of failed advertisement campaigns and questionable business decisions it's a miracle the guy ever made any money let alone enough to afford the second most-valuable NFL team.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    This is my favorite part:
    Inside the Red Zone With Vinny Cerrato: WTEM radio show featuring top Snyder aide that debuted early in the 2008 season, shortly after Snyder had bought what was then D.C.’s only sports-radio station. Because of abuse from Skins fans, Cerrato quickly stopped taking calls. He later stopped showing up at all on Mondays after Skins’ losses. The show didn’t return for the 2009 season.

It's not the most ridiculous or blatant, but it seems to encompass a lot of the big issues - media manipulation, Cerrato, ignoring fan response and team performance and just plain old failed plans.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    This is a good one:
    Pentagon Flag Hat: A Redskins cap sold for profit by Snyder to “commemorate September 11” in time for the fifth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Ads boasted that the $23.99 caps, really just black Redskins hats with a red, white, and blue Pentagon sewn on the side, were “expected to be worn by the Redskins coaches.” No other NFL team put 9/11 commemorative products for sale during the 2006 season, for profit or otherwise. Snyder had previously added a $4 “security surcharge” to the ticket prices soon after the attacks.

Butters on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Donald Sterling has the excuse of owning the goat franchise of the LA sports market and the once successful Al Davis is 257 years old. Snyder is 45 and looking at this laundry list of failed advertisement campaigns and questionable business decisions it's a miracle the guy ever made any money let alone enough to afford the second most-valuable NFL team.

The Clippers are what they now are because of how Sterling runs the team.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Goose! wrote: »

Yes, this.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Basically, the local talk radio station changed formats to sports just so people would have a place to bitch about Snyder on the radio.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Perhaps but the Lakers have history and a lineage superior to the Clips. If Sterling bought the Lakers and dragged them down to what the Clippers are it would be much more analogous to what Snyder has done to the Redskins; a franchise that won 3 Super Bowls in 9 years.

Butters on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I get that GB needs a song but does it have to be the SAME song the Steelers are gonna play?

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Perhaps but the Lakers have history and a lineage superior to the Clips. If Sterling bought the Lakers and dragged them down to what the Clippers are it would be much more analogous to what Snyder has done to the Redskins; a franchise that won 3 Super Bowls in 9 years.

I'd throw Bill Wirtz's name in there too for what he did to the Chicago Blackhawks, but he's dead now so he doesn't get to be in the current race. Snyder's like Bizzaro Mark Cuban, super involved as an owner but every decision he makes is bad and wrong. I'm not saying Cuban's perfect but you can't argue that he's elevated that franchise.

Peen on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, but that's because Snyder's a fan that owns his team, whereas Sterling is just a rich guy using a tax shelter.

I think they're both neck and neck in terms of awfulness.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    See I wouldn't say Sterling's as bad as Snyder because once in a while he ends up with an ok team in spite of himself through an accumulation of lottery picks and semi-decent coaches, whereas it almost seems like Snyder actively works to sabotage his own franchise.

Peen on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Well Mark Cuban is a fan that owns a team and he's pretty awesome.

In the NFL, it's a three way race between Davis, Snyder and Jones for worst owner.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Wayne is super over-exposed, but he's also really, really good. I like informed, specific rap songs, but that's usually only nerdy youtube (or Rap News) videos.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well Mark Cuban is a fan that owns a team and he's pretty awesome.

In the NFL, it's a three way race between Davis, Snyder and Jones for worst owner.

Jones as in Jerry Jones? The guy who built a dynasty in Dallas and is consistently seen as one of the best owners?

I may not like the Cowboys, but I wouldn't say Jones is anywhere near the awfulness of Davis and Snyder.

The Cardinals and Lions have far more problems in Ownership than the Boys do.

Goose! on
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How about Mike Brown, the owner of the Bengals? I hear all kinds of horrible things about him, such as not using scouts to the degree that other teams do and that all of the players seem to hate him.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Peen wrote: »
    See I wouldn't say Sterling's as bad as Snyder because once in a while he ends up with an ok team in spite of himself through an accumulation of lottery picks and semi-decent coaches, whereas it almost seems like Snyder actively works to sabotage his own franchise.

You've got it backwards. Sterling ends up with talent because of lottery picks and then sabotages it because the NBA's financial system allows an exceptionally unsuccessful team to maintain profitable via luxury tax revenue sharing. Snyder's sabotage is the result of him running the show and he doesn't know what he's doing.

Snyder wants to have a good team but can't build one. Sterling knows a good team is hard to build and found a way to make money without one.

Butters on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    I hate the Cowboys but Jones isn't a bad owner. He's kind of the Steinbrenner of the NFL. He wants to win and he will do it at any cost. Sometimes he gets too involved and makes bad decisions but you have to love him as your owner because you know he isn't going to give it everything he has.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Jones is a successful owner business wise but he's not a good one. The Cowboys would be more successful on the field if he took more advice and allowed a coach to be a coach. Unfortunately he's made good decisions here and there like the Bryant pick that make him think he's capable of being a GM.

If MLB were half as dependent on good drafting as the NFL is the Yankees would never have won anything under the Steinbrenners.

Butters on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Jones is a successful owner business wise but he's not a good one. The Cowboys would be more successful on the field if he took more advice and allowed a coach to be a coach. Unfortunately he's made good decisions here and there like the Bryant pick that make him think he's capable of being a GM.

If MLB were half as dependent on good drafting as the NFL is the Yankees would never have won anything under the Steinbrenners.

I agree completely. The only thing that keeps Jones from being Steinbrenner is the salary cap.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    And if MLB players had the shelf life of NFL players Steinbrenner would have been the Dan Snyder of baseball.

Butters on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So Michael Vick is selling tickets to a Super Bowl party he's hosting, that's gonna have like a SWAT team and shit at it to make sure no one gets shot again. But! Best part! They apparently decided to sell the tickets through the company I work for!

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/151373

I laughed really hard under the event description, where it says "Dog Friendly: No."

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That's pretty damn awesome.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    I put Jones on the list because of his meddling. He's a good businessman, terrible GM.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone who thinks that Dan Snyder is worse than Donald Sterling doesn't know enough about Donald Sterling.

Jasconius on
This discussion has been closed.