As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Isaac [chat]imov

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guys, bitta tact.

Shut the fuck up.

Tav on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    If you killed your liver by 20, I don't think you should be on the transplant list.

You don't get on the list. I'm pretty sure they refuse addicts spots on the list because they have a high risk of fucking up their new organs and they could go to someone else.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to rich or famous people though.

really, anyone with influence will probably get an organ.

Its disgusting. I mean I know the nature of shit, but the way healthcare is up for the highest bidder is god damn scary.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    wait nocturne was in trouble?

Rent on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I should be allowed to buy all the extra livers I want.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I should be allowed to buy all the extra livers I want.

why do you think celebrities all adopt a bunch of third world kids

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    By "addicts" I really just mean anyone who uses a drug that messed up the organs.
    Tylenol causes liver damage.

Right, and someone who fucks up their liver with tylenol because they're using it much more than the list people deem necessary will probably not get another liver.

Besides which, I'm pretty sure telling someone who fucked their liver up with acetaminophen to use ibuprofen will work a lot more consistently than telling someone who fucked their liver up with alcohol to stop drinking.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Rent wrote: »

No he's just stopped posting probably because he has a life or some shit.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Spirit was a great movie when I was in University and soulcrushingly homesick, which I saw multiple times in theaters over winter break

after dropping out, coming home, perking up and buying the DVD it became apparent the movie shines brightest when every other aspect of the viewer's life is dark as Morgan Freeman's asshole.

I wouldn't call The Spirit "great" so much as "hypnotically terrible."

Lawndart on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    wasn't TAS kind of film noiry?

Not sure what TAS is.

Batman: The Animated Series

Looks a bit like it, though I'm not very familiar with the show.

To be honest, Batman was always the most compelling of the classic super heros, especially when they played up the vigilante/not always quite a perfect good guy thing.

He's like the opposite of so many things that bug me about superman. Superman is too perfect, too over the top. And while I get that's sort of the point I could never get into it.

Metropolis bothers me a little. For a city supposedly rife with crime of a calibre that requires the aid of an invulnerable demi-god everything is too shiny and clean. It's a lot of white on blue colouring, bright and untarnished buildings and people, and then the odd thug dumb enough to pull something emerges like a rat that's managed to climb its way out of the Howard Hughe's sterile shower drain. Even Superman's nemesis looks like Mr. Fucking Clean.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    By "addicts" I really just mean anyone who uses a drug that messed up the organs.

Right, and someone who fucks up their liver with tylenol because they're using it much more than the list people deem necessary will probably not get another liver.

Besides which, I'm pretty sure telling someone who fucked their liver up with acetaminophen to use ibuprofen will work a lot more consistently than telling someone who fucked their liver up with alcohol to stop drinking.
    Tylenol can cause liver damage even at the recommended dose.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Its disgusting. I mean I know the nature of shit, but the way healthcare is up for the highest bidder is god damn scary.

I read a book a couple weeks back by an imbedded journalist. Four top level Yakuzza guys came over to the states, and went pretty much straight to the top of the list for liver transplants. Fucked up man.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I destroyed my tact with internets.

I tried to get a transplant, but they said I did it to myself.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

He fell down a well. Thankfully his dog managed to find Eddy and lead him back to Noc's rescue. As a reward for its faithful service, they had the dog for BBQ.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »
    The Spirit was a great movie when I was in University and soulcrushingly homesick, which I saw multiple times in theaters over winter break

after dropping out, coming home, perking up and buying the DVD it became apparent the movie shines brightest when every other aspect of the viewer's life is dark as Morgan Freeman's asshole.

The Spirit was God-fucking awful.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I always figured it was the gay agenda that did it to you. Might be a chicken and the egg situation.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    the spirit had fairly enjoyable trailers, though

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I always figured it was the gay agenda that did it to you. Might be a chicken and the egg situation.

you're thinking of Gay Bowel Syndrome

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Leitner wrote: »

I read a book a couple weeks back by an imbedded journalist. Four top level Yakuzza guys came over to the states, and went pretty much straight to the top of the list for liver transplants. Fucked up man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMK1gcgI6f8

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

He fell down a well. Thankfully his dog managed to find Eddy and lead him back to Noc's rescue. As a reward for its faithful service, they had the dog for BBQ.

Then Than scolded everyone with a rolling pin in one hand and flour all over his apron.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Spirit was the thing with black nazi (Blazi) Samuel L Jackson, right?

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    the spirit had fairly enjoyable T&A, though

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Then Than scolded everyone with a rolling pin in one hand and flour all over his apron.

are you calling Than a mammy?!?!?!

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Scarlet Johansson, Paz Vega, Jaime King, Stana Katic, Eva Mendes

goddamn

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

are you calling Than a mammy?!?!?!

IDK it just seemed to fit the Lassy thing.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011

I'm having trouble finding evidence of that, all I can find says that overdoses are one of the leading causes of acute liver failure, which is somewhat different from chronically damaging it with ethanol.

And again, there is likely a serious difference in prognosis of someone given a liver transplant and told to use a different painkiller and a heavy drinker given a liver transplant and told not to drink.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    In order to cause liver damage with tylenol, you have to overdose really badly. You'd never get that far trying to use it as an analgesic, it has to be an intentional overdose or a really bizarre unintentional one, like, mistaking tylenol for M&Ms or something.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yeah, but there's run-of-the-mill awful where you just sit there, bored and vaguely annoyed.

Then there's The Spirit awful where you're stunned into watching since you cannot comprehend how such a multi-car pileup of a movie ever got made, let alone released by a major movie stuido.

It's like Frank Miller had about five different ideas for what the tone of a Spirit movie should be, filmed all of them, and edited them together at random.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Yeah, but there's run-of-the-mill awful where you just sit there, bored and vaguely annoyed.

Then there's The Spirit awful where you're stunned into watching since you cannot comprehend how such a multi-car pileup of a movie ever got made, let alone released by a major movie stuido.

It's like Frank Miller had about five different ideas for what the tone of a Spirit movie should be, filmed all of them, and edited them together at random.

Sometimes that gives you Comfortably Numb, and other times you get The Spirit.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Spirit just failed to hit that sweet spot of campiness vs. quality writing to make it actually watchable. It was a valiant effort.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

ehhhhh

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's funny, I picked up this trade paperback full of stories of The Spirit done by Will Eisner fans and colleagues, and none of them were anything like Frank Miller's film. The Spirit was not an invincible zombie(?), nor was his nemesis the Octopus, and there wasn't any ultra violence. He was a lot more like the Green Hornet except poor and lacking the cool sidekick.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Frank Miller did some fucked up fan fiction, basically

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just got cologne in my mouth

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    I just got cologne in my mouth

No transplant for you, junkie.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    huh

I'd thought the spirit was another adaptation of a frank miller thing, not frank miller adapting someone else's thing

that's kinda weird

Elendil on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's funny, I picked up this trade paperback full of stories of The Spirit done by Will Eisner fans and colleagues, and none of them were anything like Frank Miller's film. The Spirit was not an invincible zombie(?), nor was his nemesis the Octopus, and there wasn't any ultra violence. He was a lot more like the Green Hornet except poor and lacking the cool sidekick.

But judging from the trailer, the new Green Hornet movie is poor and lacking any cool characters whatsoever.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011

It's kind of amazing

Frank Miller has spent literally his entire career talking about how big an influence Eisner was on him and his career and he took his one golden opportunity to show Eisner off to the world and instead inserted all his own fetishes and weird shit instead

Here is a comic that does in one page what Miller failed to do in a two-hour movie:
    spv2_3_26_27_400.jpg

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

But judging from the trailer, the new Green Hornet movie is poor and lacking any cool characters whatsoever.

Oh no, you're confused. The new Green Hornet movie wasn't a Green Hornet movie, it was Pineapple Express 2.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Good craic at the pantomime tonight.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I found Green Hornet to be an enjoyable action comedy.

Incenjucar on
This discussion has been closed.