Options

[Internet Dating] Travelling is really boring

• Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Corvus wrote: »
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Or it makes it look like you don't want to be recognized for some reason. Like maybe you aren't actually single.

This is what I'm getting at. It raises the following questions and potentially more.

* Is this person ashamed of their appearance?
    * Are they in worse shape than they claim to be?
    * Are they trying to conceal their activities from a significant other who would not be cool with them.
    * And, do they not understand that physical attraction is a huge part of dating?

In all respects, if you're going to do internet dating, I think you have to go with the "here I am, I'm awesome" mentality and present your whole self.

It's funny, because I usually hate self-promotion. But I do watch How I Met Your Mother. Many sticking points answered by simply asking WWBSD.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    Or it makes it look like you don't want to be recognized for some reason. Like maybe you aren't actually single.

This is what I'm getting at. It raises the following questions and potentially more.

* Are they trying to conceal their activities from a significant other who would not be cool with them.
    * And, do they not understand that physical attraction is a huge part of dating?

In all respects, if you're going to do internet dating, I think you have to go with the "here I am, I'm awesome" mentality and present your whole self.

It's funny, because I usually hate self-promotion. But I do watch How I Met Your Mother. Many sticking points answered by simply asking WWBSD.

To fit with the "theme", just go with WWBD. :P

[Edit]
    Anyone who gets confused and wonders what Barney Rubble would do is worth that clarification conversation anyway, on sheer humour-value alone! :D

LaOs on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arg. Second time in a row where I message a girl, she responds with a great message and finishes by asking me what I have planned for the weekend, I send her back a message and then don't hear from her.

Guess it's some progress.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    LaOs wrote: »

To fit with the "theme", just go with WWBD. :P

[Edit]
    Anyone who gets confused and wonders what Barney Rubble would do is worth that clarification conversation anyway, on sheer humour-value alone! :D

DUH. STEAL FRED'S PEBBLES.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Self promotion is not my favourite thing either, but in this venue, I've had to get over it. Gotta communicate the message that you like yourself.

Also, one of the three ladies I was talking to sent me a message saying she's met someone she's going to pursue things with and deactivating her profile. I hadn't even met her yet, but it was cool that she closed off the conversation in a classy manner.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    milehigh wrote: »
    riz wrote: »
    Yeah I think you've got it right. The worst that happens is someone who wasn't going to reply anyway thinks you're creepy. But if you weren't creepy about it then even that shouldn't be the case. And you never know when things will just disappear into the internets never to be heard from again.

I think that has to be your approach. I've written several random poems to girls never to be heard from again. I just take it as having been 'absorbed by the internet.' The one Suess ballad I wrote hit a major tone with a girll, and we're getting together next Thursday. As much as I might invest in a piece I have to concede that people will hate it wtih a passion.

Dear milehigh,

You had me at 'Suess ballad'.

Yours in awesomeness,

Sarcastro.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lalilulelo wrote: »
    Yeah, like fat girls who don't have a body shot. Deception is not attractive.

Heh, this frustrates me, because on one hand I would never want to deal with that, I don't know WHAT people are thinking when they put up only misleading photos. "I'll get him/her on the hook and then it will be too late!" But who would want to deal with an awkward first date when you show up and one or both of you is not at all what was expected?

At the same time, I don't exactly go around having full-length photos taken of me often. Ever. And there are few things less flattering (and arguably less realistic) than in-the-bathroom-mirror full self-portraits.

riz on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, but cameras are in everything nowadays, a lack of at least a picture of you from the waste up is odd, and if you have 5 pictures up, all from the neck up, or with 'the angles,' I'm probably not gonna message you.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well at least OKCupid has the details tab on the side. Now if there's angle shots/no body shots and that particular detail is blank I wouldn't message not because of not being attracted to plus sized, but because there's clearly some image problems there.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Agreed. I don't mind a little extra, but a cute face and big tits help for the chunky girls. What? I'm just saying it out loud.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Heh, this frustrates me, because on one hand I would never want to deal with that, I don't know WHAT people are thinking when they put up only misleading photos. "I'll get him/her on the hook and then it will be too late!" But who would want to deal with an awkward first date when you show up and one or both of you is not at all what was expected?

At the same time, I don't exactly go around having full-length photos taken of me often. Ever. And there are few things less flattering (and arguably less realistic) than in-the-bathroom-mirror full self-portraits.

It's not too hard to just ask a friend to take a picture of you.

Corvus on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So many women in my area have those deceptive shots. Zug zug.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

TECHNICALLY for me it is because I live in a different city from any of my RL friends. That's not an excuse for everyone, of course. :3

riz on
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

TECHNICALLY for me it is because I live in a different city from any of my RL friends. That's not an excuse for everyone, of course. :3
    With a bit of care and either a tripod or someplace to rest it (indoors, bookshelves work great), you can probably manage a decent picture from any digital camera with a timer. There's going to be a fair amount of trial and error involved in it though, but that's what digital cameras are for.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Coworker? Fellow student? Ask a cute guy? :winky:

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hah, that would be an entertaining approach to talking to someone.

riz on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Had that happen to me. She was cute... had a great head shot, upper body shot... said she was "curvy". I guess that's true if the curve is a ninety-degree angle at the waist all the way around and then rounds out five inches from the waist. I could have set a seven course meal on the "bubble butt" that stuck out from her waist. Ugh. So not attractive and so pissed off that she would lie about that.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am pretty sure that everyone ends up going on one of those dates at some point that does internet dating.

I remember back in the day going out with a girl I met online who ended up being no where near what she described. I am not a small guy, and I understand that, but when a girl is 5" shorter and 100lbs heavier than me... I'm sorry, this isn't what I signed up for.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You're obese, AND a liar! CHECK PLEASE.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, happened to me in quite a few dates. It's gotten to the point that I've developed a suspicion of girls who do not have full-body shots in their profiles.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TimmyTimmy Rank: Major Floating in my tin can.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I went on a date not too long ago where they had plenty of pictures and full-body shots on their profile but it was not the same person that I ended up meeting. The girl I met up with, and the girl that was on the profile, were both pretty but didn't look even a little bit similar. I asked her about it and she admitted that it was her sister in all of the photos! It was really weird and I just have no idea why anyone would do that.

Timmy on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Timmy wrote: »
    I went on a date not too long ago where they had plenty of pictures and full-body shots on their profile but it was not the same person that I ended up meeting. The girl I met up with, and the girl that was on the profile, were both pretty but didn't look even a little bit similar. I asked her about it and she admitted that it was her sister in all of the photos! It was really weird and I just have no idea why anyone would do that.
    Alright, that's just odd.

How was she as a person? I mean, any other unusual quirks you discovered on the date? Was there a second date after that?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It would be hard for me to ask for someone to take a picture since they would ask why? but then I really don't talk to many people.

Most of the messages I get are wow you are tall or something along those lines so I had to remove the picture that showed how tall I was to a certain mail box

Brainleech on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've been talking to this girl for over a month and yesterday we were talking about jobs. I felt she was, basically, saying that because she is getting called by employers and I am not, that she is somehow better than me. She asked if she could work on my resume, because her resume is obviously better than mine.

This made me re-evaluate our relationship and it's apparent that my feelings for her have lessened. I shared this with her last night and despite her insistence that she did not mean to sound like she was better than me, I cannot seem to shake this negative feeling.

I'm not sure if my feelings for her will return. I'm hoping they do.

Slider on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hah, that would be an entertaining approach to talking to someone.

I say go for it.
    I totally would be too chicken to try it.

Corvus on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Every internet date save for one girl I met in Texas was overweight and looked nothing like the photo. Toronto, even though there's been some dry spells, has come through me time and time again. They either look like the photo or better.

This is probably because Texas is one of the fattest states in North America, and women are notoriously picky down there because a lot of the guys in the lone star are juicin'.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Slider wrote: »
    I've been talking to this girl for over a month and yesterday we were talking about jobs. I felt she was, basically, saying that because she is getting called by employers and I am not, that she is somehow better than me. She asked if she could work on my resume, because her resume is obviously better than mine.

This made me re-evaluate our relationship and it's apparent that my feelings for her have lessened. I shared this with her last night and despite her insistence that she did not mean to sound like she was better than me, I cannot seem to shake this negative feeling.

I'm not sure if my feelings for her will return. I'm hoping they do.

If you're talking about a technical position like Engineering or whatever, it's pretty simple why this is happening.

First, the employer will look at all the students with 4.0's GPA and resumes so exceptional that it's justifiable for the resume to be more then 1 page long.

Then they'll look at all the women who applied.

Then they'll start looking at average Joe's with experience.

Lastly they'll look at average Joe without any experience.

So basically, average guys who done average in class are basically looked at and called last.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    AgesAges Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ohshi, I sent a message to a girl I found to be very intriguing over a month ago and she actually responded yesterday night. D: Was not expecting that.

I also got another message at around the same time -- a younger girl I had been chatting up with just asked me to get some coffee with her. Woo...

This may be the first and only time I've ever gotten two actual messages in the mailbox. Lucky day for Ages!

Ages on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It would be hard for me to ask for someone to take a picture since they would ask why? but then I really don't talk to many people.

If you're just looking to get a couple general body shots and not get all crazy with it, maybe go hit something in your area that tourists check out? Nobody will think anything of it if you ask them to take your picture there, they'll just think you're a solo tourist.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »

If you're just looking to get a couple general body shots and not get all crazy with it, maybe go hit something in your area that tourists check out? Nobody will think anything of it if you ask them to take your picture there, they'll just think you're a solo tourist.

Bam, problem solved, this is one of those "so obvious I can't believe I didn't think of it" things.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »

And then it would look like you actually go out and do stuff rather than being a shut in!

It's a win win really.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    In before someone runs off with his camera and we feel bad for encouraging this brilliant idea.

riz on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    In before someone runs off with his camera and we feel bad for encouraging this brilliant idea.

Such a pessimist.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    TimmyTimmy Rank: Major Floating in my tin can.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Richy wrote: »
    Timmy wrote: »
    Alright, that's just odd.

How was she as a person? I mean, any other unusual quirks you discovered on the date? Was there a second date after that?

She seemed like a really kind person but she agreed with pretty much anything that I said in a way that seemed like it wouldn't matter what I said and she'd still agree. She was also on edge throughout the date; her eyes were darting around all over the place. I did not try for a second date.

Timmy on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You should be able to easily take a picture of yourself given that most modern cameras have timers. As long as you can set it down at the right angle you should be fine.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've always thought it would be funny to put up 3 photos:

best angle

normal angle

WORST PHOTO EVER

So prospective dates can triangulate your hotness

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What's this quickmatch business? I just got an e-mail saying someone rated me 4 or 5 and if I can pick out who it was in a line-up they'll send a message to both of us that's pretty much "Congratulations you totally might like each other!" My question here would have to be, WHY DID THEY TURN THIS INTO A GAME? Shit I feel like I'm competing now.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    "A little bit extra" should be removed entirely. You're about as fat as I am, and 60 pounds is not a little bit extra.

In unrelated news, I'm glad I sent that extra message, as things are going fantastically with this girl.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I decided to give online dating a shot, as my current pool of women to choose from consists of girls that my close friends are in love with, making them off limits. Anyway, I made an account on OKC. Anyone want to give me some tips? Would YOU date me? Do I come across as an asshole?

Tell me, eh?

acadia on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    "A little bit extra" should be removed entirely. You're about as fat as I am, and 60 pounds is not a little bit extra.

In unrelated news, I'm glad I sent that extra message, as things are going fantastically with this girl.

Nice! I'm convinced that fortune favors the bold (and polite). My gf told me, after we started dating, that it was my impulsive late-night IM that worked. It showed active interest, and providing a firm time/date made her life a lot easier (or in her words, "I'm sick of having to ask myself out").

Also, we're now officially bf/gf, which is pretty cool :winky:

sanstodo on