As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magicka] Murder yourself with magic.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh man. Yeah, that pretty much nails it.

Drake on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arrath wrote: »
    Yeah, thats pretty much spot on.

A number of times now I've tried to heal my ally only to zap him, freeze him, set him on fire, knock him off a cliff, block him outside a bubble shield...

How do you set up a bubble shield anyway.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    AoE the shield, so shift right click.

This works with all shield powers, so ring of fire, earth, lightning beams, storm clouds, etc.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, this is hilarious if you haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ1A6PZQJjc&feature=related

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    AoE the shield, so shift right click.

This works with all shield powers, so ring of fire, earth, lightning beams, storm clouds, etc.

Oh of course. That makes sense, thanks.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OH MY GOD THIS GAME

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Steam group better be named "Jim Darkmagic's school of Magicka" or something similar or I am going to cast rain when I see you queue up lighting.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You're a horrible person.

[tiny]Totally going to try that[/tiny]

Arrath on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shocking freeze beams.

How badass is that?

Drake on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Holy hell I made.. eggs that sit in the ground and heal you when you run over them? Are you serious right now?

AoE Cast Life + Life + Shield.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    They heal like 1500 as well, its crazy.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know if it's timed or what, but I played for 56minutes and was fighting what I think was the first boss type enemy when it was like "Buy This!"

And I was like "Ok will there be 4pax?"

I think it just does that when you take of a certain amount of the bosses health.

Yeah, happened to me when I got the boss down to 30 or so percent.
    It's timed I believe. I never made it to dragon boss. So, when you use the sword of masters while at full health it shoots a beam. The beam is a round circle from a link to the past<3.

A useful spell to use is shield+arcane+(element)+AoE, it creates a field of mines. The more arcane you have the more mines you get.

Edit: For those wondering how to enchant your sword. Hold shift and left click when you cast a spell. The next time you attack with your sword it will be magical. If you enchant it with a barrier and a element spell then it fires a barrier across the ground that will damage enemies.

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    Shocking freeze beams.

How badass is that?

I found this by mistake when trying to caste haste in a hurry.

I no longer needed haste afterwards, because this spell makes trolls your bitch.

Life+Shield makes those fantastic healing mines.

Rock+Shield+Element of your choice gives a wall of rock that spews forth said element.

Water+Shield creates a cloud of rain which will wet monsters for you to then electrocute.

Lightning+Shield creates an arc of lightning in front of you, especially fun if cast immediately behind above spell.

Why is this game not out yet?

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Jesus I keep raping my own ass with lightning.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shield+Ice+Lightning creates an ice wall that shocks enemies. I love imbuing this into the sword.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, this game is pretty fun. And preordered.

I found myself using lightning + arcane + fire a lot, as it kills stuff nicely.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Their Concept Art is pretty fantastic.
    block_2.png

attack_2.png

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man one of the imps/goblins grabbed and ran me through my own electric wall :oops:

Peas on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Peas wrote: »
    Man one of the imps/goblins grabbed and ran me through my own electric wall :oops:

Yes. All the goddamn time. I stopped using the full circle electric wall. Too easy to get trapped. Also, Shift-Right Click without any magic to get them off you. Or with magic works too.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Is it just me or can being grabbed interrupt your spellcasting? Sometimes I could do an AOE spell to break free, but other times it didn't seem to cast at all.

Peewi on
  • Options
    MorrandirMorrandir Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So you want to be a wizard?
    A guide to basic magicks

(Spoilering for you people who like discovery)
    The first thing to note is that there is apparently a sort of diminishing returns system in place. Casting 5 arcanes into a beam is exceptionally powerful, but it's not as powerful as casting 1 arcane beam 5 times. While not correct, it's easiest to remember consecutive charges' power levels in terms of "5 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 1" and such. Much experimenting is needed to get the right numbers down. You'll be fine as long as you just remember that when making a mixed spell, you're probably best off with only 1 or 2 charges of a specific element, unless you need as much of X as possible.

Secondly, there are two hidden elements; steam and ice. The former is formed by a water and fire charge, the latter by water and frost. Casting the third combo element (For example: Water, Frost, (Forms Ice), Fire) will undo the change and leave you with a single water charge.

Now, the most important thing to remember is how the elements interact. Here's a little chart, even.
    eTD7K.jpg

Red marks are cancellations: Putting both of these in a spell will remove both of them. This is a good way to fix botched spells before you explode yourself or your teammates. Shield is unique in that it cancels itself, which also means you can only ever have 1 charge of it in a spell. Green marks are combinations: Casting both will make them fuse into a new element, as explained above.

Now, in actual casting, mixing elements is a bad idea. An explosively bad one. Watch what your teammates prefer hurling around and plan accordingly.

Of the elements, three have status effects that go along with them: Water will soak creatures, causing Lightning spells to deal more damage, as well as preventing charging of Lightning spells by the wet. And by prevent I mean "Shock them every time they try." Fire will ignite anything struck, causing a diminishing-over-time damage effect. Frost will slow targets. These three also interact with the environment: Frost will freeze water, fire will thaw it, water will extinguish fires.

What about the others? Well, they don't so much have status effects as special effects. Lightning will show you the wireframe skeleton of whatever you're zapping, Arcane will make things explode if it's the killing blow, Heal harms undead (And Arcane heals them), and Earth changes attacks into charged projectiles.

Shaping Spells

There are 4 different ways to cast a spell: Normally, on self, AoE, and on weapon. Each makes spells behave very differently: For example. A pure Arcane spell will, in order, fire in a beam, explode you (bad), explode aroundyou (good), and give you a powerful, long-reaching melee attack. In addition, spells act wildly differently depending on mixture, most notably if you toss Shield into the casting.

The following spells change the design of a spell, in order of what will take precedence for spell shape:
    Shield
    Earth
    Ice
    Arcane/Heal
    Lightning
    Everything else

Shield-typed spells will form a barrier of sorts, Earth will turn them into a charged projectile, Ice will hurl shards machine gun style, Arcane/Heal creates a beam, and Lightning remains the same, just with the effects of the others added to it.

Casting a spell on a weapon will cause it to use the spell, either in an arc in front of you, or a line-based area of effect. Shield causes a short, long-lasting line, Earth causes a long, short-lasting line, Ice will form a massive vertically-striking blade, Arcane/Heal will create a sweeping arc, and Lightning will still shoot out of the weapon, though not as powerfully or long-ranged as a normally-casted spell of the same makeup. Weapon-casting spells is a good way to store a powerful spell without slowing down to a crawl during travel. In addition, spells can be added to a weapon if it still has "room," but opposing elements still cancel. For example: You cast 3 charges of Lightning and add it to your sword. Later on, you feel like adding 2 Fire. They will be added to the 3 Lightnings without issue. If, however, you try to add 2 Water, you will end up with a single Lightning charge. So remember what you have on that sword!

Fun combos
    Most spell effects are easy to figure out: If you put lightning and fire together, you get lightning that sets them on fire. Simple enough. But some are more abstract.

Shield + whatever except earth or ice, self cast: This gives you protection from the element in question. For the duration of it, you can't be affected by it. More elemental charges give a longer-lasting shield. If you cast protection from water, you won't get wet, protection from lightning, you won't explode when your overly destructive teammate does a Rain + 5 charge Lightning combo. There is, however, one very bad thing to cast: Protection from Healing. Yes, it's a thing. It prevents you from being healed, and your team will laugh at you when you do it while trying to heal yourself before tossing up your personal shield.

Reflection: Shield (Of any kind!) + beam = ricochet. Fun times are had if some idiot does this inside a full bubble, even more good times when a teammate bank shots a goblin with a beam off your personal shield. Less good times if he tries this as your shield goes down. (Note: This is based off my observations with enemy casters shooting beams at me, they do bounce off. Testing is needed to see if this works from players on players.)

Shield + earth or ice, self cast: As opposed to just a protection spell, this actually encases you in the element in question. Good for buying time to prep another spell, but prevents you from attacking. This is a preferable spell to the bubble if enemies are too close to keep them outside. Earth version needs testing, but the ice type will damage melee attackers on occasion. I believe both damage nearby enemies when they are cast.

Earth, self cast: For extra hilarity to any situation, add random rock falling from sky onto wizard.

A note on shields
    When nearby a barrier-type shield (AoE, Weapon cast, or arc, but not personal), you will see "Boost (keyprompt)." Spam this key to increase the shield's health, buying you more time to prepare spells. Shields can be taken down by damage, so if your jerk friend traps you in one, smack it down. For personal shields, healing will "repair" them (But not heal the wizard if he's hurt, his shield must be down to heal him), or you can just cast Shield on self twice to dispel it and then summon a fresh one.

Morrandir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh neat, I just realised you can push grenades back at the goblin bombers when you run into them at the ship.

And then follow it up with a beam of arcane fire to make them all explode.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You left out Shield Boosting. I see it pop up when I drop a shield, and the site says:

SHIELD
    • Protective Shield
    • Can be boosted
    • Opposite to Shield

But I've no idea what it means, or how you do it.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    MorrandirMorrandir Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Right, I'll get that added. To sum it up, boosting means you stand still and do nothing, but the shield will become stronger. Done by spamming the key.

Morrandir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Morrandir's guide added to OP

Blain on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This game sounds hilarious. Imma see if I can convince my friends to grab the demo tonight.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    MegaMek wrote: »
    This game sounds hilarious. Imma see if I can convince my friends to grab the demo tonight.

You should note that the demo doesn't have multiplayer. This however, can be fixed by convincing your friends to buy the game.

I fully expect that people will be posting here to find games as soon as it unlocks. At least I will.

Peewi on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dudes, does this have LAN support in the full version? Please say yes.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

You should note that the demo doesn't have multiplayer. This however, can be fixed by convincing your friends to buy the game.

I fully expect that people will be posting here to find games as soon as it unlocks. At least I will.

Ah, I had hoped it would. Regardles, they probably won't be sold on my descriptions alone. What's the pricetag here?

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i aint readin no guides gonna find out everythign the hard way

M.D. on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

Ah, I had hoped it would. Regardles, they probably won't be sold on my descriptions alone. What's the pricetag here?

You can apparently play two player if you have a controller set up alongside the keyboard.

Kelor on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What's the button for imbuing your sword with a spell?

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Alegis wrote: »
    What's the button for imbuing your sword with a spell?

Shift+click, the same as swinging the sword.
    Kelor wrote: »
    You can apparently play two player if you have a controller set up alongside the keyboard.

I guess I could try it out myself later and find out, but how the hell would you play this game with a controller. Unless they have some fancy element picking radial menu, they'd have to use all the face and shoulder buttons just for the elements.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There are way too many ARPGs this year. Way too many.

Between this, Torchlight 2, Diablo 3 and Dungeon Siege 3 I think I will have to cut on my precious free time.

C2B on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I do hope the checkpoint system is not an example of the final content, otherwise I won't be buying.

Other than that it's a very fun game.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It lives up to the RPS article, I think, but holy crap is it a slideshow on my laptop, with all both ( :? ) of the graphics options besides resolution turned to Low. Will be sadly passing for now...

Jazz on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So it's confirmed: Steam version now, non-Steam version later. 2 Versions cannot mp together, non-Steam version will feature online and LAN play that is independent of Steam.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    C2B wrote: »
    There are way too many ARPGs this year. Way too many.

Between this, Torchlight 2, Diablo 3 and Dungeon Siege 3 I think I will have to cut on my precious free time.

And Dungeon Defenders! I was eagerly looking forward to that, then this comes along. Now I will have two cartoony action games to play!
    squee

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    So it's confirmed: Steam version now, non-Steam version later. 2 Versions cannot mp together, non-Steam version will feature online and LAN play that is independent of Steam.

Two PC versions that can't play together seems like a bad idea. Someone tell them that they can sell Steam games on other download services and that some other developers does so.

Peewi on