As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Universe Online] Now Free-to-Play! Lightning Strikes DLC now available, zappy zappy.

• Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    I went ahead and jumped into an established league, Rising Legends. They're pretty large with raids and alerts always going on. If you are looking for a league, I highly recommend them.

Even if a big league isn't your thing, feel free to hit me up on Hellspeed or Grey Gyrfalcon to run Alerts and stuff.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Ok well, I'm not in any leagues, but here are my characters if you want to run alerts or duos or all that junk

Heroes
    Star Ember
    Vera Dion
    Major Dynamo

Villains
    Trap Shot
    Ensorcelle

Joolander on
  • Options
    GinpachiGinpachi Registered User regular
    Woo, just hit level 30! I really, really love this game. Not sure what to do now but guess I'll start collecting marks and aim for that sweet Lex Luthor set.

• Options
    so, Update 17 is coming soon

dcuniverseonline.com/news/archive.vm?id=133&month=072012&locale=en_US

among other things, Mental and Gadgets power sets are getting a major overhaul, which is good because a lot of the powers were either redundant, boring, didn't work half the time, or just had overly specific animations (like Gag Glove or Clown Box)

bunkerbuster.jpg

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    I recently got into this game. Took a bit to get the hang of the shitty UI and the character creation pales in comparison to other superhero MMOs, but overall the game is pretty fun. I'm about level 8 now and really enjoying it. Can I get in the guild now? Or whatever they're called in this game.

My main is Doctor Freese.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't think anyone left playing is actually high enough rank in the League to invite people

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    Well maybe someone who is high enough to do promotions can log in for a few minutes and, you know, make some promotions. :P

How many people are still in the league? It'd probably be better to seek out a league elsewhere. But then that risks running into a group of douches... Not something I really enjoy in MMOs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    i finally uninstalled this game. Wohooo.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Housing..er, I mean lair, expansion is out today! =)

• Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Hello fellows. I play this game in addition to other SOE. I'm a hero, PC, Gadgets/Dual Wield. Level 30 with full t1 sets for DPS and 'trollin and currently roll CR 46ish. Do any of you play PC and can Maybe get me into a league for 2-4 man runs and some learning of PvP?

I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I actually installed this game on a whim over the weekend, jumped in and made a character. So far I haven't even gotten out of the tutorial "escape the alien ship" mission because the combat and atmosphere is really not gripping me. I assume it gets better, so I might try again, but with so many other games around to play I'm not sure that this holds up at all.

Are there any particularly fun powersets that might grab my attention?

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    I like Mind / Martial Arts / Dual Pistols and Gadgets / Rifle / Shield (eventually) myself.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I'm still playing

Joined a new, smallish but friendly league, The Revengencers

look me up: Star Ember in game, CR77 fire tank

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Is this worth checking out? I kind of got the urge to play super hero dress up and city of heroes isn't an option anymore

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    personally, I love it. But a few things you should know:

- this game is really built with the PS3 or players using a controller in mind. its perfectly playable with KBaM, but in my opinion, if you don't have a controller, I suggest getting one
    - the Level cap is 30. you can reach this in about a week or two. after that, leveling is dependent on either getting better gear -- which raises your CR (Combat Rating) -- or on getting more skill points. more on that in a bit
    - levels 1-30 are mostly solo, which is why it doesn't really feel "multiplayer" at first. you are free to join a league, do PvP, group up for solo content, whatever. Up until 30 the focus of the game is on solo content
    - abilities are broken down into 2 groups, Powers, and Skills. Powers are dependent on what you choose at character creation. Skills are based on what movement mode you pick and what weapon you use. you can unlock more weapons later, but you start with one. You will get a total of 15 powers (once every 2 levels), but there is no cap on skills. You'll get at least 15 skills in the process of leveling (it alternates with your powers), and you get more by doing Feats (essentially, Achievements): 100 Feat points = 1 skill point. and there are a whole mess of feats
    - At first, you will find the character creator lacking. most of the initial choices are very basic spandex or other bland options. this along 3 body types each gender and 9 body sizes, and only 3 colors for your costume will feel restrictive compared to CoH. but as you go through the game, you will unlock more styles through gear drops, and you can change your costume at any time, without changing your gear

It's different from CoH or Champions Online, and I suggest taking advantage of the Free to Play offer at first

if you decide you like it, thats when you sub

Joolander on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    how restricted are you as a free player?

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    umm, you are limited to $1500 at any one time (anything extra goes into "escrow" which you can pay a micro-transaction to access), you have to go into "server queues" (which means you wait like 30 seconds to log in, instead of instantly), your only get 2 free character slots (you can buy more), a half size inventory (you can buy more space), you are limited in your chatting frequency, and you cant make a League (guild) but you can join one, and some of the daily & weekly drops become weekly & monthly

if you ever spend at least $5 cumulative (like buying a DLC or any of the micro-transactions) you get bumped up to Premium, which is $2000 before escrow, 6 free character slots, and a slightly bigger inventory. also, you'll never go back down to Free

honestly, the only thing that the $1500 limit keeps you from is using the auction house, because anything you'd actually want is at least $100k. The only in game vendor thing you'd be kept from in game is higher-tiered crafting items, but you can trade other players for those anyway if you put in the legwork

also, Legendary (subscribed) players get free "Station Cash" (its what you buy DLC and other microtransactions with) every month, along with things like free replay badges and other stuff, and automatic access to all DLC

Joolander on
  • Options
    man, the client download for this is slow

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Hey guys.

Just to the people still playing, if you want me to put ANYTHING into the OP. Just tell me. Want me to change the title? Tell me! I don't play this anymore but I'm the OP so :<

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I do have to warn you that the character creator is... umm... spartan. There are a lot more costume and skin pieces in game you get as drops, quest rewards, from investigations, from the shop, etc. but the starting stuff is pretty generic. Nowhere near as good as CoH or even CO.

• Options
    honestly the combat and character builds seem interesting and I do enjoy the DC universe, so I'll probably play for at least a little while. I don't necessarily mind getting costume bits in the form of gear drops or whatever as long as they don't require a ton of frustrating grinding.

To be honest CoX had a lot of options but at I thought probably at least half of them were awful, so I'm not too worried about that

now, if only the downloader would let me pull this down faster than like, 100kb/s I'd really be getting somewhere

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    ExpigatorExpigator Registered User regular
    Finally found this thread...of course looking in the MMO sub-genre woulda been a good place to look.

I just got this game the other week and friggin love it! Was a WOW guy during it's heyday but now don't have the time or energy to invest in something so massive. ARPGs just don't have the same character growth for me that MMOs do so I was looking for something. This being free to play was awesome! Then i quickly realized that my fire hulk wasn't the right style, so I subbed to get the xpacs and EARTH! Man it's fun.

I'm playing on the PC cause i dont have a PS3, which is a shame cause I can see how a controller would be helpful. I've always wanted an MMO on Xbox Live, thought it'd be great to get away from the requirements of PC hardware. I can totally see how a controller would be helpful though because the whole click, click, click hold style of combat can be tricky to master.

The joining of superheroes and MMOs is plain genius. I've never tried COH, but dammit fighting alongside Superman is pretty awesome. And I can't believe how many people still play this! The newbie zone had people running all over.

I love the style of the game, very comic booky but also pretty decent graphics. Cut scenes and story have been enjoyable but not at the forefront. The missions and the movement around the city are fantastic though. I haven't hit 30 on any character but I keep remaking them to try out different styles. Of course being a Marvel guy i'm "that guy" making Hulk, Deadpool and IronMan comparables.

Anyways, thought I'd throw it out there. Fun game, easy to pick up. May have to get a PS3 to play more...anyone know if subscriptions transfer between PC and PS3? And where the hell is Marvel Ultimate Online!

"Look out here comes"..."Susan"..."Suuuuuuuuuuuuusan".
    "Woah, I just scared myself!"
  • Options
    so, the download finally finished last night and I got to play with this a bit this morning. It's pretty fun, and definitely scratches the city of heroes itch.

I had a re-introduction to my least favorite part of that game: coming up with a neat character then having every name you ever think of be taken (especially with free accounts, I imagine people squat a lot.) I found a couple I was happy with though.

I definitely see what you mean when you say the game would feel more natural with a gamepad; the hold -> click combos are pretty touchy with the mouse, especially the way it seems like you're supposed to string them together. The combat also seemed a bit awkward because my moveset was a weird combination of ranged and melee attacks (at least, with pistols.) I felt like I had to spend kind of a lot of time manually closing distance, but maybe that clears up as you unlock more abilities.

as an aside, does anybody know if they hired away some of the CoX artists or something? Cause a lot of the stock costume bits look like they were straight cribbed. I'm not complaining, it just kind of made me chuckle.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    if you have a wired xbox 360 controller, i believe you can just plug it right into your PC

I use a wireless adapter so i can use my wireless 360 controller. so thats also an option

• Options
    bwaaaaaaahhhhhhtttttt?!

Don't have any wired controllers but this game would rock socks with an Xbox controller. Question though...when using a controller does it just assign combat functions and movement or does it have any say in power usage? Basically, do i have to use the keyboard along with the controller in a fight?

I hit my first "wall" last night doing the Joker for the first time at lvl 15. I was probably a level under what I should be but dammit it was the first time I got KO'd in an instance...I really wanted that feat too. Anywho, there are like 3 levels to that fight and i didn't see the damn healing barrels till after it was all said and done!

• Options
    to use powers with a controller:

powers 1-4: hold left trigger then hit a face button
    powers 5-6, soder, & trinket: hold right trigger, hit a face button

for utility belts: hold right trigger, hit A, then hit one more face button

normal attacks, jump & use are face buttons

in short, no you absolutely do not need the keyboard at all for combat if you are using a controller

for some of the menus, KBaM is way easier

• Options
    do people group at all prior to max level? Or is it mostly just solo grinding

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    I haven't seen a single group for Area 51 or any of the smaller instances. Nor have I even attempted PVP though I have a ton of quests telling me to do both.

• Options
    DarcsteelDarcsteel Wildcard NC United StatesRegistered User regular
    Vet of CoH/CoV. Played mastermind before we stopped being squishy. I honestly like the game but the limits on the power sets are a little off putting to me. And I don't mean the weapon skills you can get and customize those like no ones business

My issue is things like making an effective tank you eith explode or turn into an ice monster. I honestly would not mind the ice tank tree at all if it wasnt for the fact that every few attacks turns me into the love child of Ice man and the thing.

Other than that its a great game, just wish the archtypes had more power sets avail to them

• Options
    Darcsteel wrote: »
    Vet of CoH/CoV. Played mastermind before we stopped being squishy. I honestly like the game but the limits on the power sets are a little off putting to me. And I don't mean the weapon skills you can get and customize those like no ones business

My issue is things like making an effective tank you eith explode or turn into an ice monster. I honestly would not mind the ice tank tree at all if it wasnt for the fact that every few attacks turns me into the love child of Ice man and the thing.

Other than that its a great game, just wish the archtypes had more power sets avail to them

they just revamped Ice and Fire last tuesday. Fire DPS is viable for many more builds, and Ice no longer changes into an Ice monster (they just get covered in some frosty crystals)

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Darcsteel wrote: »

they just revamped Ice and Fire last tuesday. Fire DPS is viable for many more builds, and Ice no longer changes into an Ice monster (they just get covered in some frosty crystals)

Waitwaitwait, whaaat?

I liked that power on my Mr. Freeze inspired villain :(

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    from what I understand, (aside from a whole lot of people complaining about the look) there was an issue where you would lag long enough to get yourself killed when it activated (because the game had to load a new player model), and it would be hard to tell when it was about to activate

how true this is, I don't know since I never played ice past like level 10, but thats what the devs said

• Options
    Just got the Microsoft piece to allow me to use the Xbox gamepad with the computer....oh man. It totally changed the game! So much better! Just hit 18 and in a little lull for quests but I should be moving along pretty quick here.

• Options
    can you only ever have six abilities bound at a time? It seems like I should be able to bind more

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    nope, 6 is the max, not including trinkets

• Options
    so do you just wind up with a bunch of abilities that you never use for anything? Even with a damage and an alternate loadout there's tons of random ones

also the keybindings interface goes up to like, 12 or something

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    you will end up with a few powers that you took just to unlock other powers. usually, if you don't need all 15 power points for active powers (most don't) you should take some passive powers from the iconics tree

• Options
    tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    Whelp. Just got back into this again with some friends. I don't know why I love this game but I always come back to it.

• Options
    so yeah, the new DLC is basically Quantum Leap

• Options
    DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    So out of curiosity, for someone looking to maybe give this a whirl sometime, how hard is it to screw yourself over by picking bad powers or whatever? I distinctly recall with CoX you really needed to have a build in mind when you started a character and picked your powersets or you could screw yourself pretty easily.

Furthermore is there anywhere to go to get an idea of what the different abilities for a powerset will end up looking like?