As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Killzone 3] Patches. Patches. PATCHES!

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kill Zone 3?

More like:

Another generic shooter with generic weapons and generic bad guys where you take the lead of another generic tanned hero with generic one liners sporting a generic haircut and stubbles.

The only innovation is that you have a slightly more tanned guy helping you single handily wiping out the population of Mars.

Nice trolling jackass, but this isn't Gametrailers.com.

And I'm not sure how you can bitch about innovation while sporting a Scott Pilgrim sig. Or is it totally okay to like derivative games, just so long as it tries to exploit your nostalgia?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For those of us actually interested in KZ3, Digital Foundry has a really insightful look at the game's tech.

JAEF on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    donhonk wrote: »
    This isn't something I would have expected from the PA community... *shrug*

Unfortunately, it does exist. Anyway, this looks pretty awesome and makes me wish I had a PS3 (well, that and Uncharted and all. Details.).

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Go buy a PS3 and Demon's Souls. Fuck this game, go get Demon's Souls right now and play it you monster.
    Also get Killzone 3

JAEF on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Once I have income again it's certainly on the list. Until then, I watch this thread and stuff.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Once I have income again it's certainly on the list. Until then, I watch this thread and stuff.

No. Do what he says.

Even if you have to earn the money by giving blowjobs in the Olive Garden bathroom.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Take out a loan. Drive yourself into a spiral of debt from which you will never recover.
    Don't do that.
    Unless it's for Demon's Souls.

JAEF on
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mechanical wrote: »

No. Do what he says.

Even if you have to earn the money by giving blowjobs in the Olive Garden bathroom.

all you can eat salad and breadsticks!

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    All the awesome lookingness of killzone 3 and the great reviews it's getting convinced me to spend a couple days this week and go back and actually finish killzone 2. Turns out I didn't have that much of the game left, only 4 levels or so.

Killzone 2's SP is a lot better than I remembered. It still controls like ass but if anybody has it and never bothered finishing it I definitely recommend it, especially since Killzone's 3 SP campaign starts up about 30 seconds after the end of 2. I quite enjoyed finishing it off. Sad no Brian Cox in KZ3 but I do love me some Admiral Tolwyn so it all woks out.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    All the awesome lookingness of killzone 3 and the great reviews it's getting convinced me to spend a couple days this week and go back and actually finish killzone 2. Turns out I didn't have that much of the game left, only 4 levels or so.

Killzone 2's SP is a lot better than I remembered. It still controls like ass but if anybody has it and never bothered finishing it I definitely recommend it, especially since Killzone's 3 SP campaign starts up about 30 seconds after the end of 2. I quite enjoyed finishing it off. Sad no Brian Cox in KZ3 but I do love me some Admiral Tolwyn so it all woks out.

I think the good Mr Cox is still in KZ3, but only as Flashbacks...
    The Emperor is Dead, long live The Emperor!

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

The last boss in Killzone 2 is obnoxious / awful.

If someone goes back to finish Killzone 2, and gets to him, then don't worry about killing him, go look the ending up on youtube and you've saved yourself a whole lot of bother.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I really love Killzone 2's last level, apart from maybe bits of the boss battle. It's just so intense, with a wide enough field that it doesn't feel like they're pushing you down a strict corridor like Call of Duty, there's no silly scripted events and you're constantly fighting to gain ground.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I could never finish KZ2. Anytime I played for over ten minutes I got really bad motion sickness. Never happened with any other game. I wanted to play more too.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I could never finish KZ2. Anytime I played for over ten minutes I got really bad motion sickness. Never happened with any other game. I wanted to play more too.

Have you tried the demo, for killzone 3? And if so, did you find the same problem?

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Haikira wrote: »

Have you tried the demo, for killzone 3? And if so, did you find the same problem?

I'm going to try it today. I'm curious. I honestly have no idea why 2 makes me sick. It just does really well and I can't play it. :(

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    JAEF

Read that you'd be setting up a Clan, has anyone hit you up for starting a list or is it going to wait until the release day?

Cincitucky on
    Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Cincitucky wrote: »
    JAEF

Read that you'd be setting up a Clan, has anyone hit you up for starting a list or is it going to wait until the release day?
    I'll be setting it up tomorrow when I get the game. I threw one together for the beta and got like two people :P

You can PM me on the forums or message me on PSN at the same name for an invite once Tuesday hits.

JAEF on
  • Options
    CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    Cincitucky wrote: »
    JAEF

I'll be setting it up tomorrow when I get the game. I threw one together for the beta and got like two people :P

You can PM me on the forums or message me on PSN at the same name for an invite once Tuesday hits.

Wow. I'd imagine the fact it was a beta is the reason for a weak turnout. Well, you'll be getting a request from me... so that'll make it four. :D

Also threw that out on this thread for the lurkers or semi-lurkers like me.

Thanks.

Cincitucky on
    Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    For KZ2/Resistance I always got a lot more PSN messages than forum messages, just figured it'd be the same for this. Also the beta was rather short and limited, so not a real accurate gauge of PA turnout.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

The last boss in Killzone 2 is obnoxious / awful.

If someone goes back to finish Killzone 2, and gets to him, then don't worry about killing him, go look the ending up on youtube and you've saved yourself a whole lot of bother.
    [smug]I was playing on easy as I just wanted to beat the game so it wasn't a problem[/smug]

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kill Zone 3?

More like:

Another generic shooter with generic weapons and generic bad guys where you take the lead of another generic tanned hero with generic one liners sporting a generic haircut and stubbles.

The only innovation is that you have a slightly more tanned guy helping you single handily wiping out the population of Mars.

Nice trolling jackass, but this isn't Gametrailers.com.

And I'm not sure how you can bitch about innovation while sporting a Scott Pilgrim sig. Or is it totally okay to like derivative games, just so long as it tries to exploit your nostalgia?

Woah, woah. No need to talk shit on Pilgrim, unless maybe we're discussing the game. Cause the comics and movie are great.

The demo for KZ3 sold me on it. I fucking HATED the controls in 2. I got used to them about an hour in but by that last level, I was back to despising them. The controls still have that weight to them, but minus the, I don't know, bullshit of 2.

The best part of 2 was multiplayer. I'm surprised more people haven't stolen the incredible EVERYTHING mode. Such a great way to play every aspect of a multiplayer game.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Re: KZ2 making me sick. I just played through the KZ3 demo and had none of the problems I had with KZ2. Weird.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I played the demo long enough to decide to use my trade-in credit on this rather than Bulletstorm. Will ping again tomorrow to be added to the list but I may not pick up the game on release day.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    so we collecting PSN names for the clan or what?
    Hardtarget24 over here

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Woah, woah. No need to talk shit on Pilgrim, unless maybe we're discussing the game. Cause the comics and movie are great.

Well yeah I was talking about the game. But seeing as I've already bought Killzone 3, I'm obviously quite fine with games that don't innovate, so I've no problem with it. He on the other hand should, according to what he said in this thread, dislike it, but he obviously doesn't so he's a hypocrite.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So do I NEED to play through Killzone 2 before I play this? Or can I just read a summary. I would love to finish KZ2, but you know, the motion sickness... :(

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    a kz3 clan you say? fuck man, i am in.

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • Options
    MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So do I NEED to play through Killzone 2 before I play this? Or can I just read a summary. I would love to finish KZ2, but you know, the motion sickness... :(

I imagine it would be like playing MW2 without playing COD4 first.

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

I would say no. Shoot space nazis, get annoyed at Rico. Rinse, repeat.

If you need to brush up on the story of KZ2, here's a quick(ish) summary.

Killzone 2 Story Summary
    (adapted from the description here)

The ISA invades Helghan in retaliation to the invasion of Vekta 2 years earlier (Killzone 1). Their goal is to capture the Helghast leader Visari, as well as shutting down the war machine on Helghan for good.

The Cruiser " New Sun " enters the atmosphere of Helghan as the vanguard of their invasion fleet. Sev and the rest of the ISA begin the ground assault. The invasion is seemingly successful until an arc tower is activated in the capital city of Pyrrhus, wiping out most of the ISA's first wave. The Alpha team tracks the power source of the arc tower to Tharsis Refinery.

While Sev and Rico go off to find information on the arc tower, Garza, Natko and scientist Evelyn Batton are captured by the Helghast. Sev and Rico find their squad, however Rico acts brashly and as a result Garza is mortally wounded (and dies soon after).

The ISA retreat to the New Sun. During Sev's mourning for Garza, the Helghast invade the ISA fleet. In the assault, Helghast Colonel Radec successfully advances to the bridge of the New Sun and kills both Evelyn and the ISA colonel, Jan Templar (hero from KZ1). During Radec's invasion, he steals nuclear strike codes for nuclear weapons that he previously stole. The New Sun is destroyed along with most of the invasion fleet , but Alpha team escapes. The New Sun crashes into Tharsis Refinery, destroying the power grid for the city.

The ISA attempts to regroup near Visari's palace in Pyrrhus, but Radec detonates a nuclear bomb within the city and most of the ISA forces on Helghan are killed. Despite such events, Alpha team and the last remaining ISA assault the palace, taking very heavy casualties.

During the final assault, Sev and Rico defeat Radec who commits suicide shortly after. Sev and Rico find Scholar Visari waiting for them. He tells Sev that the war is far from over, and if they capture or kill him, the Helghast would remember him as a martyr and fight fiercer with even more determination than ever. Rico, who is still angered at the death of Templar and most of the ISA forces, kills Visari.

Worn and weary from all the occurrences , Sev leaves the palace and sits outside the palace entrance. He sees a giant Helghast fleet overhead, destroying what is left of the ISA fleet. With the ISA invasion in shambles and with the restrengthened Helghast still in possession of nuclear weapons, the war is far from over.
    tl;dr

Rico is a dick, and the ISA is boned.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My PS3 arrived in the mail today so I'm going to set it up asap and hopefully play some KZ3 in the next few weeks. Gotta finish some shit first so it may be a bit, but I'm excited to play with you guys! How does a clan function, anyway? Is it just so that we can easily find and play with each other? Are there other added benefits, apart from the option for clan battles? When you guys pick up the game and check out its features, I'd love to hear a bit more about it.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Picked it up at midnight, PSN name is in my signature for those who want to play online.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    TenexTenex Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Haven't even touched KZ2 before, but the demo pretty much sold me on this when I played it a week or so ago. Put in a order through Amazon to use up those promotional credits I've been saving up since Christmas, but lo and behold... no $.99 release day shipping?? I swore they had it for most new games that you pre-order or did they get rid of it? Just gritted my teeth and plopped down the extra couple bucks for the regular one day shipping option they have and hopefully it'll get here by tomorrow.

Tenex on
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »

I would say no. Shoot space nazis, get annoyed at Rico. Rinse, repeat.

If you need to brush up on the story of KZ2, here's a quick(ish) summary.

Killzone 2 Story Summary
    (adapted from the description here)

The ISA invades Helghan in retaliation to the invasion of Vekta 2 years earlier (Killzone 1). Their goal is to capture the Helghast leader Visari, as well as shutting down the war machine on Helghan for good.

The Cruiser " New Sun " enters the atmosphere of Helghan as the vanguard of their invasion fleet. Sev and the rest of the ISA begin the ground assault. The invasion is seemingly successful until an arc tower is activated in the capital city of Pyrrhus, wiping out most of the ISA's first wave. The Alpha team tracks the power source of the arc tower to Tharsis Refinery.

While Sev and Rico go off to find information on the arc tower, Garza, Natko and scientist Evelyn Batton are captured by the Helghast. Sev and Rico find their squad, however Rico acts brashly and as a result Garza is mortally wounded (and dies soon after).

The ISA retreat to the New Sun. During Sev's mourning for Garza, the Helghast invade the ISA fleet. In the assault, Helghast Colonel Radec successfully advances to the bridge of the New Sun and kills both Evelyn and the ISA colonel, Jan Templar (hero from KZ1). During Radec's invasion, he steals nuclear strike codes for nuclear weapons that he previously stole. The New Sun is destroyed along with most of the invasion fleet , but Alpha team escapes. The New Sun crashes into Tharsis Refinery, destroying the power grid for the city.

The ISA attempts to regroup near Visari's palace in Pyrrhus, but Radec detonates a nuclear bomb within the city and most of the ISA forces on Helghan are killed. Despite such events, Alpha team and the last remaining ISA assault the palace, taking very heavy casualties.

During the final assault, Sev and Rico defeat Radec who commits suicide shortly after. Sev and Rico find Scholar Visari waiting for them. He tells Sev that the war is far from over, and if they capture or kill him, the Helghast would remember him as a martyr and fight fiercer with even more determination than ever. Rico, who is still angered at the death of Templar and most of the ISA forces, kills Visari.

Worn and weary from all the occurrences , Sev leaves the palace and sits outside the palace entrance. He sees a giant Helghast fleet overhead, destroying what is left of the ISA fleet. With the ISA invasion in shambles and with the restrengthened Helghast still in possession of nuclear weapons, the war is far from over.
    tl;dr

Rico is a dick, and the ISA is boned.

Couldn't agree more duder.

I loved the single-player demo, and I adore the multiplayer beta, so this is a genuine no-brainer for me :) in fact, may pop down my local g-force today and see if they'll give it to me early ;)

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Re: KZ2 making me sick. I just played through the KZ3 demo and had none of the problems I had with KZ2. Weird.

I've seen a lot of people on the official forums attribute this to the amount of motion blur. KZ3 has much less.

Estilo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Tenex wrote: »
    Haven't even touched KZ2 before, but the demo pretty much sold me on this when I played it a week or so ago. Put in a order through Amazon to use up those promotional credits I've been saving up since Christmas, but lo and behold... no $.99 release day shipping?? I swore they had it for most new games that you pre-order or did they get rid of it? Just gritted my teeth and plopped down the extra couple bucks for the regular one day shipping option they have and hopefully it'll get here by tomorrow.
    Release day shipping shipped out Monday morning at like 3 AM? So if you try to order it any time past that you might not get it til Wednesday. Might've been why the option wasn't there.

I did order from Amazon so I'll be setting everything up in regards to the clan and invites early Tuesday afternoon, I'll try and do a PSN name sweep of the last page or two. For whoever asked, the clan is just for ease-of-grouping if you're looking for someone else to play with. There are clan matches, but outside of that no bonuses or clan leveling system or other weird junk.

JAEF on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is multiplayer region locked? If not, would love to jump on the bandwagon for multiplayer with you guys. My PSN handle is in my sig. If anyone has my original account added, which is Haikira. Just swap it for this one, as I know longer use that account.

Going to be picking this up day one, though unfortunately that's Friday for here.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll be picking it up on Friday as well. I don't know how much chance I'll have to get online with it due to college stuff, but I'll throw my PSN, skipdmn76, out there for any clan business when I do get on.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Given Amazon's release-day shipping track record, this should be waiting on my front step when I get home from work this evening.

Now, though, the wait.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Regarding Radec

He didn't commit suicide. I shot him alot. In the head. I don't care what the silly cutscene said afterwards.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Haikira wrote: »
    Is multiplayer region locked? If not, would love to jump on the bandwagon for multiplayer with you guys. My PSN handle is in my sig. If anyone has my original account added, which is Haikira. Just swap it for this one, as I know longer use that account.

Going to be picking this up day one, though unfortunately that's Friday for here.

in KZ2 you could choose what region you wanted to play on so hopefully you can choose US if you're in EU

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png