As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TexPAX: A gathering of Southern Gentlemen and Fine Ladies and TWO Expatriot Alaskans

CogliostroCogliostro Marginal OpinionsSpring, TXRegistered User regular
edited February 2011 in Social Entropy++
TexPAX.

So who wants in? Right now some details are completely up in the air;

I do declare, Mister Cogsworth. Where in heaven's name shall we meet? Austin, Texas

But what do we do when we get there?? So far we have decided on a movie at the Famous Alamo Movie house. Additionally, we have access to a special San Antonio zoo tour thanks to Vermi should we decide to go there - it's only an hour and a half drive and there has been talk of convoying with FRS radios. I will pay for a set or two of the radios.

When shall this fateful meeting take place? Do we want it to be in a few months? A couple of weeks? What? My schedule is completely flexible - I just have to have a minimum of 2 weeks notice to take PTO.

How long (until the apocalypse begins)? A day, an afternoon? A weekend? This leads us to more questions like where should we stay and what should we do for those days?

So help answer these questions and we'll see what we come up with.

Also: I think something this awesome needs it's own logo. Can someone come up with something?

Cogliostro on

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you do Dallas and over a weekend, I might be able to swing down and spend a day or so hanging out at my old stomping groups. Unfortunately, I live in Wichita, so it's a bit of a trek, but depending on the timing, I may have reason to go down there anyway.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would be down for either Houston or Austin. Most of the ideas already out there sound fun.

If we're doing anything outdoors we probably want to wait for it to warm up.

rhylith on
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm of course going to say: Dallas, sometime in March, cookout and movie.

E: Something less boring than a movie might be good.

And something not a cookout might be nice since lots of folks will be travelling.

I stick by Dallas though.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If I had something bigger than a cracker box, I'd host an Apples-to-apples and beer kind of shindig and put you all up.

That said, I'd be down with going to Austin and.... I'm not sure what there is to do in Austin frankly. I don't get out much.

Go on a ghost tour?

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dallas is the worst city to do anything in Texas.

This should be done in Austin.

Movie at Alamo then 6th street.

There should be no argument.

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    GRMike wrote: »

Make the movie an event like a master pancake theater or quotealong/singalong and I definitely agree with this.

rhylith on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh so what, I stay out of alaska for more then ten years and I'm no longer an expat

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    rhylith wrote: »

Make the movie an event like a master pancake theater or quotealong/singalong and I definitely agree with this.

You gotta purchase tix way in advance for one of those so if this is planned it needs to be planned with that in mind.

Any move at Alamo is an unmatched experience if you enjoy going to the movies and you haven't been.

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also, I owe Mysst a trip to Alamo since I flaked on him twice in one week. :(

Yesterday wasn't my fault. We were out of town.

GRMike on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This get together looks like it is very well designed. Almost as if it was designed intelligently.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    GR: Didn't know you were from Alaska, too. I'll change the title :D

Also: I've heard awesome things about the Alamo 8. that's definitely something worthy of considering.

Too bad there isn't a lasertag or paintball place close. I'd love to get into that :D

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would probably be up for something in Austin, but timing for me will get increasingly difficult until the end of May when I'd have a lot of time.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also, I owe Mysst a trip to Alamo since I flaked on him twice in one week. :(

Yesterday wasn't my fault. We were out of town.

it's cool man, tho we do need to hang out soon

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I am not from Alaska.

I am from WA. But I live in Texas.

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It sounds like everyone's onboard for Austin. There is a lot of shit to do there, from what I hear. I volunteer to be DD since I don't drink often enough... and certainly not the first time I meet a group of people. :D

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    there's lasertag here, a new pinball arcade place, could probably time an alamo event, all sorts of shit

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ok, so Austin, If you want to plan this at a time where shit is happening you will need to look here:
    http://www.austin360.com/

Also, if you want to do an even at the Alamo Ritz down town here is the link to their site:
    http://www.originalalamo.com/Default.aspx?l=2

Other than that there are great places to eat, lots of parks and lakes around and lots of places to stay downtown if you are coming from out of town.

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I would be definitely. I wish we could create a poll... I suppose I could bug a mod to do it.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ok... holy shit:

http://www.originalalamo.com/Show.aspx?id=8068

Master Pancake mocks ROBOCOP!

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    rhylith wrote: »

You gotta purchase tix way in advance for one of those so if this is planned it needs to be planned with that in mind.

Any move at Alamo is an unmatched experience if you enjoy going to the movies and you haven't been.

Oh I know. The audience on the opening night of kick-ass made that movie feel way better than it really was.

My favorite moviegoing experience is still going to the team america world police singalong on the 4th 2 years ago. Fireworks, streamers, Drafthouse Henri in a hilarious red white and blue skin tight jumpsuit leading the festivities, and after the show 100 people with sparklers surrounding drunks on 6th singing America Fuck Yeah!

So much fun.

rhylith on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Awesome. We all agreed the Alamo is a go? It sounds ballin.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Visit the basement to say hello to Mr. P.W. Herman.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Wrong Alamo, Pilgrim.

GRMike on
  • Options
    cogellcogell Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm totally down for this. I live in Denton, but I'd be willing to make the drive down to Austin.

cogell on
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    GR: Didn't know you were from Alaska, too. I'll change the title :D

Also: I've heard awesome things about the Alamo 8. that's definitely something worthy of considering.

Too bad there isn't a lasertag or paintball place close. I'd love to get into that :D

Close to where? Alamo 8?

I'm also fine with being a DD since I don't drink as much as well/I am a freaking lightweight.

Yukira on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, Alamo sounds fun.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I live kind of close to Ft. Worth/Dallas but I'd be willing to drive down to Austin or San Antonio. I don't think my wife will come since she refuses to even meet my co-workers, much less people that don't exist over the internet, but that's alright. I'd prefer if it were at least a month away or so, so I'd have to time check my work schedule and put in for a day or two of vacation. As for what, I don't care. Cookout, paintball, movie, tubing (if it's in the spring or summer), whatever. I'm not much of a drinker anymore but I'm not against bar hopping or whatever and being a designated driver.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shucks, Austin is a bit far because of my crazy schedule

Everyone drive up to Lake Texoma instead :rotate:

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Where'd you hear that from, a fortune-teller or something?

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As long as we going tubing I'm interested.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, I know what we're not doing then.

Yukira on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Unless we have it in July I don't think any of you native Texans are going to be up for any water sports.

However, I think paintball would be awesome. We just need to find a place that offers all the gear included.

Also: SO we've decided on the Alamo theater. I think anything we see will be cool.

SO TRAVEL: those of us who will be staying overnight how many nights do you think we should do? One? two? I'm only a few hours away, so I don't need an overnight stay before I drive back (depending on how crazy we get). Is there anyone with a house willing to put us up?

Also: anyone who lives there with ideas on good areas to stay so we don't accidentally get a hotel across from Gang Rape Blvd, I would appreciate it :)

I'm willing to share a room, btw. I talk in my sleep but I promise not to touch your no-no places while you slumber.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

AHAHAH,

Have you been tubing in Texas VoC? I thought I had a meth contact high after one trip.

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    Unless we have it in July I don't think any of you native Texans are going to be up for any water sports.

However, I think paintball would be awesome. We just need to find a place that offers all the gear included.

Also: SO we've decided on the Alamo theater. I think anything we see will be cool.

SO TRAVEL: those of us who will be staying overnight how many nights do you think we should do? One? two? I'm only a few hours away, so I don't need an overnight stay before I drive back (depending on how crazy we get). Is there anyone with a house willing to put us up?

Also: anyone who lives there with ideas on good areas to stay so we don't accidentally get a hotel across from Gang Rape Blvd, I would appreciate it :)

I'm willing to share a room, btw. I talk in my sleep but I promise not to touch your no-no places while you slumber.

I'll probably stay at least one night because it's about a 3-4 hour drive for me to get to Austin. I'd also be willing to share a room, I'm not a creepy weirdo either.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

AHAHAH,

Have you been tubing in Texas VoC? I thought I had a meth contact high after one trip.

I have never been tubing on a river ever!

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm in Lewisville and am totally willing to carpoop and share a room. I don't have a car that goes more than 8 miles before freaking out, so I'm either carpooling or renting a car. I'm a chick, but I'll sleep in a room with any of the genders.

Alamo sounds good.

I hope this doesn't conflict with my pedagogy training and/or job travel starting soon.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I live in Texas, this is something I could do

If it's say San Antonio or Austin.

VoproSTEIN on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Margarazzi wrote: »
    cogell wrote: »
    I'm totally down for this. I live in Denton, but I'd be willing to make the drive down to Austin.

I live in Lewisville. I would pay you money to carpool, because otherwise I'm renting a car.

It's totally okay if you say no.

If not, I can drive up to Lewisville and pick you up. It would only add a couple of extra hours and I wouldn't mind.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

AHAHAH,

I have never been tubing on a river ever!

It's ick. I would be down with hanging out in a bar with the sane people while the others go tubing. Then doing something together.

I'm not tubing.

I'll do just about anything else, though. I'll make my lardass go laser tagging or paintballing (I've never done either!)

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Darmak wrote: »
    Margarazzi wrote: »
    cogell wrote: »

I live in Lewisville. I would pay you money to carpool, because otherwise I'm renting a car.

It's totally okay if you say no.

If not, I can drive up to Lewisville and pick you up. It would only add a couple of extra hours and I wouldn't mind.

Cool. I'm sure we'll work out carpooling at a later time. I wouldn't want to add hours to anyone's trip.

Also, I edited my post after you quoted it. I included the term "carpoop."

I don't intent to poop in your car.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg