As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It sure does suck sending an e-mail and then regretting it.

Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Social Entropy++
We've all had one of those days!

I'm a Mason and the guy in charge of our mail list is an old man who loves Fox News. He sends us Glenn Beck videos, fox news chain letters, etc.

So today I got a new one saying all true patriots need to help keep the flag in the class room! And telling me to go vote on some Fox News poll.

I hate Fox News. The only terrorist organization America needs to fear is Fox. So I sent him an e-mail, telling him what I think about him and his Fox News. There may have been one or six curse words in there, I went into detail about why I hate Fox, and I told him I was embarrassed for him because he takes Fox seriously.

I'm now regretting being so rude and blunt. I don't regret telling him off, but I regret how I did it.

Roger Wilco on

• FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh man, I do this all the time with women. Usually after we have been broken up a bit, and then I tell them what I really think about them. I'm not friends with too many of my exes haha.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i am so paranoid about this

which is why it takes me 45 minutes to send a three line email reply

making sure i didn't say anything wrong

or had a curse word slip in by accident

(only in professional contexts, not if i'm emailing like my friends or family)

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fandeathis wrote: »
    Oh man, I do this all the time with women. Usually after we have been broken up a bit, and then I tell them what I really think about them. I'm not friends with too many of my exes haha.

that sounds awful

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011

I'm a Mason and the guy in charge of our mail list is an old man who loves Fox News. He sends us Glenn Beck videos, fox news chain letters, etc.

So today I got a new one saying all true patriots need to help keep the flag in the class room! And telling me to go vote on some Fox News poll.

I hate Fox News. The only terrorist organization America needs to fear is Fox. So I sent him an e-mail, telling him what I think about him and his Fox News. There may have been one or six curse words in there, I went into detail about why I hate Fox, and I told him I was embarrassed for him because he takes Fox seriously.

I'm now regretting being so rude and blunt. I don't regret telling him off, but I regret how I did it.

You should send him a follow up email saying that you apologize for using such strong language and you understand that it was inappropriate to do so. You can say that you should have just expressed your opinion, but not taken it to a personal level with this guy. Mostly just say you're sorry and that your actions were inappropriate. If you truly feel bad about the way you disagreed with him, just say so.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ubik wrote: »

Ditto. Work emails tend to be written, deleted, re-written, etc. Though I've found that habit slowly seeping into my personal emails/messaging, even here on the forums, I constantly find myself editing msg's for tiny errors that no one would care about. But what if they really do!?

Caveman Paws on
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    no wait, blame it on your cat walking on your keyboard

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tell him a gay communist broke into your computer and was trying to undermine your relationship
    Or just don't be a douche

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's a Google Labs feature for gmail that gives you a five second regret period to unsend an email

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i've never had this problem because i'm so worried about how awful it would be if i did something like this that i end up rereading anything i type at least a bazillion times to make sure i'm not about to make myself look like a dick/an idiot

(i've been proofreading this post since yesterday)

redhead on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    send a reply email with pictures of your dong

Bucketman on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Same. It takes me fucking forever to hit send.

Kochikens on
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    there are built-in ways in outlook to delay the sending of emails

you can put an automatic timer on the outbox, so if you're like, oooo shit that's wrong
    you can get it back

redfenix on
  • SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sign me up for the Obsessive Editor's Club. I share the tendency to put perhaps more thought and care than is strictly necessary into composing, proofreading, and re-writing emails and even dumb ol' forum posts.

Oh well, it beats coming across like a sub-literate baboon.

e: For example, so far I have edited this 3-sentence post twice. (Yes, counting this edit.)

Supraluminal on
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    closest thing i've done to this was accidentally sending someone a completely blank reply

i like tabbed and then hit enter or something and instead of jumping a line down i hit send

i was like

noooooooooooooo

redhead on
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kochikens wrote: »

Same. It takes me fucking forever to hit send.

Me too. Just hovering over the send button, knowing that you've made a fool of yourself somewhere in there, but being unable to see where.

Then whoops, it turns out that the part that made you a fool is that you sent it late.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Funnily enough though, it is really easy for me to make forum posts where my foolishness is on display to all.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is the one thing I appreciate having to use Outlook at work for

Right click->Recall Message, and if they haven't read it by then, they never will

Ledneh on
  • -smash-smash Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I agonize over every forum post.

It doesn't really help the ol' post quality.

-smash on
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tossrock wrote: »
    There's a Google Labs feature for gmail that gives you a five second regret period to unsend an email

You can set it to 30 seconds now, which is what I have it at. It's saved me from enraging a couple exes already.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • -smash-smash Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ledneh wrote: »
    This is the one thing I appreciate having to use Outlook at work for

Right click->Recall Message, and if they haven't read it by then, they never will

This is hilarious to see as a Thunderbird user.

"Oh, you sure would like to take that one back, wouldn't you?"

-smash on
  • FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Geek wrote: »

You should send him a follow up email saying that you apologize for using such strong language and you understand that it was inappropriate to do so. You can say that you should have just expressed your opinion, but not taken it to a personal level with this guy. Mostly just say you're sorry and that your actions were inappropriate. If you truly feel bad about the way you disagreed with him, just say so.

Then! Send a third email that is just a picture of you sleeping with his wife

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh man we had an issue like this at work. My friend Sarah was working with this guy Brad on a job.

We're auditors and one of our clients was a GLBTAU Center. Brad, the supervisor, is a born again Christian. He's been through an exorcism that cleansed the demons out and now he's super hardcore religious. Well they were out at the client and Brad just kept talking about how this place is an abomination and how these people need to be saved. Sarah kept telling him no and that its a bad idea and not professional. Anyway, they found out at lunch that the CFO is gay (or transgendered, I forget which), but then when Brad and Sarah were alone, he kept venting. Then he got into Sarah's religious beliefs and tried to get her to be saved, but she kept politely turning it down.

Anyway she got annoyed and went to send me an email saying how she didn't want to get saved and that she's tired of hearing about all his exorcism and born again stuff.

Problem is that my last name and his last name are very similar. When she began to type mine, it autocompleted with his and she sent it.

She realized what she did and just flat out said "Look. I sent you an email just now and I'm sorry, but this is how I feel. It wasn't meant for you but it is what it is now"

He read the email, sat back, and was like "God intended for you to send this email to me. Let's talk about it. Why don't you want to be saved?"

Now they never work on jobs together.

tl:dr Hilarious email story dealing with religion and being saved. Whoops.jpg

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    welp, you smarted off to a mason.

prepare to have your wacky crab-god eat your soul.

Metzger Meister on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i don't email people

Clint Eastwood on
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    best way to get something off your chest is to write something and not send it

Abraham Lincoln taught my friend who in turn taught that to me

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fandeathis wrote: »
    Tossrock wrote: »

You can set it to 30 seconds now, which is what I have it at. It's saved me from enraging a couple exes already.

I was gonna say.. 5 seconds sounds like the exact amount of time it takes to process that you did something wrong so by the time you react to hit cancel it gets sent.

Adus on
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also one that involved me. I was close to breaking up with my girlfriend and was talking to my sister on the phone and told her we were going to try and work things out instead. My sister hangs up and 5 seconds later i get a text that says 'they are still together. fuck'

That was meant for my oldest sister, not me. The texting sister felt real bad about that one after I called her out on it.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I'm very careful with written stuff usually. I'm least careful here I think. But when it comes to work e-mails I usual edit and try to find the right tone that probably only I can hear anyway.

The one time I really let loose was on my ex-girlfriend and she really, really didn't deserve it. We're friends now and anytime it comes up I apologize profusely and grovel at her feet. Oh and also at some idiot I used to be friends with, but I don't feel bad about that.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2011
    The Geek wrote: »

You should edit Wikipedia.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    best way to get something off your chest is to write something and not send it

Abraham Lincoln taught my friend who in turn taught that to me

You have old friends

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When I was back home in Texas at my parents last year I went total stormfront on them while they were watching Beck. It's pretty empowering to curse & lecture your parents in their own living room They got the message, they don't watch him anymore, my sister helped provide the calmer perspective.

Weaver on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I feel sorry for your parents

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    When I was back home in Texas at my parents last year I went total stormfront on them while they were watching Beck. It's pretty empowering to curse & lecture your parents in their own living room They got the message, they don't watch him anymore, my sister helped provide the calmer perspective.

Wait, were they just watching it, or were they trying to get you to watch it or something?

MereHappenstance on
    edited February 2011

Wait, were they just watching it, or were they trying to get you to watch it or something?

Oh they were watching it. And believing it.

Weaver on
    edited February 2011
    Did you try simply talking to them about it?

It seems watching a show and buying into it (crazy as that man is) isn't really cause to yell at your parents.

MereHappenstance on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i don't email people

dis right here

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited February 2011
    machete don't text

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

edited February 2011

It seems watching a show and buying into it (crazy as that man is) isn't really cause to yell at your parents.

I think I know my parents better than you.

Weaver on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

I don't see how that's possible

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited February 2011

You don't know man. You don't know! Cuz you weren't there man!

MereHappenstance on