Options

Dead Space 2: Still Creepy!

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I got to Chapter 12 in my Hardcore run, only save is at Chapter 9
    I was at the drill, decided to clear everything except riding on it, before saving... Guess what ? The door will malfunction if you do this, so I had to take the drill ride with no save, luckily it went fine but it was pretty stressful, just saved in Chapter 13 a bit after you ship Ellie away on the Gunship, atleast now I'm halfway 13 and still have a save left, but man that rattled my nerves a bit. :)

Sirialis on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    usually whenever a wall guardian is present and you need to kill it quickly, a convenient explosive canister is nearby for you to lob at it

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I just shoot Guardians in the center with the Force Gun, 1 shot if fully upgraded, 2 if not usually.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    always whenever a wall guardian is present and you need to kill it quickly, a convenient explosive canister is nearby for you to lob at it

At least in DS2

Magus` on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DS1 - Kendra keeps telling me about hallucinations. I am expecting shit to get really weird any time now.

Something "Hilarious" happened just now in chapter 7. I disposed of all the asteroids (and corpses) and turned gravity back on, then I started getting ambushed by Necrotwats. I backed myself into the corner and started picking them off, when suddenly it turns out that an exploding arm dude had dropped through a vent behind me. I jumped, turned around and whacked the thing. Stupid move.

I am absolutely wading in Line Racks, but I am constantly running low on plasma energy. It's getting annoying because as much as I love the line gun, (And I do love it. Oh yes.) I need the accuracy of the cutter for the fat guys and the exploding arm dudes.

Oh, and the boss in food storage... that was certainly something.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Just beat Hard Core using 2 saves :wink: I wasnt planning on not using the 3rd save but...
    I wanted to kill the Regenerator/Ubermorph/Whatever before saving, and once again my foulest enemy appears - Door locked behind me, fuck you.

Cant wait for the DLC.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Magus` wrote: »
    always whenever a wall guardian is present and you need to kill it quickly, a convenient explosive canister is nearby for you to lob at it

At least in DS2
    I was disappointed.
    There's only like, what, 2 of these guys in DS2? I thought they were terrifying.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    man, chapter 10 is really cool.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's at least three in DS2 - one each in chapters 6, 8, and 9.

Just got through the abattoir in Chapter 13. I am *not* looking forward to that part again in Hardcore. Hell, Hardcore in general is eeek.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, I just started playing DS1, and this game is like the exact same game as System Shock.

This is not a complaint.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sceptre wrote: »
    Man, I just started playing DS1, and this game is like the exact same game as System Shock.
    You think so? I see the surface similarities, but in terms of feel I find they're very different. If Dead Space is basically Event Horizon, System Shock is Dead Space as directed by Christopher Nolan.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thirith wrote: »
    You think so? I see the surface similarities, but in terms of feel I find they're very different. If Dead Space is basically Event Horizon, System Shock is Dead Space as directed by Christopher Nolan.

Granted, I'm only on the third chapter, but thus far the game is incredibly similar. Certainly, it takes advantage of modern gaming conventions, but from an atmosphere and plot standpoint there are a lot common features between the two.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Common features, definitely, but for me Dead Space relies a lot more on the "Boo, cat jumped out at you! Shrieky violins!" way of scaring the player. I spent much of System Shock crouched behind a counter while infected passed on the other side; in Dead Space I had to steel myself before entering rooms, but once I did I did so with much more of an action game attitude.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Granted, I'm only on the third chapter, but thus far the game is incredibly similar. Certainly, it takes advantage of modern gaming conventions, but from an atmosphere and plot standpoint there are a lot common features between the two.

Well, in the sci-fi horror genre, it's not like you have a whole lot of options:
    1. Alone/Stranded on a spaceship.
    2. Alone/Stranded on a space station.
    3. Alone/Stranded on a hostile planet (Or moon. Moon was awesome, by the way.)

They definitely did a nod with the audio logs, there are some tasks you need to complete that are similar between the two, and they both involve you being on a derelict ship with no idea what the fuck happened or why things are trying to kill you.

I imagine a lot of it is just better art assets/budget but I feel like DS1's style - the utilitarian, industrial access corridors - is doing what Engineering in SS2 was trying to do. The populated sections of the ship feel a lot like the same sections in SS2 for sure.

Not to mention deadly implements being available at vending machines.

Edit: Gotta agree with Thirith, though. SS2 felt like more of a survival horror than DS. Hell, I've never beaten SS2 because I am terrible.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay, fuck this game.

Biggest scare for me so far...

I killed the first poison pod... and then I kept hearing low growling .. and movement... so I was just stood there in the room ... looking in every corner ...

And then a black fucker comes sprinting towards me, but from behind. I turned around just in time to see it's fucked up, fleshy black face right up against mine. I. Shat. my. self. I could hear my flatmate laughing in the room nextdoor at my scream.

It grabbed me, I hammered the A button while it took chunks out of me. I eviscerated it with more line gun rounds than necessary, then pounded it into a bloody pulp. Hit pause and threw the controller down.

I need a cigarette.
    Bacon, you need to keep a journal. I love reading these.

anoffday on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Okay, fuck this game.

Biggest scare for me so far...

I killed the first poison pod... and then I kept hearing low growling .. and movement... so I was just stood there in the room ... looking in every corner ...

And then a black fucker comes sprinting towards me, but from behind. I turned around just in time to see it's fucked up, fleshy black face right up against mine. I. Shat. my. self. I could hear my flatmate laughing in the room nextdoor at my scream.

It grabbed me, I hammered the A button while it took chunks out of me. I eviscerated it with more line gun rounds than necessary, then pounded it into a bloody pulp. Hit pause and threw the controller down.

I need a cigarette.
    Bacon, you need to keep a journal. I love reading these.

Or turn on an audio recorder while you play so we can hear the screams...

Ceno on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Puffycow and myself beat DS1 tonight. Was pretty good. Nice and scary. I was disappointed with the size of the Marker though. After seeing the DS movie and seeing how huge it was, we were underwhelmed with it in the end.

We now are deciding if we should play through DS2 together (2 chapters, swap controller, etc.) or just play by ourselves on our own consoles since we both have DS2. I don't know if I can make it through DS2 alone. Haha.

Man I wish I had someone to play through DS with me just so I could take a break and enjoy it. Just saw my first black whatever the hell those basic necros are in the morgue of DS1... It wasn't a shock scare so much as an oh shit oh shit I can't stop him I'm going to die scare. Then when I was attacked by the second one going back to the hub of ch3 I remembered I had stasis but still, it'd be nice to just watch for a bit.

It really was great to be able to calm down for two chapters and enjoy a friend get scared shitless. I kind of want to do it for DS2, but I kind of want to play it NOW.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What do you guys think of the seeker rifle? I'm on my second playthrough tying out guns I didn't use before and decided to buy this. Right now it seems pretty weak, but I haven't put a single node into it so I'm wondering if anyone has it maxed or close?

anoffday on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011

Eeek!

Reading about your first playthrough of Dead Space is bringing back such wonderful nostalgia. I think after I finish my first run of 2, I'm going to go back and replay 1.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What do you guys think of the seeker rifle? I'm on my second playthrough tying out guns I didn't use before and decided to buy this. Right now it seems pretty weak, but I haven't put a single node into it so I'm wondering if anyone has it maxed or close?

Maxed it has a stronger single shot than the plasma cutter, just without the width/length

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

A very good gun against single enemies, when fully upgraded I think alt-fire zoom does the highest damage in the game (if anyone wants to contradict me, go ahead).
    Great against Lurkers, especially in zero-g, as you just have to hit them in the body and they're down, and you can usually keep enough of a distance that you can avoid their shots easily.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It definitely does the highest damage in the game when zoomed. I think it's 75 baseline before the ridiculous zoom damage multiplier? Compare that to a Plasma Cutter's 18 or a Javelin's 100.

If only the Seeker Rifle also shot lightening and explosions. :(

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

It's crap. The alt-fire only does the same damage as the Javelin's regular shot, it fires more slowly, doesn't zap or explode, and has a smaller clip. The only advantage is ammo drops are significantly larger - like 5:1 on Zealot in favour of the rifle.

IMO anyone who loves the rifle hasn't learned to use the Javelin yet.

Edit: To be specific, the Rifle's alt-fire and Javelin damage are both listed as 100 when fully maxed.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Szechuan wrote: »

It's crap. The alt-fire only does the same damage as the Javelin's regular shot, it fires more slowly, doesn't zap or explode, and has a smaller clip. The only advantage is ammo drops are significantly larger - like 5:1 on Zealot in favour of the rifle.

Edit: To be specific, the Rifle's alt-fire and Javelin damage are both listed as 100 when fully maxed.

pretty much.

also it's the most boring gun in the game.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Seeker Rifle tends to be very situational. But it looks and sounds pretty cool.

Just finished my Zealot run.
    After reading the posts regarding the final fight, I feel sort of silly running around and gunning the Pack.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    so, between my zealot run yesterday and dicking around on casual today, I'm at 49/50 achievements.

only hardcore's standing between me and my first 1000/1000 game.

I'm thinking I'll go with plasma cutter, force gun, javelin rifle, and contact beam; upgrade stasis, then suit, then javelin

only issue is where to put my saves

stuff I die to lots is the stalker room in chapter 9, the multilevel red room in chapter 13, and quite obviously the majority of chapter 15

I just don't know if they should go before or after or argh

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I do love the Javelin gun. It's already maxed, though. Pulse rifle is next for crowd control, and I'm still looking for my third go to weapon.

anoffday on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man...the Seeker Rifle is pretty good.

It pretty much one shots enemy limbs, it can hold 15 shots a slot, and the ammo drops are good.

I wouldn't say it is the most exciting weapon(though it has good sound direction and a love blowing off enemy limbs), but it is efficient and reliable.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just picked this up from amazon during the sale this week. Just popped it in for the first time. Between previously on Dead Space, and the first ten minutes of the game all I have to say is FUCK YES.

corin7 on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I do love the Javelin gun. It's already maxed, though. Pulse rifle is next for crowd control, and I'm still looking for my third go to weapon.

If you've already got the Javelin, you want something for widespread indescriminate damage. Contact Beam is a monster with upgraded alt-fire, it makes supposedly dangerous situations a cakewalk, and you don't even have to aim.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    tried hardcore

died to the very last enemy in the laundry room in chapter 2

so fuck that for tonight

I think I should try a run-through on zealot without ng+ bonuses to get a handle on where to save and stuff

just yargh

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, The Seeker rifle is fun for exploring the game on your 4th of 5th playtrough and zooming in and seeing shit you haven't seen before, for example:

Strauss has his own pop up video of Issacc across the sprawl when you first meet him

The Tripod "lair" in the unitology Church

There's Facehuggers on the ground floor of the Unitology entrance you can snipe that aren't there when you take the elevator down

to name a few

and also, It's pretty useful when you first get to the Mines, there's alot of big open areas you can snipe necro's.

not to mention just how much i have sniping stalkers when they peep around corners.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I just tried the demo for Ignition. First thing I notice is some crappy looking comics, and some guy saying, "Man that was hard." And some girl says, "That's what she said."

Really? Ok back to Dead Space 2.

anoffday on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    curly: Dead Space 2 speedrun. Do it.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    curly: Dead Space 2 speedrun. Do it.

stream it you mean? :P

i could, but not tonight. sometime in the days ahead perhaps.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I agree. Dead Space = System Shock 2 + Resident Evil 4. There was a rumor when Dead Space first came out that it started out life as a new System Shock game.

The beginning of Dead Space 2 really reminded me of Bioshock. It must be the more colorful environments.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Why is Hardcore simultaneously so easy and so frustrating?

My history so far:

1st try - Stupid death in chapter 1
    2nd try - Even Stupider death in chapter 1
    3rd try - Save end of chapter 5 - Somehow get one-shot across the room by a wall dude in chapter 9
    4th try - Game bugs out in chapter 8 and I have to stop
    5th try - Make it to where I want to save in Chapter 10 - Having such an easy time I keep going AND DIE
    6th try - Save in Chapter 10 with 30 MED PACKS!

I'm just so glad I never, ever have to play Chapter 7 again. I *HATE* that chapter. Worst in the game. I was starting to dislike 6 too just from running it so many times.

/rant

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    there are certain parts of the game where you know you'll have trouble. for me, that 'hold the line' bit where you have to wait to get into the CEC facility was my most stressful moment on my hardcore run. i was literally shaking when i got past it.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Really? You hate chap. 7? That was one of my favorites.

Am I going to hate it when I do it on hardcore?

anoffday on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's the thing. I haven't had any trouble in any of the places I expected to have trouble. If I expect trouble I just spam my Force Gun at it.

I keep getting killed in some random easy encounter where I slip up and all the health packs in the world won't save me. My most recent one was somehow managing to get an entire Pregnant's worth of tiny necros crawling on me - and not thinking to alt fire my Hacker Contact Beam to save myself (STUPID!)

I'd much rather Hardcore be at Zealot difficulty with a save at the beginning of each chapter.

gjaustin on
This discussion has been closed.