As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dino guzzling, toxin spewing money pits! What do YOU drive [NSF56k/bicycles]

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Usagi wrote: »
    Love my little '09 Impreza to bits, AWD is the just the best

New boss drives a '10 Panamera Turbo, I'm hoping he likes me enough to let me drive it someday

one of my friends drives an impreza and I like it quite a bit...she had some trouble with one of the sideview mirrors coming loose? apparently it's a regular thing with whatever model she has.

I'm working on learning to drive stick but for the time being I'm a pedestrian. I drive my dad's old toyota camry when I'm at my parents' place.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Stale wrote: »
    Why would I do such a thing? Thats what the brake pedal is for.

And dear, we don't have round-a-bouts in the states. Especially not back in Illinois. Hell we barely had stop signs.

There's one at the Lanier Tech campus in Oakwood. I don't think they put it together right though.

MKR on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I should point out I have not passed my test yet, but should be going for it in the next few months.

Liiya on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh man, not too long ago a driver entered a roundabout that I was approaching, and as I was slowing down, waiting for her to pass my exit she stopped her car.

In a roundabout. So that I could enter. I don't think she understands roundabouts.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Liiya wrote: »
    Driving a manual on ice sounds kind of like a nightmare.

Lowest gear possible and just keep it rolling slowly but steadily. If you're going downhill, low gear, in neutral, clutch all the way down and apply the breaks carefully.

Oh this seems pretty standard then. Really so far the only issues I've had with manual is anything to do with first gear at all. And I'm getting better with hills. Not so much first gear though. I'll either apply to much gas without releasing the clutch quickly enough and be rewarded with squealing tires, or not enough and have to restart the engine.

I'm quickly getting the hang of the other gears though. 2nd is still a little rough, especially with a bad start from 1st, but the others are smooth as silk now.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Who the fuck uses a handbrake for an uphill start in a manual?

Lazy bastards who shouldn't be driving manuals...that's who.

Learn to actually drive the car. Be able to shift without looking at the revs. Get good enough to actually work the clutch, break AND gas in collaboration with each other.

Don't use the handbrake.

You consider the ability to know when to change gear without looking at the tachometer to indicate a 'good driver'?

I'm sorry, I truly am.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

It's better actually.

Once you know what you're doing, driving a manual gives you a FAR greater sense of the car and control over it.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Learn to actually drive the car. Be able to shift without looking at the revs. Get good enough to actually work the clutch, break AND gas in collaboration with each other.

Don't use the handbrake.

When I drove a manual, I never used the handbrake.

In fact I had disconnected it once when I was doing some suspension work on my truck and forgot to re-connect it.... for 2 months.

I hope you parked it in gear...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I can tell when my automatic is about to shift without looking at the ornamental tachometer. I feel like this is not an exceptional capacity.

MKR on
  • Options
    beefbeef Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Roundabouts have become somewhat of a thing in Colorado.

beef on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Don't use the handbrake.

You consider the ability to know when to change gear without looking at the tachometer to indicate a 'good driver'?

I'm sorry, I truly am.

At no point in my post did I use what you quoted... "good driver".

And no, I don't consider it being a "good driver", to use your term. I consider it and everything else I listed up there as a sign of someone who actually knows how to drive a manual.

Stop being a goose, you sound ridiculous.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Lowest gear possible and just keep it rolling slowly but steadily. If you're going downhill, low gear, in neutral, clutch all the way down and apply the breaks carefully.

Oh this seems pretty standard then. Really so far the only issues I've had with manual is anything to do with first gear at all. And I'm getting better with hills. Not so much first gear though. I'll either apply to much gas without releasing the clutch quickly enough and be rewarded with squealing tires, or not enough and have to restart the engine.

I'm quickly getting the hang of the other gears though. 2nd is still a little rough, especially with a bad start from 1st, but the others are smooth as silk now.

Ahh, clutch control is a bugger, my driving instructor says my feet are made of lead. I live on a hill so starting the car is a fine balance between getting the bite and clutch and gas right, some days it goes well, some days bad. Same with junctions, but I'm stalling less.

10(mph) into 2
    20 (25 if uphill) into 3
    25-30 into 4
    35 into 5.

The way he says it is in a rhyming way, its mental but it works.

Liiya on
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I know when to change gears because a man yelled at me if I didn't

driving instructors everywhere, this one goes out to you and your yelling

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That is right Aarang. And you can hear/ feel it too. It sounds cross when it needs to change.

Liiya on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh man, not too long ago a driver entered a roundabout that I was approaching, and as I was slowing down, waiting for her to pass my exit she stopped her car.

In a roundabout. So that I could enter. I don't think she understands roundabouts.

I absolutely hate when someone does this, and since we have a roundabout at the college I go to I see it a ton.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Don't use the handbrake.

I'm sorry, I truly am.

At no point in my post did I use what you quoted... "good driver".

And no, I don't consider it being a "good driver", to use your term. I consider it and everything else I listed up there as a sign of someone who actually knows how to drive a manual.

Stop being a goose, you sound ridiculous.

u mad bro?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

She stopped on the roundabout?? It was empty I hope!

Liiya on
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

She stopped on the roundabout?? It was empty I hope!

People like that are the reason I'm going to get a sucky bonus this year.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Roundabouts must be great for new drivers to practice on.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I had to look up what a roundabout was. The only time I've seen one was on a college campus. Apparently they are becoming more common in the US though.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I still hate them. At least when I'm on I'm fine. Its just knowing when to go in, especially when people decide not to indicate.

Liiya on
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I still hate them. At least when I'm on I'm fine. Its just knowing when to go in, especially when people decide not to indicate.

Even if they are indicating to turn off, and they don't, and you pull out in front of them and there is a crash, you are jointly liable, even though its their fault.

Always assume they're going to go round and round. :)

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Silmaril wrote: »

Even if they are indicating to turn off, and they don't, and you pull out in front of them and there is a crash, you are jointly liable, even though its their fault.

Always assume they're going to go round and round. :)

Aaaargh that is not on at all! I think I'll have to do that.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Heh. Indicating.

Yeah, it's probably a good thing we don't have a lot of roundabouts over here.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    okay this might just be me

but while talking about indicators

i really dislike it when cars have turn signals that are also their brake lights

throws me off for some reason :(

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That would throw me off too.

But a lot of things do.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    wow there are cars that do that?

seems like a really bad idea.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Roundabouts + Finland = The street light next to the roundabout is bent at about a 25 degree angle from the ground instead of 90 like it should be.

Also before I got new tires I almost slipped out of a roundabout prematurely. Luckily I just kind of bounced off the soft snow wall instead.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Roundabouts have a good use in Ottawa, they're retard detectors and accident magnets, making the roads safer for the rest of us

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Indicators like this are the best, who could even argue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uicBOeBtfYM

that's some dude's DIY job, but they come standard on the new mustangs

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Don't use the handbrake.

When I drove a manual, I never used the handbrake.

In fact I had disconnected it once when I was doing some suspension work on my truck and forgot to re-connect it.... for 2 months.

I hope you parked it in gear...

Who doesn't park in 1st?

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ... me?

Liiya on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    you also use a handbrake at stoplights though

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    AxesOfEvilAxesOfEvil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, I just got a VW GTI Autobahn w/DSG gearbox. My wife doesn't drive standard, and doesn't want to learn on our brand-new car. The semi-automatic DSG gearbox is pretty sweet though. It has none of the lag of a slushbox (and I get paddle shifters on the steering-wheel). It's definitely more-lazy than a stick (and has no clutch pedal), but you can (basically) drive it like one. It is definitely a good compromize when standard isn't going to be an option.

AxesOfEvil on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah see I was told to always park it in first as a general rule, but especially if you're on a hill.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That is true!

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I've seen it on a few old American muscle cars. One had three small round lights in a horizontal row on each side, they lit up in order toward the outside of the car when the indicators were on.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I've seen it on a few old American muscle cars. One had three small round lights in a horizontal row on each side, they lit up in order toward the outside of the car when the indicators were on.

Sequential indicators are the best

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Not like it matters though, no one uses indicators these days anyway.

Except me. I'm the only one, anywhere. No, none of you people either.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I actively indicate in the wrong direction

deal_with_it_long.gif

Staleghoti on