As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fox/adult Disney animation] Krapopolis is apparently appropriately named

1757677787981»

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Cloud I'm not sure why this is the hill you've chosen to die on. At the very basic level we know that Mr Burns wouldn't pay any his employees well, it was a big deal that they lost the dental plan, Homer is in debt from multiple hospital visits, they lost $50,000 on the lotto because they had to fix Santas Little Helper and they were going to let him DIE because they couldn't afford it until they decided to give up the few luxuries they had. They're not getting stuff from food banks but they're not remotely in a good place.

Braces are expensive in general. Winning the lotto and having to lose it to save the dog isn't a good example of them struggling. Plus, dog surgery can be very expensive. And the cost of Homer's hospital visits are very rarely brought up. Edit: I looked it up, and Homer's heart attack cost $50,000. Assuming Homer's insurance is crappy (by your braces example), that would be an absolutely catastrophic expense for most families.

Constant struggling was never really in the show's DNA. I'm kinda fascinated people are remembering it this way.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    They're not in a "good" place. I'd also say they're not in a "bad" place either. Maybe slightly below average would be best. The more the show went on, the more they stopped leaning on that aspect of them. That's sort of why the Frank Grimes episode worked, it was them poking fun at the concept, that they were the slightly below average working family and yet Homer had been to friggin' space. And now we're at the point where the parody is completely broken, where the Simpsons are now a vision of unattainable "wealth" compared to today.

*As an aside, it's also a TV comedy show that frequently hits the status quo reset button. Yeah, a $50,000 bill would destroy a real lower class family. That they were back the next week for another wacky adventure with nary a ripple isn't really indicative of that much.

If you want a better example of that, take a gander at Married with Children. They were so poor they used to eat tang sandwiches, which was just tang powder on bread. Al at one point is about to eat a toothpaste sandwich before stopping himself. All played for laughs. And yet, 2 story 3 bedroom house with garage, basement, and car.

On the sliding scale of fictional families, with the bottom being the Bundys (MwC) and the top being the Huxtables(Cosby show), the Simpsons were a lot more closer to the Bundys and the Connors(Roseanne). I don't know where you'd rank the Winslows (Family Matters) although they were clearly working class level as well but also getting by just fine. And the Tanners (Full House) were certainly not poor, being able to brush off having a car destroy the kitchen at one point(though again status quo reset is doing some heavy lifting here too).

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Yeah, I'd put them at slightly below average too, at least in the first decade or so. They definitely seem to have improved in seasons beyond that - not sure if it's quite unattainable wealth territory but probably unrealistic, as the last episode that sparked all this discussion pointed out.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    They're not in a "good" place. I'd also say they're not in a "bad" place either. Maybe slightly below average would be best. The more the show went on, the more they stopped leaning on that aspect of them. That's sort of why the Frank Grimes episode worked, it was them poking fun at the concept, that they were the slightly below average working family and yet Homer had been to friggin' space. And now we're at the point where the parody is completely broken, where the Simpsons are now a vision of unattainable "wealth" compared to today.

*As an aside, it's also a TV comedy show that frequently hits the status quo reset button. Yeah, a $50,000 bill would destroy a real lower class family. That they were back the next week for another wacky adventure with nary a ripple isn't really indicative of that much.

If you want a better example of that, take a gander at Married with Children. They were so poor they used to eat tang sandwiches, which was just tang powder on bread. Al at one point is about to eat a toothpaste sandwich before stopping himself. All played for laughs. And yet, 2 story 3 bedroom house with garage, basement, and car.

On the sliding scale of fictional families, with the bottom being the Bundys (MwC) and the top being the Huxtables(Cosby show), the Simpsons were a lot more closer to the Bundys and the Connors(Roseanne). I don't know where you'd rank the Winslows (Family Matters) although they were clearly working class level as well but also getting by just fine. And the Tanners (Full House) were certainly not poor, being able to brush off having a car destroy the kitchen at one point(though again status quo reset is doing some heavy lifting here too).

Danny’s a TV personality for a major US city, Joey’s a stand up comedian that has a kid’s show, and Jesse’s a recording artist that toured in Japan, that family is well off if not flat out loaded.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    They're precarious, not struggling. Good months with the odd bad one.
    Which seems to fit with them being the new middle class.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Bob's Burgers movie was solid, if you're a fan of the show I can't imagine not liking it, and vice versa- if you're not a fan, I can't imagine the movie will change your mind. It's more or less the exact same tone and sense of humor as the show. It reminded me quite a bit of the Wharf Horse/Bob Saves the Town two-part episode at the end of Season 4. Part of me wishes they went a little more "big" for the movie, but that's not really the Bob Burgers style.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Woops, wrong thread!

Kyougu on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Bob's Burgers movie was solid, if you're a fan of the show I can't imagine not liking it, and vice versa- if you're not a fan, I can't imagine the movie will change your mind. It's more or less the exact same tone and sense of humor as the show. It reminded me quite a bit of the Wharf Horse/Bob Saves the Town two-part episode at the end of Season 4. Part of me wishes they went a little more "big" for the movie, but that's not really the Bob Burgers style.

It got my mom, who never saw the show, to consider watching it. That's something!

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd put them at slightly below average too, at least in the first decade or so. They definitely seem to have improved in seasons beyond that - not sure if it's quite unattainable wealth territory but probably unrealistic, as the last episode that sparked all this discussion pointed out.

I'm on season 31 ep 7.

Marge: I know it's expensive, but we spend our whole lives worrying about money.
    Homer: That's because we don't have that much. We have a mortgage, a reverse mortgage. I think the house is owned by the car.

Marge: Let's have one damn fling, and hope everything will be OK.
    Homer: You know what? You are right. I am sick of being the responsible one in this marriage.
    Marge: Remember, we can never be poor as long as we have each other.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    jetkojetko FranceRegistered User new member
    I like the Simpsons movies

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    jetko wrote: »

Plural? Isn't there only one?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

The Simpsons Movie and this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzjfrdcN1Z8

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

The Simpsons Movie and this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzjfrdcN1Z8

You know, thinking back I don't think I ever caught the joke in the "ten times more addictive than marijuana" line at 2:10. That's pretty great.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »

Danny’s a TV personality for a major US city, Joey’s a stand up comedian that has a kid’s show, and Jesse’s a recording artist that toured in Japan, that family is well off if not flat out loaded.

Also, they live in one of the Painted Ladies.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Huh? I mean sure cool but wouldn't hulu or disney plus make more sense?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Likely has to do with deals fox made before being sold that they have to honor

That's why D+ had and then lost some of the fox stuff for a while to other places

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Who is HBOmax in the UK? Sometimes it's Sky but not always I think

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Who is HBOmax in the UK? Sometimes it's Sky but not always I think

It's going to be on Disney+ in the UK

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a40363293/bobs-burgers-movie-disney-release-date-confirmed/
    Following the exploits of the Belcher family, The Bob's Burgers Movie will land on Disney+ in the UK on July 13. US fans will get to see the film at home a little earlier, as it is set to be released on Hulu on July 12.

Oh, and I guess this means that not only will it be on HBO Max in the US, but also Hulu

https://deadline.com/2022/06/the-bobs-burgers-movie-gets-hulu-premiere-date-watch-a-scene-1235049251/

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Though Hulu is pretty much mainly Disney now? With no WB ownership?

Streaming service deals are weird.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Last I had heard Disney owned over 50% but not a huge amount over that. Sub-55% if memory serves. Dunno how much WB owns but there is still plenty to be able to own even with Disney running the show.

• Options
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Last I had heard Disney owned over 50% but not a huge amount over that. Sub-55% if memory serves. Dunno how much WB owns but there is still plenty to be able to own even with Disney running the show.

I looked it up - right now it's 33% Comcast (Universal) and 66% Disney. WB doesn't have any stake at all.

• Options
    Are people aware that Disney+ finally has the rest of season 2 of Owl House and the entirety of Amphibia?

Amphibia was ... good, but a little much? Like it had a case of climax fatigue?
    It just throws so MUCH at once? We've had a prophecy, a mysterious letter that will obviously matter in the end, the herons that killed Sprigg and Polly's parents, effectively four episodes in a row with multiple climactic battles, another even bigger prophecy/secret, the whole anime battle/moon ending, Anne dying, meeting God, then getting resurrected? Phew. I felt drained after watching the last three episodes in a row. I did like the epilogue, though. A shame youtube spoiled part of it for me months ago...

As for Owl House season 2
    It's still pretty hilarious how many story beats it and Amphibia share. The ending of season two even mirrored Amphibia season 2's finale, with our protagonist trapped on Earth while a villain takes over their new home; the biggest change is that only Luz's friends escape with her, not her found family like in Amphibia. Obviously, I'm still looking forward to seeing how "season 3" progresses, even in its abridged form.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Are people aware that Disney+ finally has the rest of season 2 of Owl House and the entirety of Amphibia?

Amphibia was ... good, but a little much? Like it had a case of climax fatigue?
    It just throws so MUCH at once? We've had a prophecy, a mysterious letter that will obviously matter in the end, the herons that killed Sprigg and Polly's parents, effectively four episodes in a row with multiple climactic battles, another even bigger prophecy/secret, the whole anime battle/moon ending, Anne dying, meeting God, then getting resurrected? Phew. I felt drained after watching the last three episodes in a row. I did like the epilogue, though. A shame youtube spoiled part of it for me months ago...

As for Owl House season 2
    It's still pretty hilarious how many story beats it and Amphibia share. The ending of season two even mirrored Amphibia season 2's finale, with our protagonist trapped on Earth while a villain takes over their new home; the biggest change is that only Luz's friends escape with her, not her found family like in Amphibia. Obviously, I'm still looking forward to seeing how "season 3" progresses, even in its abridged form.

Amphibia
    I get the feeling that the last episode, the one after the two parter, was supposed to be Season 4 with the girls having gotten super anime powers (cue a training montage as they figure out how to use them), the Core Moon sending monsters of the week out while slowly approaching to wipe out Amphibia, and the prophecy/ultimate spell being revealed over the course of the season.
    Like you said, it was a lot to cram into that last single episode, but there could have been enough for a season.
    or maybe that's just me wishing I had more Amphibia to look forward to.

Owl House
    Did you catch the newspaper headline at the end of Owl House?

• Options
    Crap, wrong animation thread!

• Options

The official poster for ‘THE SIMPSONS: WELCOME TO THE CLUB’.

The short follows Lisa Simpson who, with her heart set on becoming a princess, is surprised to learn being bad might be more fun.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Looks like the King of the Hill revival isn't happening at Fox, but Mike Judge wants to shop it around.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/fox-wont-air-king-of-the-hill-revival-1235214022/

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Fox doesn't own it anymore so that tracks. It's a pity the great north has similar vibes to koth

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    The FOX shows have been a little better recently. The Family Guy episode before the last one had me in stitches at the ending (it's the hypnosis episode). The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode is a full IT Chapter 1 and 2 parody, which the first half of which is actually scary for once.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Vulture did a deep dive on the current state of The Simpsons, with details on how the show's production has changed to make things (arguably, I'm sure) better.

Apparently The Simpsons has got a lot more popular now - the article notes the show is the fourth most-watched title on Disney +, and the eighth for streaming as a whole. Seems loads of kids discovered it during the pandemic.

• Options
    Some noteworthy stuff:

Bob's Burgers is finally bringing Jimmy Pesto back. He's got a new voice actor: Eric Bauza, who voiced Bob's dad, along with a bunch of Looney Tunes, all the Beagle Boys in the Duck Tales reboot, and a bunch of other stuff.

Homer Simpson will no longer strangle Bart. This has sparked a big debate on the internet because of course it has.

Krapopolis is shockingly meh for a Dan Harmon production.

• Options

And yet we'll have it for at least 3 seasons. Wouldn't be shocked if they decided to burn it off during the summer before cancelling it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

And yet we'll have it for at least 3 seasons. Wouldn't be shocked if they decided to burn it off during the summer before cancelling it.

I like how Fox keeps advertising it as "network television's #1 new comedy!" even though, thanks to long animation production and the strikes, it's the only new comedy on network television.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

I like how Fox keeps advertising it as "network television's #1 new comedy!" even though, thanks to long animation production and the strikes, it's the only new comedy on network television.

so technically they are correct
    https://youtu.be/hou0lU8WMgo?si=RPc_dUBhBOjdBGmy