Options

Desktop Dungeons - Say goodbye to your hour/hours/day/week/etc.

• Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Each Class box should be outlined in teal/ neon green indicating that you have completed that class.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dyvion wrote: »
    kfrooster wrote: »
    Woot. Finally beat all the Normal dungeons for the 12 main classes.

EDIT: And just got through the Snake Pit with a Paladin! My life is consumed by this game.

Grats! I'm jealous.

So... I've tried all of the tips from the thread and I still haven't been able to win with wizard... anyone got any other advice?

Hmmm.

The Wizard is powerful.

Elf and Gnome are powerful wizard classes, but the strat guides and so forth say that Gnome is the more powerful option. The thing with the Wizard is that you don't have to worry about multiples of 6, but instead multiples of 5 which means that Gnome is the better option IMO for the first attempts. Though Elf is good too - you can convert 4 glyphs and have 2 mana tiles for 20 mana as a base.

You want to get Pactmaker as your deity and quite early, first thing you get is Learning, then save up for Mana. Then, if you can save the Experience boost up for a possible level up.

You want to go, 1 level one enemy, then take out a level 2 enemy. That's level 1 -> 2. You MIGHT be able to take out a level 4 enemy for 8 points, if so, you want to take out 1 level 2 enemy and then the level 4, otherwise you want to kill 2 level 3. You want to keep doing this until about level 6 or 7. At which point you want to take aim at about a level 8 or 9 and aim for the level up slingshot. This will put you at the next level with a significant EXP boost.

Start wailing upon the boss now. Use all of your mana and hitting as much as possible (Obviously you do this the other way around most of the time). Then mop up all the minor enemies you need to until you level up. Start again with the wailing upon the boss, and use all of your potions to keep the hurt coming.

Basically, you want to minimise the number of level 1, 2 and 3 monsters you kill until late game. Focus on the bigger guys, almost always.

You have a few things that will make this far easier, a) Pactmaker, b) a mana potion in a shop c) a pendant of mana or health d) a non-crappy boss - Nine-Toes, the Goblin, Aequitus etc... is far more good that Super Meat Man, a Frank or other such thingees with high HP.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    With an early fireball, the wizard can tear up the factory. Which I just did. WOOT. All classes unlocked.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    With an early fireball, the wizard can tear up the factory. Which I just did. WOOT. All classes unlocked.

Did the same. Got to level 9 but couldn't get the level 10 boss below 200 health before I bit the dust.

Sheep on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

The funny thing about the Factory, is that every single class - including Berserker wants to find Fireball really, really early.

Nothing beats killing one monster and jumping to level 6.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    They really need to do something about first spawn. Sick of playing wizard, spawning next to nothing but level 5 stuff with no spells anywhere near me.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    gjaustin wrote: »

The funny thing about the Factory, is that every single class - including Berserker wants to find Fireball really, really early.

Nothing beats killing one monster and jumping to level 6.

Yeah, once you learn that trick, the factory is so much easier. I find the crypt to be the hardest.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited February 2011
    I agree 100% that the crypt is the hardest.

Wraiths are easy to fireball, but really mess up any class that can't burn them down from full.
    Vampires can really mess up your exploration as you have to keep going and going to get full.
    Zombies just have so much health.

And, unlike the other maps, you can't use Poison to cheese it. You also lose out on Dracul who is (in my opinion) the second or third best Diety, depending on class.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sheep wrote: »
    They really need to do something about first spawn. Sick of playing wizard, spawning next to nothing but level 5 stuff with no spells anywhere near me.

It should take less than a minute to figure that out, yes?

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Tarantio wrote: »

It should take less than a minute to figure that out, yes?

Even most of those are still winnable though.

Even a Wizard can get some decent kills with melee, so just head towards the nearest glyph and kill what you can.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Pretty much everything level 2 and higher will one shot a level 1 wizard with no glyphs.

Can someone explain to me what "First Strike" actually entails? I assume it means first physical attack means I get to land the first blow. I'm constantly dying to enemies who have, say, 5 health while I'm doing 8 damage and First Strike isn't giving me the actual first attack.

Sheep on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pretty much everything level 2 and higher will one shot a level 1 wizard with no glyphs.

Can someone explain to me what "First Strike" actually entails? I assume it means first physical attack means I get to land the first blow. I'm constantly dying to enemies who have, say, 5 health while I'm doing 8 damage and First Strike isn't giving me the actual first attack.

First strike means your damage is resolved before theirs is.

Some things to keep in mind -

If the monster also has first strike (like a goblin), your attacks will be resolved simultaneously.
    If the monster has 5 health, you do 8 damage, but it has 50% resistance to whatever your damage type is - you ain't gonna win this round.
    If you're relying on the first strike ability of the assassin, keep in mind you have to have the area around the monster explored for that to take effect

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When I completed it as Wizard I'd unlocked a lot of other glyphs, and I think I went Elf rather than Gnome. Also I faced up against a Medusa, and her health is so dire that fireball spam quickly wins the day. Prior to that, the protection-from-death glyph let me cheese a lot of high-level beasties.

The whole game is about luck sometimes! Whoever said it was a combination between a slot machine and a logic/puzzle game was right on the money.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    FINALLY beat normal with a monk. It hadn't crossed my mind before, but Glowing Guardian is a deity that you don't want to bother to worship early on. Worship him in the middle of your final boss battle and you can probably get 3 full heals during it without healing the boss at all.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    FINALLY beat normal with a monk. It hadn't crossed my mind before, but Glowing Guardian is a diety that you don't want to bother to worship early on. Worship him in the middle of your final boss battle and you can probably get 3 full heals during it without healing the boss at all.

Yes! You have discovered the secret to the Glowing Guardian.

Dracul is the best choice for a Monk though. It's how I got 100% physical resist once :)

I hope you've been playing a Human Monk, right?

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, human monk. Honestly, Dracul just pisses me the hell off. I can't get enough piety if I don't commit to him early, but if I commit early I end up with a dungeon of nothing but undead.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, Glowing Guardian is one of those design choices that separates the new players from the experienced. The first time I saw it I thought it was really lame since it didn't really give any permanent bonuses (except for the hard to reach 100 piety bonus which isn't even that great), but later I learned the joy of multiple free heals in the middle of boss fights.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Listening to you guys talk I feel like I must be doing something wrong. I've only ever won once each with Fighter, Thief, Priest and Wizard and in retrospect I think all of those were just getting lucky to draw Medusa as the boss and fireball spam her to death. None of the strategies you discuss seem to work for me. I try to fight higher level enemies to get bonus experience and end up getting my ass handed to me, using up all of my potions so I hit a wall by the time I reach level 5 or so.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Listening to you guys talk I feel like I must be doing something wrong. I've only ever won once each with Fighter, Thief, Priest and Wizard and in retrospect I think all of those were just getting lucky to draw Medusa as the boss and fireball spam her to death. None of the strategies you discuss seem to work for me. I try to fight higher level enemies to get bonus experience and end up getting my ass handed to me, using up all of my potions so I hit a wall by the time I reach level 5 or so.

Find a game where you're level 3 and need 1 xp to level. Find a level 1 monster, don't kill it. Find a level 6 monster. Punch that monster once or twice without dying. Kill the level 1 monster without revealing map squares at all. Regain full health. Finish off the level 6. Voila.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Find a game where you're level 3 and need 1 xp to level. Find a level 1 monster, don't kill it. Find a level 6 monster. Punch that monster once or twice without dying. Kill the level 1 monster without revealing map squares at all. Regain full health. Finish off the level 6. Voila.

This seems like a much too convenient scenario to be easily repeated at will.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

These happens
    more than you think, plus often you are trying to set up these kind of scenarios. The game is like if Freecell was fun.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

The point is just that you can level up off of a weak monster while fighting a strong one, for a free heal. It's a pretty useful trick, especially when fighting the dungeon boss.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

It's not really. What you want to be doing is finding the highest level monster you can defeat, or cheese to death (Either by poisoning them, fireballing, using CYDSTEPP, or the healing glyph), then leaving low-level monsters around to farm for EXP. Save your potions for the boss, or a situation that would be unwinable, but with the addition of a potion will allow you to keep going.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

It's not really. What you want to be doing is finding the highest level monster you can defeat, or cheese to death (Either by poisoning them, fireballing, using CYDSTEPP, or the healing glyph),

Yeah, I can only do one of those four things. :( Ah well.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

If you reinterpret this to include "you're level four, find a level seven" or "you're level five, find a level eight", etc., this happens in almost every game I play, regardless of class or map.

This is pretty much key to the game.

ColorlessGreen on
    Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    why is this game so addictive

jesus fuck

where did my night go

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    why is this game so addictive

jesus fuck

where did my night go

Didn't you read the thread title? There's a disclaimer right there! Sheesh. You'd think people would be more observant about these things.

Info You: Desktop Dungeons will devour your time!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    monk worshiping Drakul with vision spell and attack buff spell - absorbing health, doing 20% more damage, and with a total of 70% resistance to all attacks - is broken as eff

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Is your avatar Michele Foucault? Don't know why I think that but it is driving me crazy being unsure.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Never have I deleted a game as quickly as this one for fear of its awesome glory.

Beserker worshiping the making hating god let me kill the Skeleon boss at level 8

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Is your avatar Michele Foucault? Don't know why I think that but it is driving me crazy being unsure.

yes.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've realised from reading this thread that my version of DD is positively ancient now, I downloaded the new version and in my first two games swiftly got victory as Halfling Fighter and Human Beserker.

Piece of piss.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OH GOD

FUCKING

DAMN IT.

Had a win if I only remembered to activate my fucking bonus damage glyph.

He survived by 3 hp after my CYDSTEPP went off. And had first strike.

Hate my fucking life.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Snakepit with Monk wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

Of course, I got lucky and wound up with poison immunity almost immediately.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Taurog does not care for your puny magics.

Also this game is fucking awesome.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I just boned myself trying the Warlord/Library challenge.

A severe tactical snafu on the dragon boss that left me with no resources for the other guy.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Holy shit, half-dragons are ridiculous.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    cozy duckcozy duck Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just wanted to chime in and say that this game is awesome.

I ended up playing this game exclusively for about a month last year and finished the normal game and the four extra dungeons with all 18 classes each. It felt pretty awesome getting to the point where one would even beat the factory and crypt somewhat consistently. And going back to the normal game is an enlightening experience regarding how much tactic is actually involved. Going from winning maybe in 1 out of 5 times to something like 95% is pretty incredible in a game that seems as random as this. It's especially enlightening to compare beginner experiences with veteran ones, here some examples in hopes of helping out some of the novices (especially the ones that think this game is pure luck):

-Beginners seem to have trouble with wizards, but once you get used to the game and its balance, they're one of the easiest classes. This is mostly because you can often get fire real early (one cool trick is to use the wall destruction glyph to dig your way to the remaining glyphs), this allows you to quickly start killing higher level foes and earning bonus experience.

-Transmuters, while in my opinion not very fun to play as, are somehow incredibly overpowered, as in I never had any trouble at all playing as them. I guess this stems from the unique dynamics that follow from their skill set.

-Monks are awesome too, and I think its a cool moment when your mind realizes just how much halfing your attack but also your damage taken actually changes the game

-It's crazy how good the elf race actually is. One thing which might not be obvious is that elfs aren't only good because mana is an essential and scarce resource. The key factor is that, unlike humans and dwarfs, their stat boost are fixed and not procentual. That means that they make the biggest difference early on, and less in later phases, the complete opposite of how it is for the other mentioned races. But early on is where each extra stat point matters the most, because due to how the bonus experience system works you want to take on really strong enemies asap. Personally, I ended up playing at least 80% of my games as an elf. There were only a few class/dungeon combinationswhere other races seemed superior.

-It's also ironic how at first glance the fighter seems like the easiest starting class, but they're actually the worst, because their skills hardly make a difference. Seeing same level enemies is a waste of a skill slot, because you should be on the lookout for higher level foes to kill, and while doing that you'll find same level enemies naturally. And the extra experience is negligeable compared to bonus experience.

So yeah, that's it. I'm happy to see so many people discovering this gem due to this thread. Good job, PA forums!

cozy duck on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Goddamn the fighter indeed. I cannot seem to beat the crypt with him. Been playing human but I think elf is next.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius