As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Philip Seymour [chat]man

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Podly wrote: »
    here's my phillips seymour hoffman story

so one day hugh jackman was getting pizza at the slice joint across the street from my work. paparazzi were mobbing him and followed him down the street. a crowd assembled to watch him and people called out his name. i was like "who cares?"

the next day I saw phillip seymour hoffman walking down the street. nobody even turned around to do the "hey was that the dude from capote?" and I was inside my work going "OH MAN IT'S PHILLIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN! I LOVE HIM"
    That would be me too.

It is crazy how little recognition he gets. He is one of the best actors working in Hollywood today.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    here's my phillips seymour hoffman story

so one day hugh jackman was getting pizza at the slice joint across the street from my work. paparazzi were mobbing him and followed him down the street. a crowd assembled to watch him and people called out his name. i was like "who cares?"

the next day I saw phillip seymour hoffman walking down the street. nobody even turned around to do the "hey was that the dude from capote?" and I was inside my work going "OH MAN IT'S PHILLIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN! I LOVE HIM"

That's both an awesome and terrible story at the same time.

Awesome because PSH.

Terrible because you were the only one who got excited over PSH.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Funny Games is that retarded meta movie about how the audience ahbors violence until its violence they like right?

Yes, both it and the US remake were both very, very stupid

I don't think you got it

Is that the movie where two twenty somethings barge in on a family in their home, lock the doors, and beat them with golf clubs? Trash.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    people say PSH is my celebrity look alike but that makes me sad as much as I like the guy

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    this is probably self indulgent patting my own back but i think i'm really good at articulating my hate.

I worry that society has really polarized everything, and the only way that I can express my likes and dislikes is by apotheosizing the things I love and demonizing the things I hate, and can only offer up blase and detached disinterest for anything that finds itself between the two.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    kosh, I think it's your turn

I think it's desc's, then mine.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hahahaha goddam inquis

Arch on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think if you've ever watched an action, horror, or any kind of violent movie and enjoyed it and then watched funny games and got disgusted and said it was stupid and pointless

then I think funny games succeeded perfectly and did what it was trying to do brilliantly

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    PSH bugs me. Like, its probably because he plays characters that bug the fuck out of me very well, but, its ended up transferring the bugging-ness to him.

It's like William H. Macy. I can hardly watch a movie he is in because he always plays the same type of obnoxious character and does it so well.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    people say PSH is my celebrity look alike but that makes me sad as much as I like the guy

O_o

Maybe it's how you move or your posture or something because, from the pictures of yourself you've posted, I don't see it at all.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Funny Games is that retarded meta movie about how the audience ahbors violence until its violence they like right?

Yes, both it and the US remake were both very, very stupid

I don't think you got it

eddy you and I just understand each other.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    this is probably self indulgent patting my own back but i think i'm really good at articulating my hate.

I worry that society has really polarized everything, and the only way that I can express my likes and dislikes is by apotheosizing the things I love and demonizing the things I hate, and can only offer up blase and detached disinterest for anything that finds itself between the two.

I sympathize with this feeling and I try to tone down my urge to articulate my tastes in extremes.
    Paprika and Eternal Sunshine are still masterpieces and Memento is still total crap, though.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited February 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »

O_o

Maybe it's how you move or your posture or something because, from the pictures of yourself you've posted, I don't see it at all.

I was 35 pounds heavier to be fair

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just read that apparently Rhianne hit Chris Brown first.

Can I get a confirm/deny.

Because I don't recall hearing that once at the time.

Leitner on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I loathed it for its meta/breaking the fourth wall bullshit. Naomi Watts is terrible in almost everything she's in. I hate that kind of attitude from the film maker, "i'm not actually showing kids getting shot so it's a commentary on movie violence and not also an exploitation of that!"

also, they killed a dog. That honestly bugs me way more than seeing violence against children in movies. Like, in Signs, those assholes just left their dogs out to die. Fuck that.
    Any violence against animals upsets me. Or rather, all violence against innocents. And I guess I consider nature innocent by ... well by nature.

Aldo on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    kosh, I think it's your turn

I think it's desc's, then mine.

Nope, Desc attempted to scare The Brute with a scalpel. You're up.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Leitner wrote: »

For some reason having seen both of them after the incident I don't think the provoking strike (if there was one) warranted the ending strikes.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I see it, but you're a much more handsome version of him.

I get leonardo dicaprio, which I assume means a poor man's leo -- which I totally take as a compliment. I also get Macauly Caulkin (sp?) which I hope means "you look like a normal person version of him."

Preach says I look like a young willm dafoe, which is funny because I was walking down the street the other day with some friends, made eye contact with him, and he totally stared at me and was like "OH SHIT SKYNET IS COMING FOR ME!"

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    PSH bugs me. Like, its probably because he plays characters that bug the fuck out of me very well, but, its ended up transferring the bugging-ness to him.

It's like William H. Macy. I can hardly watch a movie he is in because he always plays the same type of obnoxious character and does it so well.

Have you ever seen Spartan? That has Macy in a more subdued role.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    This is what deadpool thinks of your 4th wall:

deadpool_shoryuken_by_ricard08.jpg

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I get leonardo dicaprio, which I assume means a poor man's leo -- which I totally take as a compliment. I also get Macauly Caulkin (sp?) which I hope means "you look like a normal person version of him."

Preach says I look like a young willm dafoe, which is funny because I was walking down the street the other day with some friends, made eye contact with him, and he totally stared at me and was like "OH SHIT SKYNET IS COMING FOR ME!"

orlando

fucking

bloom

Arch on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    i do not like my celebrity look alike comparisons, aside from Liev Schreiber.

meaning i don't like my looks being compared to them, not necessarily that i hate the actual celebrity.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think if you've ever watched an action, horror, or any kind of violent movie and enjoyed it and then watched funny games and got disgusted and said it was stupid and pointless

then I think funny games succeeded perfectly and did what it was trying to do brilliantly
    I don't watch horror, thriller and action movies for the visceral depiction of violence. I know people who do, but I look away when there's any kind of realistic-ish violence.

I am a man, so I get kind of a kick of displays of strength, marksmanship etc, but I get repulsed when it goes into details.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    My celeb look alike is apparently Oscar Wilde.

The implications are fun.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My celeb look alike is apparently Oscar Wilde.

The implications are fun.

he isnt even a celebrity!

Arch on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Leitner wrote: »

Lucas put it in the special edition. The fans were pissed.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    PSH is stellar in Synecdoche, NY. The movie itself is one of my favorites, even though it is kind of a failure because Charlie Kaufman bit off more than he could chew for his directorial debut.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Aldo wrote: »

I don't watch horror, thriller and action movies for the visceral depiction of violence. I know people who do, but I look away when there's any kind of realistic-ish violence.

I am a man, so I get kind of a kick of displays of strength, marksmanship etc, but I get repulsed when it goes into details.

Most if not all of the violence in Funny Games is implied, which makes it even more interesting that it gets such a visceral reaction.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Young Paul McCarthy and young Hugh Laurie are my look-a-likes apparently. :? Not sure what to make of that.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I used to have a really super-flattering celebrity lookalike when I was, like, 17.

Feral on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    I loathed it for its meta/breaking the fourth wall bullshit. Naomi Watts is terrible in almost everything she's in. I hate that kind of attitude from the film maker, "i'm not actually showing kids getting shot so it's a commentary on movie violence and not also an exploitation of that!"

also, they killed a dog. That honestly bugs me way more than seeing violence against children in movies. Like, in Signs, those assholes just left their dogs out to die. Fuck that.
    Any violence against animals upsets me. Or rather, all violence against innocents. And I guess I consider nature innocent by ... well by nature.

I didn't see why critics gave high praise to Precious. It was an hour of solid abuse against a teen girl.

I guess the next Oscar winning movie will be a slavemaster beating a slave for an hour and a half. "It's so bold and horrifying but it's a story that must be told. Two thumbs up!"

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

that was one of the points the movie was making. murder is fun when it's a headshot with no blood

being savegely beaten to death with a golf club isn't, but they're both murder. It's just one is glossed over and packaged and the other isn't.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i do not like my celebrity look alike comparisons, aside from Liev Schreiber.

meaning i don't like my looks being compared to them, not necessarily that i hate the actual celebrity.

I don't think I've gotten a lot of celebrity comparisons, although a co-worker once said that my hair looked particlarly kevin sorbo-like that day. I was flattered.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »

I didn't see why critics gave high praise to Precious. It was an hour of solid abuse against a teen girl.

I guess the next Oscar winning movie will be a slavemaster beating a slave for an hour and a half. "It's so bold and horrifying but it's a story that must be told. Two thumbs up!"

Yeah dude and Schindler's List was just 2 hours of jews being murdered. What sick perverts are making these movies?!

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Most if not all of the violence in Funny Games is implied, which makes it even more interesting that it gets such a visceral reaction.

Yea, I'm more repulsed by Saw actually.

Aldo on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Will said I look like Christian Bale in The Machinist. I don't know if that's good or bad.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

oh yeah if you had the slicked back hair (inception or aviator) and round sunglasses that would be uncanny

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For some reason having seen both of them after the incident I don't think the provoking strike (if there was one) warranted the ending strikes.

Oh I'm not defending him, that clearly wasn't anything approaching self defence. I just find it interesting that I don't recall the media narrative at the time mentioning it once.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Will said I look like Christian Bale in The Machinist. I don't know if that's good or bad.

He was deathly skinny in that movie.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.