As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age 2: Hi-Res in OP; Mark Spoilers, you filthy dog lords

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Varric is the new Tali

what an amusing turn of events

Solar on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Varric is the new Tali

what an amusing turn of events

Yeah, I hope fans can have the same devotion to varric as they do to Tali.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is this the new shit?

I never finished DA1 cause it was soooo boring and I am trying to remedy that today but fuck is it sooo boring.

This is the new shit, and are you mother fucking ready for it?

Have you tried bumping the combat down to easy? and hitting cone of cold? I really liked the story in origins but the combat definately drags it down if it's not your thing

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Greetings new thread.

Graphics suck, boobs are too big, everything is dumbed down, The Witcher is god, Merril is for pedophiles, voices are horrible, BioWare is selling out, is racist and hates gays etc etc.

Now we've gotten that out of the way.
    How about that chesthair?

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Is this the new shit?

I never finished DA1 cause it was soooo boring and I am trying to remedy that today but fuck is it sooo boring.

This is the new shit, and are you mother fucking ready for it?

Have you tried bumping the combat down to easy? and hitting cone of cold? I really liked the story in origins but the combat definately drags it down if it's not your thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wB6lX1Z64Q&feature=related

I played the DA2 demo and was like yeah this is what I want in my new shit. I even bought the DA1 game and guide in collectors edition thinking it was going to be a Bioware RPG but with a vicious action RPG gameplay. Nope!

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I never get tired of Five-O for Violence. Every time.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't have a problem with Isabella's rack, I just kinda thought that it might be just exaggerated.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah the first game is way more baldurs gate than DA2, but it is still a good game if you can get into it

Since 2 doesn't directly build off of origins I don't think your experience with 2 will be greatly diminished by not playing the first game, but you should still play origins because it is great

I don't think varric is really indulging much outside of the first part where your sister is smuggling watermelons and you can 3 shot an ogre

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is this the new shit?

I had the same problem. I fucking loved Baldur's Gate and wanted to love Dragon Age so bad, but got about ten hours in and it just started to feel like a chore. Even with combat set to easy, there was just too much of it, I got so bored of clicking on dudes. So many minions getting in the way of what looked like a pretty interesting story.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with Isabella's rack, I just kinda thought that it might be just exaggerated.

Personally, I'm way more offended by all the female characters that don't have ginormous racks than the one that does.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    smof wrote: »
    Is this the new shit?

I had the same problem. I fucking loved Baldur's Gate and wanted to love Dragon Age so bad, but got about ten hours in and it just started to feel like a chore. Even with combat set to easy, there was just too much of it, I got so bored of clicking on dudes. So many minions getting in the way of what looked like a pretty interesting story.

I hated everything about the first Dragon Age's combat, even though I eventually slogged through and finished it (last night), but I've already played through DA2's demo 5 times now.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I should give that demo a go then I guess.

I'm trying to work out why I love Baldur's Gate (am currently replaying it) so much but failed to love Dragon Age, when DA is basically BG with better writing, graphics and UI. Maybe it's down to nostalgia.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think that the combat is detached enough in BG that I have a different set of expectations from it, stylistically than the DA1 combat. Like I could accept that each fight was more about the setup at the pause screen then the act of swinging an axe at an ogre.

Regardless I love both games.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have yet to find a game trailer that wasn't improved by the Hawaii Five-O theme.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    smof wrote: »
    I should give that demo a go then I guess.

I'm trying to work out why I love Baldur's Gate (am currently replaying it) so much but failed to love Dragon Age, when DA is basically BG with better writing, graphics and UI. Maybe it's down to nostalgia.

Because the limitations of the technology used for Baldur's Gate made you fill in the blanks with your own imagination. It's why reading a book is often more satisfying than watching the movie version. I think the more the developers can show, the more they need to show to make up for it.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    well, I played the demo

I don't know if I was doing something wrong, but I really hate this game

it feels like Mass Effect's developmentally challenged cousin in the way the controls work

why would you bind turning the camera, attacking and moving all to the same mouse button? That's just madness.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Are the controls really that much different from origins? The only thing right click didn't do in the first game was attacks (I think)

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Control wise it felt pretty much identical to Origins to me.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Are the controls really that much different from origins? The only thing right click didn't do in the first game was attacks (I think)

No, it's exactly the same as the first one. Right-click did move, attack and camera in that one, too.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So I just checked the webpage and it turns out they haven't actually hit a million demo downloads yet? That seems odd to me

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wasn't for me, but I'm always super lucky when it comes to not getting bugs.

Didn't get a single bug in New Vegas either.

Huntera on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Some parts of it are, what system are you playing it on? I had issues with cutscenes stopping to load for seemingly no reason on PC

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    is the demo super buggy for you guys too

Yeah.

I had to make sure V-Sync and SSAO was off so it wouldn't crash and I didn't get those annoying load screens during everything.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also I had to turn off force stereo sound for headphones. It ran fine and didn't crash after all of that.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    well I played on the console and had zero bugs

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PC: Bugs (more likely due to old computer)

PS3: Sound cut out bug but nothing else and played a lot better (again read above)

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    UI bugs on the pc can be passed off as being an old build, and a lot of stuff is fixed by turning of Vzync and making sure you're not in DX11

I still played the demo a million times though

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

No, it's exactly the same as the first one. Right-click did move, attack and camera in that one, too.

Yeah, I have no idea where all the complaints about A and D rotating the camera, or right click auto attacking are coming from as they're exactly the same as DAO

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

yeah

it's still exactly as aggravating to play as the first one

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I'm on my second playthrough of DA:O. Got the aid of the elves, mages and Eamon.

Now I just need to do the dwarves, but that means going through the fucking Deep Roads again.

I really want to finish this run, but on the other hand I'm not sure if I want it THAT badly.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    bet there's a skip the deep roads mod

Shabooty on
  • Options
    DontShootToastersDontShootToasters the prettiest bulb at the ballRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Stilts wrote: »
    So I'm on my second playthrough of DA:O. Got the aid of the elves, mages and Eamon.

Now I just need to do the dwarves, but that means going through the fucking Deep Roads again.

I really want to finish this run, but on the other hand I'm not sure if I want it THAT badly.

I just went through the deep roads with Haste on the whole time and it made things a bunch more tolerable

momentum is supposed to make it even better

DontShootToasters on
    digichuckarm2.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i am excited about this game.

Melding on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A good thing about the deep roads is that you can leave and come back at the end of each section

so you don't have to do it all at once

Unlike the fucking fade grrrrrr

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    A good thing about the deep roads is that you can leave and come back at the end of each section

so you don't have to do it all at once

Unlike the fucking fade grrrrrr

oh. really?

That would have been good to know.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think I am literally the only person who didn't find the deep roads bad at all

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No way, I loved the Deep Roads. But I thought the game was uniformly excellent, so I'm already an outlier.

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I liked the deep roads and the fade, but then I only played through the game once

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Fade dragged on. Deep Roads was the best bit because it was the only section that felt like an adventure. All the other parts were based in or around settlements or towns. The Deep Roads section was like this trek through caves to the centre of the Earth. You felt isolated and in a place that was truly hidden away and forgotten. Everywhere else (Denerim, Brecilian Forest, Redcliffe and even the Sacred Ashes) they were all sorta like places where people already lived.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I liked the deep roads.

They had a pretty authentic mines of moria feeling.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
This discussion has been closed.