As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jack Thompson to face hearing.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    crash5s wrote:
    Doronron wrote:
    crash5s wrote:
    Oh there are a LOT of competent lawyers with actual evidence that aren't fuckwits waiting to take up the cause.

I'd rather whacko jacko keep the torch.

What evidence? Why should there be anyone prosecuting the hobby to begin with? There's nothing inherently wrong with gaming or its enthusiasts. Gaming is not a crime. Gaming is not a sin. Gaming should not be the scapegoat for society's problems.

Well there is evidence that interactive media can affect people in both a positive, and negative way.

Scape goat or not other countries are moving to moderate it. I think a large portion of why that hasn't been done here is due to the fact that people realize Hillary Clinton and Thompson are idiots.

Would you really rather have a competent charasmatic lawyer take up the cause and start using actual studies and tests? I sure as hell don't want that.
    hey guess what. if the lawyer competent, charismatic, and well-informed, that will be good for us. he would take the process in a direction that helps everyone. and if he doesn't, then he's not competent, charismatic, or well-informed.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Toast wrote:
    Toast wrote:
    The thing is, a more coherent lawyer might manage a more useful "offensive", but they're also more likely to engage with actual facts and make actual reasoned arguments and stuff, rather than just the sensationalist horseshit that Thompson pumps out and the media laps up. I see the "better the devil you know" argument, but I'm not sure I buy it.
    Pro tip: read the goddamn discussion.

There's nothing stopping this supposed Omega-Lawyer from coming to the forefront now. The idea that Thompson is keeping the competant people at bay is pure fantasy.

I'm attacking the fantasy, not the reality. I fully acknowledge the "nothing's holding anyone else back" point, but even without it the "we're better off with JT" argument doesn't hold up, IMO.
    Ah, sorry. I missed the "I'm not sure I buy it" part.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It is about Goddamned time

I mean seriously

Why it took this long is beyond me

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Arcibi wrote:

I mean seriously

Because everyone was like "Oh lets ignore him he'll go away."

Which, historically speaking, has never fixed anything.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If Jack is disbarred, there need to be some parades in the streets! And fireworks! And a giant Jack Thompson float, complete with frothing mouth! Seriously though, I hope we can finally be rid of him once and for all.

Also, 'lol' at Whacko Jacko.

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    If he gets disbarred, can we chip in and send him some congratulatory flowers?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You know what will probably happen is if he gets disbarred he will probably go to some backwards state and become a senator.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You know what will probably happen is if he gets disbarred he will probably go to some backwards state and become a senator.
    Yeah, but the only one feasibly dumb enough to elect him would be Flor- oh shit

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, but the only one feasibly dumb enough to elect him would be Flor- oh shit
    Please tell me there aren't any seats up for reelection soon that aren't a sure thing for the incumbent.

Couscous on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Arcibi wrote:

I mean seriously

Because everyone was like "Oh lets ignore him he'll go away."

Which, historically speaking, has never fixed anything.
    least successful AIDS cure ever.

Also, this news here, today, it's a good thing.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    bhealeybhealey Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

bhealey on
  • Options
    Jon 118Jon 118 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So Thompson will finally eat a law suit, and hopefully lose his lisence to practise law.

WHAT TOOK SO FUCKING LONG?

On another point; him being disbarred WILL remove all or most of his influence with officials, but it won't stop him making an impact on the more impressionable people. Ah well, better than nothing. At least he'll find his insane crusade set back a lot. And on the subject of him becoming a senator: chances of it happening are pretty much zero. Who would be crazy enough to vote for a lawyer who got disbarred and had a fairly massive reputation for making trouble?

Don't answer that.

Jon 118 on
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    bhealey wrote:

I would be MOST displeased... I can't even imagine the levels of stress hormones that would be released should this ever happen.

If he does get his license revoked, it's basically over for him in the world of MAJOR influence.

Anything he could do would be tainted by his disbarment, and ANY of his opponents would just have to go "Hey, weren't you BANNED from being a lawyer due to being a total fuckwit?"

He can't even play up the position of martyr for the same reasons. All people have to do is mention his antics and it's all over. Whether it be in the court room, or any of his various shenanigans on the internet. The man basically nailed himself to the tree.

The only people who will listen to him are the hyper-reactive soccer moms.

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    B.C. wrote:
    The only people who will listen to him are the hyper-reactive soccer moms.
    Those people vote.

Couscous on
  • Options
    RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It´s about time. And not just from a gaming perspective. Can you imagine how much tax money that guy has plucked down the toilet? Yes, dear Americans; Jack is a good show, but you are paying for it.

Raggie on
    ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Raggie wrote:
    It´s about time. And not just from a gaming perspective. Can you imagine how much tax money that guy has plucked down the toilet? Yes, dear Americans; Jack is a good show, but you are paying for it.

You know? That's got a nice ring to it..."The Jack-Jack Show"

Doronron on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You know, about the whole stupid "Jack is holding back the really good lawyers" argument - I would think that even if that came to pass, wouldn't we want a good, responsible lawyer being critical of video games? It seems to me that the kind of crazy things Jacko wants like pulling all M games from shelves and highly restrictive laws etc., are just that: crazy. A responsible lawyer wouldn't go after the outlandish things he does. To be totally honest, the gaming industry probably could use a bit of a legal makeover, maybe a reorganization of the ESRB, that sort of thing. Actions do need to be taken to strengthen our side and make us fit within reasonable expectations. Even if you think we're already set, I wouldn't object to a reasonable lawyer finding a reasonable fault with gaming and helping to fix it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You know, about the whole stupid "Jack is holding back the really good lawyers" argument - I would think that even if that came to pass, wouldn't we want a good, responsible lawyer being critical of video games? It seems to me that the kind of crazy things Jacko wants like pulling all M games from shelves and highly restrictive laws etc., are just that: crazy. A responsible lawyer wouldn't go after the outlandish things he does. To be totally honest, the gaming industry probably could use a bit of a legal makeover, maybe a reorganization of the ESRB, that sort of thing. Actions do need to be taken to strengthen our side and make us fit within reasonable expectations. Even if you think we're already set, I wouldn't object to a reasonable lawyer finding a reasonable fault with gaming and helping to fix it.

Honestly, I don't think it really needs anything resembling a makeover.

The ESRB's ratings make sense 99% of the time, all that needs to happen is simple contracts between distributors and retailers regarding the sale of M-rated titles to minors.

If the retailer fucks it up, they've breached the contract and pay a reasonable fine, do it enough and the distributors pull the contract and the retailer is left without the ability to sell those products anymore. It's simple, elegant, and involves no fucking legislature whatsoever.

Which, of course, means it won't happen, it makes too much goddamn sense.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Doronron wrote:
    Raggie wrote:

JackJack.jpg

Taramoor on
  • Options
    RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don´t think a perfect solution can exist. Even if everyone would follow through with the ratings, how reliable are the ratings? They are based on basically someone´s gut feeling, not science. On top of that, no two people are alike and media has different effects on each individual. Children develop differently. A 10-year-old kid can get traumas from a movie scene that doesn´t affect another 5-year-old kid. I know adults who won´t watch any violent movies because they´ll get nightmares. From my point of view, the attempt to make the ratings even more "accurate" is foolish, because in the end, the only person who could determine what kind of material an individual child should have access to, is the child´s parent. I see the current rating system good enough guideline for that. And that´s how they should be seen as: guidelines, not God´s word, 'cause they are not.

Raggie on
    ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Taramoor wrote:
    Doronron wrote:
    Raggie wrote:

JackJack.jpg

Awww, what a cute widdl -- HOLY FUCK IT'S ON FIRE! PUT IT OUT! PUT IT OUT!

Imagine JT being able to spontaneously combust -- I mean physically speaking rather than metaphoically...

I wouldn't mind more Incredibles films, by the way...

Doronron on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Raggie wrote:
    I don´t think a perfect solution can exist. Even if everyone would follow through with the ratings, how reliable are the ratings? They are based on basically someone´s gut feeling, not science. On top of that, no two people are alike and media has different effects on each individual. Children develop differently. A 10-year-old kid can get traumas from a movie scene that doesn´t affect another 5-year-old kid. I know adults who won´t watch any violent movies because they´ll get nightmares. From my point of view, the attempt to make the ratings even more "accurate" is foolish, because in the end, the only person who could determine what kind of material an individual child should have access to, is the child´s parent. I see the current rating system good enough guideline for that. And that´s how they should be seen as: guidelines, not God´s word, 'cause they are not.

I feel like the ratings are pretty perfect...even if the final E/T/M rating isn't perfect, the extra details on the back of the box give enough info for most people.

I can find two M games, and even if I weren't already intimately familiar with their content, the details on the back give you an idea of what to expect, so you can avoid buying the "realistic blood and gore" game, but be ok with the "some adult themes" game, or something to that effect.

Really, the only ESRB fuck-up I can think of was Oblivion, which was obviously an M game from day one, and I still don't understand why they rated it T at first.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Doronron wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:
    Doronron wrote:
    Raggie wrote:

JackJack.jpg

Awww, what a cute widdl -- HOLY FUCK IT'S ON FIRE! PUT IT OUT! PUT IT OUT!

Imagine JT being able to spontaneously combust -- I mean physically speaking rather than metaphoically...

I wouldn't mind more Incredibles films, by the way...
    As long as Brad Bird is still writing and directing, we're in complete agreement.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Well, I do seem to recall shortly after The Incredibles' release, a sequel was greenlit...

Doronron on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

Really, the only ESRB fuck-up I can think of was Oblivion, which was obviously an M game from day one, and I still don't understand why they rated it T at first.

I believe that stems from that they're not "humans" but rather fantasy creatures. Also, is there blood from inflicting wounds? (Never played Oblivion) In general showing blood == M.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Nocren wrote:

I believe that stems from that they're not "humans" but rather fantasy creatures. Also, is there blood from inflicting wounds? (Never played Oblivion) In general showing blood == M.
    If you do the right questlines there is fucking tons of blood in Oblivion. I mean there' blood sprays and that, but the Dark Brotherhood are nasty.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Nocren wrote:

Yes, there is blood from wounds; when you hit somebody there is a reasonable blood splatter. Plus, if you keep on hitting somebody, your weapons gets this nice red paint job...

Jon 118 on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Nocren wrote:

See, that's my problem with, for example, Republic Commando's rating. I thought it was a pretty violent game, with blood being spewed on your visor and bodies literally being ripped apart. But it got a T rating, simply because none of the gore was red and you were killing aliens. It seemed pretty off to me. On the other hand, you get something like Smash Bros. Melee or Twilight Princess, which has nowhere near that level of violence, with the same rating.

The ESRB has some rating mishaps, many times. Don't get me started on the whole Hot Coffee bullshit.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

The problem is when the ESRB starts retroactively re-rating games after release. Look, if you made a mistake, live with it. If you decide on a whim to change a game's rating after it hits shelves, costing retailers and publishers money for reprints and stickers and what have you, you'll find yourself about as relevant as the Comics Code Authority.

At least, that's how I see it.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Q. When should a game be re-rated?
    A. When views on how bad it's contents are have significantly changed (like the way that some old films that were 18's would probably only rate 15 now)

Hmm... interesting thought; would Jack Thompson be rabid enough to start a campaign against a game if it's rating is questionable (not obviously wrong, just in the hard to judge section)?

Jon 118 on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Jon 118 wrote:
    A. When views on how bad it's contents are have significantly changed (like the way that some old films that were 18's would probably only rate 15 now)

Hmm... interesting thought; would Jack Thompson be rabid enough to start a campaign against a game if it's rating is questionable (not obviously wrong, just in the hard to judge section)?

Well, I think JTs thought is that pretty much every game should be AO

Rook on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Rook wrote:
    Jon 118 wrote:

Yeah, good point. Lets hope he loses his case.

Jon 118 on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Jon 118 wrote:
    Rook wrote:
    Jon 118 wrote:

I'm pretty sure Ol' Jack wants all video games, developers, gamers, and gaming memorabilia put on an island in the pacific and nuked from low orbit.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Axen wrote:
    Jon 118 wrote:
    Rook wrote:
    Jon 118 wrote:

I'm pretty sure Ol' Jack wants all video games, developers, gamers, and gaming memorabilia put on an island in the pacific and nuked from low orbit.

Hey, here's an idea; how about instead of Jack suing people over incidents supposedly caused by video games we sue him over the death of every gamer who dies, claiming that they commited suicide because he insulted their favourate games. And since he keeps trying to get games banned, how about we try to get his name and personality banned.

Jon 118 on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh, it's about fucking time.

Why didn't this happen sooner?

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    bhealeybhealey Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

bhealey on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Let bhealey be a hero and example to us all.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Come on return of epic quote tree!

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    ZedroZedro Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I wonder how his family is handling it all.

"Daddy, please, stop this! We want to eat and buy things!"

"Can't stop. Must fight...VIDEO GAAAAAAMES!"

Don't get me started with the wife's situation, if he's even still married.

Zedro on
    sig.pl?Zedro
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Come on return of epic quote tree!

The what?

misbehavin on