• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I skipped this entire thread just to post about how much I like wine

I like it a lot!

I like learning about it!

Sheri on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Do people make Pokemon jokes when drinking or talking about 151? If they don't, they should. I would, if I drank. I would be all over that shit. Exclusively drinking nerdy drinks: Sonic Screwdriver, Incredible Hulk, etc.

one nerd beer for my nerd friend, one normal beer for me because i am normal.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Do people make Pokemon jokes when drinking or talking about 151? If they don't, they should. I would, if I drank. I would be all over that shit. Exclusively drinking nerdy drinks: Sonic Screwdriver, Incredible Hulk, etc.

I wish I could make a Venn diagram of people who discuss Pokemon and people who discuss wine but I have to go

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zoel wrote: »
    pipe do you smoke

I found that when I quit smoking I have a tendency to vomit black puke right around the time I haven't smoked a few days, should I deign to drink. I think it's more associated with that, as opposed to any other biological process

When that event happened I had quit smoking for 5 years

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

shot0001yw3.jpg

#pipe on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i've officially knocked out 15 / 60 beers at the local joint with all the beer on tap

i need to really step it up

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pipe how are the gentlemen adventurer cards going?

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    they're not started!

I have found a printer though.

#pipe on
  • Options
    FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What gentlemen adventurer cards? That is relevant to my interests.

FactorySquirrel on
    "That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    but you are none of those things

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i've officially knocked out 15 / 60 beers at the local joint with all the beer on tap

go pro or go home

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok. I have a question though.

Do you think you could like sneak in like a thin piece of rope to act as a line to break up my contact details to everything else.

So it'd be

Blake
    Gentlemen adventurer
    Line
    Contact stuff

Blake T on
  • Options
    FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    but you are none of those things

how do you know

FactorySquirrel on
    "That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I sincerely doubt you are multiple gentlemen at the same time, it's extremely unlikely you are an adventurer, and I hope you are not made of cards

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

go pro or go home

well when i spend $20 every time i go it makes it hard to go regularly

because the draw there is i can get a burger & fries with a free pint, and then i can continue spending 4.50 for 23 ounce beers

so i end up drinking like 3 - 4 beers a visit and leave feeling pretty good

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Beer is good. I think beer is in a modern resurgence, and we should discuss it more than wine.

Dark belgian beers are the best. That is my definitive statement.

streever on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    streever wrote: »
    Beer is good. I think beer is in a modern resurgence, and we should discuss it more than wine.

Uh, beer's been in a "resurgence" for a couple of decades now.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Druhim wrote: »

Uh, beer's been in a "resurgence" for a couple of decades now.

Dear druhim,
    I will cease being silly and hyperbolic at once. Thank you for correcting me on my failings.

streever on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, that was so obviously a silly and hyperbolic post!

Here's a tip. Next time you want to be silly and hyperbolic you might want to broadcast that by kicking up the hyperbole and then actually saying something silly to differentiate it from a post an ignorant person might make. Or just accept that you weren't really clear to begin with. :)

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    Yeah, that was so obviously a silly and hyperbolic post!

Here's a tip. Next time you want to be silly and hyperbolic you might want to broadcast that by kicking up the hyperbole and then actually saying something silly.

Dear Druhim,
    Your criticism is noted and accepted as valid. Thank you for further correcting me! I will endeavor to perform better in the future on this forum.

streever on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    i dunno i bet there are more microbreweries and shit now than there were twenty years ago

seems a silly thing to pick a bone about, druhim.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I feel like Druhim is describing my usual method of posting.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ah, I get it. You can only be sarcastic in response when someone corrects what they assumed was a serious post.

edit: really DL? all I said was that beer's been in a resurgence for a couple of decades now. In other words, it's not a new phenomenon. I don't see how that contradicts it being a continuing trend. In fact it would contradict me only if I'd said that it was no longer a trend.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    i dunno i bet there are more microbreweries and shit now than there were twenty years ago

seems a silly thing to pick a bone about, druhim.

I think belgium really is in a resurgence--10 years ago, they were producing more and more boring lagers.

Many of their formerly high-producing regions were down greatly.

I'm planning a 2 week solo bike tour there in September, and looking into breweries, they've had 15 or so open up in the last year in a few areas that had been down to a few tiny no-export breweries.

Anyone have any advice on places to go? Particularly amazing no-export breweries? I don't know if there are any belgies here, but worth a shot...

--
    as a side note, I don't honestly think the "put more hops in it" trend that has characterized American beer-making for the last decade really qualifies as a resurgence. If anything it strikes me as an endurance sport or a bizarre masochistic obsession. Lately though, I've been seeing a lot of microbreweries that aren't obsessed with hoppiness shooting up around New England, and that fills my heart with joy.

streever on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Spelling aside, he's right though.

The push for quality beers as opposed to everyone drinking their country of origin's mass produces beer is a good step in the right direction.

If you want to be pedantic about it I suppose you could say resurgence of quality and variety of beer.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I agree that it's good! I simply said it's not new. I don't get how this is causing so much controversy.

Aside from the fact that I said it.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    maybe it's the way you stated it and then the way he responded thus making both of you look like douchebags arguing over nothing that important?

i dunno

just drinking my morning oj over here and it was like "man they kinda testy this morning"

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    maybe it's the way you stated it and then the way he responded thus making both of you look like douchebags arguing over nothing that important?

i dunno

just drinking my morning oj over here and it was like "man they kinda testy this morning"

Same here, oj and everything.

I need to get back into drinking wines and ports. I have not had any in quite some time. Friends constantly drinking cheap wine put me off of it for a bit.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    nice, artreus. gotta get your vitamin c

i mean i only got 4 1/2 hours of sleep but hell

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so did anyone already post Oz and James' Big Wine Adventure

because that's basically everything a wine newbie needs to know in tv show form

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Pax 08 we went to a wine bar in seattle called Purple and it was really fantastic. The wine-food pairings they had were just amazing. I am dying to go back

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited March 2011

i dunno

Sorry, I should clarify that I really was being silly--I know that doesn't translate well over the internet, but I actually wasn't offended by Druhim or trying to piss him off. I just finished getting (very correctly) corrected on wikipedia and then caught on a mistake by a co-worker, and was having a bit of fun with my response.

I actually would disagree with his assertion, but didn't take it seriously and didn't bother to write out my thoughts on beer-making.

I don't have a lot of evidence, but my general impression is that beer really is in a modern resurgence. The last decade seemed to be a big push by American micro-breweries to produce the hoppiest beers on earth, and the homogenization of European beers by large American breweries.

Actual beer pubs were awfully rare in my state, and my city just had it's first open up late last year--3 others have opened up in the same region now, which is pretty impressive, considering we had none prior.

I don't know. Maybe there is a world-wide thing I and my region missed out on, but up until the last year or so, the resurgence hasn't been here.

We have an incredible wine store that procures really unique wines from all over the world (they have 2 people on staff who just go to different countries and travel through small vineyards)--they've quadrupled their cold beer selection in the last two years, and added a whole beer cave area where you can just buy single bottles of fancy beers.

Meanwhile, the generic liquor store down the street removed a whole rack of corona/pacifico/budweiser 60 packs and replaced it with a shelf of single bottle belgians, french, and other high-quality beers.

From my perspective, the resurgence in quality and variety is new.

streever on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Artreus wrote: »

i dunno

Same here, oj and everything.

I need to get back into drinking wines and ports. I have not had any in quite some time. Friends constantly drinking cheap wine put me off of it for a bit.

I have never had a good port. I don't even know how to select one. This is something I've always felt I should rectify.

However, when it comes to after-dinner drinks, I usually go cognac.

LTM on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Definitely need to find this.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2011

i dunno

Sorry, I should clarify that I really was being silly--I know that doesn't translate well over the internet, but I actually wasn't offended by Druhim or trying to piss him off. I just finished getting (very correctly) corrected on wikipedia and then caught on a mistake by a co-worker, and was having a bit of fun with my response.

I actually would disagree with his assertion, but didn't take it seriously and didn't bother to write out my thoughts on beer-making.

I don't have a lot of evidence, but my general impression is that beer really is in a modern resurgence. The last decade seemed to be a big push by American micro-breweries to produce the hoppiest beers on earth, and the homogenization of European beers by large American breweries.

Actual beer pubs were awfully rare in my state, and my city just had it's first open up late last year--3 others have opened up in the same region now, which is pretty impressive, considering we had none prior.

I don't know. Maybe there is a world-wide thing I and my region missed out on, but up until the last year or so, the resurgence hasn't been here.

We have an incredible wine store that procures really unique wines from all over the world (they have 2 people on staff who just go to different countries and travel through small vineyards)--they've quadrupled their cold beer selection in the last two years, and added a whole beer cave area where you can just buy single bottles of fancy beers.

Meanwhile, the generic liquor store down the street removed a whole rack of corona/pacifico/budweiser 60 packs and replaced it with a shelf of single bottle belgians, french, and other high-quality beers.

From my perspective, the resurgence in quality and variety is new.

It's cool man, sorry for any ruffled feathers. My perspective that this isn't new comes from there being successful and popular microbreweries here in the NW that have been around for over 15 years. At least in some regions, this isn't a new phenomenon but I agree that it is expanding and that's definitely a good thing!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Keep in mind that Druhim comes from a time when beer was really the only safe thing to drink.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also, the standard NW Safeway beer aisle probably rivals most "specialty" beer shops in other parts of the country.

LTM on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    God protein shakes are hella gross.

Artreus on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Artreus wrote: »
    God protein shakes are hella gross.

Troof

Their failed attempts at "chocolate milkshakes" or what the hell ever they were going for are made even worse by the realization that I am drinking protein

I realize that may be silly and neurotic of me, but I can't help it! That much protein going up a straw makes me want to gag for some reason

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    risumon wrote: »

Definitely need to find this.

There are a few episodes on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTzPozCEt9E&feature=related

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif