As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beyond Good and Evil (HD)! XBLA and PSN. On sale for 200msp on November 28th

FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited November 2011 in Games and Technology
It's motherfucking

Beyond Good and Evil HD

CLICK HERE TO BUY IT

(it's only 200msp on November 28th!)

Outsourced XBLA box art!

boxartz7sp.jpg

Achievables

Racing Champion
Score 1st in all 4 hovercraft races

Bounty Hunter
Chase down 4 looters

Big Heart
Get 10 hearts for Jade's HP

Hovercraft
Power up the hovercraft

Game King 1
Win 3 times in the coconut shell game against Peepers

Gamble King 2
Win 3 times in the pellet game against Francis

Kicking ***
Kill 10 Guards
Project Apollo
Pilot the spaceship to the moon

Beyond Good and Evil
Complete the game

Wildlife Photographer
Take 6 film rolls of animal photos

Data Manager
Collect 11 Mdisks

Moneybags
Discover 80 Pearls

Story

You play as Jade, one of two people who run the Hillys Lighthouse Shelter, which has been taking in the kids who have had their parents kidnapped by the DomZ, an alien force that is constantly attacking the planet. After the lighthouse is attacked and Jade is offered a job by a mysterious person, a story of intrigue/mystery/conspiracy/cow bartenders unravels. Also, Rastafarian rhinos.

Jade
20 years old. Human. Runs Jade Reporting Company. Her main weapons are a staff and a camera. Later on, you gain a wrist-mounted disc launcher that you can use to shoot things with while looking around in first person. The camera is used heavily in the game - a fairly long sidequest involves photographing nearly 60 animals. You can also snap and keep your own custom photos.

Pey'j
50 years old. Hybrid man/pig. Jade's uncle who has raised her since she was a kid. Is an inventor/repairman and helps Jade take care of the kids at the lighthouse shelter.

Technical Details and Observations
  • 800MSP is the permanent price
  • Game runs in native 720p for HD whores
  • VGA 4:3 users are forced to letterboxed widescreen
  • Has stable framerate of GameCube version
  • Textures are from PC version
  • 2GB of space required to download
  • Contains native voice acting for most languages
  • [strike]Subtitles are stuck permanently on[/strike] UPDATE - you have to use the original game menu's options to turn them off, so you have to live with them for at least the opening cutscenes before you can toggle them off. In game, press DPAD UP, then go to Load/Options, then you can turn off subtitles.

FyreWulff on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Also for those old BG&E fans or those waiting for the eventual PS3 release need a reminder, I am streaming the game here:

- stream over -

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Beyond Good and Evil was indeed super awesome, but this had better not just be a tease.
    I have been wait for years to find out what was on Peyj's hand at the end

Make with the sequel!

chamberlain on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If I buy this game (which I will) it will be my fourth copy of the game. I really, really like BG&E.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is one of my favorite games of all time. I think it's time for some MS funbucks...

toolbert on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Beyond Good and Evil was indeed super awesome, but this had better not just be a tease.
    I have been wait for years to find out what was on Peyj's hand at the end

Make with the sequel!

We know what that is...
    It's that DomZ infection, and the armor guy got the very last treatment for it. So it's something the injection can fix quick, but as far as we know the good guys ran out of the necessary treatment.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hmm. I bought Beyond Good and Evil for my trusty GameCube and while I liked it, I'm not sure I want to buy it again.

I'm wondering if "Contains native voice acting for most languages" means Dutch voice acting has been left out (since not all languages apparently made it). Jade should not sound like Clover from Totally Spies.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Any one know if we're going to see this on PC?

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I like where they timed the "Buy the full version" screen to if you're playing the trial.
    It's right after Pey'j complains that Mammago tows in people to sucker them into buying their stuff.
    Sceptre wrote: »
    Any one know if we're going to see this on PC?

Probably never. There isn't any considerable new graphics work.. in fact it's basically the PC version with the stability of the GC version.

I think the only point to a PC re-release at this point would be as a GFW title.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damn! It was a silly pipe dream, but I was hoping that buying BGE off the website while at work would do some kind of background download on my console at home, and the game would be good to go when I got there.

Ah well, I'll boot my XBOX up and let it Download while I shower I suppose.

Either way , BG&E boughted! Again.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    From what I hear, this game doesn't have brightness controls? That's kind of annoying if true, as certain games tend to be dark on my TV at normal settings.

I've only played a bit of this game previously - is there a point of no return where you're shut out from finishing up your photos and such?

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Damn! It was a silly pipe dream, but I was hoping that buying BGE off the website while at work would do some kind of background download on my console at home, and the game would be good to go when I got there.

Ah well, I'll boot my XBOX up and let it Download while I shower I suppose.

Either way , BG&E boughted! Again.

It technically should, but your Xbox has to already be on.

Sometimes it cocks up and waits for you to press A on the console to start the download though.

I'm enjoying this immensely so far (stream is still going!) but the forced subtitles are annoying, mostly because ubisoft did a poor job of timing them.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Okay, I'll take that back. YOU CAN TURN SUBTITLES OFF.

But you have to press D-pad up to bring up the original game's menu system, hit Load/Options on the spiral menu, go to Settings, then Subtitles -> off.

The settings menu you get from pressing the start menu is EXACTLY THE SAME but is missing the subtitles option. LOL, Ubisoft.
    Ganluan wrote: »
    From what I hear, this game doesn't have brightness controls? That's kind of annoying if true, as certain games tend to be dark on my TV at normal settings.

I've only played a bit of this game previously - is there a point of no return where you're shut out from finishing up your photos and such?

No brightness controls, but the original game didn't have them either and brightness controls are not a MS requirement for XBLA titles.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh crap! It's out?! Ahhhhh! :mrgreen:

Love this game. It's been too long since I've played it. This is so bought as soon as I get home from work tonight.

Everyone who loves games needs to buy this. Hopefully it'll get them rolling on BG&E 2 if it sells well.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh god no I don't want to buy this game again, I want to buy the next one

Sigh

*downloading... 1%*

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    If I buy this game (which I will) it will be my fourth copy of the game. I really, really like BG&E.
    I wish I still had my original Xbox copy. I've learned that trading games in is never a good thing. Never. I always regret it.

I'm buying this for sure, but I really need to track down the other copies too, because like you I really, really like this game.

anoffday on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Trying to decide if I want to rebuy this. It still feels like I played through the GC version a few months ago. In reality, that was 4 years ago!

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    I wish I still had my original Xbox copy. I've learned that trading games in is never a good thing. Never. I always regret it.

I'm buying this for sure, but I really need to track down the other copies too, because like you I really, really like this game.

The Xbox version is actually the only one I've never been able to track down.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bought this and its close to knock off Shadow Complex as my favourite Arcade title of all time. (if it didnt already)

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok, downloading and heading to work now. Tonight should be fun. I can't wait to re-play this awesome game.

anoffday on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ganluan wrote: »
    After you land on the moon.
    Also AFAIK there's a 'space whale' you should photograph on the way there - that's usually the final creature for most people, but it's easily missed.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I've never played this.

Should probably fix that, by the sounds of things!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    anoffday wrote: »

The Xbox version is actually the only one I've never been able to track down.

In order of versions people should have if they want to collect the old versions, it was

GC (obviously the target platform). Locked framerate @ 60fps, minimal bugs if any. Standard Ubisoft.

PS2. Had some bugs, but it's framerate was at least locked at 30fps.

Xbox. Buggy, it's framerate jumps up and down a lot for no particular reason.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The GC is actually the only one I have played. The PC and PS2 versions are sitting unopened.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It is my understanding that the GC version has a greatly abbreviated version of the song that plays in the bar ("Propaganda!").

SteevL on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hear nothing but good things about this game but I can't figure out what kind of game this is. It seems action, but also rpg, with puzzles and a cooky story? What sets this game apart as awesome?

I don't want to wiki/google it because I am sure I will run across spoilers galore.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    SteevL wrote: »
    It is my understanding that the GC version has a greatly abbreviated version of the song that plays in the bar ("Propaganda!").

Sounds the same to me. Propaganda seems to have a lot better mixing this time around though, especially the bass.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I hear nothing but good things about this game but I can't figure out what kind of game this is. It seems action, but also rpg, with puzzles and a cooky story? What sets this game apart as awesome?

I don't want to wiki/google it because I am sure I will run across spoilers galore.

It's similar to Zelda.

Also, I find it funny that this Xbla release is only $10 cheaper than it was when I bought it new a month after release 6/7 years ago.

Renzo on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ObiFett wrote: »

Action Adventure with puzzles. It combines LoZ's dungeon exploration and sidequests with Mario 64's power-star collecting. Stars are now "Pearls" which are sold to one particular shop that sells you upgrades to continue the main story. You collect Pearls by doing a surprisingly wide amount of sidequests.

The dungeons are genuine LoZ esque dungeons, with an emphasis on simplistic stealth later on.

The combat and action are more LoZ than Mario. You don't have a jump button and you only have one attack button, but the combat is way more fun than LoZ because Jade has at least cooler combos. There is locking on, but you can also attack different baddies by pointing at them a-la Prince of Persia.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Sounds the same to me. Propaganda seems to have a lot better mixing this time around though, especially the bass.

Huh. I never played the other versions, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I remember reading somewhere that the Gamecube version's song had to be cut down to fit on the disc. If it wasn't, that's good to know!

SteevL on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the info!

If its similar to LoZ, then combined with all the rave reviews this gets, I guess its a must buy.

Demo first, though, as always.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This game is amazing. Anyone who hasn't played it needs to purchase it right now.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Huh. I never played the other versions, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I remember reading somewhere that the Gamecube version's song had to be cut down to fit on the disc. If it wasn't, that's good to know!

I know the Gamecube had less voice options per region, you might have heard someone miunderstanding that.

I think the US only got English and Spanish as options for GC.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I knew there was something I was supposed to do this morning!

Finally I get to see what all the fuss is about with this game.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    ToastlyToastly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just reinstalled this and beat it like 3 weeks ago. So good. I did all the side quests except one, is there any reward for getting every pearl?

Toastly on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Instant buy confirmed.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Had some extra point lying around so bought this based on the amount of praise I've heard. This is my first time playing this and I'm just past the factory. I think it's bloody fantastic, and it holds up really well for a game that's nearly 9 years old. The music is fantastic and I'm just generally enjoying the atmosphere of it all. Sad that it took so long to get around to it, but I'm glad that I eventually did.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Forgot how awesomely sassy Secundo was.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That's another thing that is awesome about this game, the music.

BG&E is one of my favorite games of all time for sure. It also is the only game I can remember ever buying without knowing anything about it. It was probably a year or two after it came out, and I was walking through Gamestop with some extra money in my pocket looking for a game. I saw this on the shelf, looked at the back, and took it to front and bought it. I had literally not even heard of it by name before then. To this day I still have no idea why I bought a game like that. I never do that. Maybe it was God telling me to buy this awesome game.

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    -stream ova -

streaming again. I know it's off-screen, but at least it's direct feed audio.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    rabblerouserrabblerouser Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    anyone familiar with the game? I'm wondering how difficult the achievements are. It seems like there's a lot of things you can miss and then you're screwed

rabblerouser on