Options

[Comics News] IV: The Voyage Home

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    It's just so randomly dirty and dark. There are other issues bu I think if you made the blue brighter and everything else less washed out it could have been ok. As it is I feel worried.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    fucking hate that version of the suit

I'm not a big fan of it myself

but Henry Cavill looks just like Superman should. Very handsome, but in a friendly way. That hairstyle is just right as well.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    At least that suit will draw off any naysayers over the DCnU Superman suit.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    MHfOs.jpg

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    I would hate to be the person who has to hose Henry Cavill off after a day in that. Literally hose, he'd be so sweaty.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    JaythreefJaythreef Registered User regular
    He looks really uncomfortable.

Or like they just asked him, "What do you think of the suit?" and he's trying to let them down gently.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    It needs a belt. Even the DCnU Superman has a belt (even if it's the wrong color)

It looks like he has a big cartoon belly button!

Tairu on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote:
    It needs a belt. Even the DCnU Superman has a belt (even if it's the wrong color)

I agree.

It needs a belt, and it needs to have some of the padding and all of the ugly line detailing removed.

• Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    I really like the suit. It gets the alien quality down that the DCnU suit tries to have but doesn't.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The Infinite is now finite due to creative differences.

Looks like that's one more book for Liefield to write and draw at DC. Red Lanterns!

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Creative differences, aka nobody was buying that stupid shit, and Kirkman had better things to do with his time.

I'm a Kirkman fan, and follow pretty much anything he does. I own full runs of Wolf-Man and Haunt. And I still gave The Infinite a wide berth.

Munch on
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    I bought the Infinite :(

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Super Dinosaur needs to be axed too. That was a book that just kind of fell apart after issue #3 and was just trying so hard to be like a Mark Millar "made to be sold to Hollywood," even the first trade didn't sell that well.

• Options

why
    TexiKen wrote:
    Super Dinosaur needs to be axed too. That was a book that just kind of fell apart after issue #3 and was just trying so hard to be like a Mark Millar "made to be sold to Hollywood," even the first trade didn't sell that well.

I only read two issues, before dropping it. I was just bored by it. And yeah, I agree that it seemed to be made for media exploitation. Like, I'm pretty sure Kirkman saw how much money the Man of Action guys made off Ben 10 and Generator Rex, and set out to get a cartoon and some toys made. I'm also not all that into Jason Howard's style. There's something about it that feels oddly plastic and antiseptic, to me.

That said, I kinda hope it does get turned into a toy line, because I'd totally buy a Super Dinosaur toy.

In related news, it's Super Dinosaur week at the Sindiecate. James Harren's is bad. Ass.

• Options
    I like time travel, especially silly time travel. I mean you had three versions of the main dude on the team lol.

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Help the uninitiated, is/was Super Dinosaur anything like Rex Ready?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Gaslight wrote:
    Help the uninitiated, is/was Super Dinosaur anything like Rex Ready?

No, it was about a somewhat annoying super genius kid and his friend, a talking t-rex, as they work in a super secret location as they fight other bad guy dinosaurs over a newly discovered element and another earth below ours. Kirkman made the series under the idea that there needs to be more fun kids comics out there, but that was undercut by how transparent the series was about having multiple toys and costumes and just trying to be a cash cow for merchandising.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Munch wrote:
    Would it be out of order to suggest it might help if he could learn to express that opinion like a grown adult instead of a mentally-challenged fratboy?

The thing is, that just leads to the same ol' same ol' comics criticism, where everyone tries to mince around and be very nice, even about work they don't care for.

I realise I'm coming back to this a bit late, but I feel the need to clarify: I'm not saying Brandon Graham can't say he thinks Judd Winick isn't any good at writing comics, I'm saying there are better ways to say that. For example, he could say "I think Judd Winick isn't any good at writing comics", instead of "HURR HURR FUCKIN' REAL WORLD HURR HURR". This would have the advantage of not making anyone who doesn't already agree with him think 'Christ, what an ill-mannered dick'.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    To be fair, "the dork from fuckin’ MTV’s Real World," is a pretty apt description of Winick.

It'd be like calling me, "the dork from the fuckin' Penny Arcade's comic forum."

It's not factually inaccurate, just kinda mean.

• Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    I've always just thought of you as "That One Blue Beetle Guy."

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I call munch The Turtle

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Munch wrote:

why
    TexiKen wrote:

I only read two issues, before dropping it. I was just bored by it. And yeah, I agree that it seemed to be made for media exploitation. Like, I'm pretty sure Kirkman saw how much money the Man of Action guys made off Ben 10 and Generator Rex, and set out to get a cartoon and some toys made. I'm also not all that into Jason Howard's style. There's something about it that feels oddly plastic and antiseptic, to me.

That said, I kinda hope it does get turned into a toy line, because I'd totally buy a Super Dinosaur toy.

In related news, it's Super Dinosaur week at the Sindiecate. James Harren's is bad. Ass.

I would buy the hell out of Super Dinosaur toys!

• Options
    aw, Moon Knight is confirmed as ending at issue 12.

• Options

Aw maaaan

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Munch wrote:
    To be fair, "the dork from fuckin’ MTV’s Real World," is a pretty apt description of Winick.

It'd be like calling me, "the dork from the fuckin' Penny Arcade's comic forum."

It's not factually inaccurate, just kinda mean.

Sure, but I'm pretty certain that in this context "dork" is intended to hurt. Scenarios like that annoy me, because, like, you're not better than him, broseph. You're writing a comic book too. Sorry to break it to you, but you're also a dork.

A couple of years ago, I went to a Comic Book Club Live here in NYC. It's a weekly show where three guys get together to discuss last week's comics, and usually have a guest of some sort. For that particular show, happening the Tuesday after that year's NYCC, the guest was a stand-up comedian who was performing at that NYCC. He brought up a group of people he saw there who dress up in Starfleet uniforms and perform Shakespearean plays, and then started ragging on them for being super-dorky. At this point, righteous rage started welling up inside me, but fortunately one of the hosts was like "Wait, who are you to shit on them, you're doing stand-up at a comic book convention", and I felt better.

Maybe I'm just reading into it. Sorry, I just get really annoyed when people who fall in the traditional nerd/geek/dork social stereotypes try to seem cool by putting down other nerds/geeks/dorks.

• Options
    Solar wrote:

Aw maaaan

I think that's better than the alternative, have it going with a completely new team, and ending on a higher note. It seems because it's Bendis and Maleev they aren't pulling a Thor Mighty Avenger or All Winners Squad and getting a chance to end the book the way they want to.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote:
    Solar wrote:

Aw maaaan

I think that's better than the alternative, have it going with a completely new team, and ending on a higher note. It seems because it's Bendis and Maleev they aren't pulling a Thor Mighty Avenger or All Winners Squad and getting a chance to end the book the way they want to.

I know, it's just that Bendis' best work with Maleev was his Daredevil run and I was hoping that those two together on Moon Knight was going to be something similarly great. And so far, it has been really good, but twelve issues feels sadly short. Seems like these days those guys just can't keep a project going on longer a year, which is a shame because they are an excellent team.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think it was more the book just not selling all that well than Bendis and Maleev not being able to keep up. I know Bendis said he had Daredevil-length plans for Moon Knight.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I think even more interesting thing is, what the fuck will bendis be doing after avengers/moon knight then. I mean that leaves just UCSM right now right?

• Options
    Moon Knight probably sold well enough to stay in print, just that Bendis and Maleev's rates were too much and they didn't want to make the book for less. This goes with what was written about Marvel's penny pinching, top creators still get paid the big bucks but if the book they love or want to do isn't moving copies they have the option of moving or taking a pay cut while on the book.

I have to think Dale Eaglesham on Alpha Flight was a total waste for Marvel in terms of artist-to-sales content.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Looking through the leaked Marvel April 2012 solicits (seriously why haven't they been officially released yet?) I'm noticing a welcome lack of A vs. X-men tie-ins. Don't get me wrong it's only the first month and I'm sure more will follow but for now I'm happy. Just please keep the non-Xmen solo books out of this please.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Liefield's pencilled vs. inked pages on the Infinite

It seems like those were thumbnails and the inker did all the work, which might explain how Liefield was able to draw two books recently. Got to commend those inkers, especially how the last panel on the second page saves the right eye from wondering off.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Good on that inker for turning Liefeld's extremely rough sketches into something worthwhile. Hopefully he finds work somewhere else in the industry.

Still, I can see why Kirkman might balk at it. If you hire someone with an extremely recognizable style, and what you get is that style filtered through and sanitized by another artist, you'd probably be a bit pissed.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I don't even know what to say to that.

I'm bummed out, because I had the absolute vaguest interest in The Infinite? But I know I'd never have read it anyway? But seeing those inked pages, that interest comes back much stronger?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    jesus

just

man.

That inker did a fantastic job, and Liefeld comes off as a touch sympathetic. Jesus, Kirkman.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Yeah, tough situation. Clearly Kirkman has an argument here but it also seems like he's becoming more and more of a doucher as time moves on.

It's funny too because, when I think of Kirkman's writing it's on par with Liefeld's art in a sense. They both are highly simplified (for the most part), kind of amateurish at times, and periodically just outright hilarious in how terrible it can be. (I still love TWD).

• Options
    edited January 2012
    http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/idws-transformers-robots-in-disguise-1-seven-page-preview/23777/
    seven page preview of Robots in Disguise

tons of unique designs! exciting occurrings!

Antimatter on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    John Layman and John McCrea on IDW's new Mars Attack ongoing

MarsAttacks_Cover_McCrea_col_LowRes.jpg

• Options
    And it has 55 variant covers, several by top-tier creators. Plus, Layman and McCrea? The co-creators of Chew and Hitman, respectively? Fuck, yes. Plus, Layman's proven he's capable of doing awesome stuff with licensed properties, as with Godzilla: Gangsters and Goliaths, and Army of Darkness v.s. Marvel Zombies.

Also, here's a thing; Why Manga Publishing is Dying (And How It Could Get Better). It focuses on the challenges manga's facing at home and abroad (including a 43% drop in U.S. sales), many of which are shared by the American comics industry. Notable problems include an aging readership, lack of a concerted digital distribution plan, the troubles faced by print media in general, and piracy. Interestingly, it points out that the cheap, anthology magazine format, long considered a positive, may be hurting the art form as well.
    io9.com wrote:
    -- manga is still popular: it's just all being pirated online. A Google search for "manga" returns seven "scanlation" aggregators and zero manga publishers in the top ten, while searches for "comics," "books" and "graphic novels" turn up stores and publisher sites, and even a search for "anime" turns up mostly legitimate sites, apparently thanks to FUNimation's aggressive use of DMCA Cease & Decist notices.

----

But manga publishers, both in the US and Japan, are also to blame for their fear of New Media and their bungled attempts at digitizing their stuff. Most Japanese publishers have no coherent digital strategy, and the extra step of licensing them in America makes them even slower to react to change. Perhaps wary of creating an iTunes-like behemoth which could drive prices down, publishers haven't united in any reasonable way to create a consistent digital newsstand/bookstore format for their titles.

----

One problem is that Japanese manga publishers still rely on magazines to launch new titles, and the magazine model itself is obsolete. If you're buying songs on iTunes, you don't need to buy an entire album when all you want is one song. And there's no way I'm signing up for Starz network when I only want to watch Torchwood: Miracle Day.

In the same way, manga readers can't be expected to buy an entire 400-page manga magazine anymore when they only want to read their one favorite title. It seems like the obvious answer is just to skip the outdated magazine format altogether and focus on the higher-quality, buy-to-own graphic novels. Unfortunately, as veteran manga artists Kentaro Takekuma and Ken Akamatsu pointed out in a fascinating seven-hour discussion on the future of the manga industry, the magazine format always helped midlist artists by giving them spillover readers from kids who bought Shonen Jump to read Naruto but ended up reading the whole thing on the john later.

As a result of the decline in magazines, in mainstream manga publishing, the rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer.

----

The truth they don't want you to know, perhaps, is that publishers are unnecessary; Japanese self-publishing is booming. The traditional model of manga success, as promoted in Bakuman, is all about getting picked up by a big publisher and enduring harsh hazing and having your manga ripped up by your editor in front of you to teach you humility and so on. (What do you expect a manga in Shonen Jump to say?)

----

But if you don't cultivate a young readership, your audience will simply die off, like Weekly Comic Bunch, the 2001-2010 magazine whose biggest draws were sequels to '80s manga Fist of the North Star and City Hunter. Big Gold, another magazine specifically targeted at older readers, was canceled in 1999; a Japanese editor joked to me that it had been canceled "because all the readers died."

----

Like American comic books, manga started out as cheap entertainment for kids, but while American comics faced their dwindling readership by turning into an adult collector's item with color, thicker paper and higher production values, manga magazines (and to a lesser extent, graphic novel collections) still use cheap ink and cheap paper to cram in as much pages-per-yen value possible.

This makes them an anachronism in an era where newspapers, phonebooks and pretty much any disposable printed media seem inconvenient at best, and environmentally irresponsible at worst. No matter how cheap you make it, you can't get people excited about grimy newsprint anymore--

It's a long, detailed article, that gives an interesting look at what has long been considered the model American publishers should aspire to.

• Options
    huh! very nice.

This discussion has been closed.