Options

Dragon Age Thread - [Please post in new thread]

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Bioware has achieved a unique feat. They have finally created a game where I dislike all of my romance options to a point where I won't even try them just to see what happens.

...Meh, I honestly think you should give Isabela a chance. Sure the sex jokes wear thin but as you talk to her more...you see that their is quite a bit more to the character.

That being said...I fully understand why you might not want to put your character's pecker anywhere near that.

Still wish I could have romanced Aveline...she's the best one. Her second quest is too hilarious though.

I honestly hope in the future, that Bioware comes to understand that some of us...actually like normal relationships.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Bioware has achieved a unique feat. They have finally created a game where I dislike all of my romance options to a point where I won't even try them just to see what happens.

...Meh, I honestly think you should give Isabela a chance. Sure the sex jokes wear thin but as you talk to her more...you see that their is quite a bit more to the character.

That being said...I fully understand why you might not want to put your character's pecker anywhere near that.

Still wish I could have romanced Aveline...she's the best one. Her second quest is too hilarious though.

I think the cutscene with Isabella when you go to see Anders is a compelling case for not romancing dat shit.

But honestly, I'm just not swayed. I've tried taking Isabella with me and she's never contributed anything interesting. Forget her.

But yes in general this game is frustrating me. I really wish that
    You didn't lose Bethany for the majority of the game. She's the only mage who doesn't A) Annoy me (Merril) or B) Disagree too fervently with my character (Anders)

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What? Isabella will wreck shit with the proper spec. She's a goddamn machine if you set her tactics just right.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ken O wrote: »
    Bone Pit Act 1 Spoiler
    I know it is cheap, but in the big Dragon fight is about half way over and it suddenly turned from the rest of my party and started chasing my archer. Me running in circles around the room with the dragon chasing me was too funny to stop doing. The rest of my party is then chasing the dragon who ignores them to continue chasing me. It was like an odd conga line.

Kiting is, unfortunately, the best tactic in most serious boss fights.

It's kinda boring.

It was more of an, "oh god it's going to bite me, run!!" then a tactic in my case. All that was missing was Yackety Sax playing in the background.

Ken O on
    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah...

That's how I feel...like...
    I really liked Bethany...now I'm stuck with Mr. Whines-a-lot or Ms. I-don't-understand-the-consequences-of-my-actions.

It sucks man.

On Kiting:

It's funny how the increases running speed has made kiting so much more effective.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, by the beginning of Act 3 you can tell there is no real way out without Meredith getting taken out of power. Orsino and she would have come to blows within weeks or months, and by then she may have just requested the rite of Annulment anyways and triggered the powderkeg that is Anders.

More interestingly, I think its odd that the only non-plot relevant companion you can get is Fenris. I wonder if he's a hint at something in the Imperium, like they're going to unleash an army of Lyrium-infused super soliders while the Templars and Mages fight?

Gah, so many hanging plot threads. Like the creepy one about Avernus and the Architect. And the Grey Wardens during the Qunari bit. Or Zevran taking out the Crows. Or Alistair and Empress Celeste. And of Course missing Warden/Hawke and Leliana's idea that theres a reason behind that.
    You need to explore more and take more quests, Or not kill everyone in DAO:Awakings, There are encounters for the Avernus stuff, a quest involving Zevrhan,outside the Blooming Rose in Act 3, and Alistair is a little more difficult depending on if he's king or not.

It is all wrapped up you just need to explore to find it all.;-)

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah...

That's how I feel...like...
    I really liked Bethany...now I'm stuck with Mr. Whines-a-lot or Ms. I-don't-understand-the-consequences-of-my-actions.

It sucks man.

On Kiting:

It's funny how the increases running speed has made kiting so much more effective.

It makes me want to play a Mage just so I don't have to deal with either of them.

Also Demiurge who are you talking to.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    Jeff210Jeff210 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    End of act 1 spoilers:
    regarding bethany
    I brought Bethany into the deeproads. As soon as Hawkes mom came and begged not to bring her I knew something was going to happen. I went through all the deeproads and after she died googled to see if there was any way to save her. Reloaded a save hours previous and brought Anders to come to the rescue.

I really feel the same type of emotions I felt when playing DAO with the human noble origin and city elf origin, which is great. Really attached to some of the characters.

Jeff210 on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I'm rolling along on normal, enjoying it immensely but only slightly *playing* in the sense of doing more than hit a couple of abilities with Hawke and letting the premade tactics run the NPCs.

This is pretty standard, I figure. I'll amp it up to hard and beyond for a 2nd playthrough and really get into the meat.

And then I got to
    what I'd consider to be the first real boss mob, the uber profane zappy guy after you get locked in and tell the feeder to GTFO

And he just...wrecked me. It brough a huge smile to my face. Actually made me go back, look at equipment, tactics, skills, and, you know, play on something other than autopilot.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Got the game yesterday and I'm avoiding this thread because I don't want to deal with spoilers.

Still, there is one thing I want to say. This game reminds me a lot of Baldur's Gate 2.
    In that you're plunked into a big, unfamiliar city filled to the brim with sidequests and you need to gather up X amount of gold if you want to continue with the plot.

Perhaps not the comparison that sprang to most people's minds, but it did to mine.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Regarding a rezzing party members: There is a potion for that. You throw it and any dead party members within its area of effect come back to life. It's called "Mythal's Favor"

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    sterling3763sterling3763 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jeff210 wrote: »
    End of act 1 spoilers:
    regarding bethany
    I brought Bethany into the deeproads. As soon as Hawkes mom came and begged not to bring her I knew something was going to happen. I went through all the deeproads and after she died googled to see if there was any way to save her. Reloaded a save hours previous and brought Anders to come to the rescue.

I really feel the same type of emotions I felt when playing DAO with the human noble origin and city elf origin, which is great. Really attached to some of the characters.
    This exact thing happened to me last night with Carver and I did the same research this morning during breakfast. Luckily I saved right before talking to Bartrand, so I'll be reloading this afternoon and saving my dick of a brother.

sterling3763 on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The character development in this game seems a lot better than pretty much all of bioware's past efforts. There's a lot less giant exposition dumps or living race encyclopedias--most of the conversations with your party members are very rooted in a specific moment of time in the story and focus on the present instead of just weighing you down in backstory.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey, what's the list of romanceable companions?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Hey, what's the list of romanceable companions?

Everyone except your sibling, Varric, and Aveline.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TheBog wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Companions have their own armor so they they look unique instead of like a generic human in a robe/light armor/heavy armor.

I guess?.. Really weak, in my opinion, though. Did they forget that getting your party members awesome items is half the fun in an rpg? It makes shopping for items really awkward too when you find something that would clearly be amazing for a character, but are held back by an arbitrary limitation. What.. the shop keeper will only sell to Hawke? Or is Hawke just a douchebag? "Hey, Hawke. That helmet looks great! I think it would really help me against-" "NO!.. Get the fuck back, Isabela! This is my shit! All of it! It's not for you!" "B-but.. you're never going to wear that. You can't even-" "Go die."

The characters in DA1 never ceased to be unique and interesting, armor or not.

You can buy armor upgrades for the companions, so you still get some of that. I think each companion has 4 possible upgrades.

spamfilter on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So now that I've beaten it, I'd like to cheat a bit in my next playthrough (mostly, with giant piles of gold so I can actually afford the bullshit in the black emporium) but I'll be fucked if I can't get the console to work in steam. Anyone had any luck?

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I really don't mind it too much myself. I barely have enough gold buying skill books, my stuff, and their weapons/accessories.

My brother when he met Flemeth: "Why'd they make her all sexy in this one?"

haha

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm curious what you guys chose to do in the Night Terrors quest.
    As much as I hate it, I feel like I should make the boy tranquil because of his desire to go to the Tevinter Imperium and learn how to control his magic. Before you entered the Fade, the Keeper even mentioned the horrible things Tevinter mages did with that power.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    I'm curious what you guys chose to do in the Night Terrors quest.
    As much as I hate it, I feel like I should make the boy tranquil because of his desire to go to the Tevinter Imperium and learn how to control his magic. Before you entered the Fade, the Keeper even mentioned the horrible things Tevinter mages did with that power.

I did that too...
    The kid wanted the nightmares to stop and he had a very high chance of becoming an abomination in the future, something really bad with someone with his abilities.

I saw little else I could do.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For the love of:

WHERE THE HELL can I buy a 2 handed sword in this game? I'm training 2 handed, but none of the merchants seem to sell them :( Maybe it's just because i've only really started.

Also
    Did I really just get a necklace of wolves howling to the moon? :lol:

EDIT: So far I think this game is pretty good. Very much an improvement over the original. A bit slow to start, but opens up quite widely and is an enjoyable experience through and through.

I miss Morrigan though. :(
    I admit however that Flemeth did look absolutely awesome at the start :o

WMain00 on
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I'm rolling along on normal, enjoying it immensely but only slightly *playing* in the sense of doing more than hit a couple of abilities with Hawke and letting the premade tactics run the NPCs.

This is pretty standard, I figure. I'll amp it up to hard and beyond for a 2nd playthrough and really get into the meat.

And then I got to
    what I'd consider to be the first real boss mob, the uber profane zappy guy after you get locked in and tell the feeder to GTFO

And he just...wrecked me. It brough a huge smile to my face. Actually made me go back, look at equipment, tactics, skills, and, you know, play on something other than autopilot.

I've done him on both Nightmare and Normal to compare the experience. It's a completely different game.

I played him on Nightmare over and over and got him to a sliver... but kept dying. The most frustrating part was fighting against the AI to get my party positioned where I wanted them, and this was with plenty of pausing. I don't know how you'd defeat him playing it like an "action RPG" where you're not pausing the game, if you have it on Nightmare.

Caveat: I was poorly prepared for the encounter and did not have a true tank. Carver and Barkspawn were in melee on this one.

On Normal... wow. Positioning wasn't nearly as much of an issue since you'd burn him through phases without having to move nearly as much.

I reloaded after some practice and polished him off on Nightmare, but I still say that my biggest hurdle with this encounter was AI pathing and me yelling "No, you idiot! Don't go there!"

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    For the love of:

WHERE THE HELL can I buy a 2 handed sword in this game? I'm training 2 handed, but none of the merchants seem to sell them :( Maybe it's just because i've only really started.

Also

Haha I got that too. Really odd name. Felt like I was suddenly playing Dwarf Fortress with that item description :P

Anyways, don't know about 2Hers other than there seem to be a buttload of DLC 2H Swords (don't remember the sources of them now though, maybe they were SE/pre-order items).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    For the love of:

Also

Yeah I have the same problem with my 2-hander Hawke... there are just no good 2-handed swords around, at least in Act I. I'm not having trouble doing damage, but unfortunately this means that I end up wielding giant mauls which do not really match the aesthetic I had in mind for this character.

At the beginning of Act 2 there is a good sword available in the Black Emporium, but it costs quite a bit of gold and I've decided not to get it just yet, to see if anything good comes up in the near future.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man reading a couple pages back this thread is a spoilers quagmire. Guess I'm done until I beat the game, talk to you all in a couple of acts.

Sirson on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Regarding a rezzing party members: There is a potion for that. You throw it and any dead party members within its area of effect come back to life. It's called "Mythal's Favor"

Not a potion its a poison actually, which is a bit odd.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I believe Anders also has a Revival spell in his unique ability tree.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

Not a potion its a poison actually, which is a bit odd.
    It's a poison/grenade because you don't use it on yourself, is all.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also for anyone having problems in act 3 with fights, make sure you rune up your stuff and your companions stuff. After I hit a roadblock I threw some money at runes and poisons and then my problems went away.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man this is driving me nuts. How do you get your companions to change into a new armor set. I've found some for a few of them, but it's not in my inventory.

hamdingers on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hamdingers wrote: »
    Man this is driving me nuts. How do you get your companions to change into a new armor set. I've found some for a few of them, but it's not in my inventory.

In their item "paper doll", under their armor, you should see some ... boxes? They light up as you give them more armor upgrades

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    hamdingers wrote: »

The things you buy in stores are just upgrades to their armor... they are applied automatically and don't actually change the look of the companions as far as I know.

Edit: I'm still early in Act 2 though, so I guess I don't know for sure that nothing changes, but if so the changes to their outfits are minor.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The only way to change the look of some one is to romance them properly.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Romances change the way companions look?

Isabella probably gets fat, doesn't she :(

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Hahaha Isabella flipping around with a muffin top would be wonderfully amusing.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

You unlock a new tree that is basically ass based attacks.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does the game have a bonus for starting a new game after completing it for the first time, as in Mass Effect? I know you would start with a huge resource bonus on your second run through.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Re: Guy not being able to play SP game with banned forum account.

Dude's completely wrong. I tried DA2 on another account and you don't have to log online at all in order to play, it's just for the DLC and such, and even then I wasn't online and was still able to access Black Emporium the whole time.

Hell most of the time I was playing I wans't connected to the servers because the PSN was down for a long time.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Angel177 wrote: »

FALSE! You can get Armor upgrades from certain shops and chests during quests.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Angel177 wrote: »

FALSE! You can get Armor upgrades from certain shops and chests during quests.
    Do the upgrades actually change the appearance, though?

I mean, it's still false because Aveline changes armor from Act 1 to Act 2 if you do her quests in Act 1, so there's that, but still, do they?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
This discussion has been closed.