As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Shock Doctrine

1545556575860»

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think what Deacon is saying is that they can be discriminatory against one organization through the budget.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    I still think there won't be a shutdown.

Deacon say relax

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    I think what Deacon is saying is that they can be discriminatory against one organization through the budget.

right and i'm not so sure that they can be in these circumstances

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ubik wrote: »

On what theory?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    is planned parenthood the only place that offers abortions?

can the government constitutionally discriminate against 1 organization while continuing to fund other health organizations?

Pretty much, yeah.

Discretionary spending is exactly that.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »

On what theory?

equal protection? Adarand Constructors, Inc. v. Pena was federal spending. but that was a racial classification so obviously easier

congress also can't make unconstitutional conditions, like only funding libraries that ban certain books, and a right to an abortion is currently a constitutional right

i dunno, i'm just spit ballin here

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    JoeUser wrote: »
    The proposed GOP budget prohibits funding for Planned Parenthood in a misguided attempt to stop abortions.

It's reasonable to assume that less abortions will be performed at planned parenthood offices if they don't have any federal funding.

What if I specifically want my taxes going to abortions instead of breaks for oil companies or to the military?

I want a fetus in every pot!

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    What if I specifically want my taxes going to abortions instead of breaks for oil companies or to the military?

Keep voting dem.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So since funding for Planned Parenthood should be stopped, to prevent abortions, is there a budget boost for programs to assist new parents and young children? Stuff like WIC or CHIP?

Seems the only logical step if you want to remove all of Planned Parenthood.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    No idea, why don't you write your congressman and suggest it?

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    young children will be raised by the invisible hand of the market

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2011
    You too. In for a penny, in for pound.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Government mandated bootstraps are given to all children at birth. After that, they wish you the best of luck.

Hunter on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    wanna be howard roark when i grow up

Squall on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    1221: The BBC's Rajini Vaidyanathan is outside the US State Department where federal employees are protesting the shut down: Crowds have gathered, holding placards and listening to The Beatles. "Shame we didn't get more people here," says one man commenting on the crowd of under 100.

aw that guy seems so crestfallen

wanna give him a hug

Squall on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

While I personally agree that we need to do more, I also don't think that one position must imply the other.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2011

While I personally agree that we need to do more, I also don't think that one position must imply the other.

You don't think cutting funding for planned parenthood will increase the number of children born that would require assistance for food and medical care?

Hunter on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Government mandated bootstraps are given to all children at birth. After that, they wish you the best of luck.

Those poors keep complaining about not even having bootstraps. Apparently, that's half the battle, right there.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    JoeUser wrote: »
    The proposed GOP budget prohibits funding for Planned Parenthood in a misguided attempt to stop abortions.

It's reasonable to assume that less abortions will be performed at planned parenthood offices if they don't have any federal funding.

On the memo line of all of my donation checks, I write "only for abortions."

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rolo wrote: »
    HoA-player wrote: »
    Eight percent of college men have either attempted or successfully raped. Thirty percent say they would rape if they could get away with it. When the wording was changed to “force a woman to have sex,” the number jumped to 58%. Worse still, 83.5% argue that “some women look like they are just asking to be raped.”

The fuck

What I want to know is - how honest can these results be? I mean if you give someone a fill-out form and ask them 'have you raped someone before', how many rapists would answer that honestly, even when given the opportunity to be anonymous?

I'd really like to know more about the methodology of these studies.

It sounds like pure propaganda to me.

Maybe the study was done on prison imates.

actually wait

there is no margo paine who wrote Body Wars, although this factoid with the misspelled name seems to have been reblogged hundreds of times

there is a margo maine though, but aside from people attributing this fact to her, I can't find any excerpts that go into detail

The quote is an accurate quote from that book; the author's name is the only part that the bloggers got wrong. That specific section of the book cites I Never Called It Rape: The Ms. Report on Recognizing, Fighting, and Surviving Date and Acquaintance Rape for the statistics.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You don't think cutting funding for planned parenthood will increase the number of children born that would require assistance for food and medical care?

Seems reasonable.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2011

While I think it is total crap that eliminating health services for hundreds of thousands of women is an acceptable casualty to eliminatining of abortions that wil almost certainly happen either way, and that it's completely unconscionable to do that without making provision for those losses...

You articulated a personal opinion without playing gotcha. Sniff. So proud.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    gtrmp wrote: »
    HoA-player wrote: »
    Eight percent of college men have either attempted or successfully raped. Thirty percent say they would rape if they could get away with it. When the wording was changed to “force a woman to have sex,” the number jumped to 58%. Worse still, 83.5% argue that “some women look like they are just asking to be raped.”

The fuck

What I want to know is - how honest can these results be? I mean if you give someone a fill-out form and ask them 'have you raped someone before', how many rapists would answer that honestly, even when given the opportunity to be anonymous?

I'd really like to know more about the methodology of these studies.

It sounds like pure propaganda to me.

Maybe the study was done on prison imates.

actually wait

there is no margo paine who wrote Body Wars, although this factoid with the misspelled name seems to have been reblogged hundreds of times

there is a margo maine though, but aside from people attributing this fact to her, I can't find any excerpts that go into detail

The quote is an accurate quote from that book; the author's name is the only part that the bloggers got wrong. That specific section of the book cites I Never Called It Rape: The Ms. Report on Recognizing, Fighting, and Surviving Date and Acquaintance Rape for the statistics.

Thanks for the info!

Brolo on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have made a thread on Penny Arcade that went 100+ pages.

*checks off item on bucket list*

Xehalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's a shock doc

to your soft side

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I find it interesting that the one republican apologist in my geo class is an Australian immigrant.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Aussies are pretty conservative as I understand it.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think it's a "sentenced to transportation" joke

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    I find it interesting that the one republican apologist in my geo class is an Australian immigrant.

the aus liberal party is probably worse than the republicans re: blatant racism

hey now

we stopped our genocide against the native population way earlier than they did

we finished

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So apparently Kloppenburg's gonna be pushing for the recount and not the other way around.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/04/08/general-us-wisconsin-supreme-court-election_8398415.html

Story by AP

Butters on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh, well since they're only killing babies 3% of the time...

*takes out checkbook*

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hey deacon

go fuck yourself

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Do I have to point out how the Hyde amendment actually means that none of the federal money for PP actually goes to abortion funding first or can I go straight into how stupid the "fungibility of currency" argument is?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So apparently Kloppenburg's gonna be pushing for the recount and not the other way around.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/04/08/general-us-wisconsin-supreme-court-election_8398415.html

Story by AP

Well, at least the clerk responsible for missing the votes doesn't have any sort of connections to Prosser.

There's going to be a probe into the matter, even though it's most likely an innocent mistake

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hey deacon

go fuck yourself

this is really the position of the anti-abortion side of the argument.

I mean, in their minds, it's an institution where people, with as much right to life that you would say you yourself have, are murdered every day. Telling someone that well only 3% of the activities there is murder isn't really going to make them give a fuck.

You can disagree with them, but if you take the position that a fetus is a child and has every right to live that we give children, it's a pretty black and white stance on what to do about it at that point. There isn't any middle ground, because in their minds murder is being committed.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    no, i don't think that's cool or a great idea at all

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cutting funding for Planned Parenthood is stupid, I was just pointing out why it shouldn't be surprising that that statistic doesn't sway anyone from that side of the argument.

The statistic that should sway them is that because of laws we already have in place, no federal money goes towards abortions in the first place.

Langly on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    if I get into politics, apparently if I lose I can still get one last paycheck through fundraising for a "recount"

edit: or get some of my campaign money back

Xehalus on
This discussion has been closed.