As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread - [Please post in new thread]

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man sustained buffs make this game so easy :(

Ahh well!

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aumni wrote: »
    Man sustained buffs make this game so easy :(

Ahh well!

Hardest parts I found were the demon gang bangs, some of those were like rape salad.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Maz- wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    So, started the expedition.
    Although he's awesome, I don't like that Varric is being forced into my party. Meh.

Also, what Cassandra said during the transition:
    "If she knew what was down there, she would not have led her sister into that hole."

D:

Is..is something gonna happen to Bethany? Is this why she doesn't have a unique companion tree? :(

dun dun DUUUUUN!

:shock:

How long is the expedition, roughly? Might consider reloading :?

Make a separate save. That's all I can say. And if for some reason you don't like whatever happens down there, come back to us and ask what your options are.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That's why I'm glad I got the guide book and that my wife looked up that specific part, because yeah I would have screwed that up.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Okay, for as one note as Isabela's whole "sex sex sex!" thing can be, sometimes it's kind of hilarious.

Walking around on the docks, some lady we pass just busts out with "I know you. The boys in Orlais named an itch after you."

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aveline's Act 3 quest spoiler/question:
    So I killed Jeven, and I read in the guide that her last armor upgrade is supposed to be on his body,, but all I found was some gold and a shield. This a bug or is the guide wrong?

Also, I really don't get the love for the Force Mage spec. Most of the time the abilities don't seem to do much unless it's against the super weak enemies. Though I guess the spell that slows enemy attacks is nice for bosses.

Ecko on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Against staggered targets, upgraded Fist of the Maker is a beautiful thing. And the control spells can be a godsend in certain fights.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ecko wrote: »
    Aveline's Act 3 quest spoiler/question:
    So I killed Jeven, and I read in the guide that her last armor upgrade is supposed to be on his body,, but all I found was some gold and a shield. This a bug or is the guide wrong?

Also, I really don't get the love for the Force Mage spec. Most of the time the abilities don't seem to do much unless it's against the super weak enemies. Though I guess the spell that slows enemy attacks is nice for bosses.

Great crowd control and check out the damage modifier Fist of the Maker has on staggered enemies.

Oh and +100 fortitude is amazingly useful even if you never invest a point into the spec.

Z0re on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    That's why I'm glad I got the guide book and that my wife looked up that specific part, because yeah I would have screwed that up.

I don't really understand this mentality... why would you want to know ahead of time what was going to happen there? Seems to me like it would ruin the impact your choices have on the story, making it all an exercise in plot min-maxing.

Personally, I had this part spoiled for me by someone on these boards, and I was a bit upset over knowing what my choice was going to cause either way. Still, I went with what I think I would have done anyways, based on what seemed right in the story at the time, and lived with the results.

Which were far more anti-climactic than I would have expected out of Bioware, really.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tried the demo--quit, I'm guessing, half-way through. It just feels like a boring Dynasty Warriors clone with some light RPG elements thrown in.

Tis a shame, since I was hoping this would bring me back to the series. I tried the first one and only played about seven or eight hours.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, clearly you've been able to form a valid opinion based on a half hour's worth of gameplay.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I mainly have the guide for a second play through, but since my wife told me about that part I'm glad she looked it up so my first playthrough works out for future stuff.

I'm tempted to do the level/gold thing for my second playthrough but I think I'll stick with normal leveling so the champion stuff and pimp looking weapons are the right level.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tried the demo--quit, I'm guessing, half-way through. It just feels like a boring Dynasty Warriors clone with some light RPG elements thrown in.
    Not liking DAO or DAII is fair, but this appraisal is just so far off the mark, I don't even know where to begin.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I could almost see the dynasty warriors thing because you do have a minimap and you do go back through some areas with things either opened or closed. And you do have buttons that initate attacks and as a rogue you can build combos and finish them off. But thats really ignoring a lot of the other stuff in this game that dynasty warriors doesn't have. Like most of the game for da2.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JellySalmonJellySalmon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What's with all the backlash against this game? I've only played the demo so far and I can understand some middling reviews, but people on metacritic are giving it 0s and 1s so the average is 3.7.

JellySalmon on
    What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron.
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    Not liking DAO or DAII is fair, but this appraisal is just so far off the mark, I don't even know where to begin.

Especially considering Dynasty Warriors is enjoyable. This is definitely a boring Dynasty Warriors clone on the console.

also, have some more DLC:

http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/dragonage/~ywubx

:rotate:

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    What's with all the backlash against this game? I've only played the demo so far and I can understand some middling reviews, but people on metacritic are giving it 0s and 1s so the average is 3.7.
    People wanted Dragon Age: Origins 2: Origin Harder, where there was another Blight, only this time two Archdemons at once and the plot, gameplay, and characters were all exactly the same.

Instead, they got something actually good, so it is their duty to hate it.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kaseius wrote: »
    Torso Boy wrote: »

Especially considering Dynasty Warriors is enjoyable. This is definitely a boring Dynasty Warriors clone on the console.

also, have some more DLC:

http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/dragonage/~ywubx

:rotate:

I don't get how the first shirt is a DA2 shirt. And I can't see the other one enough to tell who that is supposed to be (Fem. Hawke as a Rogue? Isabela?)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The first shirt makes me think of Homefront, personally.

Kaseius on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Some people have hated this game since it was announced. Like the kind of vitrol I would expect for shooting up an orphanage.

However, as more people play they've begun to phase out. The spoilers section of the official forum had a whole first page of positive threads today for once, and most people are realizing the backlash is pretty stupid.

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    People wanted Dragon Age: Origins 2: Origin Harder, where there was another Blight, only this time two Archdemons at once and the plot, gameplay, and characters were all exactly the same.

Shotgunning a perfect run of DA + awakenings + DLC prior to DA2 really showed me how many flaws there were in the first game and I'm really glad for the improvements in the second. Much the same way doing ME and ME 2 back to back showed how many good things change.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    For me, going from my first playthrough of DA:O and the expansion/DLC (on PS3), then into the DA2 demo (on my PC) showed me how much I disliked the changes made in DA2. A lot of it felt like a step backwards for me -- obviously not for me.

Kaseius on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Shotgunning a perfect run of DA + awakenings + DLC prior to DA2 really showed me how many flaws there were in the first game and I'm really glad for the improvements in the second. Much the same way doing ME and ME 2 back to back showed how many good things change.

Yeah this is by far the best way to do it :) I did that when ME2 came out (mainly because I wanted a perfect import) and yeah, the improvements over ME1 were insane.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I demand a big monster dlc character. My party looks too normal running around.

Either a Qunari, a Golem, or a werewolf will suffice.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »

Qunari mage pls

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Yeah this is by far the best way to do it :) I did that when ME2 came out (mainly because I wanted a perfect import) and yeah, the improvements over ME1 were insane.

One simple one but really obnoxious in ME was no dedicated meele attack.

One change I really liked in DA 2 was to crafting and tactics, having to sacrifice a mage partners ability to cast spells in combat to be able to better set up their tactics was really fucking obnoxious.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »

One simple one but really obnoxious in ME was no dedicated meele attack.

One change I really liked in DA 2 was to crafting and tactics, having to sacrifice a mage partners ability to cast spells in combat to be able to better set up their tactics was really fucking obnoxious.

I don't know, I always just had Morrigan cast Sleep on everything, followed by Waking Nightmare. That was fun :)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I could almost see the dynasty warriors thing because you do have a minimap and you do go back through some areas with things either opened or closed. And you do have buttons that initate attacks and as a rogue you can build combos and finish them off. But thats really ignoring a lot of the other stuff in this game that dynasty warriors doesn't have. Like most of the game for da2.

Precisely.

It's not that there aren't parallels that can be drawn- it's just that writing something off as a clone of some other game, after less than an hour of gameplay, is wholly ignorant and obnoxiously dismissive. If I go into the Starcraft thread and start spouting that the series is just a C&C clone, I look like an idiot and an asshole.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    By the way - if you've played DA2 and you have feedback, I'm soliciting and collecting constructive criticism. Essentially trying to get the important points together so that we're not wading through ten pages of 'YOU GUYS SOLD OUT' so we can find out what folks enjoyed and didn't enjoy.

I'll be forwarding all of this on to Mike Laidlaw, the lead designer, so if you have strong feelings then this is a good time to pass them along! Looking mostly for what you liked, what you didn't like, and what the reasons are behind either.

For example, 'I thought the combat was too fast' is okay, but 'I thought the combat was too fast - I was unable to properly react to enemies and I ended up wiping unnecessarily several times' is much better. Likewise, 'I thought the personality system was great!' is okay, but 'I thought the personality system was great, I enjoyed that the 'default' options were done automatically based on my dominant personality and having combat barks with tone was also cool' is much better.

And now, I return you to your regularly scheduled DA2 thread.

(As noted, my e-mail is perhaps not the best thing to have up here. So PM me if you need it)

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Might want to not have your email up on an easily searchable forum brosef, maybe request PM.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Might want to not have your email up on an easily searchable forum brosef, maybe request PM.

A solid point.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »

Qunari mage pls

Ten thousand times, this.

Also, I know people got kind of sore about this earlier, but I have to point out the absolute absurdity of complaining that most (not all!) romance options are bi. They just happen to be bi. Deal with it.

The hetero-centricity of ME's romances is less defensible because it shows a bias from the writers, but it's also fair to argue that, hey, most of those characters are just straight.

When we're talking about a fantasy setting, one in which it's been explicitly established that sexism is virtually non-existent, what's so out of place about bisexuality being common? If you're offended by advances of a character of the same gender, the game enables you to turn them down. You can even be an asshole to them if you want. *shrug*

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How about: Don't replace my 'sarcastic response' button with the 'gay love for Anders' button randomly mid-game?

:(

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    vsove wrote: »

A solid point.

Just trying to save you the trouble of getting bombarded by the not too happy.

My main complaint, spiders are creepy, but can't you go creepier? perhaps some kind of blood mage spider hybrid, like a bloody screaming corpse fused with a spider that decends in the dark.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2011

A solid point.

My main complaint, spiders are creepy, but can't you go creepier? perhaps some kind of blood mage spider hybrid, like a bloody screaming corpse fused with a spider that decends in the dark.

I was thinking a spider that shoots screaming heads that open their mouths and shoot other spiders.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

A solid point.

I was thinking a spider that shoots screaming heads that open their mouths and shoot other spiders.

This would be the best thing ever

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

A solid point.

Yes but make sure its properly labeled venomous and not poisonous.

Perhaps make that a dialogue line as a quip.

"Are these creatures poionous?"

"I wouldn't know I've never eaten one, though I've heard they are venomous."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2011

A solid point.

Yes but make sure its properly labeled venomous and not poisonous.

Perhaps make that a dialogue line as a quip.

"Are these creatures poionous?"

"I wouldn't know I've never eaten one, though I've heard they are venomous."

And then one of the screaming heads shoots a spider right into your mouth and your final words are 'They were also... poisonous...'

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How about: Don't replace my 'sarcastic response' button with the 'gay love for Anders' button randomly mid-game?

:(
    can't you sarcastically gay love anders

Elendil on
  • Options
    MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just finished my first play through as a mage, awesome game.
    I loved how fast paced the combat was, and playing as a force mage is fun with lots of weak to normal enemies. Throw them around a bit while everyone else focuses down a stronger target.

I would have liked to be able to have my companions wear armor that I picked up, kinda sucked to only be able to use 1/3 of the armor that I picked up.

MegaPureiboi on
    Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
This discussion has been closed.