Options

Dragon Age Thread - [Please post in new thread]

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, has anyone not had Merrill's Act 2 quest get flipped around on them? I'm curious if there's something I can do on my second play-through to keep it straight.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Szechuan wrote: »
    I'm conflicted about this sort of thing. On the one hand, I love the idea that there is so much to figure out about the little interrelations between the members. On the other, it is painful to think of how many playthroughs it would take to actually get everything sorted.

If you want to just know you could always reload a save.

I did that with Origins. I was referring to things that may have effects much later on in the game, like companion choices and whether or not some may be mutually exclusive. Actually seeing one different result/permutation could take hours.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, has anyone not had Merrill's Act 2 quest get flipped around on them? I'm curious if there's something I can do on my second play-through to keep it straight.
    What do you mean flipped around?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Holy shit this game is pretty on PC with hi-res.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why is every male character in this game so far gay or bi-sexual? Is that the new "in thing" for male characters in games? Every male NPC I have in my party has had homosexual love options available.

I don't mind gay characters, but jesus...really? Every male character?

I guess the only exception is Varric, but Sebastion, Fenris and Anders have all had the option for a gay romance.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Why is every male character in this game so far gay or bi-sexual? Is that the new "in thing" for male characters in games? Every male NPC I have in my party has had homosexual love options available.

I guess the only exception is Varric, but Sebastion, Fenris and Anders have all had the option for a gay romance.

Sebastian is not a male romance at all.

And the game world changes based on your character's gender. Anders and Fenris are gay if you are male and straight if you're female, with different backstory and everything. Same with Merrill.

Z0re on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Bioware are always been complained about for not supplying enough gay options.

Now, EVERYBODY GAY!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Z0re wrote: »

And the game world changes based on your character's gender. Anders and Fenris are gay if you are male and straight if you're female, with different backstory and everything. Same with Merrill.

Uhh, the first conversation I had with Sebastion post "Duty" he had a heart conversation option. Something akin to "Hey big boy".

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Uhh, the first conversation I had with Sebastion post "Duty" he had a heart conversation option. Something akin to "Hey big boy".

You can flirt with him, but he is exclusively straight and chaste.

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

You can flirt with him, but he is exclusively straight and chaste.

Well that's good I suppose. I didn't exactly follow the line of conversation to find out.

Again, not trying to gay bash here, nothing wrong with gay characters in the game...it just seemed really heavy handed and in your face in this game that a lot of the males were gay.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

This weirded me out too.

Not that there were gay romances, even multiple gay romances, but that it seemed to me, as a male Hawke, that every dude in my party was trying to hop on my junk while the females were not at all interested.

Then I go into the brothel and there is one whore who appears to have a quest marker (with no actual quest, just an option to bang) and of course it's that fruity male elf. I thought maybe taking him up on the offer would be the basis for a quest, but instead Bethany just got all disgusted and I felt dirty. :(

Edit: As an addendum, the other problem I'm having is that I'm playing sarcastic Hawke, which means my dialogue choices are often the one in the middle-right.

Well apparently when talking to Anders, these turn into romance options and so I think I'm leading him on.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I find it really hard to have sympathy for people that complain about this.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

This weirded me out too.

Not that there were gay romances, even multiple gay romances, but that it seemed to me, as a male Hawke, that every dude in my party was trying to hop on my junk while the females were not at all interested.

Then I go into the brothel and there is one whore who appears to have a quest marker (with no actual quest, just an option to bang) and of course it's that fruity male elf. I thought maybe taking him up on the offer would be the basis for a quest, but instead Bethany just got all disgusted and I felt dirty. :(

Edit: As an addendum, the other problem I'm having is that I'm playing sarcastic Hawke, which means my dialogue choices are often the one in the middle-right.

Well apparently when talking to Anders, these turn into romance options and so I think I'm leading him on.

Just play Female Hawke, and then either way it's win-win!

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »

Too many options in my rpg no sir I don't like it.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

At the beginning of Act 2, when you go to do her "catch up after 3 years" starter quest, it flips and actually gives you an interaction from later in the Act, from after you would have completed her main companion quest. And then it gives you the correct one.

Can't miss it, as it involves tears and dead people who aren't yet dead. :P

I think I did like one quest before going to see her, so I'm wondering if I go straight to her if I won't have that glitch. Just trying to see if anyone has been able to play through that without it glitching, since I've heard other people in hear already mention it.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited March 2011

At the beginning of Act 2, when you go to do her "catch up after 3 years" starter quest, it flips and actually gives you an interaction from later in the Act, from after you would have completed her main companion quest. And then it gives you the correct one.

I think I did like one quest before going to see her, so I'm wondering if I go straight to her if I won't have that glitch. Just trying to see if anyone has been able to play through that without it glitching, since I've heard other people in hear already mention it.

I went to visit her straight away when Act II started, because I thought every companion was going to have something to say to me. Merrill just said something about her house always being messy when people come over, and that was it.

I guess I'll find out eventually if the quest is bugged once I actually get a prompt to see her again. :P

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You know what I think is interesting? For all the whining from certain groups about DAII, the one area it is indisputably better than Origins is in how it handles sex in general.

Sex is not the 'win' condition of your relationship anymore, they completely cut out the awkward underwear cutscenes, and there are far fewer opportunities to just have sex with random people. Even the prostitutes don't get a scene anymore, just a tiny money loss and a cut to Hawke in their underclothes.

So much better than Origins/ME1/ME2

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I went to visit her straight away when Act II started, because I thought every companion was going to have something to say to me. Merrill just said something about her house always being messy when people come over, and that was it.

I guess I'll find out eventually if the quest is bugged once I actually get a prompt to see her again. :P

The glitch is worse than that, her opening dialogue in Act 2 is immediately tirggered as complete when the act opens, and later it triggers her post-quest talk before her pre-quest talk and spoils what happens on her personal quest.

Z0re on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, started the expedition.
    Although he's awesome, I don't like that Varric is being forced into my party. Meh.

Also, what Cassandra said during the transition:
    "If she knew what was down there, she would not have led her sister into that hole."

D:

Is..is something gonna happen to Bethany? Is this why she doesn't have a unique companion tree? :(

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I don't think any of us were asking for your sympathy, so I guess that works out.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I think it's funny how dudes act weirded out by this when the male love interests are simply treating the player the same way the player normally treats female love interests - aggressively and in a rush to get to the sexing.

Now do you see how fucking stupid we all look to women? :wink:

I'll qualify that by saying I really don't think it's homophobia or anything; it is somewhat awkward to be constantly propositioned by someone you're not attracted to, period.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Maz- wrote: »
    Although he's awesome, I don't like that Varric is being forced into my party. Meh.

"If she knew what was down there, she would not have led her sister into that hole."

D:

Is..is something gonna happen to Bethany? Is this why she doesn't have a unique companion tree? :(

dun dun DUUUUUN!

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I don't think any of us were asking for your sympathy, so I guess that works out.

No, you were just whining about the fact that there's gay dudes in your game.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2011

D:

dun dun DUUUUUN!

:shock:

How long is the expedition, roughly? Might consider reloading :?

Maz- on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I think it's funny how dudes act weirded out by this when the male love interests are simply treating the player the same way the player normally treats female love interests - aggressively and in a rush to get to the sexing.

I'll qualify that by saying I really don't think it's homophobia or anything; it is somewhat awkward to be constantly propositioned by someone you're not attracted to, period.

Or maybe Bioware just figures all gay dudes are total sluts.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

D:

dun dun DUUUUUN!

I hope that's a rhetorical question, cuz' asking about it spoils the fun/tension. :)

Szechuan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

No, I wasn't. I was pointing out that every male in the party has a gay love option, outside of Varric. Typical of this thread though, you point out anything at all not 100% complimentary of the game, and someone has to call it "whining". You really should get some thicker skin. We aren't personally attacking you because we aren't 100% comfortable with part of the game.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Except it takes more than a year before either of them will sleep with you? I mean... that seems pretty inefficient to me.

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Statistically, gay dudes are total sluts in terms of number of partners/frequency of getting one's freak on. Then again, statistically, gay dudes are serial killers and, statistically, statistics mean nothing.

Edit:
    Except it takes more than a year before either of them will sleep with you? I mean... that seems pretty inefficient to me.

Yeah, in-game. For the player? They practically hop into your bed since the year transitions instantly.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

D:

dun dun DUUUUUN!

I hope that's a rhetorical question, cuz' asking about it spoils the fun/tension. :)

Yeah yeah..guess I'll find out the hard way.

Still would've wanted to take Isabella instead of Varric *grumble grumble*

Maz- on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

No, I wasn't. I was pointing out that every male in the party has a gay love option, outside of Varric. Typical of this thread though, you point out anything at all not 100% complimentary of the game, and someone has to call it "whining". You really should get some thicker skin. We aren't personally attacking you because we aren't 100% comfortable with part of the game.

I suppose the real question is why aren't you comfortable with the fact that there's gay dudes in the game? Worried you'll like it a little too much? :P

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dumb question - where do I go to craft stuff? I've been looking around casually while I play the game, but haven't found any of these so-called crafting stations.

hottoq on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I suppose the real question is why aren't you comfortable with the fact that there's gay dudes in the game? Worried you'll like it a little too much? :P

You obviously haven't read anything I've posted, so I'm not even going to grace this with a real response. When you can learn to read everything I posted, and not just try and be an inflammatory goose, maybe I'll have a real response.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

D:

She won't be with you when you're done. Merril makes a nice replacement!

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    hottoq wrote: »
    Dumb question - where do I go to craft stuff? I've been looking around casually while I play the game, but haven't found any of these so-called crafting stations.

They have quest icons over them, and once you've activated them there is a centralized station that opens up in your house. The potion one is in Low Town, next to the entrance. The Rune one is in High Town near all the shops.

Z0re on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Crafting stations activate in act 1, there is a guy in high town, a lady in lowtown, and a guy in darktown.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

You can be comfortable with gay dudes being in a game, and not be comfortable with gay dudes coming onto you in the game. These are two totally separate things.

E: Bah.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Edit:

Yeah, in-game. For the player? They practically hop into your bed since the year transitions instantly.

Basically this. Can't really judge the time since the game has to fast-forward for plot reasons and doesn't let anything meaningful happen during that span.

Also, I wasn't being serious at all.

I mean, I did think it was weird that males were all over my Hawke while females weren't, but I don't pretend to know what Bioware thinks of gay people. :)

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

You obviously haven't read anything I've posted, so I'm not even going to grace this with a real response. When you can learn to read everything I posted, and not just try and be an inflammatory goose, maybe I'll have a real response.

He's pretty obviously joking. If a gay joke is inflammatory then maybe he's more right than I thought.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ugh, fuck it, clearly my attempts at jocularity weren't coming across. Sorry if I seemed wildly upset.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

This discussion has been closed.