As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East vs Prime

grkpektisgrkpektis Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
I have never been to prime but I just came back from east and I thought it was awesome. I am curious how it complares to last years prime. Is it smaller are there less developers, do developers bring more games, e.t.c

grkpektis on

• Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Didn't go to PAXE but PAX is PAX. It's the best 3 days of your year no matter which one you go to.

It seems though PAXP is the one to go to if you're there for the games. Since most games are released in the fall PAXP will probably be the one with the newest releases and PAXE will have mostly the games from PAXP that haven't been released yet. Few exceptions obviously but that seems to be mostly the case. So if you're there ONLY to play the games (and if that's the case you're missing out on the best part of PAX) you might not get much out of going to both.

One PAX isn't really meant to be better than the other. The community still rocks no matter where it's at, the panels still kick ass, the games still kick ass. The difference really is one is in Boston and one is in Seattle.

parabola on
  • Options
    Cerrato0426Cerrato0426 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For me going to PAX will always be about the community. I make sure to go through the Expo Hall once or twice but I spend the least amount of my time there. If you like the Expo Hall, the cool thing about PRIME is that it follows E3 (and most big cons). The developers are ready to show everything they were keeping secret for E3 and you'll get to play most of the E3 demos. If you're like me and just enjoy the big party that is PAX, know that this community breaks all borders and PAX is PAX whether you are at EAST or PRIME.

Cerrato0426 on
  • Options
    cyntheticcynthetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pax Prime- Summer in Seattle vs. Pax East- Late Winter in Boston. I've never been to Prime, so the only comparison that I can contribute is that Prime probably has a bit more tolerable weather. :)

cynthetic on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The weather "can" be more tolerable for Prime in Seattle, that depends if you complain about rain or not, but sometimes it's rather nice.

There's honestly not a whole lot of differences between the two anymore. The Omegathon is done a bit differently, but otherwise everything else is ran the same, and it's always the same experience. You will always be interacting with the same types of people, seeing the same kinds of panels, etc.

Specifically between this East and last years Prime, I'd say this convention center in Boston is very much larger than the one in Seattle, but they're both still really nice. Prime last year had a much larger expo hall, they've had to expand it pretty much every year they've been there. They also moved the main theater to Benaroya Hall, which is an upscale "opera house" a few blocks from the convention center. It was a different experience and couldn't hold as many people because it was fully seated and the seats couldn't be removed, but it was still awesome.

There's other minor differences but otherwise that's about it. The convention center in Seattle is also in a very good location right in downtown Seattle, with plenty of nearby restaurants, malls, etc. Unfortunately this place in Boston doesn't have much very nearby.

That's about all I got to add to this right now, hope it's what you were looking for.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    cynthetic wrote: »
    Pax Prime- Summer in Seattle vs. Pax East- Late Winter in Boston. I've never been to Prime, so the only comparison that I can contribute is that Prime probably has a bit more tolerable weather. :)

What is this weather you speak of? If I hadn't had an irc meetup on Saturday morning I would never have stepped outside from thursday night to sunday night. :)

Rdr on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rdr wrote: »

What is this weather you speak of? If I hadn't had an irc meetup on Saturday morning I would never have stepped outside from thursday night to sunday night. :)

Yeah that's the other bonus about this convention center in Boston, the hotel that's connected via skybridge. I never went outside at all from the time I first got there until the time I left a couple hours ago. It's good to know weather wont be an issue in Boston. It usually isn't in Seattle either, but I know how people love to complain about rain, especially people in Seattle, so yeah.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Rdr wrote: »

Ha, well... we can't all stay in the Westin unfortunately. :)

cynthetic on
  • Options
    BostonPokeBostonPoke Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Something to look forward to for the PAX East crowd: Eventually the Westin will be doubled in size. If you noticed a big open piece of land behind it... that is where phase 2 will be built (after permitting and financing is settled). Also, there are a number of other developments planned for the area including additional hotels. Take lots of pictures, you wouldn't believe how much of that area has changed over the last few years. The Convention Center and just about everything around it was built in the last 10 years (other than the brick buildings across the bridge to the west). There will be more restaurants etc. in each of the years to come.

BostonPoke on
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Both are good and the Cons are very similar. I happen to prefer my trips to Seattle, mainly because it's a very different culture from NYC (where I live and work). Boston and NY are very, very similar, so going out to the pacific NW feels like a treat.

Axon on
  • Options
    ShaydeShayde Kitchen Staff Supervisor MargaritavilleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I'm a Florida boy and was terrified the cold would kill me. Hardly spent time outside.

Except for waiting for Gamers Gone Wild. Wish I had that hour and a half back.

To those who have been to both... I'm considering going to Prime now, is it going to be worth it, or just plan for East again? It will probably be to pricey to do both each year.

Shayde on
    Shayde

Ex-Agent to the Stars, ex a lot of other things too.
    Pax East 2011, 2012 Veteran. 2014 now loading.
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've got a question from a research perspective - I'm writing a book on the history of fan cons, and I'm wondering how necessary it is to go to Prime. I know Prime was first, but I have a limited amount of time and money I can spend on going to cons for research. Will I miss something essential to the gaming convention community if I miss Prime?

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lucid: Not really. The community is the community, and after going to East '10, Prime '10, and now East '11, I have concluded that it's the same general vibe. Like has been said, Prime is a bit better for game announcements and expo hall, while East gives more time for freeplay and hanging out, but both are very much PAX.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Shayde wrote: »
    Except for waiting for Gamers Gone Wild. Wish I had that hour and a half back.

Because you didn't get in, or because you did and hated it?

cynthetic on
  • Options
    adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    See that Prime gave birth to East, How can you really ask if Prime would be worth it or compare?
    From my past experience Prime is bigger and had more expo room, playable demos, swag in general, and more going on.
    I would suggest going to Prime and seeing for yourself.

EDIT: I would like to give some defense to East also in that it had most tabletop area than Prime did or at least from what I remember. My goal this East was to actually get into some tabletop also. Which I did a bunch!

adester on
  • Options
    emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PAX is PAX, I love them all. Been to three in Seattle, two in Boston, it's all good. It's been my experience that Prime is more software oriented and East is more hardware oriented, but I imagine as time goes on, it won't be quite the difference. With that amazing table top area in this last East, it's also possible Prime will be more video-oriented and East will be more table-oriented. I'm hoping tabletop and video gaming gets bigger and bigger at both though.

I have a sort of PAX Zen thing going on after the first couple. I know I'll never see everything, so I just don't worry about it. Each PAX I just try to focus on one part of PAX. PAX keeps gaining new aspects, so I'll probably never run out of new things to do, but anyway, it's hard to really compare PAX to PAX since each PAX is so different for me specifically.

I think in the long-term, East will become more awesome than Prime, simply because it's got more room to grow. BCEC is amazing. Hynes kind of sucked. Seattle will probably end up as the smaller and more intimate PAX with great atmosphere right outside the doors, Boston will be the more big and exciting PAX with less to do outside, which is both good and bad for both. Doesn't really matter though, I will go to every PAX there is for the rest of my life, as long as I am able, because PAX is good. Ultimately it's the people who show up that makes PAX PAX, not the exhibitors or vendors or venue. That fact also makes PAX so unique among cons too.

emarecksaykay on
    -mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
  • Options
    SpiderSimianSpiderSimian Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BostonPoke wrote: »
    There will be more restaurants etc. in each of the years to come.

I hope so. One of the things that floored me is the general lack of *EVERYTHING* in that area... restaurants, shopping, you name it... with huge conventions going on all the time you would think people would want to cash in and open up shop in the area.

SpiderSimian on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PRIME is AWESOME, EAST is AWESOME. Through the distributive property... PRIME = EAST... why must we fight? Why can't we be friends :(

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    ZukiZuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BostonPoke wrote: »
    There will be more restaurants etc. in each of the years to come.

I hope so. One of the things that floored me is the general lack of *EVERYTHING* in that area... restaurants, shopping, you name it... with huge conventions going on all the time you would think people would want to cash in and open up shop in the area.

My understanding was that that whole district is very new construction, all in the last 3-4 years or so. And as it happens, the last 2 years or so have been, shall we say, on the recessional side.

Hopefully a strong continued PAX presence might change that tide...

Zuki on
  • Options
    DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PRIME is AWESOME, EAST is AWESOME. Through the distributive property... PRIME = EAST... why must we fight? Why can't we be friends :(

Transitive 23shh0g.gif

DeliciousTacos on
  • Options
    WedgeWedge Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've worked 8 paxes at 4 different venues. Each PAX has its own flavor, from year to year as much as from East to West. But the underlying tones always shine through: the community, the gaming culture, the excitement and spectacle. They're both awesome, and you're not at some huge disadvantage if you only go to East or to Prime.

Wedge on
    Give a man fire and he has fire for a day, set a man on fire and he has fire for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    Cerrato0426Cerrato0426 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well there is the disadvantage of only going to PAX once a year instead of twice :P

Cerrato0426 on
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have to echo what has been said on this thread, PAX is PAX, where ever it is held!

Speaking of which, the murmerings of a PAX in the UK continue unabated, and that makes me wonder how different it would be, if at all. My suggested alterations to PAX Europe would be:

1) Many enforcers will have to speak 2-3 of the main European languages (English, French & German)
    2) Do not hold the event over the weekend of a major soccer/football match. Many game fans in Europe are huge soccer fans oddly enough, so avoid the end of season rush of matches in May.
    3) Classic Console freeplay area will not be popular if it's filled with PAL NES machines as they ran 15% slower than their NTSC counter parts. Go for Spectrums, Amstrads and C64's instead.
    4) Engagement with Europeans by Enforcers will have to be altered a little as our reserved nature can be a tough nut to crack. Yes there are exceptions to this, but these people are usually sectioned :P
    5) Provide tea. PG tips will do the trick.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    kropotkin wrote: »

I would enjoy this at all PAXes.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    pardimatepardimate Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well I enjoyed East so much that I didn't want to wait an entire year, so I'm going to Prime this year as well. Even though I live in MA. I hope you guys are right!

pardimate on
    IL8kkvS.png
  • Options
    NickelEdgeNickelEdge Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I think the only minor difference I've seen and miss at east is Mike & Jerry dont play the final round of the Omegathon since it 2 on 2 game. but it would be cool to see Mike & Jerry at east play with someone else like Scott Kurtz & Kris Straub.

NickelEdge on
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For me, Prime will always be the better PAX. I was walking briefly about this to VT at the end of this East, and I told him I think it's because I go to school in Boston, so PAX isn't a vacation for me over here. I literally was doing homework up until 2am the night before PAX. I also think I like Prime more since it was where I have been going since 08... its home. Regardless though, I will continue to go to both, because PAX is PAX.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BoomShake wrote: »

I actually bring a small box of PG Tips tea bags and a packet of custard creme biscuits and have a very British moment in the midst of PAX with some friends. Tis most civilised :)

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Krop, I love this.

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • Options
    ArmyKnifeArmyKnife Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BoomShake wrote: »

I actually bring a small box of PG Tips tea bags and a packet of custard creme biscuits and have a very British moment in the midst of PAX with some friends. Tis most civilised :)

Is there any way I could get in on your awesome Britishness next PAXEast?

ArmyKnife on