As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MINECRAFT] Oh GOD, What have we created?

1555657585961»

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alright, I want to do the minecraft biodome mod. I loaded it in single player, then put it on my multiplayer server, but that didn't work. Only the starter chunk is right. Is there a way to load all chunks, or a way to go faster?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Alright, I want to do the minecraft biodome mod. I loaded it in single player, then put it on my multiplayer server, but that didn't work. Only the starter chunk is right. Is there a way to load all chunks, or a way to go faster?

Start here and work your way through all three parts. Although unless it was updated for 1.5 I know 1.5 server couldn't handle it.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    overnightfutureovernightfuture Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ein wrote: »
    I guess we could conceivably put the Columbia map up on the server that N@W was on while we work to prepare the next round of N@W. Would give you dudes something big to focus on, if you wanted.

You guys'd have to be serious about trying to recreate that damn trailer, though. We got a pretty decent way into it.

im down

would give me a way to show people i can actualy do stuff and not just die by fire every 5 seconds

overnightfuture on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    One of the first things that I do whenever I spawn a new world is dig straight down through the ground in order to see what I can find. That's typically the first night, after I've built my little shelter. Torches all around like some kind of fucked up seance. I began working my way downward, gradually making progress and planting extra torches along the walls. My last pick eventually broke, so I started heading up the makeshift stairway that I had built... then I heard a noise.

Looking up, I noticed that all of the torches in my house had disappeared for some reason. Staring down at me were two creepers, simply standing there like statues. I whipped out a sword and carefully made my way up, but once I reached the top of the hole, the creepers were gone. I don't know where they went to. I don't know where my torches went to. All I know is that I put some more light in my house and there wasn't anything inside it except me.

I've had items and mobs randomly spawn and de-spawn in the weirdest places, but it's never worked out like that before. Genguinely unsettling, especially with the Jolicraft texture pack installed. It makes the creepers look almost Hellraiser-esque.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I guess we could conceivably put the Columbia map up on the server that N@W was on while we work to prepare the next round of N@W. Would give you dudes something big to focus on, if you wanted.

You guys'd have to be serious about trying to recreate that damn trailer, though. We got a pretty decent way into it.

im down

would give me a way to show people i can actualy do stuff and not just die by fire every 5 seconds

Well it only took a few minutes but you guys have convinced me hosting Columbia would be a bad idea.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    DeShadowC wrote: »

im down

Well it only took a few minutes but you guys have convinced me hosting Columbia would be a bad idea.

dont make that desision on me

you hate me

which i might say is very immuture of you

overnightfuture on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't hate you. I just care a lot for Columbia.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't hate you. I just care a lot for Columbia.

Well then why would you dislike me working on it?

i take great care working on things like this

and I feel as though you dislike me with half of the stuff you say

and i get that you wouldant want anything to happen to Columbia but i wouldant want to cause to any harm to it.

overnightfuture on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm not very trusting.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shadow hates everyone. He also gets off to abusing his mod powers on players. This is nothing new, you get used to it.

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Empirical wrote: »
    Shadow hates everyone. He also gets off to abusing his mod powers on players. This is nothing new, you get used to it.

could have used that info a long time ago

overnightfuture on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah nothing more 'funny' than him peter pipering around a bunch of Creepers towards players :<

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Are you saying a skull pirate cove has no place in our fantasy land?

This is not a fantasy land I want anything to do with then.
    Wouldn't you think that a skull pirate cove could fit in Middle earth? We're aiming at something very medieval and the thing about medieval Europe is that... Well there frankly were no coves shaped as skulls :/

m3nace on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yes there were

i built one

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like your style Liquid Ghost.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    Yeah nothing more 'funny' than him peter pipering around a bunch of Creepers towards players :<

That was Jerick.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arthil wrote: »

That was Jerick.

Oh.

<.<

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    GrainGrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey everyone,

I generally play minecraft on my 40 inch hdtv. I plug into it via an hdmi cable. When I do this I don't have any problems and the game runs at 80 fps with all settings as high up as I can pump them.

This completely changes when I try to play this game just on the laptop. My fps drops to 15 and the game is extremely choppy.

I've updated java, this still happens.
    I've got the most updated versions of all my video card drivers...its still happening.

I honestly don't have a clue what is going on and it doesn't make any sense why it would work perfectly fine when I'm sending the video and audio to a larger screen, but that it has trouble on a smaller one.

Please help. I have tried to get some help on the Minecraft support forums, but no one is responding :(

Grain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

White: 1721-3651-2720
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That does sound weird. When you play on your laptop, what screen resolution and bit depth do you use? Then when you attach the external display, what screen resolution is everything at? Is the external used by Windows as a second screen or is it mirrored from the first screen? Which screen is primary, if they aren't mirrored?

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Finally got around to playing SMP so I joined the Diannaochong server. After two days of fumbling around looking at everyone's work and feeling inadequate I finally settled on an uninhabited lake that I claimed for my own due south of what looks like an entire village made for one person.

By the way whoever made that three tier tree farm has my gratitude, as I needed wood and lots of it.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    mspencer wrote: »
    That does sound weird. When you play on your laptop, what screen resolution and bit depth do you use? Then when you attach the external display, what screen resolution is everything at? Is the external used by Windows as a second screen or is it mirrored from the first screen? Which screen is primary, if they aren't mirrored?

My tv is at 1800x1012 in landscape orientation. My laptop is at 1600x900 with landscape orientation. This has to be something with the different resolutions. I'm going to experiment with different ratios on the laptop to see if its not an aspect ratio thing.

Grain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Nope. I changed the resolutions on my laptop and am having the same exact problem.

By the way, I generally use an extended desktop when hooked up to the TV, but I experimented with all of the options (extended desktop, desktop just on the TV, desktop just on the laptop). I am getting the same exact results. The game just does not like this laptop screen.

Grain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    FalhurkFalhurk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Talith wrote: »
    Finally got around to playing SMP so I joined the Diannaochong server. After two days of fumbling around looking at everyone's work and feeling inadequate I finally settled on an uninhabited lake that I claimed for my own due south of what looks like an entire village made for one person.

By the way whoever made that three tier tree farm has my gratitude, as I needed wood and lots of it.

What does this three tiered farm look like? I need a good wood farm idea and so far nothing's come to me.

I've made a couple underground but they always seem to stop other trees from growing.

*edit* also, if you happen to know how to make a working "door" out of fence posts so I can make a semi-working portcullis I'd love you forever. In this case my google-fu has failed me.

Falhurk on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I remember a while back someone mentioning a few sites offering some good prices on minecraft servers, but I can't remember what they were.

Anyone got any good suggestions?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    SquigieSquigie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

That tree farm is quite nice. Unfortunately the tops of the trees are inadequately lit and monsters occasionally spawn there.

The public tree farm inspired me to make a public wheat farm to provide bread for the masses. I even added a second floor with sugar cane. Last time I was on the server I found it burned to the ground, water flowing everywhere. I try to give back to society and society spits in my face. Well now I'm an objectivist. Screw you, got mine!:x

Squigie on
    Warning: the preceding post may be more sarcastic than it appears. Proceed at own risk. Individual results may vary. Offers not valid in Canada or where prohibited by fraud statutes.
  • Options
    FalhurkFalhurk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Squigie wrote: »

That tree farm is quite nice. Unfortunately the tops of the trees are inadequately lit and monsters occasionally spawn there.

The public tree farm inspired me to make a public wheat farm to provide bread for the masses. I even added a second floor with sugar cane. Last time I was on the server I found it burned to the ground, water flowing everywhere. I try to give back to society and society spits in my face. Well now I'm an objectivist. Screw you, got mine!:x

I've never seen that server. Is there any chance you could post a screenshot for me? :)

Falhurk on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So this is pretty neat.

I have loaded it onto my server just to explore. Most of it's really well done, if you enjoy Ghibli films.

Ein on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Minecraft soundtrack is pretty good and so I went ahead and purchased it earlier today. Man is it ever good, I can't stop listening to it here at work.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So this is pretty neat.

I have loaded it onto my server just to explore. Most of it's really well done, if you enjoy Ghibli films.

HOLY.

CRAP.

Someone out there has a LOT of time on their hands.

Unrelated, has anyone played with Allocator blocks yet? It looks very interesting.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So this is pretty neat.

now i want to watch howl's moving castle again

overnightfuture on
This discussion has been closed.