As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Archive - Still open for business!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That decade long Civ2 game was just a guy who sucked at Civ2.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    I guess it's worth mentioing that my x-com LP is complete and also that it ended up stretching to 5 threads. Links in my sig.

I never thought it'd be finished! But man, a fifth thread? Fishman, you're nuts. <3 I'll clink in the fifth thread here real quick. Nice work though.

By the way how's your latest LP going? Something about being a father? :P

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    First off: Fishman, you are a legend and so is your LP. I salute you!

Secondly: I am currently running a XCOM 2012 LP in this thread here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/168745/lets-play-xcom-enemy-unknown-we-will-be-watching-it-commander-set-08#latest

Would be cool if it was added to the list!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'll add your XCOM LP now that it has fermented some, Klyka.

I've been bouncing all over the place watching a few different LPs lately. Watched voidburger's Silent Hill LP (the first game), and that was well done and very, very thorough (also nice to see the game again in hindsight to understand it a little better because god knows I was confused when I played it years ago). Started watching some Ys: Oath in Felghana. And then got caught up in Pokecapn playing Sonic Generations. The lack of struggle kinda kills some of the interest I had going into it, but I can at least see the game in its entirety. Though I was very amused at the Sonic 2006 stage and how he ominously died like three times right at the start.

• Options
    I also got @atat23 and @joshofalltrades updated with their latest stuff to the thread, just to assure you guys I'm on it.

I also removed some redundant text in the list. And I found out how to short-hand links in the Vanilla system. :D

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    ooh

How do you shorthand links?

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Well, when I say "shorthand" I guess I mean "get rid of the obnoxious length of it." Take this page.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/138890/pa-forum-lets-play-archive-ch-ch-ch-ch-changes#latest

You can shorten easily by just cutting out the name.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/138890/

And the original format of links in phpbb was this.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=138890

So yeah. You don't need the name in there. I'm gonna go through the thread and reformat all the links to reflect this where I can. It's not much saved, but since our character max for posts is so low in Vanilla I may as well do what I can. And I guess it'll add up if I do it collectively.

I still need to find a format for that tech help post. I've tapped at it so, so mildly, but I keep hating what I come up with because I'm not that knowledgeable with things. And admittedly I'm lazy about asking people for their detailed input. I asked people once about their how-to's before, but it lacked the sort of FAQ solution I was seeking. That's what I want to build; a brief FAQ. Everything is just jargon.

Edit - I've done another round of updating in the thread. All three parts of the OP have been modified. The first post just had some no-longer-new tags removed, and a couple links removed from the bottom because they weren't in the spirit of LPs I decided. Also, the stream list was removed.

In the actual list, I tightened up all the links and external links are now labeled as to where they go (since they're all currently YouTube playlists, the tag is "YouTube" instead of "video"). I moved Fishman's XCOM LP into its own section next to our prolific LPers out of my bias.

The third post I removed some shit and rewrote some of the advice. It is, again, the most incomplete part of the whole thread. The FAQ section is empty and as I noted will likely be empty for a long time. I may end up removing it if we never get FAQs.

Henroid on
  • Options
    VivaVizerVivaVizer Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Oh, so I can ask technical advice here? Excellent.

There's been a weird issue that has been bugging me for a while when it comes to encoding. I'm pretty sure my colorspace is getting screwed over when I encode with x264.

For example:
    Screencap from Huffyuv encode (matches my source)
    Screencap from x264 encode (highlights and shadows are all messed up)

After poking around online for a bit, I come to the conclusion that it is a sRGB vs cRGB problem. All my source being cRGB but video expected to be sRGB. Vegas has something that'll convert the colorspace from cRGB to sRGB so I figure that I'm set at this point.

Did a Bioshock video with my solution implemented and it is blatant on Youtube that my black is not displaying as true black. More of a dark, splotchy grey.

And now, I'm back to square one and still have no idea what is going on.

My source DxTory/FRAPS captured footage. I believe the colorspace is YUV422 for both. My editor is Sony Vegas which works in RGB32. My target is Youtube. What in the world am I doing wrong...

VivaVizer on
  • Options
    It could be something on YouTube's end. I've never done any uploading or video recording though so I don't know the answer. However! Allow me to give this bump in the hopes someone comes by that has info for you!

Also, I just finished watching the pokecapn / medibot / KFJ / Kaz Lets Play of Mario Party. All the Mario Parties. I think the first game has the most back-and-forth of all the games they played. And part 5 was hard to watch. Especially when medibot went silent.

• Options
    If you enjoyed that, watch the Four Swords one, as it is glorious.

• Options

Holy fucking shit, their setup is extreme. They made it happen.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

Holy fucking shit, their setup is extreme. They made it happen.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing. I hope they do Crystal Chronicles, because if you set that up you might as well, you know?

• Options
    This is the best fucking thing. I finally get to see this goddamn game in action. It looks incredible. WHY DOESN'T NINTENDO PURSUE MORE OF THIS AND MAKE IT EASIER TO ACCESS. Co-op Zelda is the best thing!

• Options
    Theoretically, that's what WiiU is, sort of, right?

Anyway, there's one really awful level (you'll know it almost immediately) and there are times when some of them get annoyed, but it's all worth it.

And! (LP spoiler, for reals)
    Eventually, KFJ wins something!

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Episode 4 has the best ending.
    They all received a vote for not helping.

This is truly the most entertaining thing.

At any rate, yeah they discuss in episode 1 how Nintendo kinda has ideas during one console gen and makes that the thing of the next gen. This fucking LP has sold me on what the Wii U intends to do.

Edit - Let me say it this way - a bunch of guys on the internet did a better job of promoting the potential of the WiiU's concept than Nintendo has with their tons of PR.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I recently reformatted my PC, got a problem! Trying to record some games using Fraps, but it's now refusing to record audio. Opening the raw files in VLC player I get the 'does not support audio format " " there is no way to fix this' message. Google fu is not helping - I have Sound Capture Settings to Record Win7 Sound, I've been into Windows sound settings and enabled Stereo Mix under Recording, all my drivers are up to date, this is all the same hardware I had when recording before. So. What up!? D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Are you sure all your in-program settings (for all programs and the OS included) are set to the same as they were too?

• Options
    Yeah. Just updated to the newest version of Fraps, now I don't get the error message when opening the raw recordings, but they're still silent. Hrmph.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Have you gone into the Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, and in the volume tab go to advanced settings and prowled around for the recording audio levels? I dunno if Windows 7 is structured in the same manner as XP (which I'm still on) but the bottom line is, check Windows' recording and line in/out levels.

Edit - And I know that doesn't make perfect sense since you're recording right off the PC itself but you'd be surprised. I've had those levels mess up my mic recording sometimes.

Henroid on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    *Whines about Breath of Fire.*

• Options
    Made a little progress; rebooted and I was able to record sound!

Once

After one take, it goes silent again. Closing all software and reopening doesn't do anything, and only rebooting again will give me another chance at recording sound.

Which is about the level of stupid program bullshit I can take so hey, any advice on vid&audio recording that isn't Fraps? :D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    It's not continuing. I bit off more than I can chew, big time. As story / content heavy as it is, it's not meant to be screenshot-LP'd. I mean it can be I guess, it'd certainly give it some charm, but the effort involved is tremendous and overwhelming. I thought I'd be able to condense it as I went along and good god, no, it's not doable.

I really should be finishing my Shining Force 2 LP. I may as well use Photobucket for the final few episodes since imageshack fell apart. The images are still up, but I can't fix any that break as time passes.

Because of all this I've decided that, for myself personally, I won't bother posting any new LP projects until I'm done publishing / writing them entirely. Breath of Fire 3 following my failures of EO2 and my almost-ALLLLMOST-done Shining Force 2 LP probably has people rightfully bitter and skeptical of me. I know I would be.

I've at least learned a lesson about screenshot LPs in all this. It fits particular genres or kinds of games and not all universally. I'd rather be doing video stuff anyway.

• Options
    Aww.

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    I don't really understand making an entire LP before posting it. The same amount of time is consumed but you get no feedback whatsoever. Part of the entertainment is sort of feeling like you're going through the game with the game with someone. Obviously when you're reading a post or watching a video it's not 'live' but if the person already played the entire game it would just make the whole thing feel off. Like you were just reading some report.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Yeah and then I wouldn't have made this for Royce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEbXnzWmSQM

And then this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T7SsqhXHps

I feel that you are being too hard on yourself Henroid.

Just dream a little more practically...

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Adus wrote: »
    I don't really understand making an entire LP before posting it. The same amount of time is consumed but you get no feedback whatsoever. Part of the entertainment is sort of feeling like you're going through the game with the game with someone. Obviously when you're reading a post or watching a video it's not 'live' but if the person already played the entire game it would just make the whole thing feel off. Like you were just reading some report.

I don't want to mislead people is all. Starting something else and then not finishing it. I kinda feel bad.

• Options
    Proton Jon has teamed up with someone I don't know of to LP Gunstar Heroes. They're playing the PS3 version (uh, I didn't even know it was re-released) which I guess took out a method of reviving mid-stage if you were playing two-player. They're playing it on the hardest difficulty, which I haven't ever beaten the game on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmCVJENMXTk

When they get to Seven Force it's going to be goddamn extreme.

• Options

Depends on how guidy you want it. Though you can cover a lot of stuff by simply being well prepared. SuperGreatFriend may not finish everything in advance, but he seems to have a pretty thorough plan before he starts.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

I don't want to mislead people is all. Starting something else and then not finishing it. I kinda feel bad.

As someone who just reads LPs, IMO I'd take a LP that burns bright and updates inconsistently (if at all) over a humdrum LP that updated like clockwork. I'm sure rent would disagree though :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Well, giving more attention to Proton Jon, he's playing another ROM hack of Super Mario World. It was something he stopped doing but this was specifically requested of him, as the maker of the ROM hack (who is apparently prominent in that realm of things) had to walk away from the internet due to battling leukemia being a silly goose. And he wanted people to LP this one he had made. Raocow (or however his name is spelled) is doing this too, but here's PJ's first upload of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3lqb5tE5Ag

In general though, it's not a bad idea to donate - if you can - to any charities / research centers related to cancer.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Everyone should go read the newest update in the Red and Orange Play Pokemon Black and White thread on SA. The one with the hootenanny.

Specifically, watch the first video contained therein.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Everyone should go read the newest update in the Red and Orange Play Pokemon Black and White thread on SA. The one with the hootenanny.

It's quite possibly the greatest video I've ever seen in a screenshot LP.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

It's quite possibly the greatest video I've ever seen in a screenshot LP.

The only thing close is Nakar blowing up Chuckles in Ultima 7.

• Options

I dunno. That doesn't have banjos.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

I dunno. That doesn't have banjos.

I said close. Also, fuck Chuckles.

• Options

I said close. Also, fuck Chuckles.
    What? You didn't like his game? :P

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    So that thing I posted about Proton Jon kinda lead to where plenty of people were thinking; the ROM hacker lied about his cancer. The guy who contacted PJ and Raocow and whoever else investigated things and found out the ROM hacker doesn't have any sort of cancer. Outrage aside, PJ pretty much says what needed to be said of this in the last episode of the LP (he managed to finish playing just as this all came to light). The guy did a shitty thing, but it at least maybe got people to do some cancer research related things.

Edit - Editing this a few days later to bring this over:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtN3pna4uDQ

Henroid on
  • Options
    So it's been mentioned elsewhere on the forum and is at least one person's avatar, but if you have not read it and have several hours to spare, read this. That game is like 1 part Phoenix Wright, 1 part JAPAN!!!, 1 part Battle Royale, and 97 parts acid.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    You know, the next thing I was going to listen to was Retsutalk episode 16 where they apparently spoil the hell out of that, but you know what, I'm just going to read the LP before I listen to that. I just finished my last screenshot LP anyway.

And yes @Henroid I just recently caught up with Retsupurae and laughed a good bit at that. Just listened to the Retsutalk with Proton Jon today, actually.