Options

Missed Connections - Finding people you met but didn't exchange contact info

2»

• Options
    ShaderShader The Master Ranger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    To another Nick out there; met you on the silver line shuttle, you noticed my (very orange) Plants vs. Zombies hat and decided to trail me to the con (your first day there). You were fun to talk to, and I wish I'd asked for your contact info then. So send me a PM if you find this!

Shader on
  • Options
    SingolloSingollo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sammy wrote: »
    kid_nyc wrote: »
    Sammy wrote: »
    oh! there was this guy i kept running into that was pretty cool.
    he was wearing this really nice suit and had this guy with a backpack following him around who was also pretty cool.

wait....

yeah, i saw them 4 times between friday and saturday. i stopped them friday to say a big thanks for putting the convention on. and then i saw them twice after that, just by chance.

i hope they weren't creeped out..... O_o

Don't think you have anything to worry about. Lol. Everytime I talked to the poor man I got him swarmed.
    Half banned from PAX at this point.

:P

well If you were standing in line like you should have been he would have been safe. If he keeps walking he wont get mobbed. :)

Singollo on
  • Options
    frecklefreckle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    On Sunday right as the convention center was kicking everyone out I ran into a guy by the entrance. He asked me what I was dressed as, and I was really confused because I wasn't dressed as anything. I just stammered a bit, but I think I could have come off wrong because he ran off right after.

I was wearing a bright blue dress with a pink flower print, pink tights and brown boots. Sorry dude!

freckle on
  • Options
    flatman42flatman42 Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Hrm. Okay, well I hope this doesn't seem creepy, but I think I have an actual factual missed connection:

I met you during Frontalot's set on Friday night. During "Living at the Corner of Dude and Catastrophe" (I think, or it may have been earlier), I got frustrated with my friends standing stiff as boards, and I sought out a group of dancing people. There were four or five of us dancing during that song (about a dozen or so "rows back" from stage right).

At some point during the next few songs, the rest of the group left and you and I were left dancing. We proceeded to dance for the rest of the set, and (I believe) a mutually good time was had! I shared my water bottle with you, and somebody shot some video footage of us on their phone (I think).

You told me your name was Eliza (I think; it was kind of loud in there), and I said I would meet you there at Saturday night's concert. I did come back for Paul and Storm's set on Saturday night, and I searched around the area where we were dancing, but I never found you. I was late because I waited forever in the line to see the Day[9] and HuskyStarcraft livecast, and I left after Paul and Storm because I didn't want to get separated from my friends.

Mostly I'd feel lousy as hell if you thought I stood you up! So if you read this, or if you read this and you're friends with Eliza, please send me a PM or something, or at least know that I'm sorry! You seemed super neat!

Also - if this wasn't enough description, I was the guy wearing a green baseball cap that read "Dead Butt Expeditions."

flatman42 on
  • Options
    kid_nyckid_nyc Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GrimRupert wrote: »
    JOEPRO wrote:
    I wish I wasn't as quiet as I was. First time going and alone, being surrounded by thousands of people was just crazy and made me speechless.

This wasn't my first con, but I've got self-conscious issues myself with this sort of thing. I feel like turning to someone in line next to me is an interruption of their personal space and so I prefer to remain quiet.

i'm the same way, i walked into the place thinking i was gonna get some serious game on with people.... but then turned into a wallflower.

part of the reason i clammed up is because i didn't think i could use my dsi socially. i couldn't hook up to the wi-fi, and i thought that was how you did chat/games/etc. then some nice people during the friday q&a showed me how to hook up with people via download play. anyway, once i learned that, being social was a little easier. everyone on here kept on saying mario-kart is a great ice breaker, and gosh were they right. there were a few times where someone behind me in a line had the game, and i asked if i could jump in. another time, two guys sat next to me in the lounge. i asked if they had kart, and if they'd like to play, both agreed and we went head-to head for close to half an hour.

it seems to me that people were just keen on playing. i talked to one guy who said he wanted an eight person race and was sad when no else wanted to play in line. so you never know who in line is just as bored as you are.

another great ice-breaker is picto-chat. sure, there's a fair amount of penis jokes, but i did meet some really nice people through that.

kid_nyc on
  • Options
    D Versus AD Versus A Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    To the scottish hubby and wife combo from Team Squirtle team A. I cant remeber your names at all, but we both rocked the squirlte squad sunglasses the whole trip even though we couldnt see a thing. Awesome! Send me a PM if you see it.

D Versus A on
    Friend: Wow..what happened to him?
    Me: He dun goofed.
    Friend: .........What?
  • Options
    olleeollee OhioRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is only a 50% missed connection:

If anyone saw us floating around, and by us I mean Team9000 with the nifty casting rig(backpack) and camera and fun, and would like to know more about it, or just wanna stop by, follow the linky.

Also to any of the 3 enforcers, or anyone elsem, who got a 6 inch Awesome Face pin from me, gimme a hollar, you were great!

http://www.team9000.net

ollee on
    <Long Time Lurker, Perpetual First Time Poster>

http://www.team9000.net/
  • Options
    MadM3rlinMadM3rlin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh OH OH! "Wolverine chick" You wanted to meet up with me on sunday.. But I didn't see you. Hit me up if you read this. You had your claws in your bag.

MadM3rlin on
  • Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There was a couple that we kept running into - first at the Geek Parenting panel, then in line at the Vindictus booth, and a few other times during the show.
    You have a 5 month old baby boy, who slept in a Snugli for about half of the con (with a t-shirt on his head, at times). We chatted a lot about being parents, and you showed us where to get an "Ask Me About My Zombie Plan" hoodie. You two were awesome, but we didn't even get your names. Please PM me if you're on the forums! You'd probably recognize my wife more than me - she had bright red hair, and did most of the talking. (I = shy.)

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You - the guy who took TWO turns at the 3DS for Resident Evil Mercenaries, even though you know that when the game says 'thanks for playing!' Two turns! You're supposed to give someone else a turn! that's what you're supposed to do and you didn't!

Me - the person languishing behind you and wishing that i had the courage to stand up to you and your menace. well, sir, i have somehow found this courage online, and i challenge you to not one, but two duels on the fields of honor

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    olleeollee OhioRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MadM3rlin wrote: »
    Oh OH OH! "Wolverine chick" You wanted to meet up with me on sunday.. But I didn't see you. Hit me up if you read this. You had your claws in your bag.

Wolverine chick her: http://twitpic.com/48vhmj

I <3 Pryde...

ollee on
    <Long Time Lurker, Perpetual First Time Poster>

http://www.team9000.net/
  • Options
    GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Clearly you guys haven't been playing Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (or, more accurately, are familiar with comics). That "Wolverine Chick" is cosplaying as a character named X-23. Try asking around for someone that cosplayed as X-23 and you might have a bit more luck.

GrimRupert on
    I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • Options
    minimunchminimunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sam @ Friday's Munchkin Tournament

minimunch on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Actually, I technically did have a missed connection.

Friday night, getting on 9pm, out front the Intercontinental. The shuttle bus was finishing its shift and a few of us were disappointed. So I talked with two or three strangers about splitting a cab, and just then one of them Taxi Vans rolled up. After a fine little ride we reached the convention center and I went on my merry way.

I'm sorry I didn't even say "thanks and see you later" to you guys, because being able to just have a bunch of strangers gather and split a cab like that is what makes these sort of events awesome. Riding with you guys was a pleasure.

GrimRupert on
    I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
  • Options
    Mottom24Mottom24 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tarranon wrote: »
    You - the guy who took TWO turns at the 3DS for Resident Evil Mercenaries, even though you know that when the game says 'thanks for playing!' Two turns! You're supposed to give someone else a turn! that's what you're supposed to do and you didn't!

Me - the person languishing behind you and wishing that i had the courage to stand up to you and your menace. well, sir, i have somehow found this courage online, and i challenge you to not one, but two duels on the fields of honor

I saw this when I got online at the capcom booth a couple times. because they were understaffed it was easy for a few people to get two turns in instead of passing it along like an honorable person. I began staring at one guy right into his eyes as he played resident evil for far too long. it had a time limit, and there was no way 4 people could go through street fighter while he was still playing his one round. He finally looked around sheepishly and left, allowing me to enjoy one minute of the game (as the timer ran out) and to allow my GF to move to where my head was so she could see the 3D. I then moved on like everyone should have and passed it to the next person.

Shameful folks they are. Shameful.

Mottom24 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ollee wrote: »

I <3 Pryde...

Yeah that is her. I had to run off but she wanted to chat. . .

MadM3rlin on
  • Options
    KyussKyuss Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ollee wrote: »

I <3 Pryde...

Yeah that is her. I had to run off but she wanted to chat. . .

http://sfx-360.com/newsite/pryde%E2%80%99s-guide-to-pax-east2011-cosplaying/

Kyuss on
  • Options
    Oldmangloom315Oldmangloom315 [ENFORCER] Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh and any of the dudes rocking straightedge shirts, kylesea, and the kid working the kidrobot booth with a trap them shirt on. Made me happy seeing more of us straightedge nerds wandering around.

Feel free to contact me on here.

Oldmangloom315 on
  • Options
    iasonniasonn Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Stunning Blonde all in Red?

HAWT!, anyone know who she is, or have pic? Red polka dot dress and red shoes, cute as all getout!

iasonn on
  • Options
    KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh and any of the dudes rocking straightedge shirts, kylesea, and the kid working the kidrobot booth with a trap them shirt on. Made me happy seeing more of us straightedge nerds wandering around.

Sweet! I was gonna wear a SXE shirt but was like meh, probably won't be any around... lol glad to see there are some... do you know of any SXE groups or parties going on? I was also thinking of starting one for next year....

Korvas on
  • Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    I have been two two PAX Easts and used to live and work in the same town as this guy named "Moe Fwacky," but somehow have never met him.

/Also, I TweetStalk him

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    Oldmangloom315Oldmangloom315 [ENFORCER] Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Korvas wrote: »

Sweet! I was gonna wear a SXE shirt but was like meh, probably won't be any around... lol glad to see there are some... do you know of any SXE groups or parties going on? I was also thinking of starting one for next year....

My buddy Matt and I would definitely be down for something like that. I don't know of one but I'd be willing to help organize/host something like that.

Oldmangloom315 on
  • Options
    acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I had a fun as hell time networking with other people and tossing out my contact cards like they were ninja stars to all the cool people I met (and all the people I met were and still are cool). I was the guy with the black business card with the black and yellow diagonal stripe band ("Joe"). Only now am I starting to hear from some of the people I slung them out to...guess they're getting over their homesickness.

Oh, a shout out to the group I met at downtown crossing on friday night when they were looking for a hot pot restaurant. Thanks for the invite for dinner and for putting up with my crazy dry throat/coughing.

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• Options
    territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm surprised you sXe guys are doubtful of compatriots. I mean, odds aside, I've always figured nerds/geeks are a niche market that attract non-drinkers/drug-takers.

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    for that very rare occasion, if anyone was (i'd hope good heartedly)yelled at that utilikilts weren't real kilts but rather 'skirts with pockets', yeah that was me, and i'm sorry if i seemed anything other than jovial. though i was trying to make a point in a funny way.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I mean, odds aside, I've always figured nerds/geeks are a niche market that attract non-drinkers/drug-takers.

Strange, I've always found reality to be the opposite of this.

King of Mars on
    Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • Options
    ArmyKnifeArmyKnife Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    for that very rare occasion, if anyone was (i'd hope good heartedly)yelled at that utilikilts weren't real kilts but rather 'skirts with pockets', yeah that was me, and i'm sorry if i seemed anything other than jovial. though i was trying to make a point in a funny way.

It's funny seeing that you're actually from Glasgow :D

ArmyKnife on
  • Options
    KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I mean, odds aside, I've always figured nerds/geeks are a niche market that attract non-drinkers/drug-takers.

I was gonna say the same thing... With all kinds of references to drinking and 420 in games now a days, even at pax it's self, I kind of thought it would be hard to find straight edgers among the croud.... But I mean with such large fan base I gues it is possible to find any type of gammer among the bunch...

Korvas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ArmyKnife wrote: »

see that's the point. it's a matter or national pride, as i said to those that i (hopefully)playfully yelled at.

for what its worth there were a few times that i didn't have enough time to check so am not sure the ratio between real kilts and utili-"kilts". also i wasn't even nearly enraged enough to yell at the guys at the utilikilt both. though if they had actually pulled me aside and offered me a fitting as i over heard them offering others i doubt i'd have been able to hold back.

as a side note, if i'm miss-spelling utilikilt, please correct me. if i'm gonna be indignant i should at least be able to spell right.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    ArmyKnifeArmyKnife Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

see that's the point. it's a matter or national pride, as i said to those that i (hopefully)playfully yelled at.

for what its worth there were a few times that i didn't have enough time to check so am not sure the ratio between real kilts and utili-"kilts". also i wasn't even nearly enraged enough to yell at the guys at the utilikilt both. though if they had actually pulled me aside and offered me a fitting as i over heard them offering others i doubt i'd have been able to hold back.

as a side note, if i'm miss-spelling utilikilt, please correct me. if i'm gonna be indignant i should at least be able to spell right.

I was curious so I said "Sure". Turns out they required you to gradually drop your pants to try it on >.> I'm not gonna lie that they're comfy, but compared to a 5-yard kilt they're just a fancy, manly looking skirt with pockets.

I hope the image contained in the spoiler appeases the wounded sense of national pride. (Except for the part where the actor is actually Irish >.>)
    RobRoyLiamNeeson.jpg

ArmyKnife on
  • Options
    territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Father!

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I was curious so I said "Sure". Turns out they required you to gradually drop your pants to try it on >.> I'm not gonna lie that they're comfy, but compared to a 5-yard kilt they're just a fancy, manly looking skirt with pockets.

I hope the image contained in the spoiler appeases the wounded sense of national pride. (Except for the part where the actor is actually Irish >.>)
    RobRoyLiamNeeson.jpg

i'll take an irish man over an aussie any day.

incidentally, the only kilt i've worn was hired(a sin in of itself), and was 8-yards. actually very comfy and not what i expected going into it for the first time.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I was gonna say the same thing... With all kinds of references to drinking and 420 in games now a days, even at pax it's self, I kind of thought it would be hard to find straight edgers among the croud.... But I mean with such large fan base I gues it is possible to find any type of gammer among the bunch...

And lo, the true meaning of [strike]Christmas[/strike] PAX has been discovered.
    Gaming, like music, transcends geographical and cultural boundaries to bring together people.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I think it's a mixture on the whole, but ultimately geeks are people too, and thus whatever diversities you find in normal groups of people you'll find in geeks. Most people like to drink and get drunk, and some like to smoke weed and get high.

I've learned to find people that, even if they do that stuff, they don't need it to have fun and be interesting.

GrimRupert on
    I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
  • Options
    Kdash314Kdash314 Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Some guy came up to me outside the Jamspace and said I "won the award for best facial hair at PAX." And then you saw me again when Brentalfloss called you up on stage to do the Zelda monologue. I'm just curious if you were just making an ironic joke, or if you really thought I have cool facial hair. Haha...

Kdash314 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    are you the keyboard player?

:edit:

are you from powerglove?

MadM3rlin on
  • Options
    OcTavius12OcTavius12 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Still wished i had swapped info with that beautiful girl in the ezio costume and the media pass

OcTavius12 on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • Options
    thespianthespian Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    there was a woman who saved me during the VGO/Paul & Storm/JoCo concert, with Goldfish when I realized how long it had been since I'd eaten. We talked about the Heavenly Bodies dances and I showed you a guy who had asked if I was going to them on my phone.

I'd really like to hang out with you and your boyfriend. Problem is I remember his name (Andy) and can't remember yours, because I'm like that.

Also I mentioned the kinetic typography video for Shop Vac. You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4sOfO8Ei1g

Thes.

thespian on