As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E IC] Residuum Revolution Arcane- Above ground!

• Options
    IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
    The revenant sighs slightly as the battle ends. The thirst for the blood of the n'kbarra wasn't easily sated by darkfey, but there was plenty of time for completing his mission.

Looking down, Persecutus puts a boot on the still breathing guard's chest and proceeds to shake him until he starts to wake up. When the fey opens its eyes, Persecutus leans down and puts a finger up to his own lips, making a low "Sshh" sound.

"Screaming is a quick way to meet your end. We have some questions for you."

With that, Persecutus leans back up, clearing the way for someone with more of a penchant for talking.

• Options
    daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    Persecutus has the highest Intimidate, Alise has the highest Diplomacy. Have fun with that.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have the highest Intimidate?!?....well, here goes +3...

Persecutus leans back into the prisoner, calmly testing the edge of his axe as he speaks.

"We're seeking a treasure that belongs to the kobolds. Something which belonged to the dragon Enthrexa some time ago. Tell me where it is and your head might stay attached to your shoulders a bit longer."

A glint in his red eyes ensures that the guard knows he is not joking.

Intimidate: 1d20+3 = 21!

Natural 18....FTW?

Illianthar on
  • Options
    The darkfey stammers, "But...it should be ours! She betrothed it...our lord! We were true subjects! Cursed reptiles robbed it of us!"

He appears to everyone to be telling the truth, but Persecutus in an instant has his axe against the fey's neck. The fey, barely breathing, whispers "...in the height, arounded by wards. Lady has the opener to the portal."

Once again, his language is so ancient, you can barely make it out.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    "Surely, that can't be all you have to say about it... How about giving us a little more to work with? What more can you tell us about the lady with the opener?" Alise says as coyly as possible. But either something got lost in translation or he had nothing more to say, because all she got in response was a blank look.
    diplomacy: 1d20+6 = ....7. The dice gods have forsaken me.

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Shen takes time to loot the bodies since Persecutus seems to have the situation under control. "You better have some of that poison left." The leaders body is the first to be rummaged through.
    Perception=28

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The leader has a small bag hanging from her belt. Inside you find a few vials of poison and a skeleton key glowing with purple runes.

Poison x2:
    Darkflower Nectar
    Level 5 Poison

This nectar from the darkflower is a foamy amber liquid.

Poison 250 gp

Attack: +8 vs. Fortitude; ongoing 5 poison damage and -2 to attack (save ends both).
    First Failed Saving Throw: -5 to attack instead of -2 to attack (save ends).
    Second Failed Saving Throw: The target is stunned instead of -5 to attack (save ends).

daniant on
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    "Well, will yah look at that. This the "opener" you're talking about sunshine?" Shen hands the glowing key to one of the closer party members so they can give him a good look at it. As for the poison, he stows those away in his pack. Doing a quick rummage through the other bodies he grins wondering how the captured drow would react to being threatened with it.
    Perception=19

• Options
    Seeing that the guard didn't seem to be taking to Alise's diplomatic approach, Persecutus decided that 'bad cop' was the way to go again.

"Refusing the lady's request seems like a bad life decision."

The revenant can't decide if his words are helping or hurting the cause, but is ready to bash the darkfey back into unconsciousness if it refuses to offer anything else.

Intimidate (again) = 1d20+3 11 *sad trombone*

• Options
    The darkfey looks at you both confusedly. Apparently he can't get over his language barrier.

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    Riishi takes the key from Shen and crouches before their prisoner. Speaking slowly and gently, she tries to coax the fey into elaborating, “’Betrothed’? Tell us of ‘Betrothed’. Tell us of Kobolds and Enthrexa.” For good measure, she repeats in her strangely accented Goblin tongue, hoping to spark a linguistic connection for the underground dweller as she dangles the key before him.
    Diplomacy: 1d20+1 17

• Options
    The darkfey's eyes light up with a deadly gleam when you speak in Goblin. He obviously is not a fan of the language.

He answers in his strange common, and then in broken Goblin. You can understand him much better with both languages.

"You speak the tongue of the redteeth[goblins]? And you desire Enthrexa's history with tiny slaves [kobolds]? Our lord Emperor Thoros promised the marriage-gift to Enthrexa, but when we protested her murder he cast us out. We took the marriage-gift to hide from him and his lightfey brethren so he could never harm someone like that again. When he found out he exiled us. The tiny slaves of Enthrexa were also exiled and they have been trying to get the marriage-gift back so they can present it to Thoros and resume a place in the empire." He spits, obviously disgusted by kobold cowardice and toadyism.

"My lady that you killed was the guardian of the marriage-gift. She was chosen by the high sorceress herself. Why did you do such a terrible thing? Our shrine has been corrupted!"

He sinks to the floor again, angry but unsure.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    "That is all I need to know. Persecutus, do want the honors or shall I?" Shen draws back an arrow and aims squarely for the darkfey's chest. He would suffer no longer than needed.

Anialos on
  • Options
    I just wanted to remind you that my darkfey aren't necessarily drow, so please don't meta that they're evil. Your characters didn't really know much about them until now. Just a little FYI.

• Options
    Ah, sorry, i'll edit the drow out. Shen does have prior history with these guys and does not like them at all.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh huh...good point. I'm sure some of this was mentioned in some way before, but...

"Emperor Thoros...?" Alise wondered if this may have somehow made its way into the legends back west. She knew that humans, with generally shorter lifespans, would have forgotten most of this by now, but that didn't mean they never wrote it down in some way before the purges. As she pondered this she (belatedly) realized that he must be talking about the Eladrin Empire. It wasn't likely that there was any record of this... If possible she also wanted more information. There was no reason to blindly follow the kobolds, after all. The scholar in her was actually quite fascinated by how both sides were skewing the story to favor their side. "Wait, Shen. There might be another way out of here without doing the kobolds' bidding." With Riishi translating, at least it wasn't impossible to communicate. "Hey, look, we're new here. You can't blame us for not knowing anything about your history. But thanks for filling in the gap for us. Listen, we're kind of stuck here. Is there any way for us to get out to the fey empire from here? The more you help us, the less likely it is that we'll have to kill the rest of your friends on the way up."
    history check? 1d20+10 = 27
    diplomacy: 1d20+6 = 21

I know I'm kind of making some stuff up here but i hope most of it works out. Also I don't really care if everyone wants to go all the way up and do what the kobolds want, just figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's...a great history check.

Emperor Thoros sounds familiar to you. He is indeed the ruler of the Fey Empire and (apparently) was Enthrexa's betrayer, so he's very very old. Most of the fey's story sounds true. But your reading suggests that the kobolds and the darkfey were cast out together. Perhaps they fought over Enthrexa's bride-gelt. It's impossible to know why each side now believes that they are the rightful owner of the artifact.

Come to think of it, you might know what the artifact is. It should be a beautiful glowing emerald. Legend says that it houses some of Enthrexa's essence to this day. As far as its magical properties are concerned, you're not certain, but you think they might be very powerful indeed.

The darkfey glares when you (through Riishi) mention the fey empire. "Why would you want to travel there? They are the most deadly and deceitful people you might imagine. They are beautiful and cruel and will ensnare you with their lies and corruption."

He grows silent. "There is a way out. I could not permit you to take our relic for in the hands of Thoros (cursed be he forever) it would become a weapon. But I would show you and we would not let harm come to you if you would leave the artifact alone." The tone of his voice is pleading at the last.

daniant on
  • Options
    "I'm not sure whether to believe him. The history part sure. Not trusting a darkone to let us out of here safe though..." Shen's prejudice towards this race is apparent in his tone, but he is first and foremost a businessman, and you make no money dead. "Although I do despise doing anything to help Kobolds...hmm."
    Insight to see if the darkfey is sincere=13

• Options
    I know! it makes sense that I would roll well on a questionably useful check!

"What do you guys think, should we take him up on his offer?" Alise asks, turning to the rest of the group and ignoring the darkfey's questioning of their motives for now. "I know you would love to let loose here, Shen, but if we accept his help then we won't have to fight our way back out when we're finished up here," she added, noting that his bow was still drawn and aimed straight at the darkfey's heart. Personally, her own very close brush with death made her lean towards getting a free ride out of here. They didn't really need the gem except as a bargaining chip against the kobolds. Still, if the others wanted to clear out the tower, she would just make sure to stand farther back next time - or put them all to sleep first before they got a chance to toss more of the vile stuff in her face.

"Well, in any case, if we want to keep after this artifact, I think I've heard about it before. It should be an emerald, probably giving off some sort of magical aura...impossible to miss, once we come across it. Does that sound like Enthraxa's marriage gift to you?" Alise asks the darkfey, smiling sweetly.

• Options
    Shen:
    As far as you know, the darkfey is telling the truth. As strange as that sounds.

The darkfey makes a half-arc symbol in the air and bows his head at the mention of the artifact. Alise recognizes it as a crescent- the symbol of Sehanine. He raises his head and looks at her. "You know of it. You must be a very powerful mystic. I have only seen it once, when I swore to protect it to the death. But I could never forget the lifestone." He gazes at Alise reverently. "If you leave it with us, I promise to protect you and guide you."

• Options
    Shen sighs and looks at the rest of the party. "Up to Persecutus and Riishi, I can't make a vote either way." He does lower his bow though. The confusion is evident as he thinks back over his previous encounters with the race. Had they really been all that bad? Perhaps it was the cunning of the target that had screwed him over and not their deceit? Oh to have clarity...but he would get none from this guard.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Persecutus watches the back and forth with growing rage, the blade of his axe twitching visibly near the prisoner's neck.

"My first instinct would be to eradicate both the darkfey and kobolds for their treacheries, leaving no trace of their existance. I will, however, yield to the more level-headed of us."

The tone of his voice indicates the authenticity of his statement. He glares down at the captured guard, making sure his body language and facial expression leave no language barrier. He then stands and moves away from the darkfey slightly before continuing.

"Possessing this gem would give us leverage over all parties to this little squabble. We should press on and retrieve it, though what we do with it requires further discussion and this is not the time or the place for that."

Having stated his opinion, the revenant waits patiently for the rest of the group to decide.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    “The only reason we wanted the treasure was because the reptiles convinced us it was rightfully theirs, and they would help us through the mountains if we returned it. We may have… acted hastily,” Riishi says with a self-sick look at the corpses around them. “And given what’s happened so far, I’d feel better following him than rejoining the kobolds.”
    Turning more directly to the survivor, Riishi asks “What would Thoros do with the ‘lifestone’, anyway? Isn’t Enthrexa long gone?”
    As a D&D player, it pains me to leave behind an artifact of untold power, especially when we've just massacred, unprovoked, some of the holders of that artifact. However, I don't see an IC need for it, and in fact, carrying it to Thoros (which seems likely our next stop) may be more dangerous than leaving it here.

One possible future gambit (just spitballin' here), may be to confront Thoros about the lifestone. We could say we've already raided the darkfey treasury, and they don't have it, so where is it, Mr. Thoros. Throwing him off the real location may help us win back the darkfey?

• Options
    Riishi: your innate understanding tells you that the darkfey might believe what he told you about th Fey being treacherous, but so far you've been assaulted by legends. You have no idea what the gem might do in the emperor's hands. You don't even know if he's still alive. You do know that a powerful artifact might give you an edge in the court.

On the other hand, you don't believe the darkfey is trying to deceive you. He seems genuinely impressed with Alise and you get the sense that he regards her both because she is a Mage and also because she is a woman.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The fey splays his hands. "I do not know the mysteries of the lifestone. Only the keepers and the high sorceress are initiated."

daniant on
  • Options
    Alise turns to the darkfey with some regret. She really didn't want to kill him, but there was no point in getting a free ride out if they would be assaulted as soon as they got out the other side. If there was one thing she had learned over the years, it was that if there was a way to stay ahead, you ought to take it...there was no knowing when you'd need that extra edge. "I'm sorry, but I think we'll need the jewel after all. Since most of us are of non-fey origin, we'll need all the help we can get...and that includes Enthraxa's marriage gift. We'll find our own way out." With those parting words, Alise heads a little ways up the stairs, waiting for the finishing blow to be dealt but not wanting to bear witness to it.

• Options
    "Persecutus, would you be so kind?" Shen turns to move further up the stairs, waiting to follow until he hears the slice-crunch.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Why do we kill? Is killing not the act of an animal? What separates a man from a beast?

Animals kill based on their instincts. They kill for food; they kill to protect their young. But this is where the similarities end. This is where the sentient races are separated from animals.

Sentient races kill for many reasons, and the act of killing itself becomes more of a philosophical question than an instinctual response. Good versus evil; law versus chaos; morality versus depravity; the ends versus the means. These are all things that mortals must take into account when choosing to end a life. For Persecutus, none of this exists. Only one thing remains that drives him: Purpose. His purpose is to destroy the nk'barra. To utterly and without mercy end the life of every being that would dare to hunt, capture and kill those with arcane powers. Without his purpose, he is nothing. No other axis exists for him other than this: Will the results of his action lead to the death of more nk'barra at his hands?

The lone darkfey lay on the cold stone floor, begging for his life. If allowed to live he would, so he says, lead the party from this place. But what then? Surely he would alert others within the city as soon as he was released. That action would lead to far more resistance from the darkfey, which would threaten the revenant's purpose. For Persecutus, the course of action was clear.

His axe fell with a thud. The blow was clean, expertly delivered.

With machine-like determination, Persecutus gathered the bodies of the dead and piled them in a corner, off the main stairwell as much as possible. Turning to the rest of the group his face was the same mask of single-minded resolve that it always was, red eyes shining in the dim light.

"We should continue before someone discovers the bodies."

I didn't roll for anything, but if I need to make sure I hit him or anything of that nature, let me know.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    Riishi jumped as the enormous axe bit into the stone floor. Worldessly, she helped Persecutus clean the scene of battle. The executioner’s red eyes betrayed no thoughts, though he was clearly preoccupied. Riishi didn’t like what had happened, but she hadn’t objected. Indeed, it was clearly the best option they had. The artifact was too powerful and too valuable to their purpose to leave behind. And the guard’s promises to help would surely evaporate if he found the chance to lead them to a battalion of his peers. The only way now was forward. And she didn’t look forward to retracing their steps to rejoin the kobolds…
    passive perception: 20 Any chance that guard had a tunnel map on him showing an exit to Thoros' kingdom?

• Options
    The bodies do not yield up anything of value to you except a few coins of strange origin. Bhow also pockets a brooch from the cloak of the lady because it seems very pretty.

You continue up into the darkness, around and around until you are dizzy. Finally, at the top of the staircase in the pinnacle of the tower, sits a glowing green door with the keyhole in the middle. Shen inserts the key and the door swings open silently.

The room is circular and very small. There are weapons of great value crossed on the walls and beautiful tapestries. A few chests sit at the sides of the room. In the center, floating in the middle of a glowing green pillar of light sits a huge marquis-cut emerald, the size of Alise's hand. It flashes bewitchingly in the light of the pillar.

You are in the sanctum of the darkelf.

• Options
    Shen lets out a slow whistle. "Careful, I'm sure this place has more security than those guards. Oh, and leave the gem for last...I'm going shopping." Moving cautiously into the room, Shen surveys the weapons on the wall to see if any in particular catch his eye before moving to the chests. Every step of the way he scans for anything obviously out of place or otherwise trappish.
    Perception and Dungeoneering to avoid anything suspiciously trappish=25, 25 gotta love symmetry.

• Options
    You see no conventional traps. However, this room reeks of the arcane.

On the other hand, there are a few nice weapons on the walls. You see a greatbow that sparks your fancy, and when you examine it, you realize that it is a
    Poisoned Greatbow

This weapon leaves a debilitating poison that saps an enemy's vitality and strength.
    Lvl 5 +1 1,000 gp

Enhancement Bonus: attack rolls and damage rolls

Critical: +1d6 poison damage per plus

Power (Poison) Daily (Free Action)

Use this power when you hit with the weapon. The target takes ongoing 5 poison damage and is weakened (save ends both).

• Options
    Alise had already felt the concentration of magic increasing as they neared the room. Now that they were right at the heart of it, it was almost suffocating. She scanned the room with her mind and eyes open, looking for any clues about the source of what she was feeling. "Although, if I had to guess, it would be either the jewel or something protecting the jewel..." she muttered to herself as she continued her investigation.
    arcana: 1d20+10 = 21

• Options
    His eye catching on the bow, Shen quickly snatches it up and gives the string a pull. "This will do nicely, anyone else find something nice?"

• Options
    Persecutus stands at the doorway, looking back into the hall and covering their escape route, axe and shield at the ready, in case any other darkfey happen upon them while they're investigating the room.

• Options
    The green light is woven with powerful protective spells. The jewel itself seems fine but it's hard to tell through the power of the light column.

• Options
    "Everyone, stay clear of that light for now. There seems to be something protecting the jewel...I'll see if I can do something about it...or at least divine a little more information about it." Her warning given, Alise focuses a little more, casting quick probing spells at the pillar to test its functions and see if there's any way to bring it down.
    arcana, again?: 1d20+10 = 22

• Options
    Shen does his part to help by staying well away from the gem and looking for anything that might be useful to the other members of the party. Maybe something "anti-poison" for Alise?
    Perception=24

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Alise: You feel that with a protective arcane shield around your mage hand, you could quickly grab the gem. You quickly weave your most powerful protective energies around your mage hand and snatch the gem. The hand is buffeted by arcane energies, but resists and deposits the gem into a pouch at your side. The green pillar instantly dissolves and the room is dark except for a faint blue light in a recessed alcove above.

Anialos: On the wall you spot a very nice robe for Alise. It is
    Repulsion Cloth Armor

Inlaid with esoteric runes, this armor can repel even the most persistent foes.
    Lvl 2 +1 520 gp

Enhancement Bonus: AC
    Power Daily (Minor Action)

Whenever an enemy moves into an adjacent square, you can push that enemy 1 square as an immediate reaction. This power lasts until the end of the encounter.

As you move over to inspect more of the weapons, Alise reaches out and grabs the jewel and the room is engulfed in darkness, making it almost impossible for anyone but Alise to see.

daniant on
  • Options
    "Hey, Alise. Gimme some light over here, got a nice robe for you." Shen snatches the robe and holds it in front of him. "Anyone got a sunrod? I might have one..." Shen rummages in his sack to see if he has one.